Titles/Royal Dukedoms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsnyder

City
Gansevoort
Country
United States
I remember reading that the Duke of Edinburgh title will revert to the Crown upon the death of the current duke (Prince Edward), and I was wondering: Will this be the way forward for all Royal Dukedoms? Where all will revert to the Crown after the son of a monarch dies and their senior subsidiary title will be inherited by their eldest son? It would seem to fit with King Charles' vision for a slimmed down monarchy.

Edinburgh is too grand of title to be given away as hereditary. It was created for the husband of a monarch and should be reserved for future use if a woman inherits the throne. Passing it to Edward was a nice thing to do but Charles could have put it in reserve instead to be used by a female monarch's husband. Still, nice gesture but I would have preferred Edward to get a hereditary upgrade with his own title.

It's done, and King Charles has the return receipt

Thanks! And...we're neighbors! :)

Edinburgh is too grand of title to be given away as hereditary. It was created for the husband of a monarch and should be reserved for future use if a woman inherits the throne. Passing it to Edward was a nice thing to do but Charles could have put it in reserve instead to be used by a female monarch's husband. Still, nice gesture but I would have preferred Edward to get a hereditary upgrade with his own title.

It's done, and King Charles has the return receipt

See these threads for news and information on the dukedom of Edinburgh:

Edinburgh and Wessex Titles
Titles of the Edinburgh Children
Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles
Questions about British Styles and Titles

Will this be the way forward for all Royal Dukedoms? Where all will revert to the Crown after the son of a monarch dies and their senior subsidiary title will be inherited by their eldest son? It would seem to fit with King Charles' vision for a slimmed down monarchy.

Nothing has been announced, briefed, or even unofficially leaked (as far as I know) in regard to plans for future royal peerages.

Note that a ducal title by itself does not confer any royal status or privileges.

The first(?) leak of plans to recreate Edinburgh as a dukedom for life suggested that this was due to Edinburgh being a "senior title", whatever that means, so perhaps King Charles would have been fine with a non-"senior" dukedom being hereditary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Edward-Princess-Charlotte-Queens-wishes.html

One source told The Mail on Sunday that the King might ask for the title to revert to the Crown after Edward dies rather than being passed to his son.

An insider said: 'The problem is you can have a situation where, in future, a senior title like Edinburgh, which is very important to the Union, is eventually held by someone far removed from the Throne.'​

It was created for the husband of a monarch and should be reserved for future use if a woman inherits the throne.

Only the second most recent creation of the dukedom of Edinburgh was for the husband of a monarch.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Edward-follows-father-Philips-footsteps.html

There will most likely not be another British queen regnant within the lifetime of anyone who is old enough to post on this forum, but if and by the time it occurs I hope women will no longer be denied equal rights, e.g., to share their titles with their spouses.

Last edited:
This interesting video documentary was made available a few days ago in YouTube. It's about the ancient kings of Wales and I couldn't find a thread, even using the search bar, to find where to share it and I didn't want to make a one video thread since the Forum Library is immense already.

The Royal Title that No One Can Remember

Sources (turn on captions): Bartrum, P.C. (1993). A Welsh Classical Dictionary: People in History and Legend up to about A.D. 1000. The National Library of Wales.

Chapters:
0:00 - The Untranslatable
0:34 - A Word
2:22 - The Monarchs
5:15 - Dr War
6:32 - Big Man
8:47 - Uh-Oh
11:14 - Hello
13:21 - Literary Gwledig-nificance
15:58 - Who Is? Who Isn't?

Back
Top Bottom