Kings and Queens of Scotland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
The monarch of Scotland was the head of state of the Kingdom of Scotland. According to tradition, the first King of Scots was Kenneth I MacAlpin (Cináed mac Ailpín), who founded the state in 843.

Kenneth I:
Kenneth I is traditionally considered the founder of Scotland, which was then known as Alba, although like his immediate successors, he bore the title of King of the Picts. One chronicle calls Kenneth the first Scottish lawgiver but there is no information about the laws he passed.

King of the Picts
King of Dál Riada
Reign843 – 13 February 858
PredecessorDrest X
SuccessorDonald I
Reign841 – 850
PredecessorAlpín mac Echdach
SuccessorTitle disestablished
Born810
Iona
DiedFebruary 13, 858 (aged 47–48)
Forteviot, Perthshire, Scotland
BurialIona Abbey
Issue
  • Causantín mac Cináeda
  • Áed mac Cináeda
  • Máel Muire ingen Cináeda
  • Unknown daughter
Regnal name
Posthumous name
Kenneth I
An Ferbasach
Medieval GaelicCináed mac Ailpin
HouseAlpin
FatherAlpín mac Echdach

Domnall mac Ailpín, anglicised sometimes as Donald MacAlpin and known in most modern regnal lists as Donald I (812 – 13 April 862), was King of the Picts from 858 to 862. He followed his brother Kenneth I to the Pictish throne.

King of the Picts
Reign11 February 858–13 April 862
PredecessorKenneth I
SuccessorConstantine I
Born812
Died13 April 862
Cinnbelachoir?, Rathinveralmond?
BurialIona
IssueGiric?
HouseAlpin
FatherAlpín mac Echdach

Causantín mac Cináeda (died 877) was a king of the Picts. He is often known as Constantine I in reference to his place in modern lists of Scottish monarchs, but contemporary sources described Causantín only as a Pictish king. A son of Cináed mac Ailpín ("Kenneth MacAlpin"), he succeeded his uncle Domnall mac Ailpín as Pictish king following the latter's death on 13 April 862. It is likely that Causantín's reign witnessed increased activity by Vikings, based in Ireland, Northumbria and northern Britain. He died fighting one such invasion.

King of the Picts
Reign862–877
PredecessorDonald I
SuccessorÁed
Bornc. 836
Died877
possibly Inverdovat, Fife, Scotland
BurialIona
IssueDonald II, King of the Picts/of Alba
HouseAlpin
FatherKenneth I, King of the Picts (Cináed mac Ailpín)

Last edited:
The legacy of King Kenneth I is intertwined with the Stone of Scone.

King Donald I painted by George Jamesone

The ruins of Linlithgow Palace are located in the town of Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland, 15 miles (24 km) west of Edinburgh. The palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. Although maintained after Scotland's monarchs left for England in 1603, the palace was little used, and was burned out in 1746.
Stirling Castle, located in Stirling, is one of the largest and most historically and architecturally important castles in Scotland. The castle sits atop an intrusive
Before the union with England, Stirling Castle was also one of the most used of the many Scottish royal residences, very much a palace as well as a fortress. Several Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at Stirling, including Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1542, and others were born or died there.
Falkland Palace, in Falkland, Fife, Scotland, is a royal palace of the Scottish Kings. It was one of the favourite places of Mary, Queen of Scots, providing an escape from political and religious turmoil.

Last edited:
Áed mac Cináeda (falecido em 878) era filho de Cináed mac Ailpín. Tornou-se rei dos pictos em 877, quando sucedeu a seu irmão Constantín mac Cináeda. Ele foi apelidado de Áed das Flores Brancas , o de pés alados ou de pés brancos .

Last edited:
Giric mac Dúngail (fl. c. 878-889), conhecido em inglês simplesmente como Giric e apelidado de Mac Rath ("Filho da Fortuna"), foi um rei dos pictos ou rei de Alba. Os anais irlandeses não registram nada sobre o reinado de Giric, nem os escritos anglo-saxões acrescentam nada, e a escassa informação que sobreviveu é contraditória. Os historiadores modernos discordam sobre se Giric foi o único rei ou governou juntamente com Eochaid, sobre sua ascendência, e se ele deveria ser considerado um rei picto ou o primeiro rei de Alba.
Eochaid ab Rhun (fl. 878-889) foi um rei de Strathclyde do século IX, que também pode ter sido rei dos pictos. Ele era filho de Rhun ab Arthgal, rei de Strathclyde, e descendia de uma longa linhagem de reis britânicos. A mãe de Eochaid é considerada filha de Cináed mac Ailpín, Rei dos Pictos.

Last edited:
Domnall mac Causantín , anglicizado como Donald II (falecido em 900), foi Rei dos Pictos ou Rei de Alba no final do século IX. Ele era filho de Constantino I (Causantín mac Cináeda). Donald recebe o epíteto Dásachtach , "o Louco", pela Profecia de Berchán .
Causantín mac Áeda (gaélico moderno: Còiseam mac Aoidh , anglicizado Constantino II ; nascido o mais tardar em 879; falecido em 952) foi um dos primeiros reis da Escócia, conhecido então pelo nome gaélico Alba . O Reino de Alba, um nome que aparece pela primeira vez durante a vida de Constantino, estava situado no atual norte da Escócia.
Máel Coluim mac Domnaill (anglicizado Malcolm I ; falecido em 954) foi rei de Alba (antes de 943-954), tornando-se rei quando seu primo Constantino II abdicou para se tornar monge. Ele era filho de Donald II.

Last edited:
The Crown of Scotland is the centrepiece of the Honours of Scotland. It is the crown that was used at the coronation of the monarchs of Scotland, and it is the oldest surviving crown in the British Isles and among the oldest in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom