Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a sub forum for guesses on what colour and designs guests will be wearing, i.e. Doria, Meghan's girlfriends, HM, Catherine, etc?

I assume just the wedding thread. I don't think there needs to be an entire fashion thread dedicated to wedding guests. Talk, guesses on mother of the bride and such, likely wouldn't be out of place on the wedding musings thread.

Even the DF article says the dress they photoshopped Meghan's head onto was the IMAGINED dress and then they said (not the actual dress).

They're speculating and covering their bums at the same time.

That beaded gown is not going to be Meghan's gown.

Even the DF article says the dress they photoshopped Meghan's head onto was the IMAGINED dress and then they said (not the actual dress).

They're speculating and covering their bums at the same time.

That beaded gown is not going to be Meghan's gown.

Not to mention the gown is from 2 seasons ago.

LaRae

Not to mention the gown is from 2 seasons ago.

LaRae

That too. I don't know if Ralph & Russo is doing the dress or not but there is no way Meghan's dress will be so close to a well known showstopper gown. It's going to be a completely bespoke gown.

I'd also be really surprised if she wore a gown with a ton of beading and frou frou elements, unless it was a slimmer gown for the reception. I'm just not sure she's the all over lace with beading type.

I guess we could see a gown similar to the R&R engagement photo gown but not sure. I think a gown like that would be more likely at the reception.

That too. I don't know if Ralph & Russo is doing the dress or not but there is no way Meghan's dress will be so close to a well known showstopper gown. It's going to be a completely bespoke gown.

I'd also be really surprised if she wore a gown with a ton of beading and frou frou elements, unless it was a slimmer gown for the reception. I'm just not sure she's the all over lace with beading type.

I guess we could see a gown similar to the R&R engagement photo gown but not sure. I think a gown like that would be more likely at the reception.

ITA. I think a big dress like that would wear her. It doesn't seem her style either...I think her engagement dress surprising though. It doesn't seem her style either. But I think she knows she could push the bounds a little with that shoot.

I will be surprised if she shows up in something that is 'busy'.

LaRae

Basically, I think that if she's wearing two dresses. One for the ceremony and reception and another for evening party, I'm going to guess that the actual wedding dress will be simple and regal and something that fits the venue of a 14th century chapel. She might go more "glamorous" and "blingy" for the evening party and the dress will reflect the celebration.

Basically, I think that if she's wearing two dresses. One for the ceremony and reception and another for evening party, I'm going to guess that the actual wedding dress will be simple and regal and something that fits the venue of a 14th century chapel. She might go more "glamorous" and "blingy" for the evening party and the dress will reflect the celebration.

My thoughts exactly.

I loved Stephanie of Luxembourg's dress - that Elie Saab is one of my top 3 royal wedding gowns so far - but that worked well for her partly because she's kinda plain and the gown "boosted" her a bit. It was also just a masterpiece of elegant lace, re-embroidered lace, beading and beaded leaf appliqués. I've studied that dress up and down it was so gorgeous.

I remember thinking - now THAT is a royal wedding gown. It took me back to Melissa Rivers' Vera Wang gown for her first wedding (the one where Preston Bailey brought in 50 birch trees to create this Winter Wonderland in an Imperialist Russia setting he built in the Terrace Room of the Palace Hotel in NYC)... she wore this heavily beaded/embroidered gown. Her mother - Joan Rivers - said, "With all due respect to Carolyn Kennedy, this is your one chance to be a Princess - don't blow it."

Hahaha. So true.

That's how I felt when I saw Stephanie's gown - she took her Princess moment and milked it for all it was worth - both at the wedding and at the pre-wedding day reception where she wore another Elie Saab (this one was blue-gray with beading and appliqués).

With Meghan - I just hope she milks this royal moment with a dress that stands up to the occasion. But still in her style aesthetic. If she goes simple in terms of shape and material, then I hope the gown is grand enough with the right jewelry, etc...

I think it's possible we might see a floaty gown - but I don't think it will be beaded all over. I could be wrong though - but when I think of a floaty gown, I think of the one from Suits that kinda swallowed her up and think she won't go that route for her royal wedding...

We could see a gown with tiny flower appliqués on it similar to that Elie Saab that's floated around - that could have some beading and still fall within her aesthetic...

Like this one (though with a fuller skirt):

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/10.jpg

But I dunno now.... I think Priyanka Chopra's comment that Meghan cried when she saw her gown are getting into my head and making me think the dress will be more magical? There are other ways that could happen I guess...

Welp - less than 2 weeks (OMG!) until we find out!!!

I'm just praying it's substantial enough and NOT like Sophie's gown (which I hated).

Last edited by a moderator:
We could see a gown with tiny flower appliqués on it similar to that Elie Saab that's floated around - that could have some beading and still fall within her aesthetic...

But I dunno now.... I think Priyanka Chopra's comment that Meghan cried when she saw her gown are getting into my head and making me think the dress will be more magical? There are other ways that could happen I guess...

I'm just praying it's substantial enough and NOT like Sophie's gown (which I hated).

I'm not a fan of the Elie Saab dress above, but it would certainly make a statement.

I'm actually afraid that we might end up seeing something like Sophie's coat/dress combo, which I have never liked. The gown underneath may not have been too bad, but in general those coat dresses usually end up looking as though they are wearing the bride rather than the other way around--the one exception to that being Camilla's blessing coat/dress, which is how those things ought to be done.

I'm still hoping for something very sleek and streamlined like some of the Pronovias dresses frequently linked here, or something like Lady Sarah Chatto's dress with its simplicity and historical vibe.

I'm not a fan of the Elie Saab dress above, but it would certainly make a statement.

I'm actually afraid that we might end up seeing something like Sophie's coat/dress combo, which I have never liked. The gown underneath may not have been too bad, but in general those coat dresses usually end up looking as though they are wearing the bride rather than the other way around--the one exception to that being Camilla's blessing coat/dress, which is how those things ought to be done.

I'm still hoping for something very sleek and streamlined like some of the Pronovias dresses frequently linked here, or something like Lady Sarah Chatto's dress with its simplicity and historical vibe.

The french expression for "Oh the Horror!" (can't spell it) just popped into my mind at the thought that Meghan would wear anything like Sophie's dress - which was simply ghastly.

Do we need to go and burn sage in St. George's Chapel to ward off the fashion-challenged spirits of Sophie's dress?

Please God no. Please don't let Meghan wear anything like that!

Noooooo!

I was looking at Lady Sarah's dress - that was very pretty.

With what I've seen of Meghan's red carpet and formal event styling - I just don't think we'll see anything shapeless like Sophie's dress on her. She just doesn't do that - it would be so out of character.

And I agree - Camilla did the coat style wedding gown the best. That was lovely on her. She really has navigated a very tricky space this past decade remarkably well in terms of fashion and duty.

My thoughts exactly.

I loved Stephanie of Luxembourg's dress - that Elie Saab is one of my top 3 royal wedding gowns so far - but that worked well for her partly because she's kinda plain and the gown "boosted" her a bit. It was also just a masterpiece of elegant lace, re-embroidered lace, beading and beaded leaf appliqués. I've studied that dress up and down it was so gorgeous.

I remember thinking - now THAT is a royal wedding gown. It took me back to Melissa Rivers' Vera Wang gown for her first wedding (the one where Preston Bailey brought in 50 birch trees to create this Winter Wonderland in an Imperialist Russia setting he built in the Terrace Room of the Palace Hotel in NYC)... she wore this heavily beaded/embroidered gown. Her mother - Joan Rivers - said, "With all due respect to Carolyn Kennedy, this is your one chance to be a Princess - don't blow it."

Hahaha. So true.

That's how I felt when I saw Stephanie's gown - she took her Princess moment and milked it for all it was worth - both at the wedding and at the pre-wedding day reception where she wore another Elie Saab (this one was blue-gray with beading and appliqués).

With Meghan - I just hope she milks this royal moment with a dress that stands up to the occasion. But still in her style aesthetic. If she goes simple in terms of shape and material, then I hope the gown is grand enough with the right jewelry, etc...

I think it's possible we might see a floaty gown - but I don't think it will be beaded all over. I could be wrong though - but when I think of a floaty gown, I think of the one from Suits that kinda swallowed her up and think she won't go that route for her royal wedding...

Welp - less than 2 weeks (OMG!) until we find out!!!

Have you studied her sister in laws dress (Claire...also had a dress made by Saab) it is GORGEOUS as well.

Also did not like Sohpie's dress...

LaRae

The french expression for "Oh the Horror!" (can't spell it) just popped into my mind at the thought that Meghan would wear anything like Sophie's dress - which was simply ghastly.

Do we need to go and burn sage in St. George's Chapel to ward off the fashion-challenged spirits of Sophie's dress?

Noooooo!

With what I've seen of Meghan's red carpet and formal event styling - I just don't think we'll see anything shapeless like Sophie's dress on her. She just doesn't do that - it would be so out of character.

And I agree - Camilla did the coat style wedding gown the best. That was lovely on her. She really has navigated a very tricky space this past decade remarkably well in terms of fashion and duty.

Quelle Horreur !

I cannot imagine a coat dress evoking the feelings of spring (as they stated when it came to their cake/flowers) so I think you can stop buying sage by the pound! :D

I would be happy, if she does go the blingy sheath style to see her wear something like Claire (Luxembourg) did.

She doesn't seem the blingy sort but again I didn't think she would wear the style of dress she did for her engagement shoot.

She could really surprise us. I am hoping for sleek/elegant though...not a over done dress.

LaRae

I was musing yesterday and came across this...if she is going for soft/romantic I wonder if she would do something like these: (ignore the bodice..looking at skirts)

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-6ef9...08564/0134296-21404__97133.1518034984.JPG?c=2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=p.10156218312452357&type=3&theater&ifg=1

LaRae

Love the first one - she could do a (more modest) version of that.... the appliqué detail is exactly what I was thinking she could do... maybe not exactly in that style - maybe something similar with sleeves?

Or with a bateau neckline?

But yes - that's similar to what I was thinking. We could see something like that for the ceremony - but in probably a more regal gown silhouette?

I can't see the facebook gown though... link appears broken?

Last edited:

Noooooo!

I'd be up for that if it would prevent another Sophie coat+dress disaster. Should we get a group together? :whistling:

And even though Priyanka Chopra didn't really give anything away in terms of details, she needs to stop talking. Discretion is such a big deal for the BRF, for good reason, saying anything at all about the wedding dress is edging on indiscreet, IMO.

I was musing yesterday and came across this...if she is going for soft/romantic I wonder if she would do something like these: (ignore the bodice..looking at skirts)

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-6ef9...08564/0134296-21404__97133.1518034984.JPG?c=2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=p.10156218312452357&type=3&theater&ifg=1

LaRae

I like the skirt on the first one, but for some reason I'm going to be surprised if we see anything that flouffy. Who is the designer, or did I just miss that?

I wasn't able to open the Facebook link, either.

I LOVED Claire's and Stephanie's of Lux. dresses. They are in my top 3 wedding dresses. I would be very happy indeed to see something similar on Meghan although I did not like Stephanie's tiara.

I LOVED Claire's and Stephanie's of Lux. dresses. They are in my top 3 wedding dresses. I would be very happy indeed to see something similar on Meghan although I did not like Stephanie's tiara.

Ohhh I thought it was pretty... very dainty... but I didn't think it did much for her or the grandeur of the gown she wore - and it looked lonely on top of her head.

As for Meghan wearing something "Elie Saab-ish"... I don't know. The Ralph & Russo gown was sort of in that vein, but I tend to think if she wears a gown like that or one in the Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad style of gowns, it will be for the reception (I'm praying we get a glimpse of it like we got a glimpse of Kate's dress).

I could see a very toned down Elie Saab style gown - something with incredible shape and some kind of dramatic element - but if there are frou frou elements, they will be tasteful and restrained?

I hope?

I'm sure Meghan is going to look radiant.

Love the first one - she could do a (more modest) version of that.... the appliqué detail is exactly what I was thinking she could do... maybe not exactly in that style - maybe something similar with sleeves?

Or with a bateau neckline?

But yes - that's similar to what I was thinking. We could see something like that for the ceremony - but in probably a more regal gown silhouette?

I can't see the facebook gown though... link appears broken?

Yes the skirt was what caught my eye....the whole bodice would need re-doing.

I'll try to post the second dress

I don't expect ball gown poof, but I expect modified A-line poof. :lol:

I'm definitely up for burning some sage at St. George's. :cool:

Did we burn sage in 2011 to make sure Kate didn't wear a Diana dress :ermm:

Sophie's dress may not have been everyone's taste but it very much was a late 90's wedding dress. Just as Diana's was a 80's cupcake dress. Meghan is not going to wear a style that is almost 20 years old, any more then Diana's style.

Meghan has shown again and again she loves clean, modern, linear looks. There is a way to do this in a wedding dress and still be grand.

I really hope she doesn't go with a 'romantic spring flowly gown' because she thinks it is what is needed. But actually sticks to her own style. Just because you are marrying a prince doesn't mean you have to take fashion advice from a Disney princess.

I'd be willing to do some praying that Meghan doesn't wear anything as ghastly as Sophie's dress. I love the assumption that Meghan won't wear a style that is so old when Kate's dress was reminiscent of Grace Kelly from 50+years before.

I'd be willing to do some praying that Meghan doesn't wear anything as ghastly as Sophie's dress. I love the assumption that Meghan won't wear a style that is so old when Kate's dress was reminiscent of Grace Kelly from 50+years before.

Sorry Kate's dress had as much in common with Grace, as every dress which has a lace overlay does. :ermm:

But there is a difference between retro/vintage and Old. Wearing a dress with a style from the 80's/90's is not vintage. Its just old fashioned, and in many cases, just ugly.

Now picking a style that reimagines the styles from the 50's or the 30's, is highly popular. The 'great fashion eras'. Picking up from Downton abbey and Great Gatsby or even the pin up feel of the 50s.

So no, I don't think she will go 'old fashioned' like the 90s. But a vintage feel would be fantastic. More likely for evening look, as she could rock a classic Hollywood look, like we have seen in some beautiful photos she did.

Here are wedding dresses with longs sleeves and trains.

There is nothing 1990s about Sophie's dress imo, you don't look at it and see late 90s influence. Plus having a wedding dress inspired by ugly fashion trends doesn't mean the dress itself has to be ugly. Sarah Ferguson had horrible 80s sleeves but the majority of dress transcends time. On the other hand Sophie's dress looks just like a bad potato sack, hopefully Meghan doesn't go that route. If she is influenced by anyone hopefully it is Kate, Stephanie, Victoria, or Grace. Too be honest I fear she will be disappointing like Madeleine and Sofia of Sweden.

The wedding dresses of the late 90's, early 2000's were very streamlined, aline/sheath those types becoming very popular. Simple dresses, very little detail, very little puff to them. Coat dresses were popular, including among royal brides of that time (think also Mathilde, Maxima). While Sophie's dress did have a 'medieval' feel to it, it did encompass the popular style of the time.

Sorry there is nothing 'timeless' about Sarah's dress. While I think it far more beautiful then Diana's in many ways, it screams 1980s.

I hope to all heaven she is not inspired by Kate. The last thing we need is another gown that looks like any other bride could have. If they could spend a fortune on a dress, I want something memorable. Funny enough, Kate has a lot more in common with Madeleine and Sophie then she does Victoria or Stephanie.

Again the point being- she isn't going to wear a dress that follows fashion trends from 19 years ago. Any more then 1980's cupcake style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom