King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 17

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the incredible unrest in the Middle East and King Abdullah becoming involved, this must be a very difficult time for the King, Queen and country right now. Is QR back in Jordan now? The last I heard she was in Spain but I can't imagine she's still there. I think this is their vacation time--well, KA's has obviously been put on hold--but I was wondering if she had returned to the country......

morhange said:
Did anybody see "Petra: A Quest for Hope?" It aired today (or really, last night) on the Discovery Times channel. It was a really good program, and King Abdullah either hosted it or had a part in organizing it, and it had all the Nobel Laureates meeting, and the program's host, Ted Koppel talked to the King and Elie Wiesel and four other prominient Nobel prize winners.

I was really impressed with King Abdullah, and he sounded very intelligent, and very interested in what the conference was trying to accomplish. Is he an absolute monarch or constitutional monarch? If the latter, how great are his powers? Is he a figurehead? He seems very educated and knows what he is talking about.

First, I missed the special on King Hussein; now this. Fortunately, the Discovery Channel often rebroadcasts shows. If anyone hears if/when it's being broadcast again, please let us know. I would like to hear from KA and the Nobel Laureates. Koppel is an excellent interviewer so I would think it would have been a very good show. Thanks for the update!:)

I agree with maryshawn 100%. I've been a fan of Rania for some years now, since she became Queen really. I've watched her develop as a woman not only in her style of dress etc but in the her work and yes I agree that she looks radiant at the moment. I am not a muslim let me just say and I look at everything from a very "western" perspective for want of a better word.

However, I can see what a fine line she has to tread between respecting her traditions/customs but also daring to push the envelope and embrace the west. It may seem superficial to others but Rania is often on the cover of many magazines in the west (as I'm sure many of you will know) for her work and yes of course because of her stunning looks and dress sense. She has found a style that she is comfortable with, she looks much younger than her 35 years, her makeup is perfect and her dress sense is usually now infallable.

She works very hard on behalf of charities and projects around the world and talks articulately and intelligently about matters which do not thankfully focus on her shoe size or what dress designer she is favouring this month.

And yet Rania realises that she has to pay attention to these things in order to bring media attention to her causes and her country no matter how superficial that may seem to others. Her picture will grace a magazine front cover far more than a picture of someone whilst perhaps equally worthy not nearly so glamourous or "photo friendly" - this is a fact of life.

To me Rania represents a great role model. And to westerners who may sometimes have this preconceived view that women from countries such as Jordan etc walk around covered in a black "sack", unable to leave the house, under constant oppression of their husbands and family and generally with no rights - she is a something to be proud of as she blows those misconceptions clear out the window.

She is helped enormously in this by the pride and love that King Abdullah shows towards her and the obvious respect he has towards his wife. Which I feel is visible when he looks at her and speaks about her. She is lucky to have chosen well in such a husband and he is equally lucky to have such a beautiful, intelligent wife and good mother to his children by his side.

I realise that that muslim women still have many barriers to cross to obtain the equality they seek and perhaps there are some who do not feel any changes need to be made but I hope that girls growing up who see Rania on TV or in a magazine will look at her and think what may be different opportunites are available to them never dreamed of by their mothers/grandmothers.

For those of you who have Rania as you queen you should be proud of her. It saddens me when people criticise the cost of her clothing, how much jewellery she may own and whether she has had plastic surgery. It is her actions that count and to me she works hard and diligently for her country and at the same time retaining her own sense of character and personality.

Apologies for the long post.

Queen Rania and King Abdalah hosted an Unrepeatable Meeting In Petra

Twenty Five Nobel Prizes, Presidents and magnates united around the theme "Help A Planet in Danger"

(Next to Jordan Kings on the right Simon Peres - Peace Nobel Prize 1994, besides him Betty Williams - Peace Nobel Prize 1976. On King's left Elie Wiesel - Peace Nobel Prize 1986 with wife Marion. Surrounded by Nobel Prizes Awarded in Areas like Economy, Literature, Phisics, Chemistry and Medicine)

Thousand of candles lightened a wonderful show happened under the stars in the sky at the Rose City.

Queen Rania was wearing the traditional caftán embroidered with silk.

Kings of Jordan pose with young and brilliant violin player, Sirena Huang and Roberto Alagna.

(Source: Hola magazine)

Last edited:
Images of the concert held at the doors of Treasure Palace of Petra

Queen Rania made a quick visit to Madrid to participate in an International Meeting. The Queen took advantage of her trip to pay a visit to Museo del Prado to see the exhibition "Picasso, tradicíon y vanguardia."

(Source: Hola magazine)

My goodness, but Jordan is so beautiful. And Rania and Abdullah must be the handsomest royal couple in the world.

very good post snowwhite, i agree with every point.
petra looks beautiful at night, my gosh i've always wanted to visit, now even more so. i have a ton of books on petra but i know it couldn't possibly compare to in person. the queen looks so pretty in the photos thanks for the post.

is this new?? I thought it was a month ago???please anyone knows?

lil Monkey said:
is this new?? I thought it was a month ago???please anyone knows?

Yes Lil Monkey this event was in june 21 in Petra, but the spanish magazine Hola! have these pics this week:)

Last edited:
her caftan is very beautiful - especially the detail around the neckline...is this elie saab inspired becuase it looks like something he would create.

This event was in May and its the frist I am hearing about it. Petra, You only hear about it in History classes and movies, but actually to be their and see it for your own eyes must be something. All of you who live in areas where i consider the oldest stories have taken place and only to hear about it in classes and bible stories. To all of you, you are livig in the greatest place. Not knocking Canada down. Love my country to death, I, who got a B.A. In Art History , only dreams of going and seeing it for myself. Must of been a grand night for all thoses who attended. One day I wish to visit Petra? Thanks for the lovely pictures makes me dream even more.....

Petra looks lovely, just beautiful, I've always wanted to go - may be one day.

And I love Rania in these caftan's she wears - mauve/purple is a lovely colour on her - although she looks great in most colours I feel.

She really is very beautiful not just on the outside though I feel.

I believe she looks just as wonderful in western styles as she does in more traditional - and she does wear traditional styles whatever people might say.

I like that orange top she wore in Madrid more from the front than from that side view - it doesn't look so "fitted" from the angle of that photo for some reason.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the pictures mtbcm!
I remember someone posted thumbnails from newscom of this gala and I was so disappointed at not having been able to see the full pictures. I've been wanting to see the rest of that gorgeous dress of Queen Rania's since then.
Thanks again.

PS. the event took place in June. It was part of the Nobel Laureates conference.

JRF launches aid campaign for Palestinians, Lebanese

AMMAN, July 21 (JT) — The Jordan River Foundation (JRF) on Thursday launched an aid campaign for the Palestinian and Lebanese peoples, as civil society institutions organized rallies and postponed festivities in light of continued Israeli attacks.
The foundation called on citizens to express their support through cash and material donations at the JRF headquarters in Abdoun. Relief Web

This campaign is being held under Queen Rania's patronage. (I even got an email from the Jordan River Foundation, I guess Im on their mailing list, with the details of where donations can be made)

im suprised queen rania is no participating with them since she is a palestinian at least she could show some solidarity with her people. But i guess she wont let anything interfere with her summer holiday

chaqruga said:
I hope that she suffers in this situation.....

I'm not quite sure why you would purposely hope for someone to suffer? Whether one likes Rania or not, hoping that she suffers is rather excessive and mean isn't it?

of course she is not guilty in this situation, even to claim her is ridiculous, illogical, unreasonable......

I want to mean that she represent her origional country and jordan... you know when one country's president say or do something wrong, all the country suffer for that... for instance Iraq..... saddam in not a good man at americans perspective, but not only him but also all the ıraqies live suffer....

clearly I want to see her reactions... because she's in a very significant condition....

if she had represented the government, believe me, I wouldn't have interested her ideas.......

Last edited:
King Abdullah II (R) of Jordan shakes hands with French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy prior to talks in Amman 22 July 2006. Abdallah insisted on the need for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon to open the road to diplomacy

from profimedia

Attachments

• NWS-1130087.jpg
    NWS-1130087.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 190
  • NWS-1130124.jpg
    NWS-1130124.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 341
How do you know she does not sympathise with the Palestinian people? Have you spoken with her? Does she have to say something publicly every time in order to affirm what she may or may not feel?

She may be feeling many things but it is her decision when or if she chooses to speak or take action in her own way about it surely. And I have a feeling if she did say something publicly many people would probably take issue with her for upsetting the situation still further - I don't think she can win whatever she does quite frankly.

And I hope that you don't want her to suffer, I think that is not a pleasant thing to wish on anyone, what has she done that specifically deserves such feelings of antipathy towards her?

You mention IF she was part of the government you would want to know what she thought but she is not - she is royalty and the wife of the king and it is probably not appropriate for her to make any statement that is "political". Rather like the royal family in Britain who are disuaded from making any comments without government approval - it just causes problems for their ministers.

I realise that Jordan's monarchy is much more powerful that the British one but they are still not the government.

Last edited:
The Jordan River Foundation fundraising campaign for Palestine and Lebanon is being headed by Queen Rania (As mentioned in the article I posted above)
That's how she has responded to similar events in Palestine and Iraq.
At times like this, she does not get political, that is not her job, it is her husband's, which is why he has been talking about this issue for weeks.
When the war in Iraq started, she wrote a letter in the Times, addressed to Blair and Bush, not giving them a political lecture, but pleading them to let aid get through so casualties could be avoided and the injured evacuated to Jordan and elsewhere.
To me it clearly demonstrates that the Queen keeps the most vulnerable in mind, the women, children and others who are caught in the middle of conflicts like this and need humanitarian aid but are often lost amid the headlines of bombings and air raids.

The JRF has also partnered with the IOCC to provide aid to those afffected:

International Orthodox Christian Charities (July 18) IOCC, in cooperation with its field offices in Jerusalem, Beirut, and Amman, as well as its network of religious and secular partners, is preparing to deliver emergency supplies and assistance to those affected in Gaza and Lebanon once freedom of movement and reasonable access are restored. . .IOCC partners with the Jordan River Foundation, a non-governmental organization. IOCC is accepting hygiene gifts through Church World Service.ce. Alertnet

IOCC website

snowwhite said:
How do you know she does not sympathise with the Palestinian people? Have you spoken with her? Does she have to say something publicly every time in order to affirm what she may or may not feel?

She may be feeling many things but it is her decision when or if she chooses to speak or take action in her own way about it surely. And I have a feeling if she did say something publicly many people would probably take issue with her for upsetting the situation still further - I don't think she can win whatever she does quite frankly.

And I hope that you don't want her to suffer, I think that is not a pleasant thing to wish on anyone, what has she done that specifically deserves such feelings of antipathy towards her?

You mention IF she was part of the government you would want to know what she thought but she is not - she is royalty and the wife of the king and it is probably not appropriate for her to make any statement that is "political". Rather like the royal family in Britain who are disuaded from making any comments without government approval - it just causes problems for their ministers.

I realise that Jordan's monarchy is much more powerful that the British one but they are still not the government.
I don't think what you're saying about Royalty and goverment is completely true, not in Jordan or any other arab country. King Abdallah is an absolute monarch, the goverment is nothing, can not do or say anything without him having the final word on anything and everything. As for Rania, sorry but she does speak when it suits her and in any subject, be it social issues, international affairs, science etc etc, you name it and be sure she had participated in a meeting or a forum somewhere on this earth ( which to be fair is not always a bad thing, especially if you really know about it), but only if it suits her. KA, well his position as well as that of Egypt's presidant and the Saudi king was clear from the start, backing the us all the way, funny he wants a cease fire now. Finally to compare them to the british Royals is so unfair on the Brits, as Britain is a constitutional Monarchy and Jordan certainly is not, neither is Saudi, Morocco or Bahrain unfortunately :(

In the arab world, leaders dont need permission from their goverments. they do what they want and when they want.

King Abdullah is part of the government, he's the head of state, Queen Rania is neither. The King can call for a ceasefire in the Middle East (as he has in the past few days) but his wife cannot, it would not be appropriate for a consort. Queen Rania has never made political statements of that nature, she has always stepped around them quite diplomatically.

King Abdullah is the one who has been holding meetings and phoning world leaders, not his wife. That is simply not part of her job. She can call for and arrange humanitarian aid, she can take part in peaceful marches (she has done both in the past. She has marched for Palestinians, spoken out for them in the western media) but she can't step beyond her role as consort.
Still if that's expected from Queen Rania, why isn't it expected from the wives of other Middle Eastern leaders?

Jordan to receive injured Lebanese

Jordan is willing to receive the Lebanese civilians who were injured during the Israeli aggression on Lebanon and offer medical treatment to them, Jordanian King Abdullah II said on Saturday.

During a phone call with Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora, Abdullah said Jordan put its medical and health expertise at the service of the Lebanese people to alleviate the humanitarian tragedy. People's Daily Online

Siniora thanks King as Jordan plans more aid to Lebanon

Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora on Thursday thanked King Abdullah for his solidarity with Lebanon, saying he appreciated Jordan's stand on the crisis.

. . .The Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization recently dispatched 300 tonnes of relief aid to Lebanon. A Royal Court source said Jordan will soon send more assistance to the Arab country. ReliefWeb

Jordanian king again calls for immediate ceasefire in Lebanon

Jordanian King Abdullah II on Saturday again called for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon, which he said was the only way to opening the door for diplomatic efforts to reach a solution to the regional crisis, Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.
Abdullah made the appeal during a meeting with visiting French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy, who arrived here on Saturday on a Mideast tour aimed to ease tensions in Lebanon.
Abdullah also said that an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire would lead to defusing the crisis, according to the report. People's Daily Online

Picture from Petra

King issues orders to facilitate entry of foreigners fleeing Lebanon

AMMAN (Petra) — His Majesty King Abdullah on Saturday directed police to facilitate the entry to Jordan of Lebanese and foreigners fleeing the deteriorating situation in Lebanon. The directives were issued during a visit to the Public Security Department (PSD) Jordan Times

Pictures from Petra

~*~Humera~*~ said:
King Abdullah is the one who has been holding meetings and phoning world leaders, not his wife. That is simply not part of her job.

I wont expect queen Rania to do that.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
She can call for and arrange humanitarian aid, she can take part in peaceful marches (she has done both in the past. She has marched for Palestinians, spoken out for them in the western media) but she can't step beyond her role as consort..

She can participate in marches when she wants or should I say when shes in town and not on a lavish summer vacation. She can arrange humanitarian aid but she didnt. Please dont tell me she might of done it already not publicly, because Queen Rania does nothing not publicly

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Still if that's expected from Queen Rania, why isn't it expected from the wives of other Middle Eastern leaders?

1.because queen rania is palestinian, IMO she should show some solidarity. Sorry I forgot, she wont leave her holiday for them.Guess the weather is better in Europe:p
2.other leaders wifes are not palestinian, correct me please. therefore IMO i dont see the reason for them to do anything if they dont want to. Even if they did, I think Queen Rania has more connections then they do at this time.

ZZZ said:
She can participate in marches when she wants or should I say when shes in town and not on a lavish summer vacation.
How do you know she's on vacation? The rest of us dont seem to be privy to that information.

because queen rania is palestinian, IMO she should show some solidarity
Wrong reason. She is of palestinian origin but Queen of Jordan.
Was Queen Noor expected to show solidarity with the US? Or Princess Muna with Britain? That would've caused an uproar. Any time a woman marries into foreign royalty, whether its Queen Noor, or Rania, or Princesses Muna, Maxima or Mary, the public expects them, first and foremost, to act on behalf of their adopted homeland.
And how do you know she doesn't show solidarity with Palestinians? Why is her organization, the JRF, running a fundraising campaign and collecting donations?
Besides, being Palestinian or not is irrelevant. Human kindness and sympathy should not depend on one's country of origin.

King Abdullah II orders a field hospital to Lebanon

Amman, 23 July (Petra)--In correspondence with Jordan's pan-Arab supportive role to Lebanese brethren in their ordeal due to the Israeli aggression, His Majesty King Abdullah II, the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, gave orders to send a field hospital to offer medical services to Lebanese brethren on the Lebanese soil. Petra

King Renews Condemnation of Israeli Aggression against Lebanon

Amman, July 23 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II renewed condemnation of Israeli aggression against Lebanon, pointing out that Jordan will continue to work with the international community to put an end to this aggression as soon as possible.

In a statement to Jordan Television after his meeting with the ambassadors of the European Union, His Majesty said that we, in Jordan, stand with the Lebanese people and the Lebanese government against this aggression.

King Abdullah said that Jordan will provide every possible assistance to Lebanon to alleviate the suffering of our brothers in Lebanon and to help them cope with adversity and overcoming the inhumane conditions. Petra

Pictures from Petra

King to Head for Kuwait on Monday

Amman, July 23 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II will head on Monday for Kuwait on a few-hour visit during which he will hold talks with Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah on the latest developments in the region especially in Palestine and Lebanon and addition to the bilateral ties. Petra

Wrong reason. She is of palestinian origin but Queen of Jordan.
Was Queen Noor expected to show solidarity with the US? Or Princess Muna with Britain? That would've caused an uproar. Any time a woman marries into foreign royalty, whether its Queen Noor, or Rania, or Princesses Muna, Maxima or Mary, the public expects them, first and foremost, to act on behalf of their adopted homeland.
And how do you know she doesn't show solidarity with Palestinians? Why is her organization, the JRF, running a fundraising campaign and collecting donations?
Besides, being Palestinian or not is irrelevant. Human kindness and sympathy should not depend on one's country of origin.

While I agree that support for the Palestinians should not depend on country of origin, I think because Rania IS Palestinian - unlike other Arab first ladies - she should take a more active role. You cannot compare Rania's Palestinian roots to Noor's American or Muna's British roots. Noor and Muna had to in effect give up ties to their homeland when they became part of the JRF in order to be accepted by the Jordanian people. Rania did not (and does not have to) give up her ties to Palestine because (1) Palestinians, like Jordanians, are Arabs and Muslims and (2) the majority of Jordanians are of Palestinian origin.

Secondly, Rania has in the beginning of her role as Queen indicated her support for the Palestinian cause by leading a march and also calling for equal rights for Palestinians living in Jordan. So, in my opinion, she should do something now regarding the Palestinian situation even if other first ladies are not doing anything because (1) she is Palestinian and (2) she has created an image in the media for herself as someone who is active in important issues.

She could at least write a letter to newspaper (like she did in 2000 or 2001) in support of the Palestinians or Lebanese.

I dont get it. I've said this several times now.
She is fundraising through her NGO, JRF, (running an ad campaign) and sending aid to the effected areas.
What else do you want her to do?
When it is felt appropriate for her to make some sort of statement in the media, we will see it, we always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom