General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 19: September 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waw , 200 posts about this affair in Spain .. A novel about a story we don't know anything , but which ends with a happy End .. Nothing will change in the Kingdom of Denmark !Amen

Nothing will change, but it offer us evidence that “modernised” monarchies haven’t changed that much since Medieval times- concubines included, it’s an outdated institution after all.

Last edited:
Not just the sleepover - which reputable media reports it’s happened before -
I’m sorry but there is little more reputable than elmundo and they are pro-monarchy.
It’s not only the sleepover, it’s the TRIP ITSELF - why come here at all?
To visit a friend?
and why fly under the radar?
Hitched a ride on a corporate jet. Happens often. - To avoid the sing and dance act when a CP arrives through the VIP section.
Why not notify authorities as Royals are expected to do?
Are they? Royals are expected to make a courtesy call if they happen to be in a country while on the job. That's diplomatic protocol. But not if they are just visiting privately. And who says the authorities were not notified? Certainly on arrival.

Why not let Felipe and Letizia know before their visit?
See above.

Why come while his wife is on a working trip abroad?
Because his wife is not at home. A fine time to visit to a friend. It's not like he has to stay at home to look after the kids and walk the dog.

A sleepover with a socialite known only for her intimate affairs and her marriage into the House of Alba is not justified.

- It seems to me that you are very keen to push forward the theory of infidelity.
Surely you wouldn't like it to be true?
Surely you wouldn't like to see M&F break up or their marriage going through a major crisis?

IMO it's one thing to believe Frederik did have at least a fling, perhaps even an affair. That's fair enough.
It's another matter to actively advocate the infidelity-theory. Which is based on what hard evidence exactly?

Spain is in several ways a more progressive, tolerant and liberal country than Denmark, certainly in regards to sexual relationships. So the readiness to jump to the conclusion that he and Casanova per default has a sexual relationship is surprising to me.
So far Frederik is guilty of spending time in public with a unmarried woman in Spain and in having spend the night in said friends home. And that said friend seemingly offered some incoherent explanation. - These are undeniable facts.
But what hard evidence is there that they had intercourse (and I define intercourse as any sexual activity)? Let alone an affair?

So far it's circumstantial and I find it a little premature to jump to a finite conclusion at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing will change, but it offer us evidence that “modernised” monarchies haven’t changed that much since Medieval times- concubines included, it’s an outdated institution after all.

As if "commoners" or republican officials for that matter did not cheat on their wives either!

I fail to see what that has to do with monarchy (either modernized or not) as a system of government.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but there is little more reputable than elmundo and they are pro-monarchy.
To visit a friend?
Hitched a ride on a corporate jet. Happens often. - To avoid the sing and dance act when a CP arrives through the VIP section.
Are they? Royals are expected to make a courtesy call if they happen to be in a country while on the job. That's diplomatic protocol. But not if they are just visiting privately. And who says the authorities were not notified? Certainly on arrival.

See above.

Because his wife is not at home. A fine time to visit to a friend. It's not like he has to stay at home to look after the kids and walk the dog.

- It seems to me that you are very keen to push forward the theory of infidelity.
Surely you wouldn't like it to be true?
Surely you wouldn't like to see M&F break up or their marriage going through a major crisis?

IMO it's one thing to believe Frederik did have at least a fling, perhaps even an affair. That's fair enough.
It's another matter to actively advocate the infidelity-theory. Which is based on what hard evidence exactly?

Spain is in several ways a more progressive, tolerant and liberal country than Denmark, certainly in regards to sexual relationships. So the readiness to jump to the conclusion that he and Casanova per default has a sexual relationship is surprising to me.
So far Frederik is guilty of spending time in public with a unmarried woman in Spain and in having spend the night in said friends home. And that said friend seemingly offered some incoherent explanation. - These are undeniable facts.
But what hard evidence is there that they had intercourse (and I define intercourse as any sexual activity)? Let alone an affair?

So far it's circumstantial and I find it a little premature to jump to a finite conclusion at this stage.

The theory of infidelity is true to me because i live here and know how things work locally - but after all it’s just Mary and Fred’s marriage agreement.

The press has confirmed that at the airport Frederick didn’t notify his presence - why? because automatically he would have received extra police protection just like Maxima’s daughters when they come here - apparently often enough.

What Spanish journalists were more shocked was not just the obvious infidelity for Spanish standards but the fact that he was “alone” in the street while waiting for the car with embassy plates.
The photographers - one of the three is of the best in the country swear they only say police security in Retiro Park and with a considerable distance from
him. But never during his minutes on the street.

So the main “issue” to Spanish eyes is
1- Affair - not personal relationship as Casanova said - but an intimate one? A physical one then? She hasn’t denied that only said that she is single.
2- Ridiculous lack of security at certain times.
3- No notification he was in the country to authorities
4- Danish pressure to stop reporting it.

To me calling Casanova a friend is plain propaganda, she has lost many female friends throughout her life well documented for sleeping with her friend’s husbands.

I thought of would be useful for many to understand the Spanish perspective, combat Royal PR/propaganda and take the veil from some eyes.

I have been reading the posts for many years, I had an account before because i used to post in the area of Felipe and Letizia.

The theory of infidelity is true to me because i live here and know how things work locally - but after all it’s just Mary and Fred’s marriage agreement.

The press has confirmed that at the airport Frederick didn’t notify his presence - why? because automatically he would have received extra police protection just like Maxima’s daughters when they come here - apparently often enough.

What Spanish journalists were more shocked was not just the obvious infidelity for Spanish standards but the fact that he was “alone” in the street while waiting for the car with embassy plates.
The photographers - one of the three is of the best in the country swear they only say police security in Retiro Park and with a considerable distance from
him. But never during his minutes on the street.

1- Affair - not personal relationship as Casanova said - but an intimate one? A physical one then? She hasn’t denied that only said that she is single.

To me calling Casanova a friend is plain propaganda, she has lost many female friends throughout her life well
documented for sleeping with her friend’s husbands.

And I know Danish mindset and that Frederik is a very informal royal who will shy away from making a spectacle if he can. There a lots of examples to back up that claim. - Not least because by entering Spain officially there is an increased risk of the press being tipped off and just as importantly greatly increase the security risk.
I doubt many Spaniards who met Frederik in the street would even notice him let alone recognize him. So discretion sometimes provides a high degree of security. - You need for someone with hostile intent to notice him, ID him, then grab some sort of weapon or organize something and by then Frederik is gone. And that person can't even be sure it's Frederik.
In the same way members of the DRF - with permanent protection - sometimes go without PET officers around.
The best way to hide a tree is to place it in a forest, and that's basically what Frederik may have done. Do I personally think it was wise? No.

And do we know for certain that no security was present? You yourself mention police spotted in the park - at a distance. My guess says it was uniformed officers, correct?
The Danish embassy would not have provided security. There are occasionally PET officers out to assess the local security and in countries where the security situation is insecure, like Iraq or Mali FET agents from the military provide security. But in Spain it's the Spanish police that provide embassy security.

So knowing Frederik I propose that Frederik went very incognito to Spain to visit a friend, who fell ill. Casanova took over and as they seemingly know each other from at the very least previous hunts, she was a pretty natural local host/guide. They went to see an exhibition, Frederik has a keen interest in art. Stretched their legs in a park. Had a discreet dinner in a restaurant. Nothing unusual about that, many if not most even cheap restaurants offer a separate room if you pay for it. The dinner took hours, nothing unusual about that in Europe and certainly not in Denmark!
Casanova offered Frederik a couch to crash on. - In that way Frederik wouldn't have to stay at a hotel, which would make his visit even more incognito and the risk of him being noticed even less. (Perhaps using a fakish passport. The passport is actually not fake, it's fully legal and official, just issued in another name.) He could also have stayed at the embassy but that would mean a certain degree of formality, like dining with ambassador etc.
Frederik left the next morning and waited on the street for the car from the embassy. Who apart from an alert paparazzi, would otherwise notice a middle aged man on the street waiting for a taxi or a ride?
Frederik flew home, either by the corporate jet or a commercial flight and he would be home by noon or so.

Does this version seem less plausible than your theory about Frederik having apparently a long term affair with a notorious and well known high class prostitute/professional mistress?

Danish pressure to stop the story? That's new to me or perhaps I missed that detail. Who is pressuring whom?
The story is already out and Spain has a free press.

Last edited:
In sum, all we know 100% certain is:

1. Mary working in NYC at a public event ( 24-26th october)
2. Frederick In Madrid (23-26th October)
3. No notification to Spanish authorities so no police protection from any member of Spanish police (unusual)
4. Photographs evidence of him alone with Genoveva Casanova at Retiro park, photo at her place to change clothes, then dinner, then photo at door again and photo of him leaving her flat at 8:30am alone and waiting at her street to be driven by Embassy car to the airport.
5. Instagram photos of Genoveva in Copenhague posted on October 6th.

That’s all

Last edited:

3. No notification to Spanish authorities so no police protection from any member of Spanish police (unusual)
4. Photographs evidence of him alone with Genoveva Casanova at Retiro park, photo at her place to change clothes, then dinner, then photo at door again and photo of him leaving her flat at 8:30am alone and waiting at her street to be driven by Embassy car to the airport.
5. Genoveva Casanova socialite - known to locals for similar stories.
That’s all

So, not much, eh?

1) Mary's whereabouts is pretty irrelevant. If she wasn't with Frederik it doesn't matter whether she was on the Moon or back home in Copenhagen.

2) That is certain? He was noticed arriving on the 23th and leaving on the 26th?

3) Unusual, yes, but in my previous post I offered an explanation.
Anyway, police protection or lack of it does not prove anything. The police is obliged to offer protection, preventing or covering up from infidelity is not among their duties. They are obliged to step in to prevent the person they protect from doing something criminal or dangerous.
Apart from that the police officers will have to sit on the side of the bed looking on to absolutely conclusively prove a sexual affair.

4) So they changed for dinner? So do I if I go to a restaurant. Every time it is possible. They weren't after all eating at a diner.
We have indeed already established that Frederik stayed at Casanova's place.
Is it peculiar for men in Madrid to wait on street at 08:30 in the morning? That proves what? That he was waiting for a ride.
I will make a counter proposal: Does Miss Casanova have a day job? In which case Frederik may have left early for her to get fully dressed and ready for work. Or he may have decided to have breakfast with the ambassador before leaving Spain. Who knows? It doesn't prove anything.

5) Ah yes, I forgot. The notorious Casanova of the town. I understand though that even loose women can be kind and honorable and associate otherwise honorable men of very high moral without anything improper happening. Maria Magdalena springs to mind...

- To quote your last sentence: That's it.

Last edited:
I have stated what it is 100% certain not what you perceive.
Answering to your questions from what it is assumed to be known
Casanova doesn’t have a job. She was in Masterchef celebrities and the chase celebrities too.
The rent of her place - one room for her and another for each one of her children( 3-bedroom flat) is known to be paid by her ex husband - House of Alba
He has some income from her interviews to magazines and social media - last relevant was a post of her in Copenhague.

No need for jobs really.

(..)

I have answered because of Mary Magdalene, it sprang to my mind too.
If it’s been going on for months maybe this time was different. I don’t know. His trip has no justification alone I went this morning to the “Picasso exhibit and it’s two small rooms. It’s nothing of value, less to travel for a 4- hour flight. What the media now knows is the dates 23-26th October.
Madrid-copenhague 3 hours 35 mins aprox flight exactly if direct.
A funny note is that the photographers couldn’t believe it was him - only certain for the car with Embassy plates. It was worth a cover just for who she is.

- All answered.

5. Instagram photos of Genoveva in Copenhague posted on October 6th.

That’s all

Do we know these five things with 100% certainty?! How? Do you have sources on all this that can show any evidence?

Your point 5:

It may be that the lady was in Copenhagen on October 6th, but Crown Prince Frederik was not. He wasn't even in the country.

That week, Crown Prince Frederik took part in a sailing race in the south of France. From 4.-8. October. Which was why Crown Prince Frederik couldn’t attend the premiere at Josephine's theater debut in Tivoli on October 7th.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...immelstroeg-her-er-kronprins-frederik-lige-nu

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...saint-tropez-kronprins-frederik-goer-det-igen

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...sse-josephines-skuespiller-debut-men-hvor-var

So your 'affair' is coming to your town, but you'd rather sail abroad in the meantime. Nah.

Last edited:
I read on social media that the dates Fred was in Madrid with Casanova are include a date the rest of the family were supporting Josephine in a show. Fred was the only one missing apparently.

:previous:

See my post above.

October 6th: Casanova was in Copenhagen.
October 7th: Princess Josephine's theater debut in Tivoli

From October 4th to October 8th Crown Prince Frederik took part in a sailing race in the south of France. Which was why Crown Prince Frederik couldn’t attend the premiere. He went see Josephine on stage when he returned home.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...immelstroeg-her-er-kronprins-frederik-lige-nu

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...saint-tropez-kronprins-frederik-goer-det-igen

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...sse-josephines-skuespiller-debut-men-hvor-var

Last edited:
I have stated what it is 100% certain not what you perceive.
Answering to your questions from what it is assumed to be known
Casanova doesn’t have a job. She was in Masterchef celebrities and the chase celebrities too.
The rent of her place - one room for her and another for each one of her children( 3-bedroom flat) is known to be paid by her ex husband - House of Alba

No need for jobs really.

I'm merely trying to understand. I prefer what natives report rather than rely on often confusing Goggle translations.
Returning to his arrival on the 23rd. How do we know that for certain? Photographs? Official records? Passenger lists?
Likewise how do we know he left on the 26th?
Unless it's from an official or from Miss Casanova or Frederik himself - "someone or sources saying" is not evidence enough.

So Miss Casanova is a lady of (comparatively, I understand) means? Hardly a crime, I'd say. Quite a few divorcees are able to live of the alimony paid by a former husband.

I suggest we start all over again, and list what are verifiable facts.

Frederik was in Spain solo.
Flew in by private jet. (Corporate Mærsk or Danfoss, the DRF sometimes hitch a ride on these jets. That is a fact.)
Met with and went for a stroll in a park with Miss Casanova.
They changed clothes at Miss Casanova's place.
Had dinner in a restaurant in a room of their own.
Returned to Miss Casanova's homes, where Frederik spend the night. Seven hours later he left Miss Casanova's home and was seen waiting for the car from the Danish embassy. (Presumably it had CD plates.)
Miss Casanova gave a confusing explanation for Frederik's presence.

- Did I leave something out?
Everything else is hearsay, speculation or "sources", correct?

(..)

I have answered because of Mary Magdalene, it sprang to my mind too.
If it’s been going on for months maybe this time was different. I don’t know. His trip has no justification alone I went this morning to the “Picasso exhibit and it’s two small rooms. It’s nothing of value, less to travel for a 4- hour flight.

Exactly, you don't know. Nor do I.
But wasn't Frederik originally intended to visit another friend? Perhaps they wanted to visit other exhibitions?
People with the opportunity and means sometimes do things that are seemingly troublesome for mere mortals like us.
And things are relative: To most Europeans a four hour flight is long, but to say Americans a four hour flight for a weekend visit, is nothing to write home about.

Sorry I thought the suggestion was Fred was in Madrid with Casanova when Josephine's dance show was on, now I get he was sailing and it wasn't the same date.

8 hours for an overnight pleasure jaunt is pretty extreme.

I think it can be assumed Fred was in Madrid for more than one night. Since he was not at the embassy and no one has tracked him to a hotel or elsewhere yet, I think that leaves one option where was he was. For the duration.

Sorry I thought the suggestion was Fred was in Madrid with Casanova when Josephine's dance show was on, now I get he was sailing and it wasn't the same date.

No worries :flowers:

It just proves how much the things, dates and events are being distorted in this story.

Last edited:

I think it can be assumed Fred was in Madrid for more than one night. Since he was not at the embassy and no one has tracked him to a hotel or elsewhere yet, I think that leaves one option where was he was. For the duration.

If he did stay for several days.

I understand, according to one explanation, that Frederik was scheduled to meet an old friend who went down with Corona in the last minute - otherwise the whole visit surely would be postponed.
Okay, Frederik was on his way. Friend called, Corona, no show. Have arranged for Miss Casanova to meet you instead.
Right, Frederik can hardly get off in mid flight, and change course means a change of light plans and fuel considerations. Not to mention that there may have been other on that jet who needed to go to Madrid.
So Frederik landed, was met by Miss Casanova. Spend the night at her place and went back home again.

I don't know whether that was the case, but is it plausible?

You see what I mean? There is very little to base a definitive conclusion on, yet.

Weren't the Spanish papers supposed to publish things more at length today since it's Saturday?

:previous:

See my post above.

October 6th: Casanova was in Copenhagen.
October 7th: Princess Josephine's theater debut in Tivoli

From October 4th to October 8th Crown Prince Frederik took part in a sailing race in the south of France. Which was why Crown Prince Frederik couldn’t attend the premiere. He went see Josephine on stage when he returned home.

She posted her Copenhague trip on the 6th of October saying: I was in Copenhague…
Some of the photos are from the 4th of October concert of Luke Combs at the Copenhague Royal Arena, and many others from the National Museum, where her ancestors had donated precolombian artworks

El Mundo in their article about the month-long affair states that her great great grandfather on her mother side was from Copenhague.
I posted the article in previous posts - if you don’t speak Spanish all you have to do is translate it.

On Spanish TV Susana Griso after the afternoon news said that Genoveva has told her that Frederick had visited her before in Madrid after meeting at a Hunting event and that they used to meet a few times a year. And her phone is operative again.

The consensus here in Madrid, (news/ myoffice/my neighbours/ cafes/friends/ her neighbourhood cafes) the affair went on for months but he came to finish it and her revenge was to take him to very public places to exhibit it. Others say she called the paps.

Other countries perspective? I don’t know. I’m quite shocked the views are so different. But I guess it’s a big world.

Last edited:

1. Did you want her statement to say "no, I am not having sex with the Danish Crown Prince"? :eek: Surely, you can read between the lines.
2. His PET agents were following him at all times.
3. Why would there be?
4. Regardless of whether or not the claims are true, obviously the DRF is gonna try to stop the Spanish tabloids trying to snowball this story (probably also well-aware of how disgustingly they tend to treat their own royals). It's not exactly a darling of a story.

To me calling Casanova a friend is plain propaganda, she has lost many female friends throughout her life well documented for sleeping with her friend’s husbands.

So you're saying Casanova is incapable of having friends because she will just sleep with them/their husbands? What a nasty thing to say about another person.

I'm merely trying to understand. I prefer what natives report rather than rely on often confusing Goggle translations.
Returning to his arrival on the 23rd. How do we know that for certain? Photographs? Official records? Passenger lists?
Likewise how do we know he left on the 26th?
Unless it's from an official or from Miss Casanova or Frederik himself - "someone or sources saying" is not evidence enough.

The answer to your question seems to be: Unverifiable Spanish tabloid rumours :cool:

First he travels there to break up with her, then he stays for a love vacation lasting several days... :cool: It's not like these sources (funnily enough only ever appearing in the Spanish press :whistling:) are any better at keeping their stories straight than Frederik and Miss Casanova...

Not really. Unfortunately, privileged people do that all the time.

So you can assume that, but it can't.

The consensus here in Madrid, (news/ myoffice/my neighbours/ cafes/friends/ her neighbourhood cafes) the affair went on for months but he came to finish it and her revenge was to take him to very public places to exhibit it. Others say she called the paps.

Oh, the world famous talk of the town! Almost as trustworthy as a peer-reviewed article!

1. Did you want her statement to say "no, I am not having sex with the Danish Crown Prince"? :eek: Surely, you can read between the lines.
2. His PET agents were following him at all times.
3. Why would there be?
4. Regardless of whether or not the claims are true, obviously the DRF is gonna try to stop the Spanish tabloids trying to snowball this story (probably also well-aware of how disgustingly they tend to treat their own royals). It's not exactly a darling of a story.

So you're saying Casanova is incapable of having friends because she will just sleep with them/their husbands? What a nasty thing to say about another person.

The answer to your question seems to be: Unverifiable Spanish tabloid rumours :cool:

First he travels there to break up with her, then he stays for a love vacation lasting several days... :cool: It's not like these sources (funnily enough only ever appearing in the Spanish press :whistling:) are any better at keeping their stories straight than Frederik and Miss Casanova...

Not really. Unfortunately, privileged people do that all the time.

So you can assume that, but it can't.

Oh, the world famous talk of the town! Almost as trustworthy as a peer-reviewed article!

Why don’t you try have a look at reputed newspapers elmundo.es and abc.es
They are not tabloids - we don’t have any. There are some magazines. But in this instance it’s every press category reporting the same because this is a small city after all and stories run fast. Among journalists and locals.

2. The photographers have stated publicly on TV that he didn’t have any PET officers after he left the car and entered her apartment to sleep or see her stamp collection …

or after he left his flat next morning. he is photographed alone until the car picks him up around 10
minutes later and it’s a narrow street. Safe?

Her flat isn’t big enough to host any police officers so the talk of the town is not just the obvious infidelity but also how naïve of him to walk alone.
More and more information came out today in the newspapers and it’s essentially a few months affair.

How could a family man with a love story behind and a family be so unfaithful. well that’s what Danish people should be questioning.
For us Madrid locals that’s not our problem. But it is what happened here and there is an answer to this right now.

Is it a peer-to-peer review report? Local assumptions aren’t but if newspapers are saying the same, tv and magazines as well then there must be some truth to it.

Here at my editorial we publish text books. Are they more trustworthy than elmundo ? I don’t think so because history books can be easily biased.

History will judge him for his facts, - recorded evidence, photographs, what local people know, and reputable newspapers like elmundo.es write history. Local knowledge of the context in which takes place as well for this matter.

not our opinions anyways.

Last edited:
:previous: Potato, potato. Their gossip sections are not particularly reputed to me if even they can't make heads and tails of their own stories (or just publish anything from any "source" – resulting in stories that logically just don't make sense).

PET's job is to remain unseen. Colour me naive but given that it's their job to provide round-the-clock protection (be that in a car on the street or what have you), I'm more inclined to trust our national intelligence service than a group of paparazzis :cool:

If one newspaper, TV show or magazine is running a story that provides lots of traction, the others will follow regardless of whether the story is true or not so long as there's a little bit of substance – in this case, the pictures.

For it not being your problem, you sure seem invested though. Still unable to provide links for your sources, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Have a look at the links provided in my previous posts for a reputable newspaper perspective.

In abc there is an article where it says that Frederick has reassured his circle that he is not going to leave his wife despite the affair. That’s what is was left to say.

I am not going to keep publishing links again and again.

I have enough of this talk, it is what it is. I see now that monarchy has an immense power to blind people so they can hide their mistakes and sneaky behaviours. Always excused.
Some are actually honest people but then they have too much power in their hands so why keep love promises.

Don’t quote me again, i’ll be in Felipe’s area at least he is faithful.

Last edited:
Have a look at the links provided in my previous posts for a reputable newspaper perspective.

In abc there is an article where it says that Frederick has reassured his circle that he is not going to leave his wife despite the affair. That’s what is was left to say.

I am not going to keep publishing links again and again.

I have enough of this talk, it is what it is. I see now that monarchy has an immense power to blind people so they can hide their mistakes and sneaky behaviours. Always excused.
Some are actually honest people but then they have too much power in their hands so why keep love promises.

Don’t quote me again, i’ll be in Felipe’s area at least he is faithful.

Hi anabellka, I wanted to post my thanks and appreciation for your sharing of what is going on in the Spanish media earlier today … but as it is Sunday here, and the ferry services are less frequent, I didn’t have time this morning before I had to rush out.

I think Australia is at least half a week behind with the details that have come out, and though it has been covered on radio and tv, and probably in tomorrow’s new magazines, we’re obviously not in the loop down here as you are, and also lula.

I would think that after Denmark, Australia has a big interest in this. Frederik has hobnobbed alongside at least three of our Prime Ministers since marrying Mary.

I once stood in a crowd in the Sydney CBD while a very smartly turned out professional woman started to cry, while we were watching Mary.

We were strangers and she just lucked upon the scene, not knowing Mary was going to be there.

As she started to well-up with tears she told me she didn’t know why she was crying, but I understood. (And I’m much older than either her or Mary.)

It was a fairytale, but now there is a crack in it.

At least Count Nikolai and his partner had their time in the spotlight down here before this came out and put a pall over their public appearances.

When Prince Christian got caught in a rip at the beach here in Australia a few years ago, all sorts of claims were made … that the lifesavers knew who he was, that rips aren’t that dangerous, that these lifesavers just wanted to be famous etc.

The clearly stated facts of what happened were muddled up with some pretty out there rubbish, even from the Danish palace.

I haven’t really followed Frederik, and only really followed Mary when she has been in Australia, but even I have heard some things than have tainted Frederik’s reputation.

I even saw first-hand something of Frederik’s approach to his position as heir to the Danish throne once here in Sydney.

A small, but extremely noisy, crowd of us were waiting under the Opera House for the couple to leave the rehearsal of the Crown Prince Couple Prize.

Frederik left a good time ahead of Mary.

Despite the racket we were making, and he was on an official visit here for the anniversary of the Opera House, he did not glance in our direction.

It would have cost him nothing to pause by the car, smile, wave, just for a moment.

There were quite a few Danish people in the crowd, calling in Danish.

A chance for some positive PR not taken.

(When Mary came out, she turned from her car, walked along the line of us, smiling, talking, having her photo taken, shaking many hands. What a contrast.)

Anyway, thank you so much anabellka for all the information you have shared.

And thank you lula as another poster “on the ground” in Spain.

Also, Prinsara and IRIS1983, I have appreciated your insightful posts.

Personally I think the Crown Prince Couple will continue on, as if nothing has happened.

Of course, this will always be there now though.

I would like to think the whole unnecessary situation is - was, a tempest in teapot, but unfortunately I dont.
I also think Frederik handled it terribly, from the get go. The optics, WHATEVER the truth actually is, are just terrible.

To recap, and this is soley my understanding, everything about this trip blew up into a controversial circus.

Frederik, decides to go to Madrid, while Mary is on a business trip to NYC. To see a Pablo Picasso Exhibit, with an unnamed friend.
He decides to fly in surreptitiously, WITHOUT letting The Spanish Authorities know he is in The Country, so that as a precaution or courtesy, extra Security would have been provided.

The unnamed friend comes down with Covid at the 'very' last minute, and Genoveva Casanova, steps up by taking Frederik to the Pablo Picasso Exhibit and Dinner. OK, fine, but THEN why did Frederik spend the night at Genoveva's place ? Why ?

Supposedly, IF the plan was to be with the friend he originally intended to visit with.... WHY then would this also include staying at Genoveva's place ? He had a option to stay at The Danish Embassy in Madrid OR a Hotel. Frederik WASN'T even allegedly even going to be with her originally ?
Didn't he have accommodations set up ? Usually, THATS the first thing someone or their Assistant nails down, making travel arrangements.

I thought these Heirs to Thrones, like The Crown Prince Frederik, all had a Private Secretary that they ran things through ? Coordinate plans and have everything in place. Especially when traveling in a foreign Country. Whether on official or private business.

Also, which I thought was glaring, there was NO Security available to stay at Genoveva's. The World is a very unstable right now and I would bet in Madrid at an 5 Star exclusive Restaurant * someone * would recognize Frederik. Again, just me. Not a smart move.

So, I'm not buying LOTS of aspects of this tawdry story. Things dont add up. Frederik acted very irresponsible and incredibly self indulged, in my opinion. A perfect storm of bad planning, execution, without a care about how it would hurt and humiliate Mary and their children. And what Queen Margarethe and the Court must make of this ?

Bad judgement all around by Frederik.
Love to know who is the "friend" is that allegedly dropped out due to Covid. It won't happen, but if that part is true, it would certainly put Frederik in a more favorable light. To me anyway.

Last edited:
I would like to think the whole unnecessary situation is - was, a tempest in teapot, but unfortunately I dont.
I also think Frederik handled it terribly, from the get go. The optics, WHATEVER the truth actually is, are just terrible.

To recap, and this is solely my understanding, everything about this trip blew up into a controversial circus.

Frederik, decides to go to Madrid, while Mary is on a business trip to NYC. To see a Pablo Picasso Exhibit, with an unnamed friend.
He decides to fly in surreptitiously, WITHOUT letting The Spanish Authorities know he is in The Country, so that as a precaution or courtesy, extra Security would have been provided.

The unnamed friend comes down with Covid at the 'very' last minute, and Genoveva Casanova, steps up by taking Frederik to the Pablo Picasso Exhibit and Dinner. OK, fine, but THEN why did Frederik spend the night at Genoveva's place ? Why ?

Supposedly, IF the plan was to be with the friend he originally intended to visit with.... WHY then would this also include staying at Genoveva's place ? He had a option to stay at The Danish Embassy in Madrid OR a Hotel. Frederik WASN'T even allegedly even going to be with her originally ?
Didn't he have accommodations set up ? Usually, THATS the first thing someone or their Assistant nails down, making travel arrangements.

I thought these Heirs to Thrones, like The Crown Prince Frederik, all had a Private Secretary that they ran things through ? Coordinate plans and have everything in place. Especially when traveling in a foreign Country. Whether on official or private business.

Also, which I thought was glaring, there was NO Security available to stay at Genoveva's. The World is a very unstable right now and I would bet in Madrid at an 5 Star exclusive Restaurant * someone * would recognize Frederik. Again, just me. Not a smart move.

So, I'm not buying LOTS of aspects of this tawdry story. Things dont add up. Frederik acted very irresponsible and incredibly self indulged, in my opinion. A perfect storm of bad planning, execution, without a care about how it would hurt and humiliate Mary and their children. And what Queen Margarethe and the Court must make of this ?

Bad judgement all around by Frederik.
Love to know who is the "friend" is that allegedly dropped out due to Covid. It won't happen, but if that part is true, it would certainly put Frederik in a more favorable light. To me anyway.

Very well said. I have been following the Danish Royal Family for many years. I was thrilled to see their wedding and pleased every time I saw photos of their lovely family. We are all mortals and 20 years of marriage can change things but F&M seemed the real thing. Ok, he is good looking and in the position he is, probably has been tempted in the past, who knows if he gave in or not.

But this was a real disappointment. Mainly beacause of the recklesness F exhibited. And, sorry, I don't know the particular customs of every civilization, but a married man spending the night at the home of a female friend doesn't look good. And even if under certain circumstances it could be OK for someone else, in F's position it is really strange how he did all that (the dinner, the exhibition, Parco Retiro, her home) without -seemingly-a care in the world. I don't believe for a moment he isn't aware of the potential dangers.

And to all these arguments "she's a friend, he can stay at her place for a night", what kind of a friend is she? how long does he know her? does Mary know her? We all like Fred and Mary and I too would like to believe he and Ms C. are good old friends but the truth is if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Hi anabellka, I wanted to post my thanks and appreciation for your sharing of what is going on in the Spanish media earlier today … but as it is Sunday here, and the ferry services are less frequent, I didn’t have time this morning before I had to rush out.

I think Australia is at least half a week behind with the details that have come out, and though it has been covered on radio and tv, and probably in tomorrow’s new magazines, we’re obviously not in the loop down here as you are, and also lula.

I would think that after Denmark, Australia has a big interest in this. Frederik has hobnobbed alongside at least three of our Prime Ministers since marrying Mary.

I once stood in a crowd in the Sydney CBD while a very smartly turned out professional woman started to cry, while we were watching Mary.

We were strangers and she just lucked upon the scene, not knowing Mary was going to be there.

As she started to well-up with tears she told me she didn’t know why she was crying, but I understood. (And I’m much older than either her or Mary.)

It was a fairytale, but now there is a crack in it.

At least Count Nikolai and his partner had their time in the spotlight down here before this came out and put a pall over their public appearances.

When Prince Christian got caught in a rip at the beach here in Australia a few years ago, all sorts of claims were made … that the lifesavers knew who he was, that rips aren’t that dangerous, that these lifesavers just wanted to be famous etc.

The clearly stated facts of what happened were muddled up with some pretty out there rubbish, even from the Danish palace.

I haven’t really followed Frederik, and only really followed Mary when she has been in Australia, but even I have heard some things than have tainted Frederik’s reputation.

I even saw first-hand something of Frederik’s approach to his position as heir to the Danish throne once here in Sydney.

A small, but extremely noisy, crowd of us were waiting under the Opera House for the couple to leave the rehearsal of the Crown Prince Couple Prize.

Frederik left a good time ahead of Mary.

Despite the racket we were making, and he was on an official visit here for the anniversary of the Opera House, he did not glance in our direction.

It would have cost him nothing to pause by the car, smile, wave, just for a moment.

There were quite a few Danish people in the crowd, calling in Danish.

A chance for some positive PR not taken.

(When Mary came out, she turned from her car, walked along the line of us, smiling, talking, having her photo taken, shaking many hands. What a contrast.)

Anyway, thank you so much anabellka for all the information you have shared.

And thank you lula as another poster “on the ground” in Spain.

Also, Prinsara and IRIS1983, I have appreciated your insightful posts.

Personally I think the Crown Prince Couple will continue on, as if nothing has happened.

Of course, this will always be there now though.

Thank you for your kind words Sun Lion. I just come here for a quick thank you.
I hadn’t realised this marriage could spark so many feelings on people from Australia.
Still, I really believe their love story is real, there is no doubt it was special.
At the same time, it has been 20 years since they married and their son is now an adult heir to the crown. So it’s all fine. According to elmundo Frederick has reassured his closest circle he will continue with his marriage. So it’s all fine towards the gallery

If this is documented by elmundo and Susana Griso after afternoon news as having gone for a few months affair affects you or other people so personally just forget what happened. Anyways. he seems to have done so as well.

Both realities can co-exist at the same time. It is still a fairytale wedding and solid union that will continue over many years hopefully. But this things, royal and non royal affairs happen as well -some are platonic some are not. Some simply last longer and there is no justification, no explanation they made up a friend story (apparently a Mexican friend of hers who studied with him introduced them a few months ago) but that’s life- that means we are alive and human- Elmundo is a serious newspaper and they wouldn’t have published it otherwise. But that doesn’t necessarily undermine the love and beautiful family they have. Their marriage happened and it was the real deal. A genuine love story that transcended space, countries and cultures.

On the contrary, considering the negative press, this might have strengthened their relationship and make him absolutely aware of how lucky he is with what he has at home: A woman who left everything to be with him and four children that surely love him very much
Still there is a great deal of PR to those stories and we don’t know their private lives well enough.

Again thank you for your appreciation, I was trying to make people aware of what’s published and talked about here in Madrid. I actually work near her flat by Alfonso XII and I was able to spot the street in the photos. So it seemed so “close”.

Last edited:
To me the problem is the image built on 'fairy tale' and that the new generation of royal women are not supposed to tolerate open infideltiy like Sofia, Silvia etc. did in the past, when it was common practice.

Sun Lion said there is a crack now, and I agree. It will not go away, no matter if true or not, the image is tainted. People will believe what they want to believe anyway, but selling the fairy tale image might become a difficult task now. A big show for the 20th wedding anniversary in 2024 seems ridiculous and a massive PR problem.

There are just a few too many odd things about it all to make it seem innocent IMO. That doesn't mean it wasn't innocent but there does seem to have been some rather odd decisions that I don't see why you'd make if it was all innocent.

Do I think it is a bad thing to stay a friends house - even if that friend is of the opposite sex? NO

But if Frederik was meeting someone else why did he end up staying at Casanova's house? It seemed his suitcase only arrived afterwards so where was it before? If he was booked into a hotel why the change in plans? I'm sure there was a car on standby at all times.

Staying at Casanova's house only really makes sense to me if he was meeting her all along.

If there was nothing untoward happening why leave separately? It would be an interesting time to begin playing cover up after freely walking about together for most of the day before. I guess its possible someone let them know the press were outside thus they chose to leave separately thinking this would avoid them being pictured together not knowing they have been followed all around town all day. But as ever, the cover up looks worse than the crime - if you really are just friends why not leave together as friends would, leaving separately plays into a different narrative (even if untrue).

The thing that really throws me is why Fred was away on a private break at the same time Mary was away in NY on official duties. I'm 100% not parent shaming them at all but I find it odd for a couple who seem to be so hands on (or make themselves appear to be) that he would choose to be away when Mary has to be for work.

It is interesting how Casanova is now said to be a friend of Frederik's but no one is suggesting she is a friend of the family's or of Mary. If she is known to Mary or attended events with her I would have expected friends or others to have been discreetly encouraged to leak them to the press by now.

To me the problem is the image built on 'fairy tale' and that the new generation of royal women are not supposed to tolerate open infideltiy like Sofia, Silvia etc. did in the past, when it was common practice.

Sun Lion said there is a crack now, and I agree. It will not go away, no matter if true or not, the image is tainted. People will believe what they want to believe anyway, but selling the fairy tale image might become a difficult task now. A big show for the 20th wedding anniversary in 2024 seems ridiculous and a massive PR problem.

Well, listen, I doubt any of these royal women who are fifteen or twenty years into their marriage see their husbands as the fairytale prince who swept them away to a life of endless happiness, if they ever did. I remember an interview Mary gave quite a few years ago now where she was asked about how she felt about her fairy tale marriage, or fairytale life, or something like that, and she basically said fairytale lives and fairytale marriages don’t exist, that she felt fortunate to have found someone who suited her as well as Frederik did, but that even a very happy marriage/life requires effort, compromise, etc.

Going through the list of European monarchies, there’s whatever this thing with Frederik is, in Sweden there was something that came bubbling up about Daniel’s potential relationship with another woman, and I can’t recall any rumours of infidelity with Haakon and Mette-Marit, but she has a serious chronic health condition, and that alone means they’ve had plenty to deal with. Albert and Charlene, you could write a book. I can remember at least one rumour of a marital crisis with Felipe and Letizia that seemed more credible than the usual overheated Spanish press with its nonsense. William and Kate had the situation with their mutual friend; although that actually did seem to be based on absolutely nothing, there are still plenty of people out there who will always take it as fact that William had an affair. The only couple where absolutely nothing springs to mind is Philippe and Mathilde.

Maybe the problem is more that we, the public, insist on fairytales, or at least simple narratives, for public marriages, that are unattainable for the vast majority of couples. I know I found it refreshing to hear Michelle Obama speak so openly about the challenges she and Barack faced when their kids were little, and that the challenges weren’t nonsense about how he could never remember to put his dishes in the sink, but significant, ongoing issues about parenting and careers that I think would seem familiar to many of us. Of course, she wouldn’t have been able to speak so openly about problems like that while they were in the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom