Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OTOH if they dont get a very big amount, and he IS a gold digger he may take off - and that would do her good.

He's been dating her since 2012 and has had to watch his family dragged through the mud. Can you imagine what it's like to have your father's death publicly scrutinized and have your mother called a crazy cult member and your uncle accused of being a mob boss? The tabloid media drove Meghan Markle to suicidal thoughts after just a couple years; he's been dealing with this crap for years. All so he can marry a woman to get at some hundreds of thousands of dollars that are attached to her? Doesn't seem believable. Whatever else he is or isn't, he's not just a gold digger.

It seems very odd.. I've never heard of a RF that didn't have some private wealth.

I read on another thread that Hirohito, Emperor Showa, left a million yen to his children. A million yen now is worth under $10,000.

If Mako does receive the equivalent of a million dollars worth of yen and marries Kei, they can live out in the boonies (Perhaps north to Hokkaido or south to Okinawa where they can coast on her payoff? Or just in a quiet mountain town somewhere in between...).

It seems like any assets the JIF might have accumulated since the Meiji restoration (I doubt there was much if any) were definitely lost after WWII. It's always been their business to be respected and/or sacred, and the guardians of ancient things and traditions. Not rich.

I can easily believe they don't have money like some other royal families do. (Otoh, it's very hard to imagine royals that don't have sufficient investments.)

I think a lot of people have made the point Mako's princess severance money will not get you far (especially in Tokyo) without being supplemented by something else.

[…]

If Mako does receive the equivalent of a million dollars worth of yen and marries Kei, they can live out in the boonies (Perhaps north to Hokkaido or south to Okinawa where they can coast on her payoff? Or just in a quiet mountain town somewhere in between...).

Does it mean Komuro has already given up his dream to become a lawyer in NY as reported?

It seems like any assets the JIF might have accumulated since the Meiji restoration (I doubt there was much if any) were definitely lost after WWII. It's always been their business to be respected and/or sacred, and the guardians of ancient things and traditions. Not rich.

I can easily believe they don't have money like some other royal families do. (Otoh, it's very hard to imagine royals that don't have sufficient investments.)

I think a lot of people have made the point Mako's princess severance money will not get you far (especially in Tokyo) without being supplemented by something else.

Please refer to my #391 post, Prinsara. There I shared the government document to show JIF’s salary called “IF expense皇族費”.
It’s not so cheap, especially for Akishino family. Guard fee, activity fee, costume fee, etc. are all excluded from that. It is for their everyday’s livelihood.

They have no private fortune that they can use to help out their daughters? Even relatively poor RF's usually have private money...

It doesn’t mean that they have no private fortune, Denville.
They can buy things no matter how it costs, using their private fortune.
But if they want to give or donate their money to others, it is restricted by law. Because the origin of their money is tax money, it’s unfair that they give someone a large amount of money.

The limit of amount they can freely give others is regulated as 1.6 m yen, unless he is Emperor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it mean Komuro has already given up his dream to become a lawyer in NY as reported?

Hi Junjun,

I'm just speculating :whistling: on ways Mako and Kei can live on her pay-off. If they decide they just want to live quietly in a little town and where they won't be bothered (and where strangers stick out like a sore thumb), they can live on her million dollars worth of yen and settle his loan.

It's all in my imagination. They'll probably live in Tokyo, so they'll have to work.

Hi Junjun,

They'll probably live in Tokyo, so they'll have to work.

Thank you for valuable information, Happiness Always!
Then, Komuro gave up to become a lawyer, anyway.
Most part of Japanese people don’t know that yet.

However, if they know that, will it be allowed?
Because Japanese people feel a great sympathy to the victims of his alleged bullying, his 3 family members who died mysterious or miserable death, and the warmhearted ex-fiancé of Mrs.Komuro, who was upset being attacked by his 28-page document. So I’d recommend you to be careful in talking about this topic in Japan.

Last edited:
Hi Junjun,

Thank you for your advice as I was thinking of asking my young co-workers (19 - 25) instead of the older ones (late 30s to mid 50s) their take on Kei Komuro and his mother's ex...

I don't watch TV because I don't have one and unless I'm at the hair salon or some place where there are magazines, I don't know what's going on in the world of the Japanese press. (My kanji knowledge is very limited; I use Rikaichan to read kanji online) So, I get my IF information from here. (you and kikunohana :flowers:) I have no information to contribute about Kei Komuro. Who knows? He might end up practicing law in NY or somewhere in America. Hopefully things will get sorted soon, so Mako will smile (no more glaring at Uncle Naruhito! :lol:).

Hi Junjun,

Thank you for your advice as I was thinking of asking my young co-workers (19 - 25) instead of the older ones (late 30s to mid 50s) their take on Kei Komuro and his mother's ex...

I don't watch TV because I don't have one and unless I'm at the hair salon or some place where there are magazines, I don't know what's going on in the world of the Japanese press. (My kanji knowledge is very limited; I use Rikaichan to read kanji online) So, I get my IF information from here. (you and kikunohana :flowers:) I have no information to contribute about Kei Komuro. Who knows? He might end up practicing law in NY or somewhere in America. Hopefully things will get sorted soon, so Mako will smile (no more glaring at Uncle Naruhito! :lol:).

Oh sorry, I misunderstood, because there is very limited number of people who can say: “ They'll probably live in Tokyo, so they'll have to work.” in current Japan.

You do interview to your young co-workers, I respect you investing
that time and effort to study this topic.

It’s curious, however, I’d rather trust the results of opinion polls made by multiple media. Sorry, I don’t mean I don’t trust you, but they are supposed to be done in more scientific manners than that made personally.
As you know, the director of the signature-collection campaign was arrested in Japan yesterday, accused of faking the majority of signatures...

If you want to see the most well-balanced web inquiry in the questionee’s age, see that made by Bunshun Online I mentioned #426 post.

https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/45063

6.7% answered “Satisfied” with the Komuro document, with 80.9% “Not satisfied” and 12.3% “no opinion”.

Regarding the opinion about the marriage, 72.0% was “Opposite”, with 11.2% “Favor” and 16.8% “No Opinion”.

According to the story above, total of 1,370 answered, with 49% males and 51% females. It covered the age of 20-92.
The questions of the research were all opened in the story.

Nonetheless, your interview activity is pretty good. I look forward to seeing its result. GL!:flowers:

PS. Ah, don’t limit Komuro’s problems into the “financial problem”(i.e.debt). There are also the bullying allegation, suspected yakuza connection, illegal receipt of pension, three consecutive and mysterious deaths of his family members, and so on...
You have to include all these issues in your questionnaire when you conduct the interview.

Last edited:
PS. Ah, don’t limit Komuro’s problems into the “financial problem”(i.e.debt). There are also the bullying allegation, suspected yakuza connection, illegal receipt of pension, three consecutive and mysterious deaths of his family members, and so on...
You have to include all these issues in your questionnaire when you conduct the interview.

Have they (Naruhito, Fumihito, IHA) commented on the bullying allegation and all? For them, it's the debt that the obstacle, isn't it? Or, perhaps no reporter asked for a comment regarding the bullying and all?

Mako is determined to marry Kei, so I'd like to know what she thinks about him being a bully and all. No one asked her? Or have the press been muzzled?

Thank you for the link to the Yahoo Japan article. It's not likely but if Mako decides to heck with all this fuss and leaves the imperial register, will that make things easier? No need to please the IHA, her parents, uncle, the public... No goodbye money...

Have they (Naruhito, Fumihito, IHA) commented on the bullying allegation and all? For them, it's the debt that the obstacle, isn't it? Or, perhaps no reporter asked for a comment regarding the bullying and all?

Emperor Naruhito briefly said that:
“ I am aware that there are various opinions among the people regarding the marriage of Princess Mako of Akishino. I hope that Princess Mako will discuss this with her parents and, as Akishinomiya said, many people will be convinced and pleased.” in this February at his birthday press conference.

https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/page/kaiken/show/43

It was unprecedented that Emperor made a comment on his niece’s marriage.
And “various opinions among the people” was interpreted as indicating all the scandals reported ever on Komuro, including bullying, etc.
Total statement sounded like substantially stopping the marriage with the condition that “ many people will be convinced and pleased.” It”s a very very high hurdle to marry for Mako and Komuro.
People here was so pleased at this comment.

[…]
It's not likely but if Mako decides to heck with all this fuss and leaves the imperial register, will that make things easier? No need to please the IHA, her parents, uncle, the public... No goodbye money...

If it is true, the only way is to go abroad and live there with Komuro, isn’t it? You said “Probably they will live in Tokyo” before, if so, Mako would never be able to escape from all of that, would she?

And I feel, as long as she is still a princess for now, living on tax money, isn’t it irresponsible that she doesn’t think of the many poor counterparts of Komuro’s trouble, i.e. the victims of his alleged bullying, and the ex-fiancé of Mrs. Komuro, etc.?

But I admit that for some people, being responsible is something painful. Such people don’t deserve IF at all, I think. Emperor Naruhito and his family deserve it.

Last edited:
How are you doing, posters and readers?
(..)

OTOH, the coverage of Mako and Kei Komuro remains unfavorable.

One article reported that Akishino would start another 'physical examination' of Kei Komuro. He is reported to re-examine allegations such as Komuro's mother's relationship with a former yakuza, her relatives' continuous suicide, and pension fraud, and depending on the outcome, the marriage could be cancelled.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/cf51b0472f278ea0d609537ad224045ae7ff46df

In another story, Akishino is reported that he decided to completely cut off from Mako, having Mr. and Mrs. Komuro live in US and donate the lump sum to somewhere.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/e1f16ecffc5e5d8e1d293cdb8850090a9e50b04f

The former is "marriage cancellation" and the latter is "marriage", both of them have a tough tone.

So again, in my personal opinion,
If Komuro and Mako really want to get married, I think there are two conditions.

First, Mako should say, "I don't need a lump sum, I will donate or return it. I don't become the head of the female monarchy. After marriage, I will live in US and will not return to Japan. I will not receive any financial support from my parents in Japan. I will live on my own with Komuro."

In addition, Akishino also should declare that he would not provide any assistance to Mako and Komuro after marriage, and in order to guarantee that, he becomes an "Inner Court IF内廷皇族 " himself and has his familie's accounting managed as well as that of his brother and father. If he doesn't do that, allegations of a relationship with the yakuza will remain.

Given the turmoil that has involved the entire imperial family so far, I don't think this marriage will be allowed unless both parties make such concessions.
And if they make such a concession, some part of the Japanese public may have an atmosphere that allows this marriage.

In April, "# Mako-sama, please leave and get married" entered the Twitter trend in Japan for a while.

Why not leave it to Mako to decide what she does?

Biased and not necessarily accurate opinion here:

IMHO whenever I saw their news the only thing I immediately think of is, umm what do they want to do actually. TBH Mako isn't officially forbidden do anything, and if they really want they can still arrange the wedding despite the negative opinion from public/internet (correct me if I am wrong, but female members' marriage don't require approval from any parties, right?). They had engaged more than three years but there isn't any sign they (mostly IF/Akishino) really want to solve the issue (whether just make the marriage happen or do/change something to please/gain acceptance from the public or even just break off the engagement). They have to make a decision, keep postponing isn't a solution and the issue will just keep fermenting.

(Sometimes when I read their news I feel like I'm watching a drama with 65243357524583 episodes with no plot development, it's tiring.)

Biased and not necessarily accurate opinion here:

IMHO whenever I saw their news the only thing I immediately think of is, umm what do they want to do actually. TBH Mako isn't officially forbidden do anything, and if they really want they can still arrange the wedding despite the negative opinion from public/internet (correct me if I am wrong, but female members' marriage don't require approval from any parties, right?). They had engaged more than three years but there isn't any sign they (mostly IF/Akishino) really want to solve the issue (whether just make the marriage happen or do/change something to please/gain acceptance from the public or even just break off the engagement). They have to make a decision, keep postponing isn't a solution and the issue will just keep fermenting.

(Sometimes when I read their news I feel like I'm watching a drama with 65243357524583 episodes with no plot development, it's tiring.)

Hmm, ;)
let me summarize the situation from the beguinning...
It contains some speculations, but it is commonly believed in Japan.

First, their prosecutive engagement was announced in Sep. 2017.
(Notice: they are still ‘prosecutive fiancés’ so far, not official ones.)
The prosecutive engagement was permitted by Emperor of the time Akihito, current Emperor Emeritus.

Few months later, in the end of 2017, Komuro’s debt problem was reported,
and IHA postponed the procedure of official engagement.
As you said, there is no regulation to forbid or condition princess’s marriage, however it was unprecedented that princess’s prosecutive fiancé has scandal, they seemed to be afraid of criticism from the public.

Afterward, more and more scandals were reported on Komuro.

In summer of 2018, Komuro went to US to study law. Since his university’s fee was so expensive and it’s not common that a person who doesn’t have experience nor certification as a lawyer is admitted by the univ., there was speculations that Akishino and his wife sent him to US. They intended to make Mako to give up their marriage, according to the speculation, but the two didn’t give it up. They could chat on internet, it was unexpected by their parents. Nor, the public didn’t forget them, media kept reporting new scandals of Komuro. (At the same time, his English recording of interview appeared on the University’s website, and his paper got prize, but few people trusted them.)

It’s boring, yes. 2 years later, in Nov. 2020, Mako announced a comment that she is going to marry Komuro, it is necessary choice for them.
And in the end of the month, Akishino said he would allow them to be get married for freedom of marriage is secured by the constitution.

But the public’s response was so unfavorable. So, IHA Secretary said Komuro is required to give explanation on his financial problem in Dec.2020.
Emperor Naruhito commented on this issue and said he wish many people are convinced and satisfied in Feb. of 2021.

Komuro responded the request from IHAS in April 2021 with his 28-page document.
Backlash from the public was so strong that 4 days later, Komuro turned his mind and announced to pay settlement money to his counterpart of the financial problem. But until now, it was not implemented.

This is the whole story, but the lump-sum money, ongoing discussion on female monarchy and other large amount of tax money expected to be spent for this marriage made it complicated. It’s not sheer matter of freedom of marriage but also, matter of use of tax.

Besides, the sense of “clean or dirty” is key among Japanese people, especially for IF. People here cannot stand for having something dirty within IF, so IHA and Emperor regards this as a threat to entire IF.

In addition, It was Emperor Emeritus Akihito who permitted their prosecutive engagement, this is also headache. (..)it’s not certain, however, who can overturn the decision made by former Emperor? It is also a problem.

However, Akishino and IHA have never done their job, I agree with you.
People here speculate that Mako and Komuro might hold some secret of Akishino family.

Anyway,I personally recommend Mako to give up all tax money paid for her marriage and bring her personal savings to US to marry Komuro. She is supposed to have saved some 100m yen (some $ 0.92 m).

so if she can save that much money, how come her relatives can't find some way of passing on money to her? If they are only allowed to give small sums, why not all of them give a small sum?

so if she can save that much money, how come her relatives can't find some way of passing on money to her? If they are only allowed to give small sums, why not all of them give a small sum?

Well, it may be possible..
But people here would say they should earn their livelihood by themselves, as far as they get married despite people’s opposition.
“She should learn how it’s difficult for ordinary people to get daily food!” someone said, not me.;)
If Mako were ordinary family’s daughter, she would be supposed to do so.

Well, it may be possible..
But people here would say they should earn their livelihood by themselves, as far as they get married despite people’s opposition.
“She should learn how it’s difficult for ordinary people to get daily food!” someone said, not me.;)
If Mako were ordinary family’s daughter, she would be supposed to do so.

But she's not an ordinary family's daughter. Other princesses, I presume, got some money from the taxpayer, to leave Imperial life and start married life.. so she may reason that she should get the same... or at least that some arrangement should be made for her.. and she's hoping to get something before she leaves her Imperial life. If hte public dont want the marraige, its not really up to them. They can refuse her money, but it does not seem all that fair to me.. if other princesses got it. And surely its not beyond the wit of the Japanese govt to devise some kind of compromise that she gets some money but not too much.. or that the loss is made up from small donations from her family.

But she's not an ordinary family's daughter. Other princesses, I presume, got some money from the taxpayer, to leave Imperial life and start married life.. so she may reason that she should get the same... or at least that some arrangement should be made for her.. and she's hoping to get something before she leaves her Imperial life. If hte public dont want the marraige, its not really up to them. They can refuse her money, but it does not seem all that fair to me.. if other princesses got it. And surely its not beyond the wit of the Japanese govt to devise some kind of compromise that she gets some money but not too much.. or that the loss is made up from small donations from her family.

Do you think so?
You are so nice to Mako, but I feel it a little one-sided.
I was taught in my childhood that in western world, freedom and responsibility is the other sides of the same coin.
If she insist on her freedom, she should be responsible for the result of her choice, I think.
And about what is fair or not, there may be another way of thinking.
She has enjoyed privilege as a member of IF so far, no ordinary woman can save $0.92 m at her age. And other princesses have never chosen such a scandalous man.

In addition, Japanese people seriously fear the alleged yakuza connection, they are opposite to that IF benefits yakuza. Mako’s behavior is risking the whole IF.

I’m curious about what others think about this...

well Im perfectly indifferent to Mako. Its nothing to me whom she marries. So I dont know what you mean. I think its up to her to choose whom she marries, and if other princesses got money for leaving the IF, then I dont see why she should not do so. As I've said, I cant see why the IF and Govt can't agree on some kind of compromise as ot how much she gets....

well Im perfectly indifferent to Mako. Its nothing to me whom she marries. So I dont know what you mean. I think its up to her to choose whom she marries, and if other princesses got money for leaving the IF, then I dont see why she should not do so. As I've said, I cant see why the IF and Govt can't agree on some kind of compromise as ot how much she gets....

Well, you say “ Its nothing to me whom she marries.” But for Japanese people, it cannot be said so. People here fear that yakuza has access to IF’s wealth. If it were your country, could you be indifferent?

Last edited:
Well, you say “ Its nothing to me whom she marries.” But for Japanese people, it cannot be said so. People here fear that yakuza has access to IF’s wealth. If it were your country, can you be indifferent?

Then its up to Japanese people to work out some way of dealing with this.

I don't see why Mako has to promise to leave her country.

It appears she's making a terrible mistake in marriage. But that doesn't affect her citizenship or residency.

She hasn't committed a crime and she is a citizen of Japan. If the lump sum is to be withheld, so be it, (that's for the government to decide and make happen) but she's still a human being.

(And it would be very difficult for her fiance to secure a work visa in the U.S. Law firms don't waste money on first-year associates, the fiance doesn't appear to have any extraordinary qualifications or ability, and sponsorship costs $$ and time. But even if her fiance could secure a job/visa, Mako shouldn't have to agree to a self-imposed exile from Japan.)

I don't see why Mako has to promise to leave her country.

It appears she's making a terrible mistake in marriage. But that doesn't affect her citizenship or residency.

She hasn't committed a crime and she is a citizen of Japan. If the lump sum is to be withheld, so be it, (that's for the government to decide and make happen) but she's still a human being.

(And it would be very difficult for her fiance to secure a work visa in the U.S. Law firms don't waste money on first-year associates, the fiance doesn't appear to have any extraordinary qualifications or ability, and sponsorship costs $$ and time. But even if her fiance could secure a job/visa, Mako shouldn't have to agree to a self-imposed exile from Japan.)

I heard that it’s her hope, she is eager to live abroad, especially in NY.
And Komuro is her partner to escape from IF and her country.
That’s why she sticks to Komuro.
This is just a rumore, I don’t know if it’s true.

And as long as she is in Japan, guard fee will cost so expensive and Japanese government has to cover it.
Again, I think she should be responsible for her choice. It’s the compensation of the freedom.

Komuro's Graduation, Akihito's Dementia, and IHA Officials

It was reported that Komuro had decided to graduate from Fordham University School of Law. Wow congratulation Komuro.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/2e3f01c86401b95c4efa9f17e58c222c7fa6ad07

One of the qualifications for the NY State Bar Examination, which Mr. Komuro is aiming for, is the completion of law school. He is scheduled to take the bar examination to be held in July 2021.

Therefore, the next development is expected to be after the bar examination in July. Many media speculate that Komuro may return to Japan at this time.

He has never paid the settlement money he had announced to pay in April. Also, there are many scandals reported on him such as bullying to multiple victims, mysterious deaths of his family members, alleged yakuza connection of Mrs. Komuro and illegal receipt of pension.

(..)

Last edited:
(..) in the case of the Bunshun article on Komuro, two victims and the parent of a third victim came forward. I do not think we should silence victims, just because what they share might be unpleasant or uncomfortable, especially if there are witnesses and others who substantiate their claims. Again, Komuro himself has not denied the allegations.

As Princess Aiko and Masako know what it is like to be bullied as you and Savannahs have pointed out, I think they would also find the allegations quite concerning. In fact, Princess Aiko staying home from school due to bullying and Masako withdrawing from the public for years is very similar to what happened to the two victims of Komuro’s alleged bullying, especially the high school girl who did not leave her home for 2 years.

Well, let me put it that way: I´d be very surprised to hear that you support Princess Mako marrying Komuro. But feel free to tell me if you do. I like to be surprised.

I do believe if Komuro truly cared for Princess Mako and understood the weight of her position, he would have settled the loan matter a long time ago and be more proactive about communicating his plans with the IHA and Crown Prince Akishino. But as much as I do not care for Komuro, Princess Mako will not give up on him despite all of the revelations and allegations, so I think there is no use in prolonging the engagement and she should be allowed to live with the consequences of her choices, even if it could mean more scandal. And I doubt the Imperial House Economy Council is going to significantly reduce the lump sum if at all.

Maybe you would like to explain a bit further who Takeda is, what background he has and why he feels that he should participate in this conversation. Most members of the former collateral branches of the IF have refrained from publicly commenting on imperial matters. Takeda is an exception in this regard as you probably well know.
Those who have been following the imperial succession debate closely would recognize his name. But I suppose most people don´t.

Tsuneyasu Takeda is a right-winged political commentator who has also taught constitutional law at Keio University and famously supports male-only succession, Crown Prince Akishino and Prince Hisahito. Takeda is also the great-great-grandson of the Meiji Emperor and grandson of Prince Tsuneyoshi Takeda, and his family still exerts a considerable amount of influence due to their imperial connections, especially when you consider the immense privilege Tsunayasu’s father has been able to enjoy. Tsunayasu also frequently appears on radio and mainstream television to commentate on the Imperial Family due to his family background. But if you do not think his criticism of Komuro’s act of secretly recording others is valid or reflective of the wider reaction in Japan because of who he is or what he supports:

An IHA source told Josei Seven that the IHA was shocked by the secret recording and have been concerned that Komuro recorded the Akishino family when he and his mother visited them to discuss the loan matter: https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20210419_1652317.html/2

In an interview with Joshi Spa, lawyer and former journalist for Asahi Newspaper, Hiromasa Hasegawa, described both Komuro’s act and the content of the recording as problematic: https://joshi-spa.jp/1076415/2

In Shincho, Professor of Business Ethics and Senior Executive Officer for Strategic Partnership in the Royal Danish Embassy, Jun Kitajima, noted much of the public would find Komuro’s act shocking and as a result of both the public and IHA’s concerns that Komuro might have secretly recorded the Imperial Family, Josei Jishin approached Komuro’s lawyer and asked him point-blank if Komuro had a recording of any Imperial Family member.
Shincho: https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2021/04260602/?all=1&page=1
Josei Jishin: https://news.goo.ne.jp/article/jisin/nation/jisin-https_jisin.jp_p_1975639.html

But as I said before, I understand there may be a difference in cultural values that is making it difficult for us to see eye to eye on the recording issue, though it did take place in Japan, and I think we may just have to agree to disagree. For example, I find it surprising you find the Ototake story objectionable, while it was factual and concerned a public figure running for office, but believe the act of secretly recording two other people talking about their personal relationship is defensible, but perhaps the recording would not be considered unusual behavior or a violation of privacy in your community while reporting the infidelity of a public figure beginning a political campaign would.

BTW, someone in a prior post said that the Japanese government is paying for security for Kei Komuro’s mom and for himself in NYC. I highly, highly doubt that. Reputable sources, please.

You can actually see Mrs Komuro accompanied by SP (Security Police) in the May 13 2021 Josei Prime article I linked to in my post about Princess Mako and Komuro’s security costing taxpayers almost 3 million USD in their first year of marriage if they live in Japan.

The presence of Mrs Komuro’s security is often seen and mentioned in articles about her. IHA and police sources have talked about her personal SP as well because the situation is unusual and according to the IHA source, Mrs Komuro directly asked Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko for security for herself (Josei Seven). They were also told that Komuro would have security during his three years in New York, which former IHA member and imperial journalist Shinji Yamashita also said was likely, especially because of what happened in the international media (Josei Prime). If you remember, Fordham made that big announcement that the fiancé of Princess Mako was going to be attending their school before Komuro moved to New York, and then the IHA complained that Komuro was not Princess Mako’s fiancé and the New York Times wrote a huge story about it that was also reported by the Daily Mail and brought worldwide attention to Komuro’s presence in the US.

Some details about Komuro’s security for those who are interested:

-A police box, which is occupied 24/7 by a team of 10 Kanagawa police officers who work in shifts, was built in front of the Komuros’ apartment building to guard the building and the Komuros (Josei Prime)
-The Kanagawa police also rent one room in a nearby building to keep an eye on the Komuros’ home (Josei Seven)
-When Komuro goes out, he is accompanied by SP and when he goes into Tokyo, he is also guarded by metropolitan SP in addition to the other SP (Josei Seven)
-Mrs Komuro has her own separate SP (Josei Seven) (as I mentioned earlier, sometimes you can even see them in photos of Mrs Komuro)

My understanding is that the Japanese Imperial Family is much, much more controlled than western royal families. They have no money or property of their own or private source of income. Members who work are only allowed to have part time nonprofit jobs (Mako works at a museum part time). What is allowed in the day-to-day of their lives is severely limited by the Imperial Household bureaucracy. It sounds like an awful life.

The exact amount she gets is determined by the government Cabinet, but I believe the maximum possible is $1 million dollars US. So, we aren’t talking about a large amount of money. Especially considering that she was not allowed to pursue serious employment as a young adult. If she’d been allowed to begin a full time career after graduation, she would’ve earned a lot more than $1 million over the course of her career. I think $1 million is well earned; it’s her money and she should get it and use it for whatever she likes.

It would be helpful if you would please share what sources you are using to come up with your numbers and claims.

Princess Mako can receive up to 152.5 million yen or about 1.4 million USD for the lump sum (Asahi Newspaper). Past princesses have always received the maximum amount possible and experts seem to believe it will be the same for Princess Mako.

When she is well, Princess Mako works three times a week as a specially-appointed researcher at the University of Tokyo Museum and it is estimated that someone in her position would have started at 1,200 yen hour, which is about 11 USD an hour (Josei Prime). She began working there in April 2016. What she receives for her allowance far exceeds what she would earn as a full-time museum researcher, and she also does not have to worry about rent, transportation and personal expenses, which are covered separately from the allowance. The IHA indicates she received 91.5 million yen for her allowance this year (IHA pdf), which is about 84,000 USD (and both Josei Jishin and Josei Seven reported the same amount for 2018) and she does not have to pay income tax on that money. Her royal duties are also not Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM, like a regular job, and most Japanese her age, even in the same field, work longer hours than that. ICU and Leicester are good universities, but not prestigious, and it would have been much more difficult for her to land a position at the University of Tokyo Museum if not for her imperial status.

The lump sum has nothing to do with her duties and there is no minimum amount she can receive, just a maximum.

*I believe Junjun has been translating [FONT=&quot]皇族費[/FONT] as “expense,” but the English term the IHA uses is “allowance” and “personal expenses,” which are additional, are [FONT=&quot]内廷費[/FONT].
English page: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-about/seido/seido08.html
Japanese page: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/about/seido/seido08.html

Last edited:
Surely its up to the Japanese people and their IF to decide what to do? If Mako is going to marry him, then its her choice. if the Japanese tax payers dont want to give her a pay off, then its up to them to arrange that she gets none or only a small pay off.

Unfortunately, The Imperial House Economy Council decides, not the taxpayers even though it is their money.

The other princesses were all married within more or less one year of their engagement, but it has been 3+ years since Princess Mako and Komuro’s (non-)engagement was announced and the IHA has specified that Komuro is not Princess Mako’s fiancé officially. In other words, the public has already paid at least 3 times as much for a boyfriend on Princess Mako’s behalf than they have for the fiancés of past princesses.

In 2018, it was estimated that Komuro and his mother’s security had already cost taxpayers 150 million yen in 2 years (Josei Seven) and would cost 250 million yen including Komuro’s 3 years in New York (Josei Prime), so what taxpayers have had to pay for the Komuros so far more than exceeds the lump sum maximum (152.5 million yen).

The past fiancés also had stable employment, so there was far less uncertainty about their futures with the princesses than with Komuro and Princess Mako.

In public statements, both Crown Prince Akishino and the IHA have mentioned more than once a lack of communication from Princess Mako and Komuro about their plans. The Komuros still have yet to contact the ex-fiancé despite announcing a settlement would be paid to resolve the loan matter, and Komuro’s future employment is still a mystery as his representative explicitly stated that he is not necessarily trying to become a lawyer. So despite repeatedly expressing their desire to marry, the couple itself has been slow to take the next steps toward their marriage and they do not need the public’s permission to get married anyway.

[FONT=&quot]This is how a lot of taxpayers see the situation: [/FONT]How would you feel if your child/relative asked you to not only approve of her marriage to her unemployed boyfriend, but to also financially support him, after you have already been supporting him for years while he has been promising to get his act together, but not actually taking the steps to handle his situation?

That only works on the assumption that other members of the Imperial Family are interested in financially supporting Komuro if the couple marry. It is possible they do not want their money to go to him on account of his unstable work history and how he has handled his finances so far. He does not have much experience living within his means and has always relied on others financially. If the marriage fails, or the couple spends much more than they have, or more bad press about the Komuros comes out, financially supporting the marriage could also hurt their own reputations.

Kikunohana, your posts is very confusing to me. In which part of my writing is contradicting yours? I do agree that the majority is against kei. But Savannah is not asking about that, right? "Why do that person seems obsessed?" Something along those lines. And I said "imperial watcher" as the answer. Proof:

Afterall, people who aren't interested in royalties won't be in this forum.

To be frank, I'm glad you and junjun are here. For the longest time many people here thought that the uber-conservatives are the ONLY ones against kei and mako.(Aiko, abolitionists, etc) I have difficulties in trying to inform them since I'm not japanese and I prefer to lurk. I'm glad that I don't have to do anything extra.

Also it's refreshing to see Aiko Tenno faction here. I want you and junjun to show there's "a fight for succession" currently going on.
What you guys posts here about kei and akishino family are not new to me. But still, I'm looking forward to seeing it for the second time in English, keep it up. It would be better too if the faction of akishino/hisahito is also here (alas they don't seem to be the type to care about foreigners opinion, from what I see on twitter), while I'm watching those "rap battles" with Ramin djawadi's game of thrones soundtracks and popcorn.

Excuse me for butting in, as someone who regularly watches jp Twitter i think I might have an idea of why this person is obsessed with kei.
Most of the posts that I see about kei on Twitter are memes (like putting kei komuro on akishino family pictures, or jdrama relationship charts). Of course there are also news Retweet and quote, it is natural to give a commentary when there are some news. However, I also see people who keeps bringing up kei komuro even when its a slow news day, majority of them are imperial watchers. In general I could profile them who are obsessed with kei komuro into two types :

Type A : conservative/netouyo
1. Using kei komuro as a reason why admitting female-line and females as heirs are dangerous.
2. Constant doomposting on kei komuro's children as heirs/future emperors.
3. The 11 Pre war imperial branches >>> commoner men. Revive the old shinnoke into the imperial register/give them throne rights.

Type B : empress regnant Aiko faction. (This one is very confusing, I think there are lots of overlap with imperial/monarchy abolitionists groups who jump into this bandwagon)
1. Using kei komuro as a reason to reject prince Akishino's family.
2. Constant doomposting on prince Hisahito (and his family) as future emperor.
3. Posts how Princess Aiko is a "super princess" (I'm not making this up lol, a cartoonist/mangaka Yoshinori Kobayashi literally call her that).
4. "Empress Aiko, right now! Or republic!!"
5. Generally this type allow empress regnants and her non-paternal line offsprings (B-1), but I've seen comments like Aiko as last emperor (not continuing the monarchy, B-2).

This is why this "marriage" is difficult, many parties/factions using mako and kei for their own agendas.

I'm quite surprised that they have reach this place (..)

In your sentence (which I assume was edited by our moderator and not you because of the (…)) below your description of the two factions, you said you were surprised that “they” had reached this board and were “going after” Prisma. I assumed you referring to me with that part, though like the majority of the public which distrusts Komuro, I am not part of any extreme side. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I have not participated in the succession debate.

Last edited:
I dont really understand why this man and his family are getting security if he's not married to the Princess. I can only go by the UK as a place I know well, but I cant' understand a fiance (much less his family) having tax payer funded security....

Last edited:
You can actually see Mrs Komuro accompanied by SP (Security Police) in the May 13 2021 Josei Prime article I linked to in my post about Princess Mako and Komuro’s security costing taxpayers almost 3 million USD in their first year of marriage if they live in Japan.

The presence of Mrs Komuro’s security is often seen and mentioned in articles about her. IHA and police sources have talked about her personal SP as well because the situation is unusual and according to the IHA source, Mrs Komuro directly asked Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko for security for herself (Josei Seven). They were also told that Komuro would have security during his three years in New York, which former IHA member and imperial journalist Shinji Yamashita also said was likely, especially because of what happened in the international media (Josei Prime). If you remember, Fordham made that big announcement that the fiancé of Princess Mako was going to be attending their school before Komuro moved to New York, and then the IHA complained that Komuro was not Princess Mako’s fiancé and the New York Times wrote a huge story about it that was also reported by the Daily Mail and brought worldwide attention to Komuro’s presence in the US.

Some details about Komuro’s security for those who are interested:

-A police box, which is occupied 24/7 by a team of 10 Kanagawa police officers who work in shifts, was built in front of the Komuros’ apartment building to guard the building and the Komuros (Josei Prime)
-The Kanagawa police also rent one room in a nearby building to keep an eye on the Komuros’ home (Josei Seven)
-When Komuro goes out, he is accompanied by SP and when he goes into Tokyo, he is also guarded by metropolitan SP in addition to the other SP (Josei Seven)
-Mrs Komuro has her own separate SP (Josei Seven) (as I mentioned earlier, sometimes you can even see them in photos of Mrs Komuro)

It would be helpful if you would please share what sources you are using to come up with your numbers and claims.

Princess Mako can receive up to 152.5 million yen or about 1.4 million USD for the lump sum (Asahi Newspaper). Past princesses have always received the maximum amount possible and experts seem to believe it will be the same for Princess Mako.

When she is well, Princess Mako works three times a week as a specially-appointed researcher at the University of Tokyo Museum and it is estimated that someone in her position would have started at 1,200 yen hour, which is about 11 USD an hour (Josei Prime). She began working there in April 2016. What she receives for her allowance far exceeds what she would earn as a full-time museum researcher, and she also does not have to worry about rent, transportation and personal expenses, which are covered separately from the allowance. The IHA indicates she received 91.5 million yen for her allowance this year (IHA pdf), which is about 84,000 USD (and both Josei Jishin and Josei Seven reported the same amount for 2018) and she does not have to pay income tax on that money. Her royal duties are also not Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM, like a regular job, and most Japanese her age, even in the same field, work longer hours than that. ICU and Leicester are good universities, but not prestigious, and it would have been much more difficult for her to land a position at the University of Tokyo Museum if not for her imperial status.

The lump sum has nothing to do with her duties and there is no minimum amount she can receive, just a maximum.

*I believe Junjun has been translating [FONT=&quot]皇族費[/FONT] as “expense,” but the English term the IHA uses is “allowance” and “personal expenses,” which are additional, are [FONT=&quot]内廷費[/FONT].
English page: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-about/seido/seido08.html
Japanese page: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/about/seido/seido08.html

Thank you kikunohana for correcting the term.:flowers:
I should have referred to the English page.

Tsuneyasu Takeda is a right-winged political commentator who has also taught constitutional law at Keio University and famously supports male-only succession […]

Thank you for answering that question. See, what you give us here perfectly serves to illustrate what I meant when I said that you might be picking and choosing pieces from the wealth of information that is available to you as a Japanese native speaker, thereby creating a very specific image in our minds. You are doing this in a very skillful way and I want to use this example in order to show just once to everybody what I mean here.

All what you say about Takeda is in itself correct but would inevitably lead us in a direction of seeing him as an unbiased, well-meaning watcher of this whole Komuro story. You have omitted those parts that would make us suspect him of having an agenda here. I have a very hard time assuming that this is by accident.
So, I´d like to inform everybody who is reading this that Takeda published a book titled „The untold truth of the imperial family“ in which he advocates for maintaining the male bloodline in the imperial succession. In order to achieve that goal he strongly advocates for reinstating the former collateral branches that lost their imperial status after World War II (to whom he himself belongs): „Though we are now in different circumstances, each of us should try to find out what can be done, and have the resolve to return to royal status.“ Source
In short: the man wants to be a prince. (He has admittedly told a journalist that he „could not imagine“ to return to imperial status but then, what else could he say?)

his family still exerts a considerable amount of influence due to their imperial connections [...] Tsunayasu also frequently appears on radio and mainstream television to commentate on the Imperial Family due to his family background.
You make it sound here as if Takeda were some sort of spokesperson for his family or for the descendants of the collateral branches but, by his very own account, he is not. The heads of the former collateral branch families agreed in late 2004 to not speak out on the issue of imperial succession in public. Accordingly, they asked Takeda to refrain from writing his book. But he refused to comply with their wishes.

Takeda is constantly being labeled the great-great grandson of Emperor Meiji. He sure is, but only by one of Meiji´s daughters, that means by the female bloodline while his connection to the imperial family by the male bloodline dates back some 600 years or such. (I am fine with the female bloodline, of course, but apparently Takeda is not, that´s what all of this is about. I find it rather ironic that Takeda would on one hand make so much of his being descended from Emperor Meiji while at the same time dismissing the female bloodline that gives him this connection in the first place.) What is while not openly said but in a way tacitly implied when mentioning him being the great-great grandson of Emperor Meiji is that his opinion might in some way, shape or form give some indication on what the opinion of the imperial family on this matter might be. (They are, of course, not allowed to share it publicly.) This is, however, very far from the truth.
According to a Japanese poster in this forum, Takeda publicly expressed his admiration for a person who said that they would assassinate the prime minister if he introduced legislation that would make Princess Aiko the imperial heir. Source

It is one thing to hold an opinion, it is quite another to condone violence. In my view, Takeda is an extremist which means that he is in opposition to one of the core values of the imperial family.

Emperor Akihito has taken great pains throughout his reign to make it quite clear to the public that he does not support extremism, and Emperor Naruhito is following in his father´s footsteps in this regard.

his family still exerts a considerable amount of influence due to their imperial connections, especially when you consider the immense privilege Tsunayasu’s father has been able to enjoy.
As far as I am informed, Tsunekazu Takeda is under investigation for alleged bribery regarding the 2020 Olympics and stepped down as President of the Japanese Olympic Committee because of that. Just sayin´...

Tl, dr: Tsuneyasu Takeda is not a neutral or well-meaning watcher in this whole Komuro issue, quite to the contrary.
The Japanese government has what seems for the umpteenth time set up discussions on what to do in order to preserve the Japanese monarchy. Considering that there is one single heir in the next generation, there are basically two options: let the princesses after marriage in some way, shape or form remain part of the family so they can offer support in public duties and maybe even provide an heir if Hisahito should not be able to produce one. Or reinstate members of the former collateral branches. Basically these are the two options. And the majority of the public has never been in favour of reinstating the former royals. They will probably put it off another ten years, but if a decision has to be made, it will probably be in favour of the princesses. This scandal around Komuro must seem like a gift from heaven for Takeda. He must be passionately interested in fanning the flames here. If Mako married a man who would be welcome and popular with the public, Takeda´s chances of becoming a royal would irrevocably be toast.

Kikunohana, you have presented Takeda to us as an unbiased, valuable commenter on the issue, you have even doubled down on that after I had drawn your attention to the fact that most readers here would not be familiar with his name - although you must well know that he has a horse in this race himself. In this case I happen to have the information I need in order to know that what you write is potentially misleading and that you have informed us in a very partisan way.

As a result, I do not see any use in discussing the bullying accusations with you because after what I have read from you so far, I am sure that if there were any mitigating circumstances or if there were any reason to doubt what is presented to us you would not be willing to inform us about it.
That does not mean that I think that the accusations against Komuro are false. Maybe they are true and maybe Komuro is a horrible person. The reports do sound very concerning, I will give you that.
What keeps me somewhat from fully believing them is that, as I have said before, I am having some sort of a déjà vu here.
During the time when Empress Masako was the object of the media bullying there were also countless stories on why she was so useless, most of them from Japanese sources (only). When posters here tried to find excuses for her or other explanations for why she had done something seemingly bad, there was always another story and another story that backed up the allegations. And at some point there was always this same: „Maybe you Westerners do not understand why this is so bad but according to Japanese culture, this is simply unacceptable.“ In the case of the empress her defenders were in a relatively better position because there was quite a bit of information about her to be found in English as she had been somewhat famous even before her marriage.
In Komuro´s case we do not have that sort of information. We are mostly dependent on what we get from Japanese sources. But even if we choose to use the Google translator there is no certainty in that information either. The Japanese media system is in a very fundamental way different from the Western system, so it is impossible for us to reliably evaluate the information it gives us. I am certainly no expert on it but that much I know.

While I am very aware of the necessities of putting things into perspective and drawing my own conclusions when I read your contributions I´d like to repeat that I do appreciate the facts that you give us.

Unfortunately, The Imperial House Economy Council decides, not the taxpayers even though it is their money.
Well, that is how representative democracies usually work. (You might want to fix that link, it does not lead anywhere.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom