Duchess of Sussex Jewels 1: November 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking forward to see more jewelry from Diana come back to light, too. The way I see it happening is Catherine will get the sapphires and Meghan will get the emeralds and other colored stones. I think emeralds would suit Meghan.

There are a few pieces of emerald jewelry that were Diana's personal property, including an art deco bracelet with diamonds and emeralds that was one of Charles' wedding presents to her: http://www.dianasjewels.net/Bracelets/0000330068-021.jpg

I believe there was an emerald necklace that Diana only wore once, which had a very 'Saudi gift' feel to it if you know what I mean. This one: http://www.dianasjewels.net/Earrings/PaveEarrings-Necklace1.jpg

If this unknown emerald necklace was a gift it should also be available, as well as a modern (?) cabochon emerald and diamond ring that Diana wore a few times.

Last edited:
I’m curious to find out if the new Duchess received more jewelry from the Reflections de Cartier line and if the jewelry of Diana was split up between her sons or if we will see her daughters-in-law sharing her pieces.

I was just sitting here wondering how they divided up her jewelry. I am speculating that they probably made the decision of how it would be divided when William and Kate got married. I just want one of them to please wear that gorgeous multi-strand pearl sapphire pendant choker of Diana's soon. It is too stunning to just sit in a jewelry box somewhere.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpjdk43VyW1qidgdg.jpg
I prefer for Kate to wear it because it seems more her style, but there are some other stunning sapphire pieces of Diana's that are a little more modern that would look great on Meghan.
I am thinking this would look great on Meghan: http://www.dianasjewels.net/Necklaces/0000307799-001.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone else thinks the earrings Meghan wore to the wedding match the necklace Meghan's mom was wearing?

I was just sitting here wondering how they divided up her jewelry. I am speculating that they probably made the decision of how it would be divided when William and Kate got married. I just want one of them to please wear that gorgeous multi-strand pearl sapphire pendant choker of Diana's soon. It is too stunning to just sit in a jewelry box somewhere.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpjdk43VyW1qidgdg.jpg
I prefer for Kate to wear it because it seems more her style, but there are some other stunning sapphire pieces of Diana's that are a little more modern that would look great on Meghan.
I am thinking this would look great on Meghan: http://www.dianasjewels.net/Necklaces/0000307799-001.jpg

That is so beautiful and Thank You for sharing it, I have never seen that before and it is so gorgeous. That would look so nice on Meghan yet not sure how she would wear it....maybe more links to make it a bit longer around the neck...

Meghan will get the emeralds

It makes sense for the Duchess of Sussex to have whatever Emeralds [and other coloured stones] in the collection of the late Princess, as [ultimately] the Duchess of Cambridge will have the use of MASSES of emerald Jewellery , when she becomes Queen.
But there is no need to be quite so purist about the division- surely some of the more modern set Sapphires would be welcome for the new Duchess ?

It makes sense for the Duchess of Sussex to have whatever Emeralds [and other coloured stones] in the collection of the late Princess, as [ultimately] the Duchess of Cambridge will have the use of MASSES of emerald Jewellery , when she becomes Queen.
But there is no need to be quite so purist about the division- surely some of the more modern set Sapphires would be welcome for the new Duchess ?

That did sound rather cut and dried, sorry about the tone, it wasn't meant to sound that way. There will be lots of overlap, there are sentiments involved, personal preferences, etc. of course.

I actually think the multi-strand pearl necklace with the huge sapphire brooch from QEQM would look amazing on Meghan, but that will probably stay with Kate. There are definitely some of the Saudi sapphires that would be easy for Meghan to wear whereas they might not work so well on Kate. Time will tell.

I'm a bit late on everything since I was out of town this weekend. But did Meghan bring her jewel game this week or what????? I'm sooooo excited about the new Duchess' jewel game in the future based on what we saw yesterday and even the Birks earring the day before the wedding!

I'm a bit late on everything since I was out of town this weekend. But did Meghan bring her jewel game this week or what????? I'm sooooo excited about the new Duchess' jewel game in the future based on what we saw yesterday and even the Birks earring the day before the wedding!

Yep. She showed up and showed out. I have to say I like her minimalist take on jewellery, however I think Meghan knows when to bring it. The bracelet with the studs was perfect Meghan. The chandeliers with the cocktail ring, another perfect approach.

She doesn't seem like the type that would over-do it, but balance is key for her. One large piece, with smaller pieces to match.

I’m curious to find out if the new Duchess received more jewelry from the Reflections de Cartier line and if the jewelry of Diana was split up between her sons or if we will see her daughters-in-law sharing her pieces.

My guess is that the jewelry was divided between the boys. There is already the story that Harry had picked Diana's engagement ring and William her Cartier watch (but then, obviously, the ring given to Will for Kate), so I would assume that they also divided up or each picked from her other jewels. I don't think they would share - seems like that could get complicated (who gets to wear what for a specific event they are both attending?!) - plus the BRF don't seem to share jewels like the Swedish, e.g., do.

I was reading an article today that said Diana had said that she wished her jewels to be divided between the boys for use by their future wives. So, IMO, I don't jewels would be held back for grandchildren, as someone else mentioned. I think they will be used by Kate and Meghan. I think the Cambridges or Sussexes may then decide to bequeath some from their division to their own children, but I don't think they will be just putting them away in a vault for 20-30 years. I mean, they are all so gorgeous, why sit on them for decades?!

IMO, Kate should get all of the sapphire jewels, since she has the sapphire engagement ring and appears to favor blue/blue jewels. I also think she is so associated with sapphires, that - if it were me - I'd be happy to let that her "her stone" and I'd just choose something else. There is already going to be so much comparison between the two women that I'd not want to contribute to that. I am hoping that Meghan has received Diana's other aquamarine jewelry and that she'll receive her emeralds or pearls.

Heck yeah, she sure did! I was really happy to see her in some more substantial pieces since her previous style has been so minimalistic - tiny little rings and earrings. I like bigger, chunkier pieces, even though, obviously that isn't her style, lol.

I can't wait to see a repeat of the earrings she wore the day (or 2 days?) before the wedding - the Birks snowstorm ones. Hopefully now that she's officially a part of the family we will see her at more formal events that call for more substantial jewels.

Last edited:
There's enough sapphires for both wives to get a set. From the top of my head there are at least two sets. The Saudi sapphires and the set from the Sultan of Oman.

There's enough sapphires for both wives to get a set. From the top of my head there are at least two sets. The Saudi sapphires and the set from the Sultan of Oman.

For me though, it's not whether there are enough to go around, it's more that Kate is so associated with sapphires that - for me - I would want my own identity. Especially since, even the Sultan of Oman set**, the main sapphire stones are basically the exact same shape as Kate's engagement ring (and the sapphire earrings she has that look similar to Diana's). If they were square shaped I might rest them into a new formulation and then it wouldn't feel as samey as Kate's pieces.

I'm just speaking for me personally and what I would do/want if I were in Meghan's place. I'd be happy to let sapphires be Kate's "colored jewel" and I'd choose something else...emeralds, etc. Or just stick with diamonds, lol. Can't go wrong with diamonds!

**nevermind, I was thinking of the Saudi set, which have the round/oval sapphire. The Oman set is more of a triangle/sweeping design.

Last edited:
Meghan will be playing a little catch up as well. Not having foreign royals, especially Uber wealthy Middle East royals as wedding guests will set her back a bit. I think the emeralds Catherine wore to the Baftas are a wedding gift.

:previous: I agree. While Diana has plenty of sapphires, she also had plenty of other stones, including other colors. I would go another direction if I was Meghan.

Though if she is going to wear sapphires, I do think Meghan would likely lean more towards the Oman suite. Its a bit more modern in lines. The suite isn't that large though unlike the Saudi, just a necklace and earrings.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08/12/princess-dianas-oman-sapphire-suite/

Kate seems to be more the 'traditional jewel' type then Meghan. The Saudi suite definitely fits her a bit better IMO, and match her ring.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08/21/princess-dianas-saudi-sapphire-suite/

Besides that there is the giant brooch she wore on pearls. Not sure I could see it being worn, but if it was, more likely by Kate.

Would love to see Meghan in pearls.

LaRae

Would love to see Meghan in pearls.

LaRae

I wouldn't. Sorry most pearls are kind of 'old fashioned'. I don't mind the aquamarine/pearl bracelet. But I hope we never see her in a string of pearls, at least for a few more decades. She has a much more modern clean aesthetic.

A good quality set of pearls are never out of style. The Aquamarine bracelet that matches the ring contain pearls as the 'band'.

LaRae

A good quality set of pearls are never out of style. The Aquamarine bracelet that matches the ring contain pearls as the 'band'.

LaRae

Sorry but in the 'modern aesthetic' the idea of a woman with a nice little chain of pearls is not fashion forward. More if you are going for a retro Jackie O feel.

I actually specifically mention the pearls on the aquamarine bracelet, notice. I said I actually don't mind them, and have said I'd like to see her wear them. But a pearl bracelet is different then wearing a string of pearls around your neck.

A string of pearls, if under a certain age, requires a certain fashion style for them to look fashionable. They look good on Kate, because her retro 50/60s vine she lives in, fits that aesthetic.

Sometime after the passing of Diana I remember reading in either Majesty magazine or Royalty magazine that Harry was to inherit All of Diana's jewels as Williams future bride would have the use of the Queens collection. Perhaps this is why we see the Queen loaning Kate some very nice pieces over the last 7 years. Also i believe Harry and William are casual about Diana's collection and not so rigid as to who wears what.

I loved seeing Meghan in that tiara and the bracelet. Not fussed on the wedding earrings but that is possibly because I couldn't see them in very much detail.
Anyway she was a beautiful bride and everyone I spoke to loved the wedding.
Warm feelings towards Doria too.

It will be Prince Charles's 70 th birthday celebration this weekend so i can't wait to see what jewels our brand new Duchess wears to the party.

I know...can't wait to see the outfit and jewelry (if any)!

LaRae

Would it be wrong to take some of the gems out of various pieces and rework them? Diana did that, Queen Mary did that, Queen Elizabeth did as well. So, for example, the Sultan of Oman suite, maybe, could be taken apart and reworked to create something specifically suited to one of the Duchesses. Or does a certain amount of time have to elapse before a piece can be reworked?

Would it be wrong to take some of the gems out of various pieces and rework them? Diana did that, Queen Mary did that, Queen Elizabeth did as well. So, for example, the Sultan of Oman suite, maybe, could be taken apart and reworked to create something specifically suited to one of the Duchesses. Or does a certain amount of time have to elapse before a piece can be reworked?

You could always rework them, but it'd be difficult with the Oman Suite as it use small stones and the design is so unique. The Saudi is easier with a bigger stone, just put it into another setting.

It has been suggested Kate's sapphire earrings are the Saudi suite, they were just re-worked for her style. No confirmation, but if true, then yes can be done.

And Meghan's engagement ring has 2 diamonds that were taken from a brooch that belonged to Diana.

It has been suggested Kate's sapphire earrings are the Saudi suite, they were just re-worked for her style. No confirmation, but if true, then yes can be done.

And Meghan's engagement ring has 2 diamonds that were taken from a brooch that belonged to Diana.

Countessmeout, can you post a photo of the sapphire earrings Kate wears that you are referring to? These are the Saudi earrings, I don't remember Kate wearing similar earrings, but maybe I missed it. https://www.gettyimages.it/detail/f...-tiara-with-a-suite-of-and-picture-id52118331

If it's personal jewelry (gifts, etc) there's no problem doing whatever you like to the piece.

Last edited:
Countessmeout, can you post a photo of the sapphire earrings Kate wears that you are referring to? These are the Saudi earrings, I don't remember Kate wearing similar earrings, but maybe I missed it. https://www.gettyimages.it/detail/f...-tiara-with-a-suite-of-and-picture-id52118331

If it's personal jewelry (gifts, etc) there's no problem doing whatever you like to the piece.

The sapphire drop earrings Kate wears, has worn since her engagement. It has been suggested (here in the article by the DM) in several places that they may be altered version of the Saudi suite.

Diana's sensational sapphires (that Kate adores) | Daily Mail Online

The sapphire drop earrings Kate wears, has worn since her engagement. It has been suggested (here in the article by the DM) in several places that they may be altered version of the Saudi suite.

Diana's sensational sapphires (that Kate adores) | Daily Mail Online

Ah, the good old DF, they are far from a reliable source for jewelry information! :lol:
This is the Saudi suite: http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpks75wTh21qidgdg.jpg

There is no part of it that remotely matches Kate's earrings imo.

Ah, the good old DF, they are far from a reliable source for jewelry information! :lol:
This is the Saudi suite: http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpks75wTh21qidgdg.jpg

There is no part of it that remotely matches Kate's earrings imo.

I know what the Saudi suite is. There are pictures in the DM article. And DM isn't the only one who suggested the sapphires for the earrings came from he suite.

I didn't say it was true. I simply said 'it has been suggested'....

Last edited:
Just weighing in on two things:
Firstly a traditional strand of pearls could be seen as a bit old-fashioned yes although I'd personally call it classic. The solution to that could be to use whatever pearls at Meghan's disposal in other jewellery - bracelets, maybe a longer necklace with a pendant etc...
The other thing is regarding what has been said about the boys waiting to divide up their mother's jewels until Harry's wedding. That's what Harald, Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway did. Their mother Crown Princess Märtha died in 1954 but it wasn't until after Harald's wedding to Sonja Haraldsen in 1968 that they finally divided up her substantial jewellery collection.

Just weighing in on two things:
Firstly a traditional strand of pearls could be seen as a bit old-fashioned yes although I'd personally call it classic. The solution to that could be to use whatever pearls at Meghan's disposal in other jewellery - bracelets, maybe a longer necklace with a pendant etc...
The other thing is regarding what has been said about the boys waiting to divide up their mother's jewels until Harry's wedding. That's what Harald, Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway did. Their mother Crown Princess Märtha died in 1954 but it wasn't until after Harald's wedding to Sonja Haraldsen in 1968 that they finally divided up her substantial jewellery collection.

I agree re the pearls, classic vs old-fashioned makes sense. Diana wore pearls a lot, she had a lovely, many-stranded pearl necklace with diamond/ruby bars, a gorgeous set of large, cream colored baroque pearls that I always coveted... the list is really long and varied, I'm sure there are lots of goodies for both ladies to share.

It makes sense for the Will and Harry to wait until both were married, that way their wives can make up their minds what suits them (smart men, leaving that one up to the wives!)

Back
Top Bottom