King Albert II & Queen Paola - Current Events Part 5

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel a bad omen... Hoping that nothing will happening

Last edited:
King Albert is visiting his grandchildren tonight at the hospital.

https://www.rtl.be/actu/belgique/fa...endu-visite-ce-soir/2023-06-27/article/563378
It's apparently King Philippe's children (or at least some of them) who visited their grandfather tonight. It is also confirmed that the Palace speaks about "reassuring signs" and to empasize that it is noted that Philippe's and Laurent's visits today didn't last too long, and only Paola has remained the whole day at the hospital

Queen Paola left les cliniques St Luc, where all is organised for the King's Security

King Filip visited his father once again last night, Prince Emmanuel went with him.

Hope for the best for the 89 year old former king. I recall them as young and on all covers back in the 60s and 70s. Queen Paola was in her youth one of the most beautiful royals in Europe, almost a match to Princess Grace Kelly, "the American Venus" (as DeGaulle nicknamed her).

And without looking it up, I think Paola was related to Spain/France's Luis Alphonse Duc of Anjou's paternal grandmother, too. They were both Italian aristocrats.

It was probably all too much for the old king having so many family members there and he's is probably very weak.
A tough time for Queen Paola too!

Another bad sign might be Elisabeth returning from Oxford. When the term at Oxford Uni is over?

Princess Elisabeth would be returning for the Summer Holidays following the end of the Academic Year and Exams.
If the duchess has not already finished she will be very shortly.

Oxford finished on Sat 17th June so I imagine if she isn't home already Elisabeth could be at any time so it would be quite hard to tell if it was preplanned or because of Albert's health IMO.

Wim Dehandschutter reports that King Albert and Queen Paola are still scheduled to participate in Belgium’s National Day on July 21, for the first time since 2013.

And he says that,if they're indeed able to participate (due to Albert's health), they will attend the Te Deum in the Brussels Cathedral in the morning and a special concert in the evening to celebrate King Philippe's 10th anniversary on the throne

The old king is in the best place and hopefully getting lots of rest!

Ah that is indeed good news!

So nice to see King Albert smiling and all!
Queen Paola looks exhausted though, now she can get some rest as well.

I wonder if the King will be able to attend the Te Deum of our National day .

Last edited:
I wonder if the King will be able to attend the Te Deum of our National day .

I don’t think that would be prudent. Especially if he has a blood infection and it is very hot.

He hasn’t attended in 10 years, why put pressure on him to attend now when he is old, frail, and sick?

I don’t think that would be prudent. Especially if he has a blood infection and it is very hot.

He hasn’t attended in 10 years, why put pressure on him to attend now when he is old, frail, and sick?
It was announced they would exceptionally attend this year to mark the 10th anniversary of King Philippe's reign. A few days ago it was said that there would be further updates about their partecipation approaching the National Day. I agree it wouldn't be very prudent to attend, but it will depend on the evolution of Albert's health, and if he isn't well enough to attend, I don't expect Paola to go, either

Back
Top Bottom