Prince Christian's 18th birthday, October 15, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Today, August 8, the Palace released information about Prince Christian's 18th birthday on October 15, 2023 and the celebrations planned so far.

Furthermore some nice portraits have been released:

** kongehuset: His Royal Highness Prince Christian’s 18th birthday **

** kongehuset: New portraits on the occasion of His Royal Highness Prince Christian's 18th birthday **

Official events in connection with Prince Christian’s 18th birthday:

Sunday, 15 October 2023

12:00 Prince Christian appears on the balcony of Frederik VIII’s Palace together with his family and The Queen.

17:00 The Queen hosts a gala dinner at Christianborg Palace, to which a selection of the country’s youth organisations as well as young people who have made their mark in the worlds of sport, arts and culture are invited, among others. In addition, The Royal House of Denmark will invite up to 200 young people from the realm to take part in the celebration in cooperation with the country’s municipalities, as each of Denmark’s municipalities as well as Greenland and the Faroe Islands will have the opportunity to select two 18-year-olds to participate in the gala dinner.

Tuesday, 14 November 2023

09:30 Prince Christian participates in a meeting of the Council of State, at which The Prince will make a so-called solemn declaration that he will abide by the Constitution. Hereafter, Prince Christian will be able to be appointed as a regent. Prince Christian will not have a seat in the Council of State before a succession to the throne has taken place.

17:00 The Queen hosts a gala dinner at Christianborg Palace, to which a selection of the country’s youth organisations as well as young people who have made their mark in the worlds of sport, arts and culture are invited, among others. In addition, The Royal House of Denmark will invite up to 200 young people from the realm to take part in the celebration in cooperation with the country’s municipalities, as each of Denmark’s municipalities as well as Greenland and the Faroe Islands will have the opportunity to select two 18-year-olds to participate in the gala dinner.

The arrangements sound very similar to the dinner in the national library held for Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's coming of age. It is nice to see that the event, which I thought went wonderfully, went on to inspire a neighboring royal house.

Hopefully the Danish royal house will also follow the Norwegian royal house's lead by having Prince Christian deliver a speech, which in his case would serve as his introduction to his future citizens (as unlike Princess Ingrid Alexandra, he did not deliver a public speech for his confirmation).

I hope young Princes from other monarchies are invited (Ingrid Alexandra, Leonor, Catharina-Amalia, Elisabeth, Estelle, and even George and little Charles of Luxembourg).

I hope young Princes from other monarchies are invited (Ingrid Alexandra, Leonor, Catharina-Amalia, Elisabeth, Estelle, and even George and little Charles of Luxembourg).

So why omit Josef Wenzel of Liechtenstein and Jacques of Monaco?

Seriously, I think only heirs close in age to Christian will attend.

The arrangements sound very similar to the dinner in the national library held for Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's coming of age. It is nice to see that the event, which I thought went wonderfully, went on to inspire a neighboring royal house.

The first one doing so I think is Elisabeth who invited 80 young people who born in the same year as Elisabeth to her birthday reception. Very meaningful arrangements :flowers:.

There is no mention of foreign royals at all so it may very well be entirely domestic guests (apart from his foreign family members ofcourse)

There is no mention of foreign royals at all so it may very well be entirely domestic guests (apart from his foreign family members ofcourse)

But i guess they will invite his royal godparents. And then we would have the swedish and norwegian Crown Princely Couples attending.

But i guess they will invite his royal godparents. And then we would have the swedish and norwegian Crown Princely Couples attending.

Yes. And Pavlos and M-C (though they may have been invited anyway)

That's it? No gala like Ingrid Alexandra? Sounds like she got much more in terms of events for her 18th and she's in the same position as Christian. Hope more is announced tbh. If not, this is very disappointing but well not shocking in a way.

Friends could include foreign royals around his age - but in a private capacity. I.e. they are not there as royals, let alone representing their country, but as fellow teens.
And they could pretty much include every European royal say between 16-20.

Alas, I don't think so. There will be a couple of hundred representatives around Christian's age and he is going to host and mingle with them. So I doubt we will see foreign royal teens at the official gala.
But there may well be a private party...

- I hope so. It would be great with a teen royal party.

Last edited:
That's it? No gala like Ingrid Alexandra? Sounds like she got much more in terms of events for her 18th and she's in the same position as Christian. Hope more is announced tbh. If not, this is very disappointing but well not shocking in a way.

She had also a Dinner hosted by the norwegian government. This is never done in Denmark (don't know why). Was also not the case at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary whereas in both Denmark and Sweden there had been Dinners offered bythe respective goverments.

Funny then how Christian and Ingrid who aren't even the heirs yet, but just the heir of the actual heir, managed to have a gala whereas ACTUAL heirs like Elisabeth, Caterina-Amalia and Leonor (because I would be SHOCKED if the Spanish Government agrees to more than a lunch with some random mayor for Leo) didn't get a big Gala.

Christian seems to have no problem whatsoever with public speaking, so I'm expecting a speech from lilleprinsen. Who's going to break in tears first, Mary or Fred? :D

The part about having 200 young people from the realm definitely resembles what was done for Elisabeth, with 100th or so teenagers from across Belgium invited to the Royal Palace.

Last edited:
That's it? No gala like Ingrid Alexandra?

The official announcement, quoted and linked in iceflower's post, specifically states "The Queen will host a gala dinner".

I don't see why there is still doubt.

Sounds like she got much more in terms of events for her 18th and she's in the same position as Christian. Hope more is announced tbh. If not, this is very disappointing but well not shocking in a way.

Even if he had skipped the gala dinner, he would still have gotten much more in the way of public celebration than the Princess of Orange and Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant.

Last edited:
No Gala then for Christian!?? Funny then how Ingrid who isn't even the heir yet, but just the heir of the actual heir, managed to have a gala whereas ACTUAL heirs like Elisabeth, Caterina-Amalia and Leonor (because I would be SHOCKED if the Spanish Government agrees to more than a lunch with some random mayor for Leo) didn't get a big Gala.

There will be a Galadinner as that is said in the announcement
In Belgium (Elisabeth), and Spain (Leonor) there are never big celebrations not even for milestones birhdays of the reigning monarchs.

Haakon also has 18th birthday celebration with bigger scale than Frederik (with more foreign guests). It's just two different countries doing thing differently, nothing disappointing.

Kind of think that he will have something similar to his father's, only invite close family and godparents, unlike in Norway with extensive guests from different European houses and generations. Let's hope I'm wrong:D.

Last edited:
:previous:

I think the description of "gala dinner" used in the official announcement as well as the invitation of 200 young official representatives of the Danish municipalities suggests a rather large-scale event.

Why is everyone commenting that there isn’t a “gala” when the announcement clearly says “gala dinner”???

:previous:

I think the description of "gala dinner" used in the official announcement as well as the invitation of 200 young official representatives of the Danish municipalities suggests a rather large-scale event.

True, but I'm talking about the scale in terms of the foreign guests. Mainly want to say it's difficult to complete one country to another country.

Regarding the comparisons to Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's coming of age, a review:

Princess Ingrid Alexandra:

January 20, 2022: Visits to Parliament, the Supreme Court, and the Prime Minister's Office.
January 21, 2022: Reception of congratulations from representatives of official Norway at the Royal Palace.

June 16, 2022: Black-tie dinner hosted by the Government at the Deichman Bjørvika library. The guestlist includes 202 representatives of official Norway, including 25 youth representatives from the counties. Speeches are delivered by the Prime Minister and the Princess.
June 17, 2022: Gala dinner hosted by the King and Queen at the Royal Palace. The guestlist includes foreign royals and diplomats and representatives of official Norway. Speeches are delivered by the King and Queen, Crown Prince and Crown Princess, and Princess.

Prince Christian (events officially announced today):

October 15, 2023: Changing of the guard and balcony appearance.
October 15, 2023: Gala dinner hosted by the Queen at Christiansborg Palace. The guestlist will include youth representatives of organizations, sports, arts and culture and up to 200 youth representatives of municipalities and territories.
October 16, 2023: Meeting of the Council of State and oath to the Constitution.

It seems likely that Christian's celebrations will include a longer list of official representatives (200 youth representatives of Danish municipalities versus 25 youth representatives of Norwegian counties). He will make a balcony appearance, which Ingrid Alexandra did not have.

On the other hand, there is nothing in the announcement about the Danish government hosting a dinner for him as the Norwegian government did for Ingrid Alexandra, or about visiting Parliament, the Supreme Court and the Prime Minister's Office as she did.

Here is the thread for Princess Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday.
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ary-2022-and-birthday-celebrations-49074.html

Last edited:
I will keep my fingers crossed that Mary and Frederik will at least have the chance to make speeches at this dinner announced. The one given by Haakon and Mette-Marit was so lovely and emotional. I can only imagine Christian's parents trying to hold it together and getting chocked up.

I do hope at least his godparents will be able to attend the dinner given that they were unable to be at his confirmation due to the pandemic.

Will there even be formal photos with orders? Will he even get the Order of the Elephant at 18?

Maybe the Gov't will make their own announcement about an event being held for him.

Last edited:
On the other hand, there is nothing in the announcement about the Danish government hosting a dinner for him as the Norwegian government did for Ingrid Alexandra, or about visiting Parliament, the Supreme Court and the Prime Minister's Office as she did.

Did the Danish government also have something similar for Frederik's 18th, especially visiting government bodies?

I will keep my fingers crossed that Mary and Frederik will at least have the chance to make speeches at this dinner announced. The one given by Haakon and Mette-Marit was so lovely and emotional. I can only imagine Christian's parents trying to hold it together and getting chucked up.

I do hope at least his godparents will be able to attend the dinner given that they were unable to he at his confirmation due to the pandemic.

Will there even be formal photos with orders? Will he even get the Order of the Elephant at 18?

Maybe the Gov't will make their own announcement about an event being held for him.

As he is to be made available as Rigsforstander (acting regent) he will definitely recive the Order of the Elephant, and probably also the Order of Dannebrog, as a gift from his grandmother.

Very exciting times, the little royals are growing. :flowers:
Looking forward to the balcony appearance and gala. Nice that they included youth from around the country and Greenland and the Faroe Islands.
Also look forward to his first council of state.
Lovely photos as well.

Last edited:
They need a better communications team/strategy overall and/or the CPC need their own separate one with a proper spokesperson that knows how to handle media in the 21st century.

Maybe so, but separate communications teams between different family members is a slippery slope, as was evident within the British Royal Family. The monarchy needs to speak with one mouth, that of the monarch.

Maybe so, but separate communications teams between different family members is a slippery slope, as was evident within the British Royal Family. The monarchy needs to speak with one mouth, that of the monarch.

Well, maybe there's a need to better speak that alleged mouth because they keep running into these types of avoidable situations and sounding defensive with a no further comment and read the press release is not going to cut it in this day and age. It just allows the media to spin the narrative. Plus it appears that this group feels slighted and given they are part of the people the monarch serves maybe a little more tact and delicacy could be employed. Because if not, it will he like it always happens...Mary and Frederik are the ones that end up with microphones stuck in their faces holding the bag. Maybe the main mouth should he called upon to answer then.

Not the best way to kick off the information about the event for Christian's 18th birthday IMO.

Can you give a summary of the "issue"?
The issue is that only youths from The Realm (Denmark, Greenland & the Faroe Islands) have been invited to Prince Christian's birthday banquet with no representation from the Danish minority south of the border with Germany.

Last edited:
The issue is that only youths from The Realm (Denmark, Greenland & the Faroe Islands) have been invited to Prince Christian's birthday banquet with no representation from the Danish minority south of the border with Germany.

Thank you very much for summarizing the story.

Here is the original article which is being reported by other papers:

https://www.fla.de/sydslesvig/nyhed...elleskabet-er-inviteret-men-sydslesvigs-unge-

To expand on JR76's summary: The newspaper Flensborg Avis from South Schleswig (for those not aware: South Schleswig is a region which was ruled by the Danish crown from 1460 to 1864, and since 1864 has been part of Prussia, West Germany and now Germany) asked the royal household about not inviting representatives from the ethnically Danish minority in South Schleswig. The royal household stated that they had nothing to add to the press release, and that it was youth from the Danish realm (meaning the territories reigned over by the Danish monarchy/government) who were invited.

Plus it appears that this group feels slighted and given they are part of the people the monarch serves maybe a little more tact and delicacy could be employed.

I am not sure a single newspaper article, which does not cite evidence of people feeling slighted, proves that the whole "group" (I assume you mean the ethnic Danes in South Schleswig) feels slighted.

I am also not sure the Danish monarch can be said to serve ethnic Danes in other countries in the same way she serves citizens of the Danish realms, although of course it is wonderful that Queen Margrethe II and other royals continue to preserve historical links by carrying out visits to the region.

What response do you suggest would be more tactful?

Last edited:
I have to say when I read this
as each of Denmark’s municipalities as well as Greenland and the Faroe Islands will have the opportunity to select two 18-year-olds to participate in the gala dinner
I couldn't help thinking of the Hunger Games. I hope in this case there is no reaping bowl ;)

I am surprised they come forward with the whole programme and pictures at such an early stage. Hopefully Christian in not drawn into any controversy because of incompetent planning.

Back
Top Bottom