King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5 minutes left, hundreds won't be able to bid him farewell.
Protothema reports that at least 15 vans are already parked outside the Grand Bretagne. The Minister of the Interior is also there.

Last edited:
there are many people to fire the King. I knew that it would be it, but I am surprised, it is much more than people than I thought

there are many people to fire the King. I knew that it would be it, but I am surprised, it is much more than people than I thought

Were you able to go?

The funeral thread has already been opened earlier this morning, so please use it for all related to today's funeral events.
A few posts have already been moved to the funeral thread.

One hour to go and there's still a LOT of people waiting to pay their final respects.

Definitely dark blue and white. It would be quite odd, but it is the same shade of the Greek Flag during the military junta.

On itself that was the last flag under the Kingdom (with an "empty throne"), as the new republic adopted the current version.

Most news websites are all running the same obit from kathermiri newspaper, which is a pretty backhanded piece that dwells on his political failures of the 1960s and the long aftermath of them. It’s deeply unfair to HLM as it misses what was the more interesting thing about Constantine; the way he was able to create a meaningful and happy life for himself and his family following those failures and in a way, rise above them. True, his family connections played a big part in his ability to do so but very few other deposed kings in the twentieth century managed this. Despite all the disappointments and setbacks, it was a life very well led. RIP

Did you mean ekathimerini.com? While its obituary appears to be written for an audience which is already acquainted with the events of Konstantinos's reign, and its description of those events seems to be partial to Georgios Papandreou and the left-wing and assign most of the blame to the king, it does go into more detail than most English-language obituaries.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/in-depth/1202120/constantine-ii-the-last-king-of-greece/
https://www.ekathimerini.com/in-dep...-military-training-and-athletic-achievements/
https://www.ekathimerini.com/in-depth/1202225/constantine-ii-from-royal-coup-to-downfall/
https://www.ekathimerini.com/in-depth/1202224/the-end-of-the-monarchy

I came across this detailed obituary in the Telegraph which goes into more detail on his life in exile in England.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituar...-ii-hellenes-last-king-greece-who-spent-life/

Queen Anne-Marie looks like she has had some rest and relaxed a bit after what must have been an exhausting week.

I hope she's OK, though. Standing for long periods in heels and walking on the uneven ground at Tatoi must have taken a toll.

I just realized that the BRF official Instagram page didn't publish any condolences about HLM passing. Not delicate at all. A pity.
The Danish RF did an extended mention

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I just realized that the BRF official Instagram page didn't publish any condolences about HLM passing. Not delicate at all. A pity.
The Danish RF did an extended mention

Not surprising that the Danish royal family pays much more attention to it; as the husband of the queen's sister passed away; who himself is a direct descendant of a Danish king - and who travelled on a Danish diplomatic passport, since he couldn't have a Greek one (unless he met their conditions, which he wasn't willing to do).

Not surprising that the Danish royal family pays much more attention to it; as the husband of the queen's sister passed away; who himself is a direct descendant of a Danish king - and who travelled on a Danish diplomatic passport, since he couldn't have a Greek one (unless he met their conditions, which he wasn't willing to do).
Of course. But the BRF published nothing. They published condolences for the former Pope but nothing for their King's second cousin?

Of course. But the BRF published nothing. They published condolences for the former Pope but nothing for their King's second cousin?

There's nothing diplomatically sensitive about the Pope.

How would they refer to Constantine? As "former King Constantine" or as "King Constantine" the way the Court usually did? His death is not a good occasion to give the Greek government something to complain about and a chance for point-scoring.

I am sure King Charles called Anne-Marie since they've always been close, and that's probably all the family cares about.

Not even a personal post from his godson.

I think the narrative about how close the BRF is to this royal or that royal needs to stop tbh.

How would they refer to Constantine? As "former King Constantine" or as "King Constantine" the way the Court usually did? His death is not a good occasion to give the Greek government something to complain about and a chance for point-scoring.

I am sure King Charles called Anne-Marie since they've always been close, and that's probably all the family cares about.
This dilemma of how to call him is a non existing dilemma. The BRF could call him according to the existing protocol. His Majesty King Constantine, former King of the Hellenes. Titles are never lost.
It is simple and i don't know why a stupid part of my compatriots make such a fuss

The BRF only use their social media or website or even statements for "official" things, simply put this wasn't an official thing so didn't get posted about. There is very little doubt in my mind that the King and William will have communicated with Pavlos and Anne Marie but that will have been done in private. Pope Emeritus Benedict is not an equal measure - he was a "retired" Head of State and Sovereign officially recognised by the state he was once Head of - just like former Presidents of America and so on.

Quite simply, I'm not sure how the British RF would have felt able to post publicly on their official social media and online channels about the death of someone considered a private person and with whom the Greek government had tricky relations. The simple fact is, as Constantine was no longer a reigning King nor part of a Royal House recognised in any official way by the now Republic of Greece there was nothing to post. To the "official" side of the RF - i.e. their Household, it would be just like when the late Duke of Westminster died - a death of a private family friend.

Today the PPOW Twitter posted a message of condolence for a private citizen....was that official? And if someone says that was in their private capacity because they signed it W&C...well that proves alot of people's point about why not post about losing a godfather on a "personal" capacity?

It would be interesting to hear from people in the know how the Greek Media handled this. How was the reporting from the funeral, what are the sentiments in Greece in general? Was there a reaction to the fact that all of Europe's main royals honoured the former King in this way?

Commenting on the death of a a holocaust survivor they met on an official engagement is different from commenting on the death of a personal friend who has no official role nor who is recognised by the Greek State. I would think there would be plenty of other things to talk about that actually concerns Constantine.

It would be interesting to hear from people in the know how the Greek Media handled this. How was the reporting from the funeral, what are the sentiments in Greece in general? Was there a reaction to the fact that all of Europe's main royals honoured the former King in this way?
The coverage was huge and very long. The State TV (ERT) broadcasted the whole ceremony, and they were cameras constantly out of the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Private TVs also the got from ERT and transmitted. Many articles and discussions.
Extremely huge coverage had years ago the wedding of N&T in Spetses, less was the wedding of P&N in Athens, one year ago.
To cut the story short: Limelight and Lifestyle : They like and transmit.

Now for the way of talking about. There is a general fear to call the GRF by their real titles...
So they call the Late King: the former King, the Ex.. the Gluksburg ... or simply Constantine.
They were afraid to pronounce Queen AM and they called her : his wife ...
Greeks are not very aware of correct use of titles and they use them wrongly or at all.
It is strange; they call Mr Minister someone who has been Minister for one year.. but they fear to call King or Prince ....

Political parties talked about in different ways depending of their orientation: Some of them had a shameful language, which I would not report...
But the story is far long, starting from the fact that the GRF was forbidden to come to Greece since 1974, for more than 20 years and also the shameful way the burial of late dowager Queen Frederika was held in 1981.

What people think? Depending on their political orientation. Don't forget that in the 1974 referendum they were 30% royalist. How many would be 50 years after? No idea.
They GRF regained a wave of limelight and sympathy the last decades since the wedding of P&MC, then N&T and since their Majesties established again in Greece. Many people saw that they are normal gentle people and not sanguin Draculas.

Thank you for that fandesacs, I much appreciate your view point. I was a big fan of his all the way in Australia, with no Greek heritage myself.
He will be missed, especially by Royals all over Europe.

Um... Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes? It's not that difficult. It's common courtesy.

I can't help but find this constant need to bend over backwards to defend the BRF's blatant indifference to other royal families laughable. Charles clearly didn't consider it too "diplomatically sensitive" to make Constantine godfather of his son, the future King. And last I checked, 1982 was a lot closer to 1973 than 2023 is.

Likewise, the Greek government hasn't seemed to care that the monarchs of Denmark, Sweden, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Monaco attended the funeral of a former fellow head of state but you want me to believe all hell would break loose if the BRF acknowledged his death on social media or if William had attended his godfather's funeral? ?

For whatever reason, the BRF doesn't care to show "equal" consideration to other royal families. Make of it what you like but given that it is nothing new, let's not pretend the reason is diplomatic (even though I concur that that sounds a lot better than, say, that the BRF considers itself above other royal families).

Last edited:
All royal houses except of the BRF are only left for yellow press IMO. None takes them really serious any more.
(..)
I should remind you that MO is one of Charles' godchildren as well.
So now , who represented Charles - Gabriella Kingston or even MO or maybe a third person?

Last edited by a moderator:
Um... Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes? It's not that difficult. It's common courtesy.

I can't help but find this constant need to bend over backwards to defend the BRF's blatant indifference to other royal families laughable. Charles clearly didn't consider it too "diplomatically sensitive" to make Constantine godfather of his son, the future King. And last I checked, 1982 was a lot closer to 1973 than 2023 is.

Likewise, the Greek government hasn't seemed to care that the monarchs of Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Monaco attended the funeral of a former fellow head of state but you want me to believe all hell would break loose if the BRF acknowledged his death on social media or if William had attended his godfather's funeral? ?

For whatever reason, the BRF doesn't care to show "equal" consideration to other royal families. Make of it what you like but given that it is nothing new, let's not pretend the reason is diplomatic (even though I concur that that sounds a lot better than, say, that the BRF considers itself above other royal families).
Exactly. I don't have any idea neither is subject here of how the BRF consider the other royals.
But I don't think that the 7 countries of the ruling royals who did attend by sending their highest member (Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Monaco, Luxembourg) and the 2 who had their no2 :Norway and Lichtenstein(?) took such a political and diplomatic risk... which UK could not take by publishing just a condolences declaration.

Back
Top Bottom