Prince Sverre Magnus's 18th birthday: December 3, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A new portrait of Prince Sverre Magnus has been released today to mark the Prince's 18th birthday on December 3:

** Portrait **

Handsome picture overall, but it's very hard to see him as anything other than his mother's clone. And what a strange choice to have him in the shadows.

:previous: Not only is Prince Sverre Magnus in the shadows he is wearing a dark suit. However, he is wearing a white shirt. Did he have a choice how he was photographed?

Last edited:
A new portrait of Prince Sverre Magnus has been released today to mark the Prince's 18th birthday on December 3:

** Portrait **

I don't see what this is about if he is to be like a middle-class untitled worker in the future and not a prince of the realm sort of thing.

I don't see what this is about if he is to be like a middle-class untitled worker in the future and not a prince of the realm sort of thing.

All siblings these days are pretty much expected to do their own thing — but he's still a Prince, the future King's son, the future Queen's brother (ML is recognized by the Court), and for the near future, the next-in-line.

(…)

Last edited by a moderator:
King Harald and Queen Sonja hosted a luncheon at the Royal Palace on the occasion of Prince Sverre Magnus’ 18th birthday (December 3) today, December 1:

** tt.se gallery **

The official photos are great, specially the goofy one. Nice to see Prince Sverre Magnus celebrated.

I believe Queen Sonja is also one of his godmothers? Nice that she spoke. Did his maternal grandmother attend? Always a pleasure to see the NRF in traditional outfits, though I don't remember the King ever wearing it.

I believe Queen Sonja is also one of his godmothers? Nice that she spoke. Did his maternal grandmother attend? Always a pleasure to see the NRF in traditional outfits, though I don't remember the King ever wearing it.
Yes MM's mother is in the group pic.
He was also awarded the Order of St. Olav by the King
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0UE6MVIrTT/?hl=de

The King has appointed Prince Sverre Magnus to the Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav. The insignia was conferred at a private ceremony in the Royal Palace in connection with the celebration of his coming of age.

Utnevnelse til St. Olavs Orden - Det norske kongehus

More information on the Order of Saint Olav, Norway's most distinguished decoration:

The Order of St. Olav - The Royal House of Norway

Norwegian princes and princesses join the order upon coming of age.

In honor of the prince's coming of age, a family portrait with his three grandparents, parents, and sister was taken in the White Parlor at the Royal Palace. Prince Sverre Magnus is debuting a bunad gifted to him as a birthday present from the King and Queen. The model is from East Telemark circa 1870.

(..)
Family photograph - The Royal House of Norway

He's one seriously big dude!

And he's not even keeping his feet together, so you can add a few centimeters to his height in these photos.

I'd like to see him and Christian standing side by side, to compare them.

I love this Bunad. It's the first time I've seen this version on a Norwegian male royal. It's gorgeous. I adore how the NRF embraces traditional clothing. They are so elegant. Happy birthday to the Prince. He's grown into a handsome man.

I haven't seen him present, but maybe at a private party later. Marius also did skip the recent 50th birthday celebrations.

Some of the gifts received today
https://www.seher.no/kongelig/dette-far-prins-sverre-magnus/80608484

"- You have a good and solid life foundation, dear Magnus. Everything is in place so that you can make good choices for your own future. You are technically gifted and have opened your eyes to photography, which makes me very happy, said the queen, who is herself a keen photographer.

- And not least, you are interested in hunting, to grandfather's great delight.

Grandfather King Harald is himself an experienced hunter. It is tradition that a moose that has been shot by the king's hunting team is severed during the parliamentary dinner held at the Palace every autumn.

Queen Sonja also described a fearless prince.

- We all hold our breath when you fearlessly plunge from the Royal Ship, or when you jump onto the trampoline from the second floor at home in Skaugum, she said to laughter from the guests."

https://www.nrk.no/norge/bestemor-d...onlig-tale-til-prins-sverre-magnus-1.16660873

:previous: I especially like the painting from the Storting. The oranges and blues are vivid.

I just can't like Magnus's bunad yet. Not only did he avoid wearing anything traditional for ages, his father's is so much more flattering.

It's like "East Telemark is the most prestigious" was chosen without even considering if something else might suit him better.

More official photos and the gift from Parliament
https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=224491&sek=26939

Thank you for sharing the article. I see the official representatives were the president of the Storting (national parliament), the government ministers of labor and finance, and the leader of the Sami parliament, together with eight leaders of youth organizations.

Im surprised Marius is not in the family photo, he was for Ingrid Alexandra's 18th photo

It is a pity that Marius opted not to participate in the family photo (from his past treatment, I am certain he was not excluded by the family), but perhaps not surprising after he also missed his mother and stepfather's 50th birthday dinner in favor of clubbing with friends.

They really don't look anything alike, at all; it's only that people see "blond and chubby-faced" (although Olav's facial structure is completely different) and draw the simplest conclusion. I have never seen a picture of Magnus where he resembled his great-grandfather more than Mette-Marit with a touch of his dad around the eyes and cheeks. If Magnus's hair were slightly darker I don't think anybody would say anything about Olav.

Last edited:
"- You have a good and solid life foundation, dear Magnus. Everything is in place so that you can make good choices for your own future. You are technically gifted and have opened your eyes to photography, which makes me very happy, said the queen, who is herself a keen photographer.

- And not least, you are interested in hunting, to grandfather's great delight.

Grandfather King Harald is himself an experienced hunter. It is tradition that a moose that has been shot by the king's hunting team is severed during the parliamentary dinner held at the Palace every autumn.

Queen Sonja also described a fearless prince.

- We all hold our breath when you fearlessly plunge from the Royal Ship, or when you jump onto the trampoline from the second floor at home in Skaugum, she said to laughter from the guests."

https://www.nrk.no/norge/bestemor-d...onlig-tale-til-prins-sverre-magnus-1.16660873

It's easy to understand the King and Queen's delight that he shares their hobbies, and is continuing their traditions.

The Royal House's transcript of Queen Sonja's speech:

Markeringen av Prins Sverre Magnus’ myndighetsdag: Dronningens tale - Det norske kongehus

It seems the choice of Telemark bunad was in honor of the Queen's heritage:

It truly warms my heart to see that there are so many people wearing bunad here today, almost all... A bunad is a reminder of roots and your roots, dear Magnus. Of the legacy and ballast you carry with you through your extended family. You have roots in many places: From Dad and Grandpa you have roots in Oslo, Asker, Sweden, Denmark and England. Through Mom and Grandma you have with you a part of Sørlandet and Rogaland. And from my side, you have – visible from the bunad – roots from Telemark. You're a part of all of that, Magnus.

Some advice for her grandson:

I often think that young people today are subjected to unreasonable pressure. There is so much to consider. So much that draws attention away from what really matters. So many expectations – from society, school, friends and family. And then it's easy to expect a little too much from yourself.

But Magnus, I want to say something important to you and to the other 18-year-olds in our country today: It is good enough to be who you are. The most important thing is to become sure of yourself and listen to your own voice. The ability to empathize with other people's situations and be a good friend is much more important than being "good" at things. I hope you will also contribute to giving other young people around you confidence when it comes to this topic. Here we all have a job to do.

Dear Magnus! You are blessed with a large family that loves you very much and only wishes you well.

Great pictures - especially the one with Sverre Magnus in the front. Would have been nice if the king had also worn traditional clothing (like SM for the first time!).

But where is Marius?

Here is a 22-min VG-video (link) of the official luncheon at the Royal Palace today, where you can see the Regent-Couple, Prince Sverre Magnus and the CP-Couple greeting the guests in the Hall of Mirrors before walking into the small ballroom where the luncheon took place.

It was also sent live by the state broadcaster NRK and the commercial TV2 News Channel.

--------------------

I believe Queen Sonja is also one of his godmothers?
Yes, she is! And it was she who held him when he was christened back in 2006.

Always a pleasure to see the NRF in traditional outfits, though I don't remember the King ever wearing it.
The Bunad consists of many regional and local outfits, which is believed to be the reason why he has never used one.
Why? Because he wants to be King for the whole country, not just a local place.

--------------------

And to those of you who wonder whether Marius was present, yes, he was! You can see him at 9:45 in the VG-video above.

Last edited:
I wish had a gala portrait

Queen Maxima didn't attend. True?

Marius was indeed present at the luncheon, just got glimpse of him but can't share the gif in here. He was looking rough.

Back
Top Bottom