Princess Máxima, Current Events 4 (April - September 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henri M. said:
The EU Court of Justice's ruling in the case Princess Caroline de Monaco vs the Federal State of Germany has no enforcement outside the European Union. The Media Code in the Netherlands is build on this EU Court ruling.

The unconsented pictures made in private circumstances in Italy (a memberstate of the European Union) and published by a magazine vested in the Netherlands (a memberstate of the European Union) are prosecutable. Pictures made in Argentina and published in Argentina are not prosecutable. But a Dutch magazine buying these Argentinean pics and publishing them is prosecutable.

All according the EU Court ruling's principle that the basic right on an undisturbed private life sphere outweighs the interest a part of the public might have. With other words: the interest of a part of the public in trivia does not justify an appeal on Freedom of Press and Freedom of Information. According to the EU Court of Justice pictures of minor children of famous people or famous people clearly in private circumstances (walking in the park, shopping, playing with children) can not be published without the given consent of the person involved. That was the basic principle in the case Caroline vs Germany. The Prince and Princess of Orange have developed a pro-active attitude to get this EU Court ruling vested in the Netherlands legal jurisprudence. With success: all their lawsuits were succesful so far and they succeed in vesting a Media Code (with approval of the media involved).

The Olympic Winter Games in Torino can hardly be called 'private'. The Games were aired 'live', worldwide and the Prince was there in his capacity as a member of the International Olympic Committee. So the Prince watching events, together with the three Princesses was a choice with the knowlegde that the venue is overcrowded with media. That is a total different situation than pictures made of the Princesses on an empty beach, enjoying familial pleasures.

Most likely Party is testing how the temper is at Villa Eikenhorst, these days. It has been very calm with lawsuits, so far. Party is a small magazine in a heavy competition and then they will have calculated the risk of costly damages vs. extra publicity with exclusive pictures.

Thanks Henri! The EU, of course why didn't I clue into that connection, silly me.:bang:

i also believe they have more than one nanny, at least for the sake of emergencies when the main nanny can't come because of sickness or holidays. some days ago, in frederik's and mary's thread of current events, they mentioned that christian only has 2 nannies (i suppose the same number will remain even when now they have two babies) just in case mette hansen (the main one) can't come, there's always someone available. i have no doubt maxima wants to take personal care of her children and i believe so do all crown princesses - and all of them made it really clear, mary, letizia, mette marit and mathilde - but they obviously need someone to look after the girls when they are abroad.

Yeah, I kind of think there must be more than just one nanny. I used to have neighbors that had a daytime nanny and a night nanny. So that the parents didn't have to tend to the babies(they had twins) during the night. Which would make sense for such busy parents as a prince and a princess. Although I'm sure the schedule is divided up well and there are probably days when very little assistance is needed or wanted.

Henri M. said:
From what I know, there is only one nanny employed. Also there seems to be a nanny employed by the Zorreguieta family. I have seen pictures of latin-looking staff in nurse-like uniform carrying the little Princesses in and outside the appartments in Recoleta (a chique neighbourhood in Buenos Aires).

Henri M.,

As you describe this person, I would say it is a maid (a "cleaning lady") ,not a nanny. In these kind of boundaries, like Recoleta, most of the maids are given uniforms (to make clear that they're employed as housekeeping staff), while it is not so common to have them "uniformed" in other less-chique neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
Only one nanny

Aurora810 said:
Yeah, I kind of think there must be more than just one nanny. I used to have neighbors that had a daytime nanny and a night nanny. So that the parents didn't have to tend to the babies(they had twins) during the night. Which would make sense for such busy parents as a prince and a princess. Although I'm sure the schedule is divided up well and there are probably days when very little assistance is needed or wanted.

No I think there is only one nanny. Also when the Princesses Beatrix, Irene, Margriet and Christina were small (1940's and 1950's) there was only one nanny in the palace. Sometimes assisted by a governess for the elder ones.

The same on Drakensteyn estate: only one nanny (and later a governess) for the Princes Willem-Alexander, Friso and Constantijn.

Remember that also in big families with 7 children or so, there was only one nanny or governess. Fräulein Maria also had the care over a whole bunch of children in The Sound of Music, didn't she?

And remember that there are also more people walking around on Villa Eikenhorst: the maid, the cook, the butler, the Princess' beautician, the Prince's valet, the gardener, the secretaries, the guards outside.

Last edited:
Verde Esmeralda said:
Is THAT Prince Willem Alexander??????

Yes, he has swollen periods and non-swollen periods. Partly due to medicinal drugs (prednison) he needs to take for his immune deficiency (Besnier Boeck).

Funny you should mention that Henri, I was just thinking about all the people that are around the villa every day all day long. Therefore, it is likely that others help out with the children so only one nanny is officially employed.

Although I still think it is an interesting thought whether or not the prince or princess have gotten up to do a night time feeding with Ariane or their other 2 princesses.

I love the shots in Puerto Madero, for Princess Cataharina-Amalia looks beatiful in soft-blue. She is so natural and jolly, like her mother...I always laugh aloud when seeing her pics waving. She is a very self-conscient little Princesse! :D

And yes. I live in Recoleta and some high families likes to made their service to wear uniform, but it's not a rule of our neighborhood! Some does it, and some not!

Vanesa.

Aurora810 said:
Funny you should mention that Henri, I was just thinking about all the people that are around the villa every day all day long. Therefore, it is likely that others help out with the children so only one nanny is officially employed.

Although I still think it is an interesting thought whether or not the prince or princess have gotten up to do a night time feeding with Ariane or their other 2 princesses.

As to your last remark Aurora,the answer is yes,they did/do.
:)

I don't know about 30 or even 40 years agao.
But I sincerely doubt, that one nanny is enough for 3 infants/toddlers.
I could imagine, that Maxima and WA have a pediatric nurse right now to take care of Ariane.
But as Henry has already said, with the modern working hours, weekends, evening, night shifts and vacation one person (like mommy at home:ermm: ) would not be enough.
In earlier times, a nanny worked almost 24/7, of course she had an occasional afternoon and evening off, but nobody thought twice about it, that of course after a whole day of baby and childcare she would be available for nights too, since she slept in the room or at least nearby. (that wouldn't be considered extra work hours)
If I was in the royals shoes, I would certainly have two, just to make sure, that my kids are well looked after by people they can trust and whom I can trust to be there, if I am not. I simply can't see Maxima and co desperately on the phone trying to find a babysitter because her nanny has just called in sick.:neutral:

fee said:
I don't know about 30 or even 40 years agao.
But I sincerely doubt, that one nanny is enough for 3 infants/toddlers.
I could imagine, that Maxima and WA have a pediatric nurse right now to take care of Ariane.
But as Henry has already said, with the modern working hours, weekends, evening, night shifts and vacation one person (like mommy at home:ermm: ) would not be enough.
In earlier times, a nanny worked almost 24/7, of course she had an occasional afternoon and evening off, but nobody thought twice about it, that of course after a whole day of baby and childcare she would be available for nights too, since she slept in the room or at least nearby. (that wouldn't be considered extra work hours)
If I was in the royals shoes, I would certainly have two, just to make sure, that my kids are well looked after by people they can trust and whom I can trust to be there, if I am not. I simply can't see Maxima and co desperately on the phone trying to find a babysitter because her nanny has just called in sick.:neutral:

Well, so far we know, Princess Máxima in Wassenaar (and Princess Mabel in London and Princess Laurentien in Brussels) have one nanny each, aside from the staff doing their household. I think the nanny will only be there when Princess Máxima will not return home, which is in fact only the case when she is abroad for state visits, official visits or royal gatherings. The Princess (and the Prince!) seem devoted to the daughters and do not want to miss any moment when not necessary.

In these longer periods I think family or friends 'take over' the Princesses. It is known that the Zorreguieta's are in the Netherlands quite often. And Abuela Beatriz is, like Abuela María del Carmen, an immensely doted grandmother who probably likes to hear children's voices in the immense palaces.

:flowers:

Yeah, absolutely, I can see Abuela Beatrice getting up several times at night, because Amelia simply has a flu and since her nose is clogged, she wakes up every other minute. Or Alexia (almost 2) starts with her vivid dreams state, or surely Ariane will starts teething in half a year. Yes, I can picture her Majesty in her Delft blue terrycotton bath robe running along the corridor for the oompht time, while Maxima and WA are on duty in whatsoever....:rolleyes:

The Prince and Princess have started a lawsuit

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima have started a lawsuit against the weekly 'Party'.

Reason is last week's edition in which pictures were seen of the Princess with her two eldest daughters and a nanny, enjoying familial pleasures on an empty beach.

According the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (the State Information Service) the pictures were a clear breach with the Media Code Royal House, based on the European Court ruling in the case of Princess Caroline of Monaco vs Germany in which the right of an undisturbed private life was declared supreme over the freedom of press when publication serves no more than satisfying the interest of (a part of) the public in the private lifes of others.

Source.

fee said:
Yeah, absolutely, I can see Abuela Beatrice getting up several times at night, because Amelia simply has a flu and since her nose is clogged, she wakes up every other minute. Or Alexia (almost 2) starts with her vivid dreams state, or surely Ariane will starts teething in half a year. Yes, I can picture her Majesty in her Delft blue terrycotton bath robe running along the corridor for the oompht time, while Maxima and WA are on duty in whatsoever....:rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: wonder if she arranges her helmet hairdo before running between the girls with comfort, extra blanket, lost teddys and goodnight stoires, scaring away mosters under the beds:lol: . Lets be relaistic, she is 70 years old, even if she dots on her grandhcildren the alone care of 2-3 small girls for long times, I dont see it, at all.

Of course the mediacode is very good to keep up the illusion of "just one nanny", as the couple can arrange their photshoots in a superfamiliar setting. It does not just protect the children, but also the image one wishes to create about oneself.

BTW will they also sue HOLA since they published the pictures as well? or is it just the not so powerful not so rich magazines that are sued, just like the swedish royals did?

Larzen said:
BTW will they also sue HOLA since they published the pictures as well? or is it just the not so powerful not so rich magazines that are sued, just like the swedish royals did?

i think it's only dutch newspapers and magazines they have the privacy agreement with.

Larzen said:
Besides I think Maxima has alwys been quite realistic and not made any 100% mummy comments, Did she not even say at one trip that her kids had to be left with nannies quite some time?

I don't know if she said the word nanny at all, but she did say that the children would be better of staying at home in Wassenaar than dragging them all over the world. She added that she though that would be more done out of selfish reasons then for the good of the child.

-
In the mean time I can not get rid of the images of Abuela Beatrice in a Delft-blue nightrobe, running along the corridors at Huis ten Bosch...;)

Larzen said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: wonder if she arranges her helmet hairdo before running between the girls with comfort, extra blanket, lost teddys and goodnight stoires, scaring away mosters under the beds:lol: . Lets be relaistic, she is 70 years old, even if she dots on her grandhcildren the alone care of 2-3 small girls for long times, I dont see it, at all.

Of course the mediacode is very good to keep up the illusion of "just one nanny", as the couple can arrange their photshoots in a superfamiliar setting. It does not just protect the children, but also the image one wishes to create about oneself.

Was that the latest HOLA edition??

I think HOLA was just reporting about the incident with Party and the princess. By the way if they only have the agreement with dutch magazines why aren't there more pictures of their private lives through other international magazines. I would think that if this is true, then it would depict the whole purpose of suing national magazines when others can do it?

I am sorry !!
I found the link to the spanish HOLA and see of differend royal houses beautiful pictures from the last few days thanks for the information !

Why do they take so long to Christen little Ariane?

Aquarela said:
Why do they take so long to Christen little Ariane?

I think it's just the way it's done in Holland. Catharina-Amalia was 6 months old, when she was christened ! ;)

I just don't liked the choice "Hola" made of the photo of Princess Maxima's sad face. It was a pic taken some time ago...And they seems to say she is not pleased with returning to her "Royal Job", a thing that I hardly believes. :neutral:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
I just don't liked the choice "Hola" made of the photo of Princess Maxima's sad face. It was a pic taken some time ago...And they seems to say she is not pleased with returning to her "Royal Job", a thing that I hardly believes. :neutral:

Vanesa.

I think what they were trying to get at is that she is unpleasant about the incident of invasion of privacy done by Party magazine. She seems to love her "royal job" me thinks just not the paparazzi effects that may come with it.

lucien said:
She will resume her duties even sooner.

On June 22nd HRH,Chair of the Curatorium,will open the festive lustrum symposium of the Prince Claus Chair in the presence of HM Queen Beatrix and TRH Prince Friso (Co-Patron with his brother Prince Constantijn) and Princess Mabel at Noordeinde Palace,The Hague.
Het Koninklijk Huis

Info on the Prince Claus Chair:
Prince Claus Fund for Culture and Development

The ever changing calendar of the RF has mercy on us/those waiting for Princess Máxima to re-appear.
HRH will speech at the High Level Financial Inclusion Congress,organised by the British Ministry of Finance/Chancellor of the Exchequer,about financial services in developing countries,London tuesday june 19th.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Vanesa said:

Vanesa.

I get it now. Excuse my earlier post.

lucien said:
As to your last remark Aurora,the answer is yes,they did/do.
:)

That's good to know that they do. I'm not a parent but I can imagine that it would be quite special of time spent with a young child. I would hope that even royals would not want to miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom