Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you blame Princess Mako? She want to marry her fiance, and now she has the opportunity to live outside the walls of the Imperial Family and all it will entails when her father and brother are Emperors. It's becoming abundantly clear that in the not-to-distant future, current Imperial Princesses will have to share the burden of royal duties and if there is a move to keep them as Princesses after marriage, they will be controlled, as well as their spouses and children. Clearly Mako can see this, hence her decision.

I believe this is the best outcome - no burden on the Japanese tax payer and Mako will have the happiness she wants.

Do you blame Princess Mako? She want to marry her fiance, and now she has the opportunity to live outside the walls of the Imperial Family and all it will entails when her father and brother are Emperors. It's becoming abundantly clear that in the not-to-distant future, current Imperial Princesses will have to share the burden of royal duties and if there is a move to keep them as Princesses after marriage, they will be controlled, as well as their spouses and children. Clearly Mako can see this, hence her decision.

I believe this is the best outcome - no burden on the Japanese tax payer and Mako will have the happiness she wants.

Not sure whom your post is addressed to. Is it a general you or one of the more recent posters.

To me it makes perfect sense although she has to give up quite a bit, she will also gain freedom to live her own life with the man of her choice. She will have some sense of what that might entail because of her aunt.

To be fair her sister will have to leave the imperial family someday if she marries in future too......but definitely her relationship with her parents must be somehow affected.

Good that they came up with a solution (or finally decided to accept a possible solution, idk) rather than postponed it again and again.

Well, there goes my speculation that when Princess Mako visits Komuro Kei in NYC, they will fly to Las Vegas and marry.

I don't know which city office they will hand in the paperwork, but the press will undoubtedly know, and will camp out as the couple go in and come out. If I know where, and I'm free, I'd like to go and take pictures of the happy couple (as I'm sure other non-paparazzi will, too). :flowers:

Of all the marriage rituals... I wonder about skipping Kashikodokoro-Koreiden-Shinden-ni-Essuru-no-Gi (Ceremony of Worshiping at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace)

I hope Princess Mako can informally bid farewell to Three Palace Sanctuaries and the Imperial family. Considering the timing, I'm guessing marriage in October or November. September seems too soon whereas December is busy and it's Princess Aiko's coming of age this year.
Mako's 30th birthday is October 23... will she be married by then?

Asahi reposted 100+ photos after Mako's marriage update

Japanese Princess Mako to Marry Boyfriend Komuro by Year-End | Nippon.com
... No marriage-related ceremonies for the couple, both 29, such as the "Nosai-no-Gi" official engagement ceremony, are expected to be held, the sources said. The couple plans to submit a notification of marriage to a municipality.

The princess, who will leave the Imperial Family after marriage, intends to decline to receive a lump-sum payment from the state to which she is entitled upon her departure from the family. This matter will be discussed by the Imperial Household Economy Council...

Princess Mako to marry boyfriend Komuro, move to New York | The Asahi Shimbun
... Due to continuing opposition to their relationship from the public and concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, no traditional imperial family ceremonies and rituals will be held in connection with the marriage, the sources said.

Mako, 29, will file the papers to register the marriage in Japan. After withdrawing herself from the imperial register, she will move to the United States, where Komuro currently resides, according to the sources...
I don't believe the pandemic would impact the rituals which aren't crowded events and the Imperial family has worshipped at the sanctuaries throughout the pandemic.

Last edited:
Assuming this is true, it's not particularly surprising. Especially considering that neither the Princess or her parents/IHA looked like they were going to back down.

Refusing or donating the lump sum from the government will hopefully go a long way in smoothing it over. I can understand the reluctance to give a large, taxpayer funded gift to someone who was involved in a financial dispute with a family member.

Mako was always going to leave the Imperial Family so that's no particularly dramatic although I suppose this means she wouldn't receive a "Kojo" title if the government decided to recruit former princesses to work after marriage.

I wish them the best and we'll see how it turns out.

So Princess Mako will become Komuro Mako. Nosy me is wondering whether she will apply for a passport and visa under her new name. I'm guessing that she already ordered a new hanko (did she have a Princess Mako hanko?). She'll have to let the city office know that she will be residing out of the country for a while. That will put a hold on her tax, national pension and national healthcare payments. (Here I am worried about her finances... :lol:)

That sounds as if there is a solution. Probably nobody will be entirely happy but the couple will be able to live their lives together and that's about it as she'll leave the imperial family and apparently will also not receive any money. It's probably the hardest for Kako who seems to have a close bond with her sister.

I find it unfair that she is being pressured (reasonable assumption?) to decline her dowry or donate it to a public organization. Neither she nor her fiancé seem to be personally wealthy and that money would give them a nice head start, especially in an expensive place like NYC. Besides, it might sound elitist, but I think she is reasonably entitled to compensation for having to leave" "her job" in the Imperial Family.

Assuming this is true, it's not particularly surprising. Especially considering that neither the Princess or her parents/IHA looked like they were going to back down.

[...] not on the same terms as other female members before her which is a clear and public sign of their disapproval). [...] However, in this case, her parents were the ones that have tried to break them up for years now. That will surely also have impacted their personal relationship.

I think it is pressure from large parts of the public which has tried to break up the couple. Reading the posts from kikunohana and Junjun earlier on in this thread will provide a sense of the strength of the public antipathy. The imperial family, the IHA, and the government gave no signs of disapproval until the first "scandal" reports began circulating in the gossip press and on social media in late 2017 to early 2018.

I didn't sense any reluctance from the couple to remain in/join the imperial family prior to the scandals. They were privately engaged since 2013, but their engagement was made public in 2017 at a moment when it would arguably be of the most assistance in gaining public support for female-headed imperial branches.

The chance of legislation keeping married daughters in the imperial family in the not-too-distant future still seems to be a long shot. With the princess's very frank statement last year that "we are irreplaceable to each other" and that their marriage was "necessary" for their happiness, I believe her decision stems from a simple and strong wish to begin her life together with Kei Komuro as soon as possible. The financial stability his law degree will provide offers a face-saving excuse for ending the four years of limbo.

That sounds as if there is a solution. Probably nobody will be entirely happy but the couple will be able to live their lives together and that's about it as she'll leave the imperial family and apparently will also not receive any money. It's probably the hardest for Kako who seems to have a close bond with her sister.

Oh, goodness, that sounds a bit on the melodramatic side. It isn't as if she is being tossed out of the family to never have any contact with them again as the price for wedding the man she loves. They'll still remain in touch and see each other as often as possible while living on opposite sides of the world.

I'm not sure I understand how "the hardest for Kako who seems to have a close bond with her sister" sounds like "she is being tossed out of the family to never have any contact with them again". I am sure the sisters will endeavor to maintain regular contact, but inevitably there will be a major decrease in contact when one sister moves from their shared house to the other side of the world with an 11-hour difference in timezones.

If they are close as they appear to be, it could indeed be a difficult adjustment. Particularly for Princess Mako, who has not previously lived in New York and is unlikely to have many established friendships in that area.

Given the fact that Kei Komuro received an offer from one of NY law firm, he will start working at the firm maybe from the beginning of next year.
I think the biggest problem to keep a good life in NY is that:

/How much can he earn from the firm in the 1st / 2nd year, etc. ?
/ I assume that 1st year new lawyer at NY firm can not expect high salary. Seems he can receive maybe, 60~70,000USD as annual salary at the beginning.
/ The life in NY is very hard, rent apartment is expensive, any goods price is higher than those in other countries.
/ Besides, he must choose an apartment which has a certain safe security at the apartment because JP former princess lives together.

I wonder if Kei Komuro can maintain a certain good life in NY together with Mako.
Please let me know any opinion you may have, thank you.

If I understand the reports correctly, it was disclosed that Kei Komuro was searching for employment in New York state, but not necessarily New York City, so perhaps he will be lucky enough to be able to settle in a less costly area? I wonder what Princess Mako's plans are for her new life in a foreign country. Will she undertake further education, work, or concentrate on raising children and charity work?

Last edited:
I wonder what Princess Mako's plans are for her new life in a foreign country. Will she undertake further education, work, or concentrate on raising children and charity work?

No idea either, but, if she wants to have a professional career in the US, further education and getting a US degree would certainly help her. Her background seems to be in art history and museum studies, which is not a bad career at all in NYC, but being an outsider means she will need to do some networking and be introduced to the right people.

On the other hand, full-time charity work/ philanthropy in my opinion is an option only for people who are already independently wealthy and/or have the "star power" to fundraise and attract attention to themselves. I don't think that is the case for Mako and Kei.

Last edited:
I do recall Princess Mako commencing a doctorate program in Japan. She may transfer that to the US and complete her studies and may, at the same time, continue as a research associate at a university.

At the end of the day, being a daughter and then sister of future emperors and the niece of the current Emperor will open her up to opportunities in the US that we could only dream of. If people think she'll have to "start from scratch" because she's an outsider, then you are being very naive.

I do recall Princess Mako commencing a doctorate program in Japan. She may transfer that to the US and complete her studies and may, at the same time, continue as a research associate at a university.

At the end of the day, being a daughter and then sister of future emperors and the niece of the current Emperor will open her up to opportunities in the US that we could only dream of. If people think she'll have to "start from scratch" because she's an outsider, then you are being very naive.

Exactly. She's hardly going to be without opportunities and offers. She'll likely want to prove herself as capable and deserving of whatever it is she winds up doing with her degrees but she will be in a far better position to start out than your standard museum studies and art history major from even the best US universities.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ko-boyfriend-komuro-to-marry-by-year-end.html

If the princess marries Komuro without traditional ceremonies, she would be the first female imperial family member to skip them in postwar Japan.

[...]

The government will consider whether it is legally possible under current rules not to offer the lump-sum payment, which would be financed by taxpayers' money, in accordance with the princess's unprecedented request, according to an Imperial Household Agency official.

The money is intended to maintain the dignity of former royal family members. The agency is also planning to create an opportunity for Princess Mako and Komuro to explain their resolve to the public, the official said.

[...]

People expressed mixed reactions to the news that the marriage between Princess Mako and Komuro will go ahead after a hiatus, suggesting the pair has failed to get as much public support as the princess's father Crown Prince Fumihito wished for.

"Princess Mako's feelings should be respected," said Yuko Chiba, 52, who was jogging around the Imperial Palace, a popular spot for joggers. But she added, "I want to hear Mr. Komuro explain (the money dispute) in public."

Rena Aoki, a 20-year-old university student, also said near the Imperial Palace, "Even though (Princess Mako) was born as a royal, she is a human being. I think it was suffocating to see much criticism (about her planned marriage with Komuro) online. I hope she will live her own life and be happy."

Meanwhile, university student Mayuri Goi, 19, said, "Maybe they should have announced their engagement after having established a basis for their livelihoods."

Will the plans for a public explanation, refusal of the dowry, and cancellation of ritual ceremonies win, if not public support, then at least public acquiescence? I would like to hear about the reactions to this development on Japanese forums, social media, etc.

I wonder what will happen if the government determines it is not legally possible not to offer the lump-sum payment.

Of all the marriage rituals... I wonder about skipping Kashikodokoro-Koreiden-Shinden-ni-Essuru-no-Gi (Ceremony of Worshiping at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace)

I hope Princess Mako can informally bid farewell to Three Palace Sanctuaries and the Imperial family. Considering the timing, I'm guessing marriage in October or November. September seems too soon whereas December is busy and it's Princess Aiko's coming of age this year.
Mako's 30th birthday is October 23... will she be married by then?

Asahi reposted 100+ photos after Mako's marriage update

Japanese Princess Mako to Marry Boyfriend Komuro by Year-End | Nippon.com

Princess Mako to marry boyfriend Komuro, move to New York | The Asahi Shimbun

I don't believe the pandemic would impact the rituals which aren't crowded events and the Imperial family has worshipped at the sanctuaries throughout the pandemic.

What do you foresee in regards to celebration of the actual marriage? Would a relatively inexpensive wedding reception for the two families and their friends be an option, or are Kayo and/or Kei Komuro so toxic in the court of public opinion that even that much would be damaging to the Akishinos?

Well, there goes my speculation that when Princess Mako visits Komuro Kei in NYC, they will fly to Las Vegas and marry.

I don't know which city office they will hand in the paperwork, but the press will undoubtedly know, and will camp out as the couple go in and come out. If I know where, and I'm free, I'd like to go and take pictures of the happy couple (as I'm sure other non-paparazzi will, too). :flowers:

Would the couple personally hand in the paperwork to the city office, or would an Imperial Household Agency official be deputized to deliver it as with previous marriages?

So Princess Mako will become Komuro Mako. Nosy me is wondering whether she will apply for a passport and visa under her new name. I'm guessing that she already ordered a new hanko (did she have a Princess Mako hanko?).[...]

Interesting question! Now I am wondering about it as well.

Exactly. She's hardly going to be without opportunities and offers. She'll likely want to prove herself as capable and deserving of whatever it is she winds up doing with her degrees but she will be in a far better position to start out than your standard museum studies and art history major from even the best US universities.

I don't recall anyone saying that she would be forced to start over without opportunities, but I think it is true that in a country with very little recognition of non-British royal families and with major differences of culture and language, she and her fiancé cannot anticipate the same opportunities they would have enjoyed in Japan had there been no scandals.

I guess I am part of the naive crowd then, but honestly I don't think being the niece of the Japanese Emperor is much of a head start in the US. The only royals that get any attention in the US are the British royals and Mako and Kei are nowhere near the same league, let's say, as Harry and Meghan, who can strike multimillion deals with Netflix and Spotify based on their name recognition and celebrity status alone.

Having said that, Mako seems to have good degrees and she did her coursework in English since her undergraduate studies at least, which means she must be very proficient in the language, even though, for native speakers of East Asian languages, even very competent L2 English speakers face some challenges in the US, first because their native languages are structurally very different from English and, second, and I mean it as a polite criticism of most Americans, because the average American dynamic range to understand foreign accents is very narrow.

I don't recall anyone saying that she would be forced to start over without opportunities, but I think it is true that in a country with very little recognition of non-British royal families and with major differences of culture and language, she and her fiancé cannot anticipate the same opportunities they would have enjoyed in Japan had there been no scandals.

Yes, I think that is exactly the point I was trying to make.

I must admit I don't know the circumstances of their case as much as other posters here, but my question to more knowledgeable people is: would Kei and Mako have decided to move out of Japan and start a new life in the US if it were not for all the scandals and controversy surrounding their marriage? Or, putting it in another way, was their decision to leave Japan motivated by personal career goals that they would normally have anyway (especially in the case of Kei and his law practice), or were they effectively forced to make that decision due to external circumstances? If the latter, I find it again very unfair, especially for Mako, which is why I think she is even more entitled to compensation than other normal Japanese princesses leaving the IF would be.

Last edited:
I don't think they intended to leave Japan initially, so, my guess is that this decision has been made to follow their desire to be allowed to get married and spend their lives together. Her father clearly wants her 'out of sight' (he preferred her to give up on Kei obviously but she is stubborn enough that that isn't happening - so, this is apparently the most acceptable alternative).

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ko-boyfriend-komuro-to-marry-by-year-end.html

[...]

Will the plans for a public explanation, refusal of the dowry, and cancellation of ritual ceremonies win, if not public support, then at least public acquiescence? I would like to hear about the reactions to this development on Japanese forums, social media, etc.

I wonder what will happen if the government determines it is not legally possible not to offer the lump-sum payment.

That's the hope, public acquiescence at minimum. Widespread public support was always going to be hard after the money dispute surfaced and there will be people who will never change their poor opinion of Kei or Kayo. Donation is an option if the government must offer the lump-sum payment.

Regarding the reactions from the Kyodo article and Japanese media… Some common comments on Yahoo news via Daily Shincho
- Selfish
- Stubborn
- Doubt Mako or Kei can support themselves. Both are called non-workers
- Assumption the Akishino family will pay for the couple
- Decline of Imperial prestige
- What about the money already spent on security for Komuro?
- What about Kayo's pension and worker's accident/compensation fraud allegations?
- How is Komuro paying for law school?
- [Since this is essentially eloping] why not leave immediately?
- Parents didn't rebuke / raise her properly

Jisin quickly ran a survey September 1-3. Overall, 70% of respondents oppose but 57% in the same generation (20s) as Mako, support her marriage.

IMO, skipping traditional rituals and declining the lump-sum payment seem to be the only path forward when Mako and Kei will not end their relationship. I am frustrated the Komuros haven't repaid or at least agreed to a payment plan with the ex-fiance but none of us are privy to the negotiations/bottleneck. Magazines made the dispute public and if the lump-sum is declined or donated, I think a public address would be unproductive. Multiple statements have not swayed public opinion. Why would speaking publicly be different?

Mako and Kei have had years to consider their life together: privately engaged since 2013 and finances being the focus for the last 4 years. I recall their engagement news was leaked so they may have planned to announce marriage plans later anyway. I understand the public's skepticism. They wish Mako to be happy and secure in her future… preferably with someone without family issues, financial trouble, or bullying allegations.

What do you foresee in regards to celebration of the actual marriage? Would a relatively inexpensive wedding reception for the two families and their friends be an option, or are Kayo and/or Kei Komuro so toxic in the court of public opinion that even that much would be damaging to the Akishinos?

Super low-key celebration. Perhaps dinner at the Akishino residence, out of public view. I can't imagine even a small banquet at a nice hotel and the pandemic limits attendees anyway.

Would the couple personally hand in the paperwork to the city office, or would an Imperial Household Agency official be deputized to deliver it as with previous marriages?

I would hope the someone at the IHA has the magnanimity to submit the paperwork and avoid the spectacle of Mako Komuro doing it herself. Despite misgivings and controversy, Princess Mako represented Japan for ~10 years taking on patronages, balancing official duties with her academic studies and part-time job, and official visits to several countries.

Agreed! Most Americans know very little about the Imperial family. I'm not sure how transferrable Mako's doctorate program at ICU would be to US institutions/programs. Her parents' academic connections could be useful.

I don't think they intended to leave Japan initially, so, my guess is that this decision has been made to follow their desire to be allowed to get married and spend their lives together. Her father clearly wants her 'out of sight' (he preferred her to give up on Kei obviously but she is stubborn enough that that isn't happening - so, this is apparently the most acceptable alternative).

When the NY law school plan was announced, I think the initial plan was for Kei to eventually return to the Japanese law firm where he'd been working as paralegal. 3 years is a long time though and it's probably best for the couple to be out of the public eye. Perhaps they can quietly return to Japan in a few years.

Last edited:
Well, thanks to other posters, I'm disappointed to find out that Princess Mako and Kei Komuro probably won't be walking into the city office to hand in their paperwork. It would have been nice to see them smiling and waving to everyone. People cheering for them and giving them flowers. Weelll, on the other hand, the world being what it is, I guess even if they were to do so, the IHA and the city office would've begged everyone to stay home and keep safe; wish the couple well from a masked and vaccinated distance.

As a member of the royal family, Princess Mako doesn't need a passport. I wonder whether she's already applied for one. Will she have to wait till she is officially no longer a royal and legally Mrs. Komuro? After she gets her passport, she'll have to apply for a visa. If she intends to work, she can't go on a tourist visa. Nosy me has questions galore. :D

:previous: All valid questions! I'm curious too. From my limited knowledge, solely based on my coworkers (non-Japanese but have work visas for US tech companies)... a person's work visa does not transfer to his/her spouse working in the US. Mako would have to find a job where the employer would sponsor/apply for her work visa. However, she can live in the US as Kei Komuro's spouse, assuming he's secured a job/work visa.

Yomuri reports Princess Mako has known or pursued the "no rituals/decline lump-sum payment" path for over 1.5 years. She met with the Imperial Household Agency counselor in late 2019 through early 2020, reiterating her intention to marry Kei Komuro including skipping the traditional ceremonies and declining lump-sum payment.

Japan Forward, conservative media Sankei Shimbun's English portal, opinions and suggestions on the matter...

What Princess Mako and Mr. Komuro Should do to Start Married Life with Full Blessings from the Japanese People | JAPAN Forward
[...]

Princess Mako did not bow to the strong headwinds of public opinion but stood firm in her determination to marry. By all accounts, she is also prepared to decline any offers of a lump-sum monetary offering from the Imperial Household Agency.

However, I can’t shake the impression that her decision prioritized her private life too much over her duties as a member of the Imperial Family.

The majority of the Japanese people, including myself, wish Princess Mako happiness. I am not against her marriage to Mr. Komuro, either. But we would like an explanation of the circumstances, including the financial troubles of the Komuro family. Such an effort would be the “visible” response that Prince Akishino said was necessary at a press conference last November.

[...] My wish for the couple is that they clarify everything at a press conference and leave for the United States with the full blessings from the Japanese people.
I don't believe "full blessings" are possible and what would be different about a press conference when a 28-page document isn't convincing? Also, why should Mako or any princess allow duties stop them from marrying? The Imperial system makes the women choose: unmarried princess or married commoner. Did Noriko Senge or Ayako Moriya do enough "duties" before marriage?

Last edited:
Japan's Princess Mako, boyfriend could wed in Oct. - Mainichi
Princess Mako, a niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, and her boyfriend Kei Komuro are looking to register their marriage in October, a government source said Wednesday, more than three years since their wedding was abruptly postponed following reports of a money dispute involving Komuro's mother.

After submitting the legal papers, the 29-year-old princess is expected to leave her imperial residence and prepare for the start of a new life in the United States, where Komuro, also 29, currently resides and is expected to start working at a law firm, according to the source.

The couple will both turn 30 in October.

[...]

It is still possible that she would pay a personal farewell visit to the emperor and Empress Masako, as well as former Emperor Akihito and former Empress Michiko.

[...]

Since Japanese imperial family members do not have passports, the princess needs to first make a family registry with Komuro as an ordinary citizen before applying for her passport.

While the Imperial Household Agency is arranging to register their marriage in October, it could be delayed to sometime in November depending on factors such as the coronavirus situation, according to the source.

A series of necessary procedures related to their marriage are expected to be concluded by a press conference to mark the Nov. 30 birthday of Crown Prince Fumihito, the father of Princess Mako and the emperor's younger brother, according to the source.

The Imperial Household Agency is studying the possibility of preparing an occasion for the couple to explain their feelings about the marriage.

[...]
A birthday press conference is usually 1-2 weeks before the birthday.

ETA: Sankei reports Princess Mako will live outside Akasaka Estate during the transition period (obtaining visa, etc.) between marriage and leaving for the US. Security and other factors are being considered.

Last edited:
So, Princess Mako is undergoing the rituals and legalities of becoming a commoner. Once that is done, she'll become Komuro Mako. As KM, she'll fill out the passport application then once she has her passport, she'll apply for entry to the U.S.
If she is able to be with Kei before the year is over, I'll be very impressed with how the paperwork and all are express handled.

I'm glad things are finally coming to a conclusion... Years of non-engagement and fierce devotion will culminate with the couple carving out a life in NYC.

So, Princess Mako is undergoing the rituals and legalities of becoming a commoner. Once that is done, she'll become Komuro Mako. As KM, she'll fill out the passport application then once she has her passport, she'll apply for entry to the U.S.
If she is able to be with Kei before the year is over, I'll be very impressed with how the paperwork and all are express handled.

I'm glad things are finally coming to a conclusion... Years of non-engagement and fierce devotion will culminate with the couple carving out a life in NYC.
Oh yes I am so happy for them, they have shown how much they love each other by waiting so long !

It is still possible that she would pay a personal farewell visit to the emperor and Empress Masako, as well as former Emperor Akihito and former Empress Michiko.

I hope she will be allowed the opportunity. Whatever they think of the actions of the Komuros, Mako remains their granddaughter/niece.

Since Japanese imperial family members do not have passports, the princess needs to first make a family registry with Komuro as an ordinary citizen before applying for her passport.

I wonder whether the "why not leave immediately?" critics will take notice. ;)

What is the normal timeframe for the processing of a passport and visa application?

While the Imperial Household Agency is arranging to register their marriage in October, it could be delayed to sometime in November depending on factors such as the coronavirus situation, according to the source.

Interesting, does it suggest there are plans for a wedding reception in Japan (presumably a small one behind closed doors), despite everything? I imagine a coronavirus situation is no barrier to having an Imperial Household Agency official submit the marriage registration to city hall.

Japan's Princess Mako, boyfriend could wed in Oct. - Mainichi

[...]

The Imperial Household Agency is studying the possibility of preparing an occasion for the couple to explain their feelings about the marriage.

A birthday press conference is usually 1-2 weeks before the birthday.

Like you, I have misgivings about the prospects of an "explanatory" press conference after multiple communiqués and a 28-page explanation from the same couple failed to win public support. Whether they attempt to explain or not, if they are not married by the princess's birthday, there will be awkwardness and pressure in store for her birthday statement and her father's birthday press meeting.

ETA: Sankei reports Princess Mako will live outside Akasaka Estate during the transition period (obtaining visa, etc.) between marriage and leaving for the US. Security and other factors are being considered.

It seems appropriate for her to live outside of the public estates during the transition period (simply a waiting period for the immigration paperwork, or will she be making other arrangements before departure?) as she will by then be a private citizen. I wonder if she will stay with (maternal) relatives or friends or live on her own.

Last edited:
Japan Princess Mako's boyfriend to return from US to ready for wedding - The Mainichi
Kei Komuro, the boyfriend of Japan's Princess Mako, plans to soon return to Japan from the United States to prepare for their marriage, sources familiar with the situation said Thursday, despite public unease over a money dispute involving his mother.

[...]

More details from NHK
- Kei is expected to return at end of September
- Imperial Household Agency is preparing for the marriage in October
- IHA is considering a press conference for the couple
- Kei is employed at a major law firm, continued employment is contingent on his passing the NY bar exam which he took in July
- He's the first Japanese lawyer hired at the law firm
- Work visa is complete and is ready to live locally

ETA: 14-day quarantine https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
... The Government of Japan makes no distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers in its COVID-related entry requirements. Vaccination status has no impact on an individual’s eligibility to travel to Japan, and Japan’s quarantine restrictions apply regardless of vaccination status.

The Government of Japan continues to enforce strict travel regulations that bar most foreigners from newly entering into Japan. Foreign tourists and non-resident foreign business travelers remain prohibited from entering Japan. Japanese citizens and foreign residents with a reentry permit are generally allowed to reenter Japan but must comply with strict pre- and post- travel testing requirements and quarantine upon arrival. Regardless of the international point of origin, all travelers entering Japan remain subject to a 14-day self-quarantine upon arrival ...

Last edited:
I was going to post the news of his return but found out Prisma had post it already:lol: so let me share another news:

Last night, before it's announced that he will return to Japan, Komuro is trending on Japan twitter (again) as Weekly Bunshun reported that Komuro's suspected of making false statement about his employment/career history when he's seeking jobs in NYC.

Weekly Bunshun obtained his resume, and he stated that he had his internship in California for Dentsu Americas (under Dentsu Group) during 2012/13 (which he was an exchange student in UCLA at that time). However, Dentsu's executive replied that they can't confirm it, and they don't have any office in California at that time, also they normally wouldn’t offer student internships. The executive suspected that Komuro might actually work for Dentsu's subcontractor in California, but he wrote Dentsu Americas in his record instead. Komuro also stated that he received the award for outstanding employee in two consecutive years when he worked for The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (now MUFG Bank), yet an ex-employee of the bank (who worked at the bank during that time as well) said if a newcomer won it twice in short period, it would be so memorable, but no one remembers it. Also, Komuro wrote that he received an internship offer from one of the US top 100 law firm last summer, but it was cancelled due to Covid-19. The spokesperson of the firm replied that it’s not true that some internship programs were cancelled as the programs were carried out online. Anyway, either it’a clerical mistake or intentional fraud, it may damage his own credibility.

(The report also mentioned that Komuro wrote Mako's name on his own resume, mentioned their relationship.....but well at least it isn't a false statement so let me stop here.)

https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b1660 (JP)
It's behind the paid wall though. The following article has summarised part of it.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d502e6ae0d429201a71eb3a84e3e8259abc60daa (JP)

BTW If you're interested, under the Yahoo article you can find some reactions/comments of the locals.

Last edited:
:flowers:Woo hoo, how exciting. KK is coming back, and as soon as he's out of quarantine, he and Princess Mako will tie the knot (or fill out all the paperwork and have a lackey deliver it to the appropriate office).

Hmmmm... Kei is doing some creative thinking and writing white lies on his resume.:whistling: Got to admire this young man... I wouldn't have the balls (if I were a guy ?) to do anything like that if I were him. I mean, the Japanese press is laser-focused on him and his mother. Anything and everything is blown up. Everyone has an opinion on what they do.

Lies on resume are grounds for termination. Bunshun can notify the law firm. Did Bunshun publish the resume?

Incredibly dumb/brazen especially when he's under heavy scrutiny as Happiness Always noted. About mentioning Mako... I'd guess on cover letter or resume's summary/objective section yet seems crazy. I doubt major firms know about Mako or care to find out. Such a resume would be rejected quickly, I suspect any hiring manager or recruiter would think "this applicant doesn't know how to write a resume. nope"

I'm anticipating Bunshun revealing Kei Komuro's employer soon.

ETA: English article is available

Princess Mako's boyfriend to return to Japan soon | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...] Princess Mako is expected to marry her college classmate by the yearend, and possibly before her 30th birthday on October 23.

Sources say arrangements are being made for Komuro to return to Japan by the end of September. [...]

The couple will likely announce their marriage in a news conference or other occasion after Komuro's coronavirus quarantine period is over.

Sources say a major law firm in the state of New York has agreed to hire Komuro as he is expected to pass the state's bar exam, which he took in July.

They say Komuro has already obtained a work visa and is expected to be the first Japanese lawyer to be hired by the law firm.

They say the couple will start their new life together in the United States and Komuro is now busy preparing their new home.

[...]

Last edited:
:previous: I think Bunshun is planning to do that too. Actually their article mentioned that they've sent inquiry to Komuro's lawyer/representative(?), but no reply receives before the deadline.

BTW a correction, it's said that he mentioned the relationship in the appendix/supplementary document, not in the resume itself (but not a big difference I guess? it's still strange).

Last edited:
I'm so nosy. I'd like to see Kei's cover letter and resume, and perhaps Bunshun could score an interview with the hiring manager. ("Oh yes! KK mentioning his relationship with Princess Mako definitely tipped the scale in his favor. We are honored to hire someone with royal connections." :D)

Once they have settled in their new life in NYC and been out of sight awhile, things will end up so that all this trouble leading up to finally pressing their hankos on the paperwork will be old news.

Last night, before it's announced that he will return to Japan, Komuro is trending on Japan twitter (again) as Weekly Bunshun reported that Komuro's suspected of making false statement about his employment/career history when he's seeking jobs in NYC.

Weekly Bunshun obtained his resume, and he stated that he had his internship in California for Dentsu Americas (under Dentsu Group) during 2012/13 (which he was an exchange student in UCLA at that time). However, Dentsu's executive replied that they can't confirm it, and they don't have any office in California at that time, also they normally wouldn’t offer student internships. The executive suspected that Komuro might actually work for Dentsu's subcontractor in California, but he wrote Dentsu Americas in his record instead. Komuro also stated that he received the award for outstanding employee in two consecutive years when he worked for The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (now MUFG Bank), yet an ex-employee of the bank (who worked at the bank during that time as well) said if a newcomer won it twice in short period, it would be so memorable, but no one remembers it. Also, Komuro wrote that he received an internship offer from one of the US top 100 law firm last summer, but it was cancelled due to Covid-19. The spokesperson of the firm replied that it’s not true that some internship programs were cancelled as the programs were carried out online. Anyway, either it’a clerical mistake or intentional fraud, it may damage his own credibility.

[...]

https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b1660 (JP)
It's behind the paid wall though. The following article has summarised part of it.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d502e6ae0d429201a71eb3a84e3e8259abc60daa (JP)

BTW If you're interested, under the Yahoo article you can find some reactions/comments of the locals.

Assuming Bunshun has not mistranslated or taken out of context the statements in the resume (I only mention this because I am not knowledgeable about the reliability of the magazine), that is indeed very damaging to Kei Komuro's credibility, and it further damages the credibility of any explanations he might offer at the potential press conference.

The internship cancellation issue is the one I find most concerning. It seems impossible for the claim on the resume and the statement from the law firm's spokesperson to coincide. Regarding the other two suspect claims on the resume, the facts are worrying, but it sounds as if there is at least a possibility that Kei was imprecisely referring to an internship with a subcontractor or that the bank's ex-employee misremembered or misinterpreted Kei's claim about the award. However, if that is the case, then it would only be right for his lawyer to establish the facts. (I am commenting from W.Y.CII's summary, so I apologize if I have missed something important in the comments.)

(The report also mentioned that Komuro wrote Mako's name on his own resume, mentioned their relationship.....but well at least it isn't a false statement so let me stop here.)

BTW a correction, it's said that he mentioned the relationship in the appendix/supplementary document, not in the resume itself (but not a big difference I guess? it's still strange).

I'm so nosy. I'd like to see Kei's cover letter and resume, and perhaps Bunshun could score an interview with the hiring manager. ("Oh yes! KK mentioning his relationship with Princess Mako definitely tipped the scale in his favor. We are honored to hire someone with royal connections." :D)

About mentioning Mako... I'd guess on cover letter or resume's summary/objective section yet seems crazy. I doubt major firms know about Mako or care to find out. Such a resume would be rejected quickly, I suspect any hiring manager or recruiter would think "this applicant doesn't know how to write a resume. nope"

I think the mention of Mako may be acceptable or unacceptable, contingent on the motivation and phrasing. Any law firm which hires Kei Komuro will be exposed to a torrent of negative publicity and comments from Japan, as we saw with Fordham University and apparently even the New York State Bar Association, and the firm may also attract attention from Japanese paparazzi. It would only be prudent of Kei to warn and discuss the issue with any potential employers, who may be frightened off.

On the other hand, if he mentioned his royal fiancée so as tip the hiring scale in his favor, that would be patently unacceptable and establish the wisdom of not accepting him as an official imperial prince.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom