On this Day in German Royal/Imperial History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, July 19, 1810 - Demise of Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen of Prussia, wife of Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia

Its reported that Napoleon upon hearing the news of her death remarked that the king "has lost his best minister".

Louise was a politically active queen and had met the Emperor in 1807.

640px-Nicolas_Gosse_-_Napoleon_receives_the_Queen_of_Prussia_at_Tilsit%2C_July_6%2C_1807.jpg

On this day, July 20, 1951 - Demise of Crown Prince Wilhelm of German, son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, in Hechingen, Germany

The last German Crown Prince and Crown Prince of Prussia was buried at Hohenzollern Castle.

His widow Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin died 3 years later at Bad Kissingen.

The last German Crown Prince and Crown Prince of Prussia was buried at Hohenzollern Castle.

His widow Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin died 3 years later at Bad Kissingen.

Und through concidence she died on her husband's birthday.

On this day, July 25, 1860 - Birth of Louise Margaret of Prussia, Duchess of Connaught, wife of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, at Marmorpalais in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, July 26, 1865 - Birth of Marie of Baden, Duchess of Anhalt, wife of Friedrich II of Anhalt, in Baden-Baden, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, July 28, 1860 - Birth of Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna of Russia, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, wife of Friedrich Franz III, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, at Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia

Last edited by a moderator:
The Grand Duchess Anastasia was the daughter of Grand Duke Michael Nikolaevich of Russia and Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna of Russia (formerly Princess Cecilie of Baden).

Princess Cecilie of Baden was her a granddaughter of King Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden.

On this day, July 29, 1735 - Demise of Sophie Luise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Queen in Prussia, wife of Friedrich I, King in Prussia

On this day, July 29, 1735 - Demise of Sophie Luise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Queen in Prussia, wife of Friedrich I, King in Prussia

Following her death the queen is buried at the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai in Schwerin.

399px-Sophie_Luise_von_Mecklenburg-Schwerin%2C_K%C3%B6nigin_von_Preu%C3%9Fen.jpg

On this day, July 30, 1833 - Birth of Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria. He was the grandfather of Emperor Charles I of Austria.

On this day, August 3, 1770 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

Following the death of queen Louise (of Mecklenburg-Strelitz) in 1810 the king married the Roman Catholic Countess Auguste von Harrach zu Rohrau und Thannhausen in secret at the Charlottenburg Palace. As it was a Morganatic marriage Charlotte did not become queen and was given the title Princess von Liegnitz and Countess von Hohenzollern.

476px-Auguste_Princess_von_Liegnitz%2C_after_Wilhelm_von_Schadow.jpg

On this day, August 5, 1901 - Demise of Victoria, German Empress, wife of Emperor Friedrich III of Germany, at Friedrichshof

On this day, August 8, 1832 - Birth of King Georg of Saxony in Dresden, Kingdom of Saxony

On this day, August 11, 1863 - Birth of Ernest Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, in Dolzig, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 14, 1688 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm I, King of Prussia, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 17, 1887 - Birth of Archduke Charles of Austria (Karl I, Emperor of Austria), at the Castle of Persenberg in Persenberg-Gottsdorf, Austria

On this day, August 17, 1887 - Birth of Archduke Charles of Austria (Karl I, Emperor of Austria), at the Castle of Persenberg in Persenberg-Gottsdorf, Austria

His mother Archduchess Maria Josepha was the the mother of the last Austrian Emperor but surprisingly was never an Empress herself.

335px-Kazimierz_Pochwalski_-_Portrait_of_Princess_Maria_Josepha_of_Saxony_1897.jpg

On this day, August 18, 1830 - Birth of Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria, at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, August 20, 1752 - Birth of Friederike of Hesse-Darmstadt, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of Grand Duke Charles II of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, in Darmstadt, Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt

On this day, August 22, 1658 - Birth of Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld in Gotha, Duchy of Saxe-Gotha. He founded the House of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

On this day, August 23, 1945 - Demise of Crown Princess Stephanie of Austria. She had been the spouse of Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria.

On this day, August 24, 1909 - Birth of Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, son of Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, at Reinhardsbrunn Castle, in Friedrichroda, Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

Grandfather and Grandson share the same first name and same birthday.

On this day, August 25, 1786 - Birth of King Ludwig I of Bavaria in Strasbourg, France
:bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag:
On this day, August 25, 1845 - Birth of King Ludwig II of Bavaria at Nymphenburg Palace in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

Grandfather and Grandson share the same first name and same birthday.

On this day, August 25, 1786 - Birth of King Ludwig I of Bavaria in Strasbourg, France
:bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag::bavariaflag:
On this day, August 25, 1845 - Birth of King Ludwig II of Bavaria at Nymphenburg Palace in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

Very interesting that both Ludwig's were born on the same day and Ludwig II being named in honour of his grandfather!

Very interesting that both Ludwig's were born on the same day and Ludwig II being named in honour of his grandfather!

Well, the August 25th is what we call in Germany the "Namenstag", name day, of Ludwig, some holy Saint of the Catholic Church called Ludwig probably has his day there or something.

Well, the August 25th is what we call in Germany the "Namenstag", name day, of Ludwig, some holy Saint of the Catholic Church called Ludwig probably has his day there or something.

Its the Feast of St/King Louis of France so either that or he was simply just named after his grandfather.

On this day, August 28, 1779 - Birth of Antoinette of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Duchess of Wurttemberg, in Coburg, Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

On this day, August 30, 1831 - Demise of Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, wife of Duke Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

On this day, September 2, 1883 - Birth of Archduchess Elisabeth Marie of Austria, the daughter of Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria, at Schloss Laxenburg in Laxenburg, Austria

On this day, September 4, 1800 - Birth of Queen Pauline of Wurttemberg, wife of King Wilhelm I of Wurttemberg, in Riga, Russian Empire

On this day, September 6, 1924 - Demise of Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria, daughter of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, at Schloss Wallsee in Sindelburg, Austria

On this day, September 9, 1826 - Birth of Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden in Karlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, September 11, 1822 - Birth of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia in St. Petersburg, Russia. She became Queen Olga of Wurttemberg, wife of King Karl I of Wurttemberg.

On this day, September 13, 1892 - Birth of Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia, Princess of Hanover, Duchess of Brunswick, daughter of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, at Marmorpalais in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, September 17, 1871 - Birth of Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine, in Lich, Principality of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich

On this day, September 19, 1803 - Birth of Maria Anna of Savoy, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria, at the Palazzo Colonna in Rome, Papal States

On this day, September 20, 1886 - Birth of Crown Princess Cecilie of Germany (Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin), wife of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany, in Schwerin, Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

On this day, September 25, 1744 - Birth of King Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia at the Stadtschloss in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, September 26, 1994 - Demise of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, son of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, in Bremen, Germany

On this day, September 26, 1994 - Demise of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, son of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, in Bremen, Germany

He died on 25.09.194, so yesterday was the anniversary of his death.

On this day, September 30, 1811 - Birth of Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, German Empress and Queen of Prussia, wife of Wilhelm I, German Emperor and King of Prussia, in Weimar, Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

On this day, October 1, 1919 - Demise of Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen, the daughter of Emperor Frederick III of Germany, at Baden-Baden, Germany

On this day, October 3, 2004 - Beatification of Emperor Charles I of Austria by the Roman Catholic Church

On this day, October 9, 1937 - Demise of Ernest Louis (Ludwig), Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine at Schloss Wolfsgarten in Langen, Germany

On this day, October 15, 1795 - Birth of King Frederick William IV of Prussia at the Crown Prince's Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, October 16, 1751 - Birth of Friederike Luise of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Frederick William II of Prussia, in Prenzlau, Margraviate of Brandenburg

On this day, October 18, 1831 - Birth of Friedrich III, German Emperor and King of Prussia, at Neues Palais in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, October 22, 1858 - Birth of Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, German Empress and Queen of Prussia, wife of German Emperor Wilhelm II, in Dolzig Palace in Lubsko, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, October 27, 1888 - Demise of Helena of Nassau, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont, wife of Georg Viktor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, in Pyrmont, Principality of Waldeck and Pyrmont. She was the mother of Queen Emma of The Netherlands.

On this day, October 27, 1888 - Demise of Helena of Nassau, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont, wife of Georg Viktor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, in Pyrmont, Principality of Waldeck and Pyrmont. She was the mother of Queen Emma of The Netherlands.
she was quiet successful in marrying her daughters as one of their daughters became daughter-in-law of Queen Victoria and another, Princess Marie married the future King of Württemberg but sadly died in childbirth

On this day, October 30, 1668 - Birth of Duchess Sophia Charlotte of Hanover, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Friedrich I of Prussia, at Schloss Iburg in Osnabruck, Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg

On this day, November 5, 1864 - Birth of Hilda of Nassau, Grand Duchess of Baden, wife of Friedrich II, Grand Duke of Baden, at Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau

On this day, November 7, 1827 - Demise of Maria Theresia of Austria, Queen of Saxony, wife of King Anton of Saxony, in Leipzig, Kingdom of Saxony

On this day, November 8, 1715 - Birth of Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel-Bevern, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Frederick II of Prussia, at Schloss Bevern in Wolfenbuttel, Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel

On this day, November 13, 1801 - Birth of Elisabeth Ludovika of Bavaria, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, November 15, 1498 - Birth of Eleanor of Austria, Queen Consort of King Manuel I of Portugal and Queen Consort of King Francis I of France, in Leuven, Spanish Netherlands

On this day, November 18, 1661 - Birth of Elisabeth Henriette of Hesse-Kassel, Hereditary Princess of Prussia, first wife of the future King Frederick I of Prussia, in Kassel, Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel

On this day, November 19, 1754 - Birth of Karl Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen in Frankfurt, Germany

On this day, November 20, 1912 - Birth of Crown Prince Otto of Austria, son of Emperor Charles (Karl) I of Austria, at Wartholz Castle

On this day, November 25, 1868 - Birth of Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine at Neues Palais in Darmstadt, Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine

On this day, November 28, 1811 - Birth of King Maximilian II of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, November 29, 1780 - Demise of Maria Theresa, Archduchess of Austria at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna

On this day, November 29, 1780 - Demise of Maria Theresa, Archduchess of Austria at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna

At the time of her death Maria-Theresa was Dowager Holy Roman Empress ,Queen of Hungary, of Bohemia , Archuchess of Austria ,Dowager Duchess of Lorraine and Bar and Dowager Grand Duchess of Tuscany.

382px-Portr%C3%A9t_Marie_Terezie_Rakousk%C3%A9.png

On this day, December 1, 1241 - Demise of Isabella of England, Holy Roman Empress, spouse of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, at Foggia, Kingdom of Sicily

On this day, December 1, 1241 - Demise of Isabella of England, Holy Roman Empress, spouse of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, at Foggia, Kingdom of Sicily

Isabella is buried near the tomb of her husbands previous wife, Isabella II of Jerusalem who died in 1228 at Andria Cathedral.
Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor is buried at the Cathedral of Palermo.

Back
Top Bottom