Future Edinburgh weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t know whether even that would be acceptable to the Royal Family if, for instance it was known that Uncle Charles had facilitated a royal particular like St George’s for them to marry in and perhaps made food and flora and some beverages available from the royal estates for the reception.

However, if Louise or James were acting as purely private citizens and wanted to host an after wedding party for friends afterwards, care of a magazine contribution then that might be OK. Whether any magazines would be interested in two siblings who may well have been immersed in private life and careers for ten years or more, is debatable though.

I think you mean 'royal peculiar'

Yes I did! Thanks Iluvbertie. I’ll fix it, my brain’s not working this morning.

Unless they marry into nobility, another royalty or marries a world famous person - i don’t expect big weddings for either of them....

A wedding at Windsor Castle (St George’s Chapel) or St James’ Palace (Chapel Royal or Queen’s Chapel) is likely unless they choose to marry where their ”choosen one” comes from....

Or maybe St Anne’s Church, the local parish church in Bagshot (as they are grown up at nearby Bagshot Park)

Weddings of the grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II will attract newspaper-journalists for many years to come - but the chances for a televised service is likely below zero...

Last edited:
Has a royal wedding occurred before at St. Anne's Church?

It looks as if the church was only built in Prince Arthur's time, and his three children, even Patricia who married a "commoner", all had big weddings in grander venues, so no.

Bagshot Park actually has a chapel inside - not certain if it is still consecrated.
We know very little about the Wessex children - while we know Louise is religious, anything might happen in 5 - 20 years. James while all we know is he likes cars and PlayStation. So anything there - he is 13.

Has a royal wedding occurred before at St. Anne's Church?

Not likely as Bagshot Park wasn’t occupied by any members of the Royal Family from The Duke of Connaught’s death in 1942, until The Earl and Countess of Wessex moved in...

And back in the lifetime of The Duke of Connaught, even the weddings of minor royals was often grand affairs at Westminster or St George’s or on that scale...

Last edited:
Maybe Louise would want to get married at St. George's Chapel due to her parents marrying there.

James may marry someone who would like to be married in their own church.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Queen and Prince Charles have discussed the future options of the Wessex children such as weddings, their childrens' christenings, etc. That they would have comparable opportunities their other cousins have had as grandchildren of the monarch.

It appears to me, that William is close to the Wessex family and that may give them more options than having an uncle as king. I could be completely wrong on this - as this is a family that has a strong belief hierarchy/pecking order.

Now that Lady Louise has reached marriageable age, we may start to speculate how the future weddings of her and her brother will look like.

Their parents are devoted to their duties and seem to protect the private lives of their children, wanting for them to leave as "normal" fife as possible in their situation.

Do you think the glamour of their respective weddings may depend from who will be King at that moments - still their uncle Charles (more) or already their cousin William? (less) - I am 99% sure that Queen Elizabeth will be already at the other side with her beloved Philip and from there they will both look at their grandchildren's happiness:angel:?.

Will their wedding be fully televised (like that of Princess Eugenie) or there will be just a short glimpse of the young couple entering and leaving the church? (like for example Peter and Autumn)?

I personally doubt they will both hide the date and place of their weddings and the public will get to know after the fact :flowers:

And how will the public know about the official engagements? Will hear at TV during the news broadcast or just will read at special pages? (Peerage News).
The Court officially announced the engagements of all their cousins because they were grandchildren of the reigning monarch, titled or not - will it be the same with Louise and James?
Will there be interviews with the couples? Or maybe the TV recognizes that they are so far in succession, that the public will not be interested?

I doubt they will be obliged to marry at the St. George's Chaple in Windsor and may choose whatever church to marry (like Zara and Mike) but will they be obliged to marry in the UK?

Could Louise and her potential sister-in-law wear the same tiara at their respective weddings (for example the one Sophie wore) or future James' wife will be obliged to wear the more glamorous one as a future Countess of Wessex (and maybe Duchess of Edinburgh)?

I'm intersted in your opinions :flowers:

MERCY!!! She's a baby. This is 2021 not 1721. A royal young lady doesn't need to even think about marriage for another 10 years. I think Sophie said Louise was looking forward to University. That's what she (and we) should be thinking about . . . University and then some sort of career that interests her.

I think Louise has grown into a very pretty, very sophisticated young woman. Her parents should be proud. (And I hope the tabloid/rags leave her alone.)

MERCY!!! She's a baby. This is 2021 not 1721. A royal young lady doesn't need to even think about marriage for another 10 years. I think Sophie said Louise was looking forward to University. That's what she (and we) should be thinking about . . . University and then some sort of career that interests her.

Lady Louise will not need to think about marriage ever, but Biri's post did not say or imply that she did (the post was set out as "speculation").

Even in 1721, marriage was not always a necessity for princesses. Two of the adult daughters of King George II never married.

I am not sure I agree that royal watchers should be thinking about Lady Louise's potential university education, but many do have thoughts and there is a thread for that topic: Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn

Last edited:
Now it came to my mind that he and his sister will arouse interest no matter what as grandchildren of the longest-reigning British monarch..

Mine too. I could see their weddings being somewhere in between those of Princess Margaret’s children and Princess Eugenie’s (no chance of anything that big after the reaction to it and the fact that they will not be grandchildren of the monarch at the time of their respective weddings, but as small as they like if that is their wish.) Sadly David and Sarah never met their grandfather and were already at birth the niece and nephew of the sovereign. I think that the public would be on board with something in between the two given the popularity of their parents and there’s no reason to see that changing; they are doing exactly what they have always done and quietly getting on with the job, Edward hasn’t complained about not being DoE even though it was expected.

There will be slightly more attention on James’s I think, if it is made public, due to his being in line for a title (Unless of course the DoE were recreated to go to elder child and then she would inherit that while Earl of Wessex would be James’s in time.) Likely James’s will be the last wedding of a grandchild of Elizabeth II too, so it’ll be one of those moments where people reflect.

I would like to see Lady Louise and James have weddings like Lady Sarah Chatto: A church wedding, photographs taken of arrival and departure, and Royals attending.

I would like to see Lady Louise and James have weddings like Lady Sarah Chatto: A church wedding, photographs taken of arrival and departure, and Royals attending.

And later - official pictures!

Unlikely - we might be told of the engagements - and maybe a note in the Times. Nothing else.

I’m seeing weddings that might cause a faint ripple of interest and some photos in the Press, largely due to members of the royal family who may turn up. Probably guests would include William and Kate and children. Charlotte could even be a teenage bridesmaid to Louise. It will be a church wedding I think but I can’t see St George’s. Perhaps in London. Louise’s wedding will cause a bit more interest than James imo as we’ve seen more of her growing up than we have her brother.

Last edited:
Unlikely - we might be told of the engagements - and maybe a note in the Times. Nothing else.

Highly unlikely considering the Sovereign and BRF will attend. It will most likely follow the example set by other minor and extended members of the BRF i.e. Zara, Peter Phillips, Princess Beatrice, Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Gabrielle Windsor, etc.. There will be attention of it in the press and most likely an official photo released.

*I don't include Princess Eugenie cause her wedding did not follow the previous precedents and that didn't go down well with the public.

First - newly wedded spouses and their respective parents.

Second - previous set + the Royal Couple (whichever couple it will be), Best Man, Maid of Honour, Flower Girls and Page Boys.

I believe, that the marriages of the children of the Earl and Countess of Wessex may be in the chapel of Windsor Castle. We will probably be able to see the guests arriving and later official photos.

I doubt there will be much publicity for these weddings and since they’re not really party of “society” like the York girls or known for hobnobbing with gentry and nobility (or continental royalty and nobility) we may not see much of those people at the wedding. Probably just a bit of announcements and few photos that’s it.

James seems rather shy and introverted. I could see him choosing to marry at home (assuming his bride agreed). Bagshot Park supposedly has a gorgeous chapel, at least according to a soldier who lived there in the '80s when it was occupied by the Army Chaplains and was given the use of the chapel for his own wedding: https://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/bpark/index.shtml

James seems rather shy and introverted. I could see him choosing to marry at home (assuming his bride agreed). Bagshot Park supposedly has a gorgeous chapel, at least according to a soldier who lived there in the '80s when it was occupied by the Army Chaplains and was given the use of the chapel for his own wedding: https://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/bpark/index.shtml

James is so young that I don't think we can yet tell how he will be as an adult. There are lots of shy and quiet teens who open up more later on. And like you said it would depend on his bride too :D

And now we know his bride at the moment of the wedding will receive the title of Countess of Wessex ;)

And now we know his bride at the moment of the wedding will receive the title of Countess of Wessex ;)

Not really. James is just using the title by courtesy. He wont be Earl of wessex in his own right till Edward goes

I think James's bride would have the courtesy title of (name), Countess of Wessex even if his father were still alive. For example, Sylvana, Countess of St Andrews is the wife of George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (a courtesy title of the eldest son of the Duke of Kent).

Not really. James is just using the title by courtesy. He wont be Earl of wessex in his own right till Edward goes

A courtesy title is still a title. Biri's post is fine.

I think James's bride would have the courtesy title of (name), Countess of Wessex even if his father were still alive. For example, Sylvana, Countess of St Andrews is the wife of George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (a courtesy title of the eldest son of the Duke of Kent).

The courtesy titles of George and Sylvana are Earl and Countess of St Andrews. Sylvana's courtesy title would change from Countess of St Andrews to Sylvana, Countess of St Andrews if her husband died or divorced her before he succeeded as Duke of Kent.

Quoted from Debrett's:

Earl by Courtesy

Although the bearer of the title earl by courtesy enjoys none of the privileges of a peer, he is addressed as such with the following exceptions:
- an earl by courtesy is never accorded the formal style of 'The Right Hon' unless he also happens to be a privy counsellor
- an earl by courtesy is not addressed as 'The' in correspondence. This is restricted to actual peers.

Thanks for the amendment, I didn't know Sylvana could be called the Countess of St Andrews without her name in front as it's a courtesy title. :flowers:

What are some of the possible churches where Lady Louise could have her wedding?

Thanks for the amendment, I didn't know Sylvana could be called the Countess of St Andrews without her name in front as it's a courtesy title. :flowers:

This principle applies in the same way to courtesy titles as to the peers (and spouses) themselves. They are known by their titles. Names are only added if that person is no longer married to the rightful user of that title but still carries the tirle in her name.

As far as I know, using hte first name is an indication that the wife is divorced or widowed.

Back
Top Bottom