Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They pay HER not HIM. But that's a different discussion than him becoming a member of the imperial family.

But it is clear that their happiness is completely irrelevant to many of her family members and the people of Japan, which is a pity imho but probably a cultural issue.

Haven't followed this thread in detail, but don't think it's just a cultural issue.

When in the Netherlands several years ago P.Friso's fiancee (later wife) Mabel Wisse Smit was introduced, there were raised eyebrows in the public as well, because allegedly (don't know if it was ever confirmed), Mabel had mingled with people like Klaas Bruinsma (known criminal in the Netherlands) in her past, and was this a suitable association for a member of the royal family...
In the end P.Friso didn't ask consent for his marriage, and the marriage went ahead.

In that situation Mabel herself wasn't even accused of any shady activity (that i'm aware of), but if Mr.Komuro is, i can see why there would be big hesitations in getting a direct family connection with him.
They may be demoted to 'regular commoners' or not direct members of the royal family, but ofcourse they always will be related to the royal family, and who knows how influential they are 'behind the scenes'..

just my 2 cts..

They may be demoted to 'regular commoners' or not direct members of the royal family, but ofcourse they always will be related to the royal family, and who knows how influential they are 'behind the scenes'..

Exactly. If the wedding happens, yes she will be a commoner, but a commoner with a father and a brother who will be emperor someday. That's why I also never think the lump sum/money stuff is the biggest issue of the whole thing. If she is a princess from cadet branch which is far from the throne I doubt there will be that much controversy.

That's why

But in my understanding, he won't become a member of the imperial family. Rather the contrary, Mako will have to leave the imperial family. That is what makes it so much harder to understand: why do people want to control who she marries when the moment she marries she will be stripped of her titles and membership of the imperial family...

If he was to join the imperial family and their children would be in line to the imperial throne, I would understand the fuzz about all of it much better.

The Japanese imperial family means the God for all the Japanese nation. That's why we won't want this kind of people to be relatives of our imperial family.

Last edited:
The Japanese imperial family means the God for all the Japanese nation. That's why we won't want this kind of people to be relatives of our imperial family.

Welcome to the forum, FNAO10! :flowers:

(Just as a side note, you may wish to clarify that you do not mean that literally, as there is a misinterpretation amongst some Westerners who believe the imperial family is divine in a literal Western sense.)

Kei Komuro & his mother reputation, surely problem !

Komuro Family Mysterious family !!

Please see the attached picture. I described more in details, what happened
to Komuro family before !

4 persons committed suicide !

1. Mr T, Mrs K’s ex-Husband
Mr T committed suicide at a famous river side in Tokyo, Japan
Life insurance was covered. The beneficiary was Mrs K, around 1 milliion USD
She spent tremendous school fee for her son, Mr K.
All Japanese people are wondering if it was really suicide or something else…..
2. Mr T’s father also committed suicide a week after Mr T passed away.
Mrs K blamed a lot to Mr T’s father & mother. “ It is your own fault !! “, etc..
3. Mr T’s mother also passed away one year after Mr T committed suicide.
Mrs K still blamed a lot to her and Mr T’s mother suffered from a mental illness.
4. Mrs K had another lover, Mr A just after Mr T passed away.
Mr A’s ex-wife also passed away just before Mr T committed suicide.

Overall 4 persons around Mrs K & Mr K passed away only within a year.
I am pretty much sure that it is very odd and mysterious to see it.
I, very much appreciate if you would give me any opinion on this mysterious family such as:
/ What do you think if the same thing happens to your country’s Royal family ?
/ Do you think you can celebrate on the wedding between your country’s princess and
Mr K ?

/ What do you think would be the reaction to your country’s people if Mr K tries to
marry to one of the Princess in your country ?
/ Do any person in your country accept Mr K & Mrs K would be a part of Royal family
relatives ?

It really happens now to Japanese Imperial family and all Japanese people worry about one of the Princess who now tries to engage with Mr K.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind reply and look forward to receiving any opinion from you.

Attachments

• Mysterisou Komuro family.jpg
    Mysterisou Komuro family.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 40
sorry but to whom is this addressed? Japanese people? And just because several members of a family die in a short time does not make the family a bad one....

Thank you indeed for your prompt reply.
Honestly, almost Japanese people already know this fact. I would like to know any opinion from any other foreigners.
For example, if this matter happens to UK royal family, how do UK people feel about this ?

But it isn't happening in the BRF.. and I dont think it would happen. As for the Japanese - it is for the Japanese people and govt to decide whether they want to give Mako her "pay off"... Not much point in asking for opinions on a discussion board which has no power....

Okay, so just so i understand:

the fiancee (Kei Komuro) 's mother = Mrs K
Mrs K had an ex husband Mr T and after that a lover Mr A
Suicides by Mr T, Mr T's mother and father, and Mr A

and the royal link is that princess M is now engaged with fiancee KK

i think, to be honest, that the reaction here would be "wow, that family had a really tough time in the past", but i don't think it would be seen as a problem with the fiancee himself, especially as fiancee is not directly related to the people who committed suicide.

But what makes all the differences if there are rumours about these suicides, and especially rumours that would somehow point a finger at fiancee or his mother...

suicide and mental illness itself would, i think, not be an issue, esp. because it's not direct relations...

but maybe i missed the point?

True I think that there are issues with the man and his family but some tragic deaths of relatives is something that can happen to anyone... I can't see why it would make a man ineligible to marry a royal bride.. esp since once she marries she will be out of the IF anyway...

I think there would be articles in the press about it in the UK if the person was marrying a senior royal. But husbands of princesses are given a less hard time than women marrying princes in the UK because they aren't expected to become working royals.

For instance Edo Mapelli Mozzi's family dramas and tragedies were covered but not in the same way that every little detail of Kate Middleton's relatives were/are.

It also wouldn't stop the wedding even if the family and public had concerns or the family had tragedies in the past.

Then you have a case where Maxima's father wasn't allowed to be present at the wedding due to being part of a brutal regime but she was able to marry Willem-Alexander and maintain contact with him privately.

Every country is different. I can see why people are wary of giving the couple a large sum of money but it also doesn't seem like Princess Mako is going to give up her fiance so some sort of solution will have to be worked out eventually.

For example, if this matter happens to UK royal family, how do UK people feel about this ?

Welcome to the forum. :flowers:

Interesting question. The General Royal Discussion subforum may be a better forum for questions comparing royal families in general. As for the UK royal family specifically, I think reading the threads in the subforum on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan) will offer you some idea of the reactions that people in the UK would have received if they had claimed that Meghan Markle's mother killed her husband for life insurance money and if they had argued that Meghan Markle should not be allowed to marry Prince Harry because of that allegation.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a strictly legal perspective, she (and other born female members of the Imperial Family over the age of 15) can choose to secede from the Imperial Family and become a commoner even while unmarried, as long as the Imperial Household Council approves.

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/hourei-01.html

Last edited:
The ongoing speculative discussion about suicides in Kei Komuro's family has been deleted. Please refrain from further discussions and speculations about these topics, thank you.

Princess Mako's fiance-to-be to work in New York | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
NHK has learned that the man whose engagement with Japan's Princess Mako was postponed is to start his law career in the US state of New York.

Sources say Komuro Kei took a bar exam in the state this week and the result is due by mid-December.

They also say he has a prospect of working at a local law firm.

[...]

He will reportedly keep living in New York to prepare for his new career.

Good for him. He is going to be a lawyer. Perhaps part of his first paycheck will go to his mother's ex-fiance. If he does that, it may help in his bid to marry Princess Mako. Show the world (well, the Japanese public) that he is a man of his word and that he is going to be able to provide for the two of them.

Last edited:

Thank you for the update.

If "he has a prospect of working at a local law firm" indicates that he has yet to secure a position, then it is interesting that he has made the decision to remain abroad for the time being even without a guarantee of employment.

Am I remembering correctly that remaining in the United States was not originally part of the announced plan? If so, I wonder if the public's dislike has made him unemployable in Japan.

Show the world (well, the Japanese public) that he is a man of his word and that he is going to be able to provide for the two of them.

It is confusing to me that (some of) the public presumes Mako would be unable to support herself; other former princesses have continued or planned to continue to work a job after marriage.

I wonder whether he has much choice. I don't think 'they' want him back in Japan and prefer him to remain as far away as possible from Mako, so it has most likely been made clear to him that he is expected to stay in the States at least until he passed the bar.

Princess Mako's fiance to study in U.S. from summer: sources - The Mainichi

Kei is set to graduate in 2021 and will resume working at his current law firm on his return. He departs for the US in August. [Asahi]

:previous: This post from 2018 (thank you for your continual coverage, Prisma ?) answers my question. Indeed, the recent news is a departure from his original plan.

I wonder whether he has much choice. I don't think 'they' want him back in Japan and prefer him to remain as far away as possible from Mako, so it has most likely been made clear to him that he is expected to stay in the States at least until he passed the bar.

The latest reports (see post #525 above) are that he allegedly has plans to stay in the States even after he passes the bar, and launch his career as a lawyer there.

I'm not sure who you mean by "they"; his law firm must have (back then) been hopeful and confident that he would rejoin them, particularly if it is true that they were underwriting his legal studies (did that come from a reliable news source or only from unreliable gossip media?), so I wonder if they have rescinded the offer.

But if you meant members of the public, that appears to be true.

I'm not sure who you mean by "they"; his law firm must have (back then) been hopeful and confident that he would rejoin them, particularly if it is true that they were underwriting his legal studies (did that come from a reliable news source or only from unreliable gossip media?), so I wonder if they have rescinded the offer.

But if you meant members of the public, that appears to be true.

'They' seem to be a rather large group of people including Mako's parents, the Imperial Household, several press outlets and many members of the public. So, public and private pressure seems huge to 'just stay away'.

It is confusing to me that (some of) the public presumes Mako would be unable to support herself; other former princesses have continued or planned to continue to work a job after marriage.
I don't doubt Mako's ability to support herself. Not that I have a finger on the Japanese public's pulse on the situation, but one of the stumbling blocks towards Mako and Kei's marriage is his ability to bring home the bacon. Or, perhaps that's all in my head...

I don't doubt Mako's ability to support herself. Not that I have a finger on the Japanese public's pulse on the situation, but one of the stumbling blocks towards Mako and Kei's marriage is his ability to bring home the bacon. Or, perhaps that's all in my head...

I agree with you; given that even the mainstream media have discussed the issue, while I do not follow Japanese social media I would imagine the discussion is even more vociferous there.

Given the controversy surrounding Kei Komuro, it's understandable he'd choose to stay away although some may find his actions cowardly. However, it's possible he lost job at the Japanese law firm due to the negativity or the firm simply changed its mind about holding his job for 3 years or pandemic cuts.

Kei may already be working in New York contingent on his passing the NY bar exam.

Years ago, my friend's sister went to law school in CA, did 2 summer internships in Palo Alto and San Francisco, and received job offers at both firms prior to graduating. She accepted the offer from the SF law firm and had a start date for September. She took the CA bar exam in July which releases results in 12-14 weeks. She passed and kept her job. If she didn't pass the first time, the SF law school would allow her to continue to work, let her take ~4 weeks off to prepare for the next bar exam. If she didn't pass the second time, then she'd be let go. I don't know if this is common practice though.

Mako's working part-time and would probably quit after marriage. Allegedly, Sayako Kuroda eventually returned to an ornithology job but I can't remember the source right now. Takako Shimazu worked as a consultant at a department store in the 1970s and is on the board of directors of Prince Hotels chain. I think Ayako Moriya eventually quit her research job at Josai International University. Although she kept the honorary president role of Japan Sea Cadet Federation after marriage in 2018, Ayako switched to become honorary vice-president in 2019. She remains honorary patron of Japan-Canada Society.

ETA: Mako isn't likely to support herself on her current part-time job. I also don't know how Kei's US degrees would work for Japanese law firms... unless dealing with international/US law maybe? Staying and working abroad makes sense.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the greatly helpful answers! :flowers:

Given the controversy surrounding Kei Komuro, it's understandable he'd choose to stay away although some may find his actions cowardly. However, it's possible he lost job at the Japanese law firm due to the negativity or the firm simply changed its mind about holding his job for 3 years or pandemic cuts.

You make a good observation that some members of the public will inevitably criticize his decision to stay away and deem it to be running away from the problem.

Mako's working part-time and would probably quit after marriage. Allegedly, Sayako Kuroda eventually returned to an ornithology job but I can't remember the source right now. Takako Shimazu worked as a consultant at a department store in the 1970s and is on the board of directors of Prince Hotels chain. I think Ayako Moriya eventually quit her research job at Josai International University. Although she kept the honorary president role of Japan Sea Cadet Federation after marriage in 2018, Ayako switched to become honorary vice-president in 2019. She remains honorary patron of Japan-Canada Society.

ETA: Mako isn't likely to support herself on her current part-time job.

I am interested in what led Ayako and Sayako quit their jobs and why the more probable scenario is that Mako will quit her part-time job on marriage rather than transitioning to full-time. Could you explain further? Is it a cultural issue or is it rooted in the sensitivities surrounding the lifestyles of ex-royals?

I also don't know how Kei's US degrees would work for Japanese law firms... unless dealing with international/US law maybe? Staying and working abroad makes sense.

There was an article on the engagement stating that "Komuro, who is proficient in English, deals with translations of contracts and research on the practice of law at the firm." I wonder if that indicates he translated contracts between Japanese and foreign companies. For contracts with American companies I imagine a working knowledge of US law would be valuable.

Last edited:
Given the fact that Kei Komuro received an offer from one of NY law firm, he will start working at the firm maybe from the beginning of next year.
I think the biggest problem to keep a good life in NY is that:

/How much can he earn from the firm in the 1st / 2nd year, etc. ?
/ I assume that 1st year new lawyer at NY firm can not expect high salary. Seems he can receive maybe, 60~70,000USD as annual salary at the beginning.
/ The life in NY is very hard, rent apartment is expensive, any goods price is higher than those in other countries.
/ Besides, he must choose an apartment which has a certain safe security at the apartment because JP former princess lives together.

I wonder if Kei Komuro can maintain a certain good life in NY together with Mako.
Please let me know any opinion you may have, thank you.

Princess Mako to wed boyfriend Komuro this year | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Japan's princess Mako is expected to marry her college classmate Komuro Kei as early as the end of this year.

Sources close to the matter say the couple hope to register their marriage later this year. The move comes as Komuro now has the prospect of working at a law firm in the US state of New York.

The sources say none of the usual ceremonies leading up to a wedding of an Imperial family member, including the engagement, will be held. They say the princess has either declined to receive the amount of money to which she is entitled, or will donate it to a public organization.

[...]
ETA: Japan's Princess Mako, boyfriend Komuro to marry by yr-end, with no ceremony - The Mainichi (Updated)
Princess Mako, a niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, and her boyfriend Kei Komuro will marry by the year-end and may start a new life in the United States, but without holding the related ritual ceremonies in a rare decision, a government source said Wednesday.

[...]

The rites are an official engagement ceremony called "Nosai no Gi," in which the families of the betrothed exchange gifts, and a "Choken no Gi" ceremony to officially meet with the emperor and empress before marriage.

The Imperial Household Agency will consider whether it is possible under current rules not to offer the lump-sum payment, which would be financed by taxpayers' money, in accordance with the princess's request.

[...]

Last edited:
That sounds as if there is a solution. Probably nobody will be entirely happy but the couple will be able to live their lives together and that's about it as she'll leave the imperial family and apparently will also not receive any money. It's probably the hardest for Kako who seems to have a close bond with her sister.

Last edited:
That sounds as if there is a solution. Probably nobody will entirely happy but the couple will be able to live their lives together and that's about it as she'll leave the imperial family and apparently will also not receive any money. It's probably the hardest for Kako who seems to have a close bond with her sister.

Oh, goodness, that sounds a bit on the melodramatic side. It isn't as if she is being tossed out of the family to never have any contact with them again as the price for wedding the man she loves. They'll still remain in touch and see each other as often as possible while living on opposite sides of the world.

Oh, goodness, that sounds a bit on the melodramatic side. It isn't as if she is being tossed out of the family to never have any contact with them again as the price for wedding the man she loves. They'll still remain in touch and see each other as often as possible while living on opposite sides of the world.

I stated that she will have to leave the IMPERIAL family (which she was bound to do anyway but not on the same terms as other female members before her which is a clear and public sign of their disapproval). I am not sure how much personal contact there is between the official members of the family and those that have left in normal circumstances given that the imperial family members do have quite some restrictions - but there surely is some. However, in this case, her parents were the ones that have tried to break them up for years now. That will surely also have impacted their personal relationship.

Back
Top Bottom