Ingrid Alexandra ,Sverre Magnus and Marius: discussion 2006 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

There are several reasons for that.

And you can safely include Christian as well.

I don't know about Belgium but the Scandinavian kingdoms have general conscription, so they do serve as role models in connecting with the military and service in the military.
A good leader leads by example. So if the people are subjected to call ups and sometimes are called up for national service, it's reasonable to expect the heir and future monarch also to do her bit, albeit voluntarily.
After all Norwegian, Swedish and Danish soldiers will go to war in the future in their name. The least they can do in return is to try what it is to be a soldier.

I also believe it's important to have a general influx of "normal" people into the military, even though recruiting professionals may be more cost effective. Because that means there remains a tie between the society as a whole and the military and there is a civilian influence on the military.
Professional armies sometimes develop into a caste of their own, sometimes more or less detached from the civilian society - and indeed sometimes shunned by the civilian society. Such a military can also develop their code of behavior - and a loyalty more directed at themselves than the society.
So IMO it's preferable to have close ties with the civilian world and the military - and by serving themselves the royals help maintaining those ties.

Although it's completely wasted to be pretty when your position isn't dependent on marrying anybody :cool: — yes, Ingrid is lovely, for whatever it's worth — and she has been for a few years now.

She's also said she wants to be Crown Princess, though that was when she was younger and she hasn't said much about Queen yet.

Let's hope she's got sense and compassion to do her job well.

It is interesting that in my country (NL) we had four Queens (and the fifth is coming) and no one of them had anything to do with the military: "Leave it to the professionals indeed".

It is interesting that Victoria, Elisabeth and probably Ingrid-Alexandra and Leonor are expected to do something with the military. Over here no one expects Catharina-Amalia showing up in camouflage gear. I would like it anyway, a good example to promote female recruitment in the armed forces.

For Victoria of Sweden there was still a difference made between the female heiress and the only son of the King. The Crown Princess completed only basic training in military service, whereas her brother completed officer training (which, on his own account, was a parental expectation for him), was subsequently promoted to Lieutenant and then Major, and to this day accompanies his father for the military honors on the King's birthday while the crown princess joins the rest of the family on the balcony.

It will be interesting to see whether military service will continue to be seen as the purview of the male members of the royal family for Norway, Belgium, and the next generation in Sweden.

The Scandinavian monarchies have an active draft system so its seems.

In all other European monarchies conscription is ended (de jure it still exists, de facto it is no longer enforced) as they all have professional armed forces without conscripted civilians.

Probably that is why there is another expectation in Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

In Denmark also the Crown Princess and Pcss Marie take part in military excercise from time to time.

When it comes to the young heiresses I think it has a lot to do with the ongoing gender equality debate in the western world in the past decades which seems especially strong in the scandinavian countries. From my point of view it makes absolute sense to reach a military rank as the future, symbolic, head of the army.

Last edited:
Ingrid couldn't look more healthy in mind and body in those photos if she was paid for it.
She does indeed look good, in every definition of the word.

Last edited:
Ingrid couldn't look more healthy in mind and body in those photos if she was paid for it.
She does indeed look good, in every definition of the word.

She seems to enjoy being outdoors and being physically active - didn’t she win a surfing competition awhile back? It’s a lifestyle that will serve her well over time, and it’s good for people to see a young woman in the public eye who may be pretty (and I think she’s very pretty) but who prioritizes being strong and active.

She looks like she’s having so much fun on that jump!

Ah, this is nice.
Ingrid getting a flight in an F-16.

It's not only boys who want's to try that. There are lots of girls who'd have no qualms about hammering an elbow in the ribs of others, in order to have that experience.

The Norwegian F-16, like most other countries that have F-16's, are being phased out, to be replaced by the insanely expensive and - we may hope - reliable F-35's.

And as Ingrid is destined to become commander-in-chief one day.

It's my impression her training to become queen has started for real!
No wonder, because she may have less time to adapt and train to that role than her colleagues in other monarchies.

Why do you think she has fewer years left before she becomes queen? As far as I am aware her fathervis a healthy man who hopefully has many decades to live. He is even younger than the parents of most future monarchs of I-A's generation. And unlike some of them, Ingrid -Alexandra isn't the heir yet...

She might take up royal duties relatively early given that there are few family members to do so and especially because of her mother's reduced workload. However, imho that could easily go hand in hand with prepping for the role that awaits her in the hopefully distant future (as Amalia expressed it earlier this week - although the second part 'but could be tomorrow' does not apply unless both her grandfather and father would die at the same time).

Not before becoming queen, let's hope not!
But before she becomes an almost full time working royal.

Has to go to school first. Has to finish school first. Has to do whatever post-schooling is necessary first. All of that will take the better part of a decade, at minimum.

Norway is used to having a small RF and won't complain or rush Ingrid on stage before she's ready. She's probably just hanging around the military because she's a very active girl and it interests her, not because they're calling her up next week.

Ah, this is nice.
Ingrid getting a flight in an F-16.

It's not only boys who want's to try that. There are lots of girls who'd have no qualms about hammering an elbow in the ribs of others, in order to have that experience.

The Norwegian F-16, like most other countries that have F-16's, are being phased out, to be replaced by the insanely expensive and - we may hope - reliable F-35's.

A Royal Navy F-35 recently crashed and was lying at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea during the maiden tour of the new RN flagship, HMS Queen Elizabeth. There have been also a few incidents involving this aircraft in the US, so I am not sure how reliable the current design is.

Has to go to school first. Has to finish school first. Has to do whatever post-schooling is necessary first. All of that will take the better part of a decade, at minimum.

Norway is used to having a small RF and won't complain or rush Ingrid on stage before she's ready. She's probably just hanging around the military because she's a very active girl and it interests her, not because they're calling her up next week.

King Harald is getting increasingly frail.
Ingrid could, regrettably, be called up sooner than that.

A Royal Navy F-35 recently crashed and was lying at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea during the maiden tour of the new RN flagship, HMS Queen Elizabeth. There have been also a few incidents involving this aircraft in the US, so I am not sure how reliable the current design is.

Yeah, I saw that one. Plop!
But it's very expensive aircraft so it must be good... Or something.

King Harald is getting increasingly frail.
Ingrid could, regrettably, be called up sooner than that.

Sonja will be around bar catastrophe and nobody knows what Mette-Marit will do. The NRF has functioned on two people before.... for long stretches of time, actually.

I am very sure the people of Norway want a prepared and grounded IA to go to work, not someone with necessity fallen on her head.

(For that matter, if they really need to, they'll pull young Magnus into the show, too, won't they?)

That's an interesting question. Because they might actually have to call up Magnus and thus have an active spare - with perhaps a future spouse by his side - also active.

Necessity may force the Norwegians who are used to a minimalist royal house to expand that for the next generation.
To quote myself: Everything has to happen for the first time.

It's great to see these events, Ingrid Alexandra visiting various military bases and "trying" out some excercises.
Looks like she enjoyed herself

Princess Ingrid Alexandra visited the Royal Air Force in Bodø today, December 11:

** kongehuset gallery & video **

** nrk.no: Her blir prinsessen en av de siste som får fly F-16 i Norge **

Apparently Ingrid's father as well as Märtha Louise also participated in a fighter jet flight around the age of 18.

The Norwegian Court says that Ingrid Alexandra will continue to undertake military engagements in the near future. Asked by the press, they said that it has not been decided yet whether Ingrid Alexandra will undertake a military education after finishing secondary school, as her father and grandfather did.

Haakon has said in the past that it will be her own decision. So unlike Leonor - and Elisabeth, I suppose? - it does not appear to be mandatory for her. These visits may be meant to help her make her decision, as well as getting to know the military as future commander-in-chief, of course.

Of course Ingrid will be aware that while it is a choice, there will be people who expect her to choose military training. But luckily she looks to be enjoying herself greatly at these engagements, so I can very well imagine her deciding to undertake military training and genuinely enjoying it too. ?

As the article states, Ingrid's grandmother was the first woman in the Royal Family to complete military training and thought it was important to encourage more women to join the military. So she may also be encouraging Ingrid along this path...

The Norwegian Court says that Ingrid Alexandra will continue to undertake military engagements in the near future. Asked by the press, they said that it has not been decided yet whether Ingrid Alexandra will undertake a military education after finishing secondary school, as her father and grandfather did.

Haakon has said in the past that it will be her own decision. So unlike Leonor - and Elisabeth, I suppose? - it does not appear to be mandatory for her. These visits may be meant to help her make her decision, as well as getting to know the military as future commander-in-chief, of course.

Very interesting. Has anything been said by them in regards to military expectations for Sverre Magnus?

The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the United States and, yet, there have been several presidents in recent years (Clinton, Obama, Trump ?) who never served in the military. That is fine, because the position of Commander-in-Chief nowadays in the US does not refer to the operational command of the armed forces (that role is delegated to the Joint Chiefs of Staff), but rather to their political direction.

In the case of a monarchy, lack of military education for the commander-in-chief is even less critical because the monarch's role is purely ceremonial. Political direction and responsibility for defense policy lie with the government, especially the Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense, and operational command is delegated to professional mlitary officers. We no longer have a situation where the King will ever be personally in command of the army, navy or air force in an actual operation as was perhaps the case in Norway as late as up to World War 2.

So, in summary, I don't see military training as mandatory for an heir nowadays, although by tradition many heirs choose to have it.

Last edited:
Juliane Snekkestad was diagnosted as bipolar. The article in
https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/apner-seg-om-diagnosen/74887973

I hope this information was released by herself (if so, courageous that she is willing to share this as she might be judged because of it - although it might help that mental health is an issue that the Norwegian royal family has been talking about openly before) and not by someone else.

Edit: It sounds as if she indeed discussed it herself voluntarily in an interview. She was diagnosed as a child, so it is not a recent diagnosis and she has known it for a long time as well as people close to her (including her agent).

Last edited:
It's very brave of her to open up about her anxiety and bipolar disorders. Kudos to her. Mental health issues is nothing to be ashamed of.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra visited the Royal Air Force in Bodø today, December 11:

** kongehuset gallery & video **

** nrk.no: Her blir prinsessen en av de siste som får fly F-16 i Norge **

I noticed the NRK article about Ingrid's flight was updated with actual footage of the event, in addition to posting video from teenage Crown Prince Haakon's.

She projects a much fiercer and focused image than he did, honestly. I'm not sure if that's "girls mature earlier", she's making very certain no one underestimates her because she's a girl, she's just less nervous and a different personality than her dad, all of the above, or something else.

Or maybe she was more nervous than him. But IA seems to have a very natural confidence and some real determination. It will be interesting to see where she goes with it.

Last edited:
I noticed the NRK article about Ingrid's flight was updated with actual footage of the event, in addition to posting video from teenage Crown Prince Haakon's.

She projects a much fiercer and focused image than he did, honestly. I'm not sure if that's "girls mature earlier", she's making very certain no one underestimates her because she's a girl, she's just less nervous and a different personality than her dad, all of the above, or something else.

Or maybe she was more nervous than him. But IA seems to have a very natural confidence and some real determination. It will be interesting to see where she goes with it.

It would be nice to see her choose to spend time in the military because she actually wants to, rather than as a way of ticking one more box on the Princess School list. None of the young heirs need to have more than a passing familiarity with the armed services in their countries, but for any of them who take it seriously the experience could be invaluable. For one thing I think military training and service would be the closest any of them would actually get to being judged entirely on their own merit.

For one thing I think military training and service would be the closest any of them would actually get to being judged entirely on their own merit.

Nope, she would be only a toy soldier! Not because she is a girl, but because she is the Crown Princess.

Her untimely death on a mission in a crisis region from an IED or an insurgent sniper would be a catastrophy; a risk, that cannot be accepted - so, no service for her.

Think the Princes William and Harry: Only Harry was on a mission abroad. Yeah, he is somewhat only the expendable spare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom