Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 2: May 2008 - January 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
London 13/11 60th Birthday of Prince Charles

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5741/293j0qfez3.jpg

Mary Mary ... I wish I had only seen her pictures from the car. The head looks great but everything from shoulders down ... :sick: Mary is usually at her best at evening wear but this one is for me clearly a miss, not a hit.

I agree. The car view picture, Mary looked like she was in a stunning dress. The full view shot is dissapointing. The skirt looks nice so does the top but doesnt look good at all when put together.

It's hard to see what Mary's dress really looks like from the photo. She has the skirt hooked up on one side obviously so that the hem doesn't get wet. I think that Fred would have looked much better in a black suit and not the navy that he is wearing. :flowers:
This is my own personal opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone.

*shudder* That dress... :huh:

Very untypical for Mary to chose such.... such a dress.:alien:
The only good thing about her look was the lovely hairdo.

Not my favorite dress she has worn. I would have loved to have seen the purple wrap dress again. That would have been great.

Hmmm, I'm not too fond of this dress. CP Mary always look beautiful, but this dress is not one of her best choices imo.

Thank you Her_Majesty! I agree. Great to see it from a different angle, but it is still not a favorite of mine either.

I usually loves what she wears 95% of the time but unfortunately the dress was too gothic and dreary for me. I know it is fashionable to wear Victorian trends this season but her outfit looks more Morticia Adams than anything. From the neck up I thought she looked fabulous. Her hairstyle is impeccable. It's up there with Letizia's hairdo at the Copenhagen wedding. Flawless. But the dress is two thumbs down. She looks more like an emo queen with that ensemble.

I dont think it is easy to get a good look at the dress from those pictures. But so far it reminds me of the dresses worn pre-world war I.

I like the shape, but I don't think that the lace on top goes with the white stripes at the bottom. The white stripes are very modern and almost nautical-looking. The lace on top is old-fashioned and somewhat gothic-looking. Two entirely different looks combined together in a strange combination. The dress needed to have only one of these details, but definitely not both. This dress was a big miss, IMO. Her hair, makeup, skin, and jewellery are flawlessly beautiful though.

When I saw the pictures from the car I thought it looked unusual because of the neckline. Oh how I wish I hadn't seen the whole dress. IMO it really didn't flatter her. Not the best by any means

Agree with what has been said - the top half is great nut doesnt seem to go well with the bottom half - she would have been better sticking to the lace effect in the whole gown (naturally with a black dress underneath) or going with the stripped effect but not a combination of the two

Great hair and the earrings are divine

Gosh, look at Fred's suspenders :eek: His dark blue / black combo suit only adds to the horror of Mary's addams family outfit. One of the biggest occasions in international royalty and both of them get it wrong, big time!

i prefer a classic black tux also, the blue ones ok for his birthday but not a party with the queen of england. mary looks beautiful LOVE the earrings and i like the top but not with the skirt and i like the skirt but not with the top. i'm sorry to say i'm disappointed in the goth addams family look, the hair and makeup looks fine, it's just from the neck down:eek: i find black so boring

I agree. The car view picture, Mary looked like she was in a stunning dress. The full view shot is dissapointing. The skirt looks nice so does the top but doesnt look good at all when put together.

I couldn't agree more. I'm very disappointed that for Mary's first (I think) appearance at Buckingham Palace she chose to wear a mismatched, dull outfit. The jewelry, however, was spectacular!

I was very dissapointed this time. Usually her evning dresses are very nice and elegant.

i think first time i don't like her outfit!

IMO CP Mary had a good idea - retro style. Hairdo and make-up amazing :D But the dress.. controversial. The top is ok, but the skirt (?) is awful, especially that white
strips. I'm really dissapointed. CP Frederic choosed a bed colour of his siut :(

Honestly, I don't like her dress but I love her hairstyle & make-up.

I do agree with most of you guys, this was not Mary's best evening outfit. The top is lovely but not with that skirt and vice versa. The fabrics don't look like they match therefore the blacks don't match.

Not her best look and I was hoping for something gorgeous. The whole thing as an outfit is witchy wonder if the photos don't do the thing justice. Amazing she should have agreed this was a good choice.

Why though? Because you and whoever else doesn't like it?...;)

It's Mary's taste and clearly she wanted to wear it. And wear it well she did, imo.

When we have a preference to wear something, we feel comfortable and happy to wear it, don't we? Surely it's the same for Mary.

Of course it's not to everyone's (certainly not everyone's..lol.) liking and that's entirely understandable..:)..but then again I wonder how many "here" could succesfully wear what Mary wore...

I would have preferred her to have worn a singular cut dress, but she didn't. Though what she wore was, imo, delightfully elegant all the same.

The above aside...

Initially, I was actually hoping to see the evening dress she wore to the Sydney State Dinner of '05'.

Gosh, look at Fred's suspenders :eek: His dark blue / black combo suit only adds to the horror of Mary's addams family outfit. One of the biggest occasions in international royalty and both of them get it wrong, big time!

"The most elegant tux is not black at all, but midnight blue," advises former GQ Senior Editor Steve Friedman in "The Gentleman's Guide to Life." "Midnight blue actually looks blacker than black at night. Black can take on a sickly green tint under harsh indoor lights."

It's Mary's taste and clearly she wanted to wear it. And wear it well she did, imo.
I would have preferred her to have worn a singular cut dress, but she didn't. Though what she wore was, imo, delightfully elegant all the same.

You put it so well, Madame Royale. That's what I thought, too.

Why though? Because you and whoever else doesn't like it?...;)

When we have a preference to wear something, we feel comfortable and happy to wear it, don't we? Surely it's the same for Mary.

Of course it's not to everyone's (certainly not everyone's..lol.) liking and that's entirely understandable..:)..but then again I wonder how many "here" could succesfully wear what Mary wore...

The above aside...

Initially, I was actually hoping to see the evening dress she wore to the Sydney State Dinner of '05'.

This is so true and as I said in a previous post, we haven't actually seen the gown in all it's beauty, standing in a pose with the skirt down, (not hooked up against the inclement weather) It is impossible to make a comment about the gown without seeing it in all it's glory.
As Madame Royale states, how many of us would carry off such a gown with such confidence. I wouldn't, thats for sure.:flowers:

Wow! Love the 30's - 40's updo, and would really love to have seen the outfit in all it glory. . . . . . but such is life! :flowers:

Joining the love boat for the outfit here.
It's not 30s-40s though, but definitely an early 20s overall look - very much a 'Lulu' style, the femme fatale character from the Wedekind stage play and later the Louise Brooks silent movie.
It takes guts and sophistication to wear it for this occasion, and Mary certainly has both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom