King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Anne-Marie looks like she has had some rest and relaxed a bit after what must have been an exhausting week.

And nice to see her sister in law,Queen Sofia present too.

My Godson knows well Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie Chantal. It is not possible to have the same livestyle they have in the USa in Greece.

The coverage was huge and very long. The State TV (ERT) broadcasted the whole ceremony, and they were cameras constantly out of the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Private TVs also the got from ERT and transmitted. Many articles and discussions.
Extremely huge coverage had years ago the wedding of N&T in Spetses, less was the wedding of P&N in Athens, one year ago.
To cut the story short: Limelight and Lifestyle : They like and transmit.

Now for the way of talking about. There is a general fear to call the GRF by their real titles...
So they call the Late King: the former King, the Ex.. the Gluksburg ... or simply Constantine.
They were afraid to pronounce Queen AM and they called her : his wife ...
Greeks are not very aware of correct use of titles and they use them wrongly or at all.
It is strange; they call Mr Minister someone who has been Minister for one year.. but they fear to call King or Prince ....

Political parties talked about in different ways depending of their orientation: Some of them had a shameful language, which I would not report...
But the story is far long, starting from the fact that the GRF was forbidden to come to Greece since 1974, for more than 20 years and also the shameful way the burial of late dowager Queen Frederika was held in 1981.

What people think? Depending on their political orientation. Don't forget that in the 1974 referendum they were 30% royalist. How many would be 50 years after? No idea.
They GRF regained a wave of limelight and sympathy the last decades since the wedding of P&MC, then N&T and since their Majesties established again in Greece. Many people saw that they are normal gentle people and not sanguin Draculas.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Thank you fandesacs. Very interesting and I'm glad the Greek public has a kinder view of the family.

The coverage was huge and very long. The State TV (ERT) broadcasted the whole ceremony, and they were cameras constantly out of the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Private TVs also the got from ERT and transmitted. Many articles and discussions.
Extremely huge coverage had years ago the wedding of N&T in Spetses, less was the wedding of P&N in Athens, one year ago.
To cut the story short: Limelight and Lifestyle : They like and transmit.

Now for the way of talking about. There is a general fear to call the GRF by their real titles...
So they call the Late King: the former King, the Ex.. the Gluksburg ... or simply Constantine.
They were afraid to pronounce Queen AM and they called her : his wife ...
Greeks are not very aware of correct use of titles and they use them wrongly or at all.
It is strange; they call Mr Minister someone who has been Minister for one year.. but they fear to call King or Prince ....

Political parties talked about in different ways depending of their orientation: Some of them had a shameful language, which I would not report...
But the story is far long, starting from the fact that the GRF was forbidden to come to Greece since 1974, for more than 20 years and also the shameful way the burial of late dowager Queen Frederika was held in 1981.

What people think? Depending on their political orientation. Don't forget that in the 1974 referendum they were 30% royalist. How many would be 50 years after? No idea.
They GRF regained a wave of limelight and sympathy the last decades since the wedding of P&MC, then N&T and since their Majesties established again in Greece. Many people saw that they are normal gentle people and not sanguin Draculas.

Thanks for this personal analysis of the coverage.
And by all accounts the King and Greek RF remained popular among the Greek diaspora,especially in the UK!

There's nothing diplomatically sensitive about the Pope.

How would they refer to Constantine? As "former King Constantine" or as "King Constantine" the way the Court usually did? His death is not a good occasion to give the Greek government something to complain about and a chance for point-scoring.

I am sure King Charles called Anne-Marie since they've always been close, and that's probably all the family cares about.
Well, other reigning monarchies had no problem with it...

It would be interesting to hear from people in the know how the Greek Media handled this. How was the reporting from the funeral, what are the sentiments in Greece in general? Was there a reaction to the fact that all of Europe's main royals honoured the former King in this way?

Curious as to why I recognized no one there representing the House of Savoy(Italy) or the Orleans of France.

No friendship with the GRF at all?

Curious as to why I recognized no one there representing the House of Savoy(Italy) or the Orleans of France.

Prince Michels mother was a Princess of Orleans. But this does make tight bonds to late King.
On the other side they have multiple bonds to the Aosta family. Buy none was there. I was astonished.
For the Savoy family no idea if they are links.
Did someone see Princess Tatiana Radzwill ? She is very close to Queen Sofia and was also Bridemade to the royal wedding in 1964

I don't recall seeing Princess Tatiana Radzwill and I was looking out for her as she's almost always at these family events.

It must mean that they are not so close indeed. King Pavlos and Queen Frederika were still friendly enough with the count and countess of Paris and the King Umberto and Queen Marie-José to invite them to royal events but it seemed that that friendship did not extend to the younger generations.

The present count seems of course a rather eccentric person with original ideas, I can't see him having much in common with any of the Greek princes.

The Italian RF has been treated differently from the other families that lost their crown after WWII by most of the reigning monarchies. I am not sure if this has to do with the Italian monarchy's role in that war. Or if it has to do with the personality of the prince of Piedmont.

I was also surprised by the absence of the Aosta's and Pss Tatiana Radziwill. I also expected ADss Helen (née Css Toerring) to be there, she often is.

Last edited:

Jean de Orleans, head of Orleans family made a statement regarding to King Constantine's death.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnRMZE7MJD4/
Jean and Constantine are not closely related by blood, though. So, it's a nice gesture from him to issue such statement.

The guest list of the funeral is limited. The church is not a big church. It's normal if the GRF didn't invite the Orleans or the Savoy.
A side note : The GRF are more closely blood-related to the House of Prussia(Hohenzollern) than to the Orleans or Savoy. The grandmother of King Constantine II was a Prussian princess. Yet, there is no representative from that house.

Last edited:
Jean de Orleans, head of Orleans family made a statement regarding to King Constantine's death.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnRMZE7MJD4/
Jean and Constantine are not closely related by blood, though. So, it's a nice gesture from him to issue such statement.

The guest list of the funeral is limited. The church is not a big church. It's normal if the GRF didn't invite the Orleans or the Savoy.
A side note : The GRF are more closely blood-related to the House of Prussia(Hohenzollern) than to the Orleans or Savoy. The grandmother of King Constantine II was a Prussian princess. Yet, there is no representative from that house.
I think only Hannover representatives were there. No other German Royal family, neither Hohenzoller nor any other through Late DoE sisters, all married in Germany. Also Princess Élisabeth of Greece, sister of Princess Marin and Olga was married in Germany and should also have issue.

I think only Hannover representatives were there. No other German Royal family, neither Hohenzoller nor any other through Late DoE sisters, all married in Germany. Also Princess Élisabeth of Greece, sister of Princess Marin and Olga was married in Germany and should also have issue.

The Badens were there as well.

Back
Top Bottom