General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 19: September 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frederik might be as innocent as a newborn baby, but he did indeed put himself in a situation that if found out, can easily be misinterpreted. That I'll grant you.

M&F have often been away from their children for days at a time, sometimes both of them at the same time. I'm sure they are well looked after and in contrast to just 30 years ago, they can get in touch with their dad and see him in an instant. I think he is regularly in contact with both his children and Mary when he is away.
It's naturally not the same, but they can stay in touch.
The children are all teens now, they can to a very considerable extent look after themselves and each other now.
And surely if something is wrong with one of your children, you stay at home is at all possible.
And in the worst case scenario he would be able to come home, even with a commercial flight, within 6-8 hours max, including waiting for the thing to take off. There are lots of flights between DK and Spain, even southern Sweden and Spain if necessary.

I recall our Marie a few years ago visiting Uganda and there was no mobile coverage (and in Africa today, that's far out!) so she missed talking to her children.

I'm sorry but now we are speculating how Frederik is as a father? because he went 1, 2, 3 days to Spain??

I know we don't know what goes on behind close doors, but there is 18 years of seeing Frederik in his role of father and I see kids who are connected to both their father and their mother. I won't go in to every instant but one that stands out happened just last month, Christian mentioning Frederik's hole in the sock incident. Not only does it show, to me, that Christian knows this story, Frederik has shared his experiences with his son (of course Christian could have googled); but it shows that there is enough closeness/connection that Christian feels confident enough to tease his father in public. To me that shows united beyond the family photos.

Last edited:
Yes, I see this as almost two separate but connected issues - Frederik's naivety in his confirmed actions - and then the issue of whether there is more going on.

I'm sorry but staying at a female friends house, just the two of you, when you are a Crown Prince is stupid. There may be nothing wrong going on - hey maybe Fred is tying to show economic frugality by staying with a friend. But if he didn't think it would look odd and raise questions then he is very very stupid (no other word for it)

Going away and leaving the children while Mary is on a work visit shows another side of Frederik - it shows me he isn't the hands on father he has been made out to be.

Being friends with Casanova in the first place seems like a bad call IMO, even if we say Fred was being magnanimous, knowing her history as someone who seems to quite like fame, and quite likes other people's men, staying at her house was very silly. Add to that, Fred's own rumours in past of liking to party with women.

Those are all based on the very minimum facts we know about this trip and show a worrying lack of judgement and understanding by Frederik. If there is even a hint of truth to the notion of an affair then we are in completely different territory.

I agree with this - even if there is no affair involved, he put his wife and children in an awkward situation just by being pictured with Ms Casanova. There have been a couple of minor incidents over the years that have made me think Frederik isn’t as aware of the importance of optics as Mary is, and I can believe that he could be careless enough to not spend time thinking about how things would look if he was pictured spending time with another woman.

I will say that, to me, Frederik wasn’t acting like someone having an affair, simply because most people having an affair try very hard to not get caught. Frederik might be careless, but he isn’t stupid, and he’d know there’d be a decent chance that someone would recognize/photograph him as he moved quite openly around Madrid. And he has plenty of money to pay for very nice hotels, along with friends who have country houses, hunting estates and discreet staff, if he wanted to have a relationship and not get caught.

I'm sorry but now we are speculating how Frederik is as a father? because he went 1, 2, 3 days to Spain??

I know we don't know what goes on behind close doors, but there is 18 years of seeing Frederik in his role of father and I see kids who are connected to both their father and their mother. I won't go in to every instant but one that stands out happened just last month, Christian mentioning Frederik's hole in the sock incident. Not only does it show, to me, that Christian knows this story, Frederik has shared his experiences with his son (of course Christian could have googled); but it shows that there is enough closeness/connection that Christian feels confident enough to tease his father in public. To me that shows united beyond the family photos.

I think it is fair to say choosing to go to Spain for a holiday while your wife is away on work business and leaving 4 children at home without a parent is a choice that some may not agree with. Does it make him an awful father? No of course not. But it adds to the list of behaviours this trip has shown up.

Apparently, I guess raising what appears to be 4 very confident, well-adjusted children means nothing because he took a small trip. I'm surprised at how many people really want Frederick to be the bad guy. He's always been a little careless, quick to act before thinking, and emotional like his father rather than logical like his mother but he has never struck me as a bad guy.

When I look at this situation, Frederick taking a private trip and not notifying officials, a lax attitude to security, being very casual in public and not worrying about the paparazzi or how an image might be construed, and spending the night at a friends rather than a hotel - these things all strike me as very Frederick and not out of character. Which is why I'm not too quick to condemn the guy and automatically think the worse.

And if he did have an affair, or their marriage has been having issues, they deserve to be able to deal with that privately. They have done an amazing job raising the next generation of the DRF and building their Crown Princely brand for Denmark. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I will say that, to me, Frederik wasn’t acting like someone having an affair, simply because most people having an affair try very hard to not get caught. Frederik might be careless, but he isn’t stupid, and he’d know there’d be a decent chance that someone would recognize/photograph him as he moved quite openly around Madrid. And he has plenty of money to pay for very nice hotels, along with friends who have country houses, hunting estates and discreet staff, if he wanted to have a relationship and not get caught.

Unless it's not the first of such trips he's taken and this is the first time he got photographed? We shall never know.

Anyway, I wonder how many married people here would fly 4 hours to visit a single friend of the opposite sex, one you've just known quite recently, stay in their flat just the two of you, go around the city with just that friend. I can understand doing that for people I've been friends with for 10 years or so, but even then, I don't think my husband would like me visiting them alone and staying in their flat. Even if nothing happens, it's a bit too intimate. Worse if it's not a particularly old friend, one with a certain reputation.

The other reason I can think of why a married man would do fly to visit a newish friend and stay in her flat? *Puts on tinfoil hat* There's a business deal going on, she's selling him the flat, another property, a painting that's in her flat, she has a very rare vintage lego collection she wants to sell to Frederik LOL. Maybe Frederik would rather the public thinks he's having an affair vs buying a property in Spain since property purchase news can sometimes attractive negative press for royals, or engaging in some sort of business deal. :D

It was said Frederik went to Madrid with a group of University friends, to see the Pablo Picasso exhibition at a museum there.

The information changed to it then being one friend and that this friend suddenly became ill … Covid … who then asked his friend, Ms Casanova, to stand in for him. She is an art expert and was available to do so.

Not criticizing you, Sun Lion, but this description made me laugh out loud. Turbo Prince, the action man, suddenly takes an interest in art and requires an emergency art expert? I believe that...sure...

In the long run, the more damaging problem would be if Frederik looks arrogant or privileged. (Same problem Juan Carlos had.) If he doesn't see a problem with the optics of this situation, maybe he's stupid, which would be sad. But if he *does* understand the situation and doesn't care, or thinks it doesn't apply to him, there's a big problem looming.

Apparently, I guess raising what appears to be 4 very confident, well-adjusted children means nothing because he took a small trip. I'm surprised at how many people really want Frederick to be the bad guy. He's always been a little careless, quick to act before thinking, and emotional like his father rather than logical like his mother but he has never struck me as a bad guy.

I don't think the children have anything to do with this one way or another. During a documentary about Frederik's 50th birthday, I recall seeing scenes of him calling his kids (maybe more than once) when he was traveling, just like many fathers do today. I'm sure his kids can call him, too.

And, one look at the way he guides Christian and supports him in public shows that he is very devoted and close to the kids.

Not criticizing you, Sun Lion, but this description made me laugh out loud. Turbo Prince, the action man, suddenly takes an interest in art and requires an emergency art expert? I believe that...sure...

You’re right kalnel.

I was trying so hard to just present the details of what has come out without casting any particular slant, but yes, to need an emergency art expert. I’ve had a laugh too now at how that sounds.

It’s good to lighten up a bit.

These last few days have been, well depressing is too strong a word and downer is too flippant, but something like that.

I had some laughs this morning watching a half hour comedy musical documentary about Mary and Frederik that was broadcast here in Australia a few days ago. (Some timing … completely unrelated, but some timing.)

I found it very funny, but perhaps you have to be Australian to get the jokes about race-horses and Tim Tams etc.

A bit poignant at the end, but making a good point.

Although the performers look nothing like Mary and Frederik, and the portrayal of Queen Margarethe’s court is pure satire, I found it very clever.

Good songs … it is a musical as well as a documentary, as well as a comedy.

And good to see some old clips and photos of the early days of their courtship.

Nice to see Mary’s “Starmakers” mentor Teresa Page is still around too.

Any Australians who want to check it out, it’s on ABC iView catch-up tv, “Australian Epic” episode 2.

And Frederik’s action man persona is touched upon by the commentators too.

And as a Tasmanian myself, the song about Tasmanians was too funny.

Last edited:
unfortunately the Mail on line, has now put lots of pictures up and our string the pot !!! .....

unfortunately the Mail on line, has now put lots of pictures up and our string the pot !!! .....

There are no new pics or info. Just the Lecturas ones we've been discussing for a week.

You’re right kalnel.

I was trying so hard to just present the details of what has come out without casting any particular slant, but yes, to need an emergency art expert. I’ve had a laugh too now at how that sounds.

It’s good to lighten up a bit.

These last few days have been, well depressing is too strong a word and downer is too flippant, but something like that.

I had some laughs this morning watching a half hour comedy musical documentary about Mary and Frederik that was broadcast here in Australia a few days ago. (Some timing … completely unrelated, but some timing.)

I found it very funny, but perhaps you have to be Australian to get the jokes about race-horses and Tim Tams etc.

A bit poignant at the end, but making a good point.

Although the performers look nothing like Mary and Frederik, and the portrayal of Queen Margarethe’s court is pure satire, I found it very clever.

Good songs … it is a musical as well as a documentary, as well as a comedy.

And good to see some old clips and photos of the early days of their courtship.

Nice to see Mary’s “Starmakers” mentor Teresa Page is still around too.

Any Australians who want to check it out, it’s on ABC iView catch-up tv, “Australian Epic” episode 2.

And Frederik’s action man persona is touched upon by the commentators too.

And as a Tasmanian myself, the song about Tasmanians was too funny.

I appreciate your take on this, Sun Lion. Definitely good to lighten up on some of this stuff! I wish I could see that video. I found it online, but even after I created an account, I couldn't see it. (Probably doesn't work in my region.)

Being tracked by paparazzi must be odd, but to have people making satirical musicals about you must be mind-blowing. :lol:

I appreciate your take on this, Sun Lion. Definitely good to lighten up on some of this stuff! I wish I could see that video. I found it online, but even after I created an account, I couldn't see it. (Probably doesn't work in my region.)

Being tracked by paparazzi must be odd, but to have people making satirical musicals about you must be mind-blowing. :lol:

Shame you can’t watch it kalnel.

At first I thought it was clever and funny, but I’ve watched it a few times now … and with the closed captions on as some of the singing is almost too fast to catch … and I actually think it’s brilliant.

One of the commentators makes remarks towards the end that no-one knows what Mary’s life is actually like.

So strange to watch this … made before the developments of the last week or so … and see people, another of the young female speakers also, saying Mary’s life is not something all women would actually want if they thought past the fairytale surface.

I thinks the other episodes are probably just as good - Amber Heard and Johnny Depp smuggling their dogs into Australia and getting into trouble with our government for breaking our quarantine laws, an Aussie who won an Olympic gold medal for ice-skating because all the other, better, competitors fell down.

All true stories of Australia.

Maybe it will get put up on youtube at some point, hope so, it is worth checking out.

A thought: not sure if this is a thing in Europe, but here in Canada a lot of high end apartment blocks have guest suites for rent - nightly, weekly whatever. Is it possible that Frederik actually stayed in another apartment and not that of Casanova on the night they were seen entering the block separately?

As no one actually saw them enter the same suite, this is a possibility and makes the reported scene (still bad optics) unlikely.

A thought: not sure if this is a thing in Europe, but here in Canada a lot of high end apartment blocks have guest suites for rent - nightly, weekly whatever. Is it possible that Frederik actually stayed in another apartment and not that of Casanova on the night they were seen entering the block separately?

As no one actually saw them enter the same suite, this is a possibility and makes the reported scene (still bad optics) unlikely.

Yes, that is possible. Not only for high end apartments. Ordinary housing complexes, including social housing, will often have a couple of rooms for rent, for guests of residents.

Could be, but that still leaves the problem of bad optics, especially since he apparently had a hotel room and switched to Casanova's place on the last night. I imagine the Danish embassy could have put him up for a night somewhere, too.

I had the same thought!

Here is the latest curve ball.
https://informalia-eleconomista-es....uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

This is from El Economista (this is one of the publications originally posted here that was considered reliable iirc)

Anyway - the latest is that per their article: They claim that Queen Margrethe was able to stop the photos of Federico and Genoveva in exchange for a "commercial transaction.

Part of the article says that: Now, new information suggests that Queen Margrethe was aware of the existence of these photos for weeks and that she had it in her power to stop them. In this sense, Federico Jiménez Losantos put on the table this Wednesday the "growing rumor of an attempted commercial transaction of a quarter of a million euros that Margrethe did not want to pay, not because of lack of money, but because she does not want to."

In addition, another quote in the article: In this regard, the journalist draws a clear conclusion: "As Margrethe has made it clear that she is going to control her succession, it is evident that she does not want her children as successors. She has separated the youngest, and this story with Federico, do you think "If I wanted the heir I wouldn't have paid that money after negotiating it?"

The rest of the article rehashes the same narrative and throws in a mention of Joachim.

https://informalia-eleconomista-es....uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

This is from El Economista (this is one of the publications originally posted here that was considered reliable iirc)

Anyway - the latest is that per their article: They claim that Queen Margrethe was able to stop the photos of Federico and Genoveva in exchange for a "commercial transaction.

Part of the article says that: Now, new information suggests that Queen Margrethe was aware of the existence of these photos for weeks and that she had it in her power to stop them. In this sense, Federico Jiménez Losantos put on the table this Wednesday the "growing rumor of an attempted commercial transaction of a quarter of a million euros that Margrethe did not want to pay, not because of lack of money, but because she does not want to."

In addition, another quote in the article: In this regard, the journalist draws a clear conclusion: "As Margrethe has made it clear that she is going to control her succession, it is evident that she does not want her children as successors. She has separated the youngest, and this story with Federico, do you think "If I wanted the heir I wouldn't have paid that money after negotiating it?"

The rest of the article rehashes the same narrative and throws in a mention of Joachim.

I really have to laugh at that curveball. So these photographers/journalist basically tried to blackmail the DRF into paying out a huge some of money and when they refused they decided to wait until the opportune moment for the story to explode and are now trying to make up even more drama with a succession crisis?!

Does an attempted extortion make this whole story more credible?!?

This article makes no sense to me!

This gist is that an attempt was made to blackmail QMII for (a pretty modest) sum. And then when she refuse (if she ever did), it's her fault if there is a succession issue in DK.

It's like shooting someone during an armed robbery and blaming the victim: She could just have given me what I wanted.

And who in their right mind admits blackmail?!? I thought that is sort of illegal. And wouldn't the Spanish police intervene? After all this is an attempted blackmail of a foreign head of state, who is just about to be the host of in incoming state visit - from Spain?

I simply don't understand anything at all!

It's not extortion... but if the Danish Royal Family knew that those photos existed, and it is likely that at least Frederik knew because Genoveva was informed by a journalist friend that they were in the market, they could have called the agency and buy the photos to remove them from the market.

This is a relatively common practice especially when people have money, and it makes sense for them to pay the price of the photos if they are harmful to their image.

In Spain, the case of Hola magazine is well known. For decades they protected members of royalty and some famous people. If there were photos that compromised them, the magazine bought them and kept them in a drawer, and in exchange they had exclusive interviews and reports.

Last edited:

If that story is true, which I have my doubts, it is clearly attempted extortion and blackmail. And if there is any truth, I am glad QMII and the Danish court told the journalist where to go!

It's not extortion... but if the Danish Royal Family knew that those photos existed, and it is likely that at least Frederik knew because Genoveva was informed by a journalist friend that they were in the market, they could have called the agency and buy the photos to remove them from the market.

This is a relatively common practice especially when people have money, and it makes sense for them to pay the price of the photos if they are harmful to their image.

In Spain, the case of Hola magazine is well known. For decades they protected members of royalty and some famous people. If there were photos that compromised them, the magazine bought them and kept them in a drawer, and in exchange they had exclusive interviews and reports.

We won't publish certain photos, but in exchange we want a (very lucrative) exclusive with you. - That isn't extortion?!?
Well, in DK that's something you can very well end up in prison for. And you can kiss your presscard goodbye.

Why should the DRF give in to blackmail? The photos would still be there and blackmailers have a tendency to keep blackmailing.
And perhaps the DRF said: Bring it on! Because they knew there was nothing in this story.
No wonder there were so many odd inconsistencies.

And a quarter of a million €... - That's peanuts.

- So to sum up:
We have boring photos of Frederik with a women, that doesn't prove anything.
The Spanish press can't even agree on how long Frederik was in Spain.
All sorts of weird allegations were flying around, all unsubstantiated.
And now the photographers/agencies/magazines whatever admit to a pathetic extortion attempt. - Against a foreign head of state, right before a Spanish state visit! - Are they mad? Or suicidal? Or just stupid?
Can anyone, please, give me just one good reason why I should lend just an iota of credibility to these... camera-stalkers?
Can we believe anything at all? - Are the times stamps falsified? Is the eye-witness accounts of these... photographers... to be believed? Have they left something out?
Why haven't they been arrested?

If I sound angry, it's because I am!
The integrity of the Crown Prince of my country has been - what I see - maliciously cast in doubt.

Bah!

We won't publish certain photos, but in exchange we want a (very lucrative) exclusive with you.

I think it is not necessary to create conspiracy theories about extortion.

It is an agreement that pleases both parties, because those members of royalty or celebrities could know in advance that the photos existed and decide if they wanted to stop them or not, or to publish them in a friendly media and not in one that was to treat the topic badly. For example, Lady Di preferred to appear in careful photographs in Hello than not to be attacked by the English tabloids.

When the Royal Houses agree to pose for the media or grant interviews to some media and no to other media according to their interests or friendships... they act in a similar way. They work with media outlets that they know will take care of them and in exchange those media outlets make money.

In this case it is different, the only thing that is being said is that those photos were in an agency and had a price, and that just as Lecturas magazine paid it, the Danish Royal House could have paid it if they had wanted.

Supply and demand, whoever pays the price has them.

Last edited:
No, it is an agreement that pleases both parties, because those members of royalty or celebrities could know in advance that the photos existed and decide if they wanted to stop them or not, or to publish them in a friendly media and not in one that was to treat the topic badly. For example, Lady Di preferred to appear in careful photographs in Hello than not to be attacked by the English tabloids.

In this case it is different, the only thing that is being said is that those photos were in an agency and had a price, and that just as Lecturas magazine paid it, the Danish Royal House could have paid it if they had wanted.

Supply and demand, whoever pays the price has them.

Please both parties? Yes, the extortionist, but not the victim.

Okay, let's take this to day to day perspective.
Let's assume you are married, I don't know if you are.

I take photos of your husband with another woman and if carefully selected and presented by me, they can strongly imply that your husband is unfaithful.
I then contact you and say I have these here photos but you can have them, if your teenage daughter mow my lawn in her bikini the next ten Sundays.
Otherwise I will post the photos - and my version of the event - on the neighborhood Facebook page.

Supply and demand you know, and you (and your daughter) can just pay the price, right? If you choose not to adhere to my modest and not at all distasteful request it's your own fault that I post them on social media and half your neighbors now think your husband is having an affair.

Sorry, I may be in the wrong here, but I flatly refuse to blame victims of blackmail.

It would be nice to have substantiated facts about anything, rather than just rumors. I very much get the feeling the DRF is just hoping this will all go away.

Considering more embarrassing royal stories have appeared in other countries, I'm not sure why Queen Margrethe should have paid anything for relatively innocuous photos. If there's nothing, there's nothing. If there's something... it's still not dignified to respond in reaction. Especially in money.

Says everything that needs to be said about this story. It'd be laughable if not for the potential damaging consequences it might have for everyone involved.

Absolutely obscene that the Spanish media don't seem to think it enough to attempt to defame M&F, Casanova and their families – now they've taken on QMII too. Blackmailing her and then, when that doesn't work, framing her as a bad mother as if it wouldn't have looked even more damaging if she had tried to conceal pictures that prove absolutely nothing aside from the fact that Frederik has spent time with an acquaintance.

Also, didn't Lecturas editor-in-chief claim they refused to sell the pictures because they were of "highest public relevance"? Yet another example of these stories circulating in the Spanish press never adding up.

Makes you wonder about the origin of this because it sure seems very targeted. Who stands to gain from these stories?

I think it is not necessary to create conspiracy theories about extortion (...)

Not necessary to create conspiracy theories about extortion but apparently perfectly necessary for the Spanish media to create defaming conspiracy theories about an extramarital affair... Oh, the irony.

Please both parties? Yes, the extortionist, but not the victim.

Okay, let's take this to day to day perspective.
Let's assume you are married, I don't know if you are.

I take photos of your husband with another woman and if carefully selected and presented by me, they can strongly imply that your husband is unfaithful.
I then contact you and say I have these here photos but you can have them, if your teenage daughter mow my lawn in her bikini the next ten Sundays.
Otherwise I will post the photos - and my version of the event - on the neighborhood Facebook page.

Supply and demand you know, and you (and your daughter) can just pay the price, right? If you choose not to adhere to my modest and not at all distasteful request it's your own fault that I post them on social media and half your neighbors now think your husband is having an affair.

Sorry, I may be in the wrong here, but I flatly refuse to blame victims of blackmail.
I agree with your reasoning here and am equally appalled that there are those that see this unsuccessful attempt at blackmail as a legitimate transactional commercial overture. ?

Do you really think that when Frederik and Mary posed for Vogue magazine and showed their love and their wonderful family that it wasn't a business relationship? They (I think) did not make money for it, but the report served to sell their image, and the magazine made money from it.

The Danish Royal Family often gives interviews to the media, so they are also part of that game. They do it because they are interested in projecting an image and having related media to take care of them. But do they treat all media equally? Or are there private media outlets that are constantly favored by the Royal Family over others?

Lecturas magazine was not the owner of the images, the owner of the images is the GTRES press agency, and they put those photos on the market that have been purchased by Lecturas magazine and other foreign media. The price of the photos is set by the market, the importance of the news and the number of international media that may be interested.

Important people and famous people remove photos from the market when they are interested, they only need two things: friendly journalists to inform them of the existence of those photographs and money to pay for it.

You are making this story crazy and inventing an extortion that has never existed, simply because NO ONE has offered the photographs to the Danish Royal House... but from the first moment it was said that Genoveva asked the friend who informed her of the existence of the photos, what was the price of the photos.

The conclusion of the Spanish press, knowing how the business works, is that if the Danish Royal House had had any interest, they would have had the possibility of avoiding this scandal.

Paparazzi take photos, press agencies market them and magazines buy them. If you are a public figure and you are unlucky or irresponsible enough to be caught by a paparazzi in a situation that is damaging to your image, you have two options: try to negotiate with them so that these images are not published or endure the scandal. And many, if they have the financial means to do so, prefer to remove the photos.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion this "extortion" story is just some drivel.

But it shows, that this affair wont go away as fast as some might hope... A new twist here, a leak there, it will stay!

I honestly think that the DRF, at least Frederik, knew that the pictures existed but he didnt care about any impact. There is so much favourable press at home that is fed by the nice family pictures, why worry about anything?
I believe that at some point there will be cracks in the facade, especially when QMII will be gone, and the easy life of Frederik and keeping the press in check will be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom