Danish (State) Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Topic to discuss possible future state visits by Frederik and Mary. What could be your first state visit? Will they follow the example of the current monarchs of the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain and will the first state visit to a monarchy be to Japan?

Topic to discuss possible future state visits by Frederik and Mary. What could be your first state visit? Will they follow the example of the current monarchs of the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain and will the first state visit to a monarchy be to Japan?
I think their first State Visit will go to either Sweden or Norway

I think their first State Visit will go to either Sweden or Norway

Yes it is very likely. I think Sweden, Norway and Japan should be the first state visits to other monarchies.
I think that in the first years of their reign they should also visit Spain and Holland and perhaps the United Kingdom.

Did Queen Ingrid attend State Visits to Denmark in her old days ?.

Did Queen Ingrid attend State Visits to Denmark in her old days ?.

I know she attended the State Banquet when King Albert II and Queen Paola came on a State Visit in 1995.

I presume that King Friedrich and Queen Mary of Denmark will make state visits to Sweden; Germany; Norway; Finland; Iceland; Estonia; Latvia; Lithuania; Poland; the Netherlands; and the UK. They would make state visits to the USA; China; and India as well at some times. I am guessing here.

I guess that they will make a tour to the Scandinavian neighbours and will host a State Visit for the newly-elected Presidents of Finland and Iceland

Last edited:
King Carl Gustav made 5 outgoing state visists before he had an incomming. They were Norway-Finland-Denmark-Iceland-UK. First incomming was Norway and Finland

King Harald made his first state visists to Denmark-Sweden-Iceland-Finland-UK, at the same time he had incomming from the four other Nordic countries

Margrethe made visists to all the four nordic countries in 1973 before the UK and Germany in 1974

First incomming visists were
1979 UK
1977 Finland
1975 Sweden
1974 Norway and yougoslavien

So the natural would be the other nordic countries first when it comes to outgoing visists

I’m also guessing that the 4 first outgoing state visits will be to the other 4 nordic countries… I’m not guessing any particular order but as our king Carl XVI Gustaf will now be the doyen of the european monarch’s, it’s not impossible that the very first state visit will go to Sweden…

As Finland will also get a new Head of State this year, i would guess their first incoming state visit will be from there…

I’m also guessing that the 4 first outgoing state visits will be to the other 4 nordic countries… I’m not guessing any particular order but as our king Carl XVI Gustaf will now be the doyen of the european monarch’s, it’s not impossible that the very first state visit will go to Sweden…

As Finland will also get a new Head of State this year, i would guess their first incoming state visit will be from there…

Apparently Inceland will also get a new Head of State later this year

Apparently Inceland will also get a new Head of State later this year

True.
Europe Elects on X:
Iceland: Incumbent president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson (*), has announced that he is not running for re-election in Iceland’s 2024 Presidential elections.

Jóhannesson has been president since 2016. He has served two terms and consistently attains approval ratings over 90%.

The position of President in Iceland is largely ceremonial. The next election is scheduled for June 1st, 2024.

Last edited:
King Carl Gustav made 5 outgoing state visists before he had an incomming. They were Norway-Finland-Denmark-Iceland-UK. First incomming was Norway and Finland

King Harald made his first state visists to Denmark-Sweden-Iceland-Finland-UK, at the same time he had incomming from the four other Nordic countries

Margrethe made visists to all the four nordic countries in 1973 before the UK and Germany in 1974

First incomming visists were
1979 UK
1977 Finland
1975 Sweden
1974 Norway and yougoslavien

So the natural would be the other nordic countries first when it comes to outgoing visists

Could a state visit to the UK follow the state visits to the neighboring Scandinavian countries? There hasn’t been an incoming Danish state visit to the UK for quite some time now and, with new monarchs in both countries, the timing looks right for it.

Could a state visit to the UK follow the state visits to the neighboring Scandinavian countries? There hasn’t been an incoming Danish state visit to the UK for quite some time now and, with new monarchs in both countries, the timing looks right for it.

Everything is possible.

A state visit will I'm convinced go to at least the two other Nordic monarchies first. Then every other monarchy is open for either incoming or outgoing visit.
I think M&F will do an incoming and outgoing state visit for the next few years. One in the spring and one in the autumn.
During the summer it will be tours with Dannebrog and probably vacations on various residences, Gråsten being IMO almost a certainty to maintain the strong affiliation with Southern Jutland.

It's also likely that M&F will move to Fredensborg during the summer months, because that is very much appreciated by the locals and certainly Mary is very fond of the place.

I'm very curious to see how much they will use Marselisborg though.

Trend may remain a retreat for extended weekends.

(..)
Also - announced that Sweden and Norway will be first two Nordic countries visited. Plus, King Frederik will go to Poland from 1/31 to 2/1 for a business promotion that was long planned before the change of throne occurred.

Looking forward to seeing when they will travel to Greenland and Faroe Islands as well...most likely after the sailing season begins and weather permits I assume.

Last edited by a moderator:

It says the business promotion to Poland begins on January 31st, but Frederik and Mary will visits Sweden and Norway before that.
"In Denmark, there is a tradition that a new regent together with his spouse is the first to start travel activities with visits to neighboring countries. Thus, the plan is for the King and HM the Queen to visit Sweden and Norway first. "

That must be very soon:flowers:

Looking forward to what tiara Queen Mary will use for her first major galas on these visits. Hope she brings up tiaras we've never seen in ages.

Looking forward to what tiara Queen Mary will use for her first major galas on these visits. Hope she brings up tiaras we've never seen in ages.

Hoping for her wearing the Emerald or Pearl Poiré Parures

The wording is somewhat unclear. It states that the tradition is that the first visit of the monarch with spouse is to the neighboring countries. So, the first visits abroad of them together will be to Sweden and Norway, however, it seems that Frederik going on his pre-arranged trip to Poland does not negate that as Mary will not be joining him. So, my guess is that the visits to Sweden and Norway will take place after this visit to Poland.

Yes, the Poland visit will be next week. There isn't enough time for a state visit before that date. Perhaps the Poland visit was originally planned for the CP Couple. And that's why they give this explanation.

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like the Crown Prince Couple were going to Poland together, part of their usual business official promotions. Now that they are King and Queen, and respecting the tradition of visiting Sweden and Norway first, King Frederik will carry on the planned trip alone.

From the Ministry of Foreign affairs.
"It has been decided that the King will carry out the official business promotion to Poland, which has been prepared for a long time before the change of throne became known. Following this, the King and Queen will follow tradition together and carry out their first joint official journeys, which include will go to Nordic countries. More about the royal couple's first joint official trips will follow soon."

https://via.ritzau.dk/pressemeddele...en-311-til-den-22?publisherId=2012662&lang=da

I found this article minutes ago in Spain's El Pais related to the origin and rules of the Order used by King Frederik X for these major events:

Remember to mouse over the article, right click and scroll down to select Translate

https://elpais.com/smoda/moda/2024-...arca-llevan-colgado-en-sus-bandas-reales.html

Notable excerpts:

...the Order of the Elephant, which was born under the reign of Christian I of Denmark (who was also king of Norway and Sweden). In 1460, with the approval of the Pope, the monarch founded the "Community of the Mother of God", a society that was a medallion of the Virgin Mary and the Child Jesus hanging from a chain of elephants with towers.

...the elephant served as a reminder of that primitive Order without giving rise to the veneration of images. The reason for the choice of the elephant over other elements that were in the original insignia, such as the towers for example, is something that is unknown: the Danish Royal House specifies that no valid explanation can be found in the statutes or other available material as to why the animal took hold as a symbol.

...Until now, the Order of the Elephant had three particular days on which the insignia is worn on a link necklace: January 1, known as Knights' Day, April 16, which coincides with the date of birth of Queen Margrethe II; and, June 28, the birthday of Valdemar the Victorious (who was King of Denmark from November 12, 1202 until his death in 1241). Frederick and Mary of Denmark also symbolically wore it on the day they became kings.

I assume this Order will be part of the visits mentioned above to Poland, Norway and Sweeden

Yes, it looks like the Crown Prince Couple were going to Poland together, part of their usual business official promotions. Now that they are King and Queen, and respecting the tradition of visiting Sweden and Norway first, King Frederik will carry on the planned trip alone.

"It has been decided that the King will carry out the official business promotion to Poland, which has been prepared for a long time before the change of throne became known. Following this, the King and Queen will follow tradition together and carry out their first joint official journeys, which include will go to Nordic countries. More about the royal couple's first joint official trips will follow soon."

https://via.ritzau.dk/pressemeddele...en-311-til-den-22?publisherId=2012662&lang=da

That is also how i read it… That this was a working visit planned long in advance before the abdication/accession happened, wich Frederik will now carry out as King instead - while they will respect the tradition by letting the first joint visits (wich i interpret as Frederiks first outgoing state visits) go to Sweden and Norway.

Last edited:
I have wondered about that. I have also wondered if by this time Mary has picked up some French, especially if possibly the kids have taken that language up as a third language (I assume they speak English already).

i believe it was reported that mary doesn't speak french.

yes, i am excited about this too!

Do we know if the visits to Sweden and Norway will be official visits or state visits?

Hoping for her wearing the Emerald or Pearl Poiré Parures

Can't be the emeralds, as they cannot be taken abroad. So expect the Pearl Poire married parure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if the visits to Sweden and Norway will be official visits or state visits?

Can't be the emeralds, as they cannot be taken abroad. So expect the Pearl Poire married parure.

Or the floral aigrette as that is now also available for her

Back
Top Bottom