Princess Irene (1942-), sister of King Constantine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexander, George II and Paul died as reigning monarchs due to, septicemia secondary to monkey bite (1922), heart failure (1947), and stomach cancer (1964), respectively.

Last edited:
Philippe Egalite' said:
What was widely publicized in the 60's was that queen Frederika and king Olav wanted princess Irene to marry prince Harald.
Of Norway? I thought Princess Sophie, (Sofia), wanted to marry him. Or was that just a passing interest? :ermm:

First they wanted Sofia of Greece (now Queen Sofia of Spain) to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway(around 1959/60).
Harald didn't want to marry just to content the Norwegian and Greek people.
Back then he already dated Sonja Haraldsen, who is now Queen Sonja.

Later they hoped for a wedding of CP Harald and Princess Irene of Greece.
Irene even learned Norwegian for this case.
Well, but Harald still dated Sonja.
So , also this marriage-wish didn't come true. ;)

I also once heard that this was the reason why Irene never married. Who knows, who knows..

Later they hoped for a wedding of CP Harald and Princess Irene of Greece.
I remember having read somewhere (can't quote unfortunately) that it was King Paul's (her father's) wish for Irene to marry Harald

Last edited by a moderator:
.......Later they hoped for a wedding of CP Harald and Princess Irene of Greece.
Irene even learned Norwegian for this case.....................
So , also this marriage-wish didn't come true. I also once heard that this was the reason why Irene never married. Who knows, who knows..

As discussed earlier, a hope/wish for a wedding between Harald and Yriny was widely rumored and recorded on paper print, in the 60s, in Greece.

I would seriously doubt though that this was the reason she never married. There is no documentation, whatsoever, that Yriny was in love with Harald. If anything, this would have been an arranged marriage.

One easy and reasonable answer is that even in the tumultuous 60's it was still unusual for European royals to marry outside their world (except for the British who had already established the precedent of marrying into British noble, but non-royal, families from the early 20th century) and, in addition, Queen Frederika knew very well that marrying into a defunct royal or princely family would provide neither the exuberant lifestyle nor the prestige she had in mind for her children.

A good possibility would have been for Yriny to marry a Greek gentleman of standing but this would have raised eyebrows and caused resentment in Greece.

One rumour that circulated widely and intensely back then among upper class circles in Athens, was that there was a romance between Yriny and a member of the Nomikos Shipping Family and that Queen Frederika was very much against the idea.

In any event, it is quite interesting that 40 years later, a different member of that family, Mr. Markos Nomikos, married princess Victoria de Borbon y Dos Sicilias, daughter of prince Carlos de Borbon y Dos Sicilias, Infante of Spain. The couple and their children live very quietly in Greece. Indeed, no one in Greece has any clue that Mr. Nomikos is married to a princess who is very close to the Spanish royal family.

Last edited:
I would seriously doubt though that this was the reason she never married. There is no documentation, whatsoever, that Yriny was in love with Harald. If anything, this would have been an arranged marriage.
I don't think so anyway. ;)
I just guess this "She never married because of Harald"-story was a good and very Hollywoody excuse for the press...
the media always needs some heartbreaking stories.

the day 8 april to the 24:00 in the greek tv, the journalist interviews to the princess Irene. It is the first interviews of the princess to a greek tv.
she will speak about the peace.........

I like very much princess Irene. She has been living in Spain since her mother died in 1981, she lives with king Juan Carlos and a queen Sofia, her sister. But she has a very discret life and you can see her in magazines just when she is on holidays with her family in Mallorca. She runs a charity fundation and it´s a woman who likes culture. I think she is a very interesting princess. Several months ago it was publised in Spain a book about her life, the writter had to "follow" her for longtime because she thought she was not so interesting and it´s was not necessary to write a book about her life. Finally the writer could get her desire and she wrote a lovely book about princess Irene. I said before, she is very discret.

I have found this news on Princess Irene of Greece.
it is a summary of an interview to the television of Greece
the interview has two parts
the first part, she is in palace of tatoi, she remembers when she was small girl. she speak about her parents.
she learned to love to classic music of his father.
She was the first in the line of succession from 1964 to 1965 (born Princess Alexia)
She speak about career in classic music in Greece and then in exile.
in the second part, she speak about his humanitarian work with the children of Albania
She is the princess of the peace
Greece is their home.
Loipon - Ðñéãêßðéóóá ÅéñÞíç: ÌéëÜåé ãéá ðñþôç öïñÜ - áðïêáëõðôéêá

I am looking for the video of the interview but I can not find it

Last edited by a moderator:
..............Greece is their home..................

I do not follow your bizarre comment. Greece can be home to every EU citizen if she/he so chooses, if she/he so pleases. Further, as you very well know, citizens of European States co-signatories of the Schengen Accord may walk in and out of Greece without even producing a passport!

Last edited:
I Have Commited An Error.
She Didn´t Say:
"greece Is Their House"
She Say, That She Feels Citizen Greek.
I Do Not Know As Is Passport Of Irene I Think That She Could Have A Passport Spanish Because She Live In Spain.if His Passport Is Spanish She Is Citizen European

I have been unable to locate this video.
The interview was given to well respected journalist Stavros Theodorakis and the MEGA Channel that represents the interests of the highly influential Lamprakis Publishing Co.
Princess Irene totally captivated and mesmerized the audience. I read many extremely positive comments in Greek Blogs, especially by young people.
She spoke candidly and de profundis on a wide spectrum of issues, from how she managed to save the lives of many cows by chartering an airplane to transport them from Europe back to India to the late King Farouk's advances to her mother Queen Frederika, and her concern about famine and the disadvantaged. During the video, she visited an impoverished gypsy family in the suburbs of Athens as well as Tatoi.
She spoke in support of her family but not in support of the monarchy as an institution.
Evidently, the interview was a triumph and the audience was totally disarmed by this self-calling "crazy" woman.

Crazy????
I Like Very Princess Irene. She Is Not Crazy Woman .she Is A Woman Realist .she Is As The Missionaries Religious That Is In Missions In Countries Poors.
She Think As Them.
They Think Of A Very Spiritual Way.

Today is Princess Irene name day. May She live a long, healthy life.

Evidently, the interview was a triumph and the audience was totally disarmed by this self-calling "crazy" woman.

*my bolding

Crazy????
I Like Very Princess Irene. She Is Not Crazy Woman .she Is A Woman Realist .she Is As The Missionaries Religious That Is In Missions In Countries Poors.
She Think As Them.
They Think Of A Very Spiritual Way.

Please read carefully. Philippe Egalite's post clearly states that it was Princess Irene herself who has said she was crazy, perhaps in a self-effacing way. No one else called her crazy.

HRH Princess Yrini underwent surgery at the Ruber International Clinic,Madrid,after her return from Greece last week due to a fall in Greece three days before and breaking two toes on one foot.

HM Queen Sofia remained with her sister at the clinic during the operation.
HRH is recovering well after the operation,two pins were placed in her foot.
Speedy recovery!

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE/RadialPress.

Last edited:
How sweet of Sofia, the 2 sure have a very close bond don't they! I really hope she recoveres quickly

Thanks for opening my eyes to Princess Irene.
I remember seeing photos of her when she was a young woman.
I am sure that she is probably devoted to her huge family.
Kudos to the family for including her in their vacations, activities ...
although she does not attend state dinners (I don't think), but then that is not her style.

She doesn't call herself crazy but excentric, and their nephews calls her tia Pecu (Aunt Pecu) for Peculiar.

That's funny!I guess you wanted to say 'thia' ('th' sounds like in the word 'theatre'),it means 'aunt' in Greek.

Oh,right!Then I guess her Spanish nephews-Felipe,Elena etc-call her "tia" and her Greek nephews-Pavlos,Alexia etc-call her 'thia".LOL

tia/thia peculiar or excentric

She must be good aunt.

Pics 20.11.2008

Princess Irene gives a speech after receiving the Honour Medal of the
Byzantine, Cypriot for her work as chairwoman of the charitable organisation
'A World in Harmony' in the University of Granada, Spain, 20 November 2008.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Queen Sofia said many years ago.
She would like to be as her sister,a woman that she doesn´t worry by her physical appearance.The Queen Sofie said that she would like wear the hair in a bun as her sister, but her condition of Queen obligated to her to worry about her physical appearance.

She said that Princess Irene was a soul free

I think that Princess Irene is an exceptional woman, she has a way of thinking and living differently to the rest of people, she has her own philosophy about life ... That makes Princess Irene an exceptional person.​

Princess Irene is in Athens these days for some charity events.I think it has to do with her organisation,"World in Harmony".I saw her in the news.She was sitting in the first raw while someone else was giving a speech.And something else:there's a show on Alpha TV called "Are you in?" with many different guests every time (actors,journalists,singers,athletes etc.).One of them earns an amount of money every time and is free to choose to which organisation he/she will offer the money.A couple of weeks ago the winner was Mr.Christos Zambounis,the Director of the magazine Life & Style(and a very serious journalist,of course).He earned 8000 Euros and donated them to the "World in Harmony".He's the one who always traveled to NY and then London to make those interviews with Pavlos and MC and all of the other GRF members,so I guess there's a strong bond among them.I hope they will continue giving such exclusive interviews to Life & Style,especially after the donation...lol

Has anyone noticed that the 2 sisters were named after the 2 most valuable historical Orthodox temples of Byzantine Constantinople?Agia Irene and Agia Sofia that stand for centuries next to each other in the Old Town of Constantinople.And of course their brother took his name from Constantine,the funder and first emperor of the City :flowers: King Pavlos made wise choices,in my opinion.

I had not thought about it, it is best to stop reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Chistie ...it is very good. But Constantine have the name by tradition in the Royal family of Greece.It was the name of his grandfather.
the Queen Sofia said in her memories that her name was a tribute to her grandmother...

Another coincidence, Maria Olimpia was christened in Constantinopla

Back
Top Bottom