Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does seem odd to me (probably as I am used to UK model) with a HRH outranking HM but the reasons given all make sense and I guess we have to remember The Queen Mother may have been HM but Philip was HRH and they seemed to be treated the same.

TBF it also made me think of when Henrik sulked and stomped off to France when Frederik stepped in to host the NY receptions when Daisy couldn't. Henrik though he should, but Daisy was clear it was Fred's role. That is similar to what we see now -the Crown Prince has a more important role after the King (and presumably Queen) than the former Queen.

Yes, Queen Mary holds the same rank protocol wise as her husband.

As she is also acknowledged Rigsforstander, when appointed, she is, as I understand it, the highest ranking among those who currently can be appointed Rigsforstander. And as such the first who is likely to be appointed Rigsforstander among those available. - Not least because FX has made it pretty clear that he and Queen Mary are a team.

In other words: The only time Christian outranks his mother is when he is Regent.

In regard to the discussion above, this is the act of parliament which regulates the arrangements for regency when the monarch is ill, absent, a minor, or otherwise incapable of governing of the realm.

https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/lta/1871/25

As Muhler said, the law enshrines the right of the first in line to the throne to serve as regent when he is of age and able to do so. For all others, appointment as regent is a privilege and not a right.

The act of parliament governing regency is silent on the matters of rank and precedence. These are separate decisions taken, I believe, by the monarch.

The first in line to the throne also enjoys a special constitutional position as a member of the Council of State:

§ 17
(1) The body of Ministers shall form the Council of State, in which the Heir to the Throne shall have a seat when of age. The Council of State shall be presided over by the King except in the instance mentioned in Section 8, and in instances in which the legislature in pursuance of Section 9 may have delegated the conduct of government to the Council of State.

https://english.stm.dk/media/8874/the-constitutional-act-of-denmark.pdf

Last edited:
During his visit to Poland, Frederik spoke about the day of the proclamation and being on the balcony.

"- To be received so beautifully, so joyfully and so heartily at Christiansborg Slotsplads was a very moving experience that hit me deep in the heart, he says."
"- It was fantastic to get the support from the Danes, which showed that they are ready for the next chapter. And so am I.

- It (the support, ed.) means that people believe in me, it says."

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2024...ronskiftet-ramte-kong-frederik-dybt-i-hjertet

In regard to the discussion above, this is the act of parliament which regulates the arrangements for regency when the monarch is ill, absent, a minor, or otherwise incapable of governing of the realm.

https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/lta/1871/25

As Muhler said, the law enshrines the right of the first in line to the throne to serve as regent when he is of age and able to do so. For all others, appointment as regent is a privilege and not a right.

The act of parliament governing regency is silent on the matters of rank and precedence. These are separate decisions taken, I believe, by the monarch.

The first in line to the throne also enjoys a special constitutional position as a member of the Council of State:

§ 17
(1) The body of Ministers shall form the Council of State, in which the Heir to the Throne shall have a seat when of age. The Council of State shall be presided over by the King except in the instance mentioned in Section 8, and in instances in which the legislature in pursuance of Section 9 may have delegated the conduct of government to the Council of State.

https://english.stm.dk/media/8874/the-constitutional-act-of-denmark.pdf

There is custom of selecting the highest ranking in descending order among those who happens to be available. Hence why Joachim was often appointed Rigsforstander even though Benedikte was in Copenhagen at the time, while Joachim was at say Schakenborg.
So I will expect Queen Mary to be appointed Rigsforstander fairly often and certainly more often than Joachim, Benedikte, QMII and probably Isabella too at some point.

Norwegian historian Dag T. Hoelseth obtained a copy of Queen Margrethe II's declaration of abdication, which reads:

Vi, Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, af Guds nåde Danmarks Dronning, skal herved meddele, at Vi med Vor underskrift på dette dokument frasiger Os tronen.

[Signed.]

Givet på Christiansborg Slot, den 14. januar 2024​

Mr. Hoelseth's translation:

We, Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, by the Grace of God Queen of Denmark, hereby announce that We, with Our signature on this document, abdicate Our Throne.

[Signed.]

Given at Christiansborg Palace, 14 January 2024.​

See his blog post for the scanned copy.

https://dagtho.blogspot.com/2024/01/denmark-declaration-of-abdication_31.html

I suppose that answers the question of why the abdication immediately entered into force when the Queen signed the declaration: because that is what the declaration says.

On this day, exactly one month after her abdication and while being Rigsforstander, QMII has issued a statement expressing her gratitude for the much appreciation she has gotten after her abdication:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-margrethe-sender-roert-besked-til-danskerne

"The many greeting have gone to my heart and I have appreciated each and every one."

- I'm very glad that QMII has experienced in person how appreciated and respected she really is and it is my clear impression that she is truly delighted.
Ain't much fun being appreciated when you are dead.

On another note: There has been some critique of FX&QM going on holiday this week. Some believing it to be too soon and that they surely must be busy.
- I think that is not only unfair but thoughtless. It must be people who either don't have children or have forgotten how it is to have children. Week 7 is the annual winter holiday where the schools are closed and many of those parents who can also take off during this week. You treasure the quality time you have with your children. Their childhood and early teen years are over in a blink of an eye.
And if anyone bothered to read the last chapter in King Frederik's manifesto it says clearly that they will take time off to unwind and recharge.

It was a very nice message from Margrethe. And you are right what a joy that she can experience all the love. Im sure she knew she was well liked and respected but it is always nice to see it again.
The pictures they shared is also nice too. Imagine the kids that sent their drawings and now see it highlighted on the DRF Instagram. :flowers:

And yes agree with you on the vacation. The kids need their parents too and quiet relax family time. They did so well with the proclamation and all the changes.

This must belong here: Vidste ikke noget om dronningens beslutning: 'Jeg må nok sige, at jeg var i chok'
It's Princess Nathalie who has given an interview to Billed Bladet in which she tells that she had no idea QMII would abdicate.
"My mother just told us: You've got to see the New Yar Speech. And: "It's good", or something like that. That didn't strike me as odd and I didn't think deeper about. And then this announcement came. I've got to say that I was in shock. But I can really understand her.
She has probably thought hard about her decision. Now she can enjoy passing the scepter on to King Frederik and Queen Mary and enjoy to see how well they are going to do it. Because I'm one hundred percent certain they will do really well. It's a new age, we are in the 21st century and they will probably do things in a more modern way."

Count Ingolf however was among the few who got a heads up in advance.
"It was a very big surprise. We were all taken aback. I was told three hours beforehand, so that we weren't to watch it on the telly. So we were prepared.
- Yes, we would have had a shock if we were to have been told from TV. I think the decision was mega-cool and brave."

So I’m taking from that that Queen Margrethe had told her sister beforehand as she told her daughter to make sure to watch the New Year speech.

That shouldn't come as a surprise if even her cousin count Ingolf had been told ahead of time. Although I expect that Benedikte and Anne Marie at least knew days and not just hours in advance.

Back
Top Bottom