Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this photo I think that Kate has changed her outfit

Skippy said:
I do think she changed into another dress. The St. Andrews attire was a red coat and skirt with what at least seemed to be a black collar. Plus there were black buttons on her coat.
http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/109425600/WireImage.

For the book signing, I don't see the buttons. And she put a necklace on. http://www.isopix.be/persfotos_photos-de-presse/prince-william-and-kate-middleton-visit-new-zealand-house-14313238-pv.aspx?DDLB_CATALOG=&VIEW_OFFSET=00000004.

You are right- those does appear to be a completly different outfit! Thank you :)

Thank you, Skippy! Learning so much here every day. From the wiki:

"female Sloanes are considered to favour a scruffy ponytail or bun, and most commonly blonde hair held in a massive side parting. dangly ear-rings,sometimes wear sleeveless puff jackets, Jogger bottoms (sometimes even pajama trousers)..."

We have those here too, in SoCal - but I didn't know they had a name. Also says they like Burberry (which I don't think is as popular here). I had noticed the sleeveless puff jackets on several pictures of royals who are out and about doing various things (they can look very fashionable, but one has to have a certain physique to pull it off, I think - a more athletic physique).

It's interesting that Diana didn't share the rural sports love that it is said most Sloanes today have (from the Wiki). I'm still going to have to study more pictures to get a real sense of it, but that article was a big help.

love the red on her, much improved of so many years of bordem from her...she needs to lay off the eye liner though

That's great. The girl goes out, looking wonderful, and gets criticized. Princess Anne has a closet and she gets criticized. Where will it end?

Thats an opinion, not a fact.

I was simply saying that Kate is dressing like someone much older than she is. I wasn't saying that Anne dresses badly.

I thought her outfit yesterday was much nicer for her.

kate looked nice, b ut i am not a fan of her style of dressing. its ordinary.

kate looks wonderful but I'm shocked at how thin she's become.
Let's hope she continues to experiment with her hair.

Nice outfits for Kate for her first engagements. Quite conservative although that is to be expected at the start while she is still gaining confidence in her public appearances. It took the other princesses of the various different countries time to be a bit bolder with their fashion choices.

I liked her hair when it was pulled back - unfortunately when it is loose on a windy day it looks a bit messy but again she will learn what weather suits what styles in time.

I would still like her to tone down the eyeliner but she has made a great start fashion wise and will surely continue to grow and develop her own style as she gets more confident.

Perhaps she still loves heavy metal.:lol: On a serious note, the red suit was very chic. The black coat was nice and simple, nothing special. The military coat she wore the other day was ok but the pheasant's nest on her head was quite tacky and even hilarious. She still has a long way to go, IMO.

Perhaps she still loves heavy metal.:lol: On a serious note, the red suit was very chic. The black coat was nice and simple, nothing special. The military coat she wore the other day was ok but the pheasant's nest on her head was quite tacky and even hilarious. She still has a long way to go, IMO.

Pheasant's nest? That shows that different people can see things in another way. I think it is a funny description and I disagree with the 'tacky' and 'hilarious' part. I find it a very special headpiece, but of course opinions can differ ;).
I think she looked fabulous, both Thursday and Friday - on both events. Splendid in St. Andrews and toned down for the signing.

Last edited:
I'm curious without bringing up a debate can anyone ID the designer of Kate's suit vs Diana's suit. I'm just curious since they look so similar. Obv if you look closely you'll notice the minor details

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185691_1743795087072_1604599491_1711378_5320356_n.jpg

Diana's orange suit is from Versace.

From the Daily Mail article: Kate Middleton and Prince William return to St Andrews where romance started | Mail Online

Miss Middleton was dressed in a red suit with a black velvet belt and black leather gloves while William was wearing a dark blue suit.A Clarence House spokeswoman could not give any details about the suit's designer, saying only that it was an item from Miss Middleton's own wardrobe.

It has been remarked upon on several articles that she probably uses a seamstress that doesn't want to be identified. The coat she wore to Laura Parker-Bowles' wedding:
Photo from Reuters Pictures

and this coat worn to Nicholas van Cutsem's wedding: Kate Middleton Pictures - Royals attend Cutsem wedding - Zimbio

have a unique fabric and the designer/seamstress has never been identified.

Skippy, regarding the pheasant's nest comment, well I meant it to be funny. The only difference is that you liked it whereas I didn't. No big deal, let's agree to disagree.;)

Skippy, regarding the pheasant's nest comment, well I meant it to be funny. The only difference is that you liked it whereas I didn't. No big deal, let's agree to disagree.;)

Yes, I said that I find it a funny description (different people can see different things), I only disagree with the other part. And of course, opinions can vary (as I also said) so let's keep it that way :).

Last edited:
Diana's orange suit is from Versace.

From the Daily Mail article: Kate Middleton and Prince William return to St Andrews where romance started | Mail Online

Miss Middleton was dressed in a red suit with a black velvet belt and black leather gloves while William was wearing a dark blue suit.A Clarence House spokeswoman could not give any details about the suit's designer, saying only that it was an item from Miss Middleton's own wardrobe.

It has been remarked upon on several articles that she probably uses a seamstress that doesn't want to be identified.
Thank you :flowers: Was actually just reading an article right now just prior to entering the thread which also mentioned they would not specify the designer. I find it a little weird but oh well.

Didn't a previous poster note that the feathers in her headpiece, fascinator, have some symbolic meaning to the area they were visiting?

Frelinghighness said:
Didn't a previous poster note that the feathers in her headpiece, fascinator, have some symbolic meaning to the area they were visiting?

Yes I thinking something about Wales- and since William is a Prince of Wales (not the prince of Wales but instead Prince William of Wales- pls don't get mad at me I do realize the difference) or something like that .....

O great she brought back those boots, and can someone tell her please tell her to stop wearing so much dark eyeliner

Catherine's Official Debut Wardrobe

Dear friends:

IMHO, she looked wonderful on both days! I cannot imagine how she could be much more fashion forward and still present an image appropriate to being a royal consort, for that is indeed the role she must/will play for the rest of her life.

I feel that she has nailed her look: modern, chic, elegant, youthful, tasteful.

The one thing many of us agree on is the eyeliner. Today, I saw a photo of Pippa M. at the Northumberland wedding and her eyeliner was similarly applied, perhaps even a little more starkly. A sisterly habit?

i like her eyeliner, shows her nice eyes!

i like her eyeliner, shows her nice eyes!

I see nothing wrong with her eyeliner, it looks very much like I see amongst others in the age group (myself included), I think people just need to get over it!

Truly it seems Kate's style is a bit outdated, yet I'm glad to see at least it's conservative. I can't wait to see her upcoming transformation; she is a very beautiful woman and thus a jewel for any fashion designer.

I think her eyeliner is quite on the heavy side and not very straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid that Kate looked good on both days because it was a slow week. Up close there's still a lot left to be desired. To my discontent, she insists on wearing boots at any length. It is just wrong, she should be wearing nice heels, a la Christian Louboutin. The military-style coat is completely outdated, the red skirt-suit needed a glamorous fascinator and not the previous outfit, the eye make-up is just wrong and connotes origin from the lower masses. It was comforting that she wore gloves, but not enough. At this turning point in her life, I would encourage Miss Middleton to seek her own personal style, instead of poorly copying Princess Diana's style, whose outfits often date back 30 years. Our fashion and style is the product of our personal culture, the best way to express ourselves, and therefore it is very telling of our personal development and aesthetics. The desirable result will not be achieved within a day or two but it is worth trying her best from now on.

:previous:A little harsh I think. The outfits seemed to be appropriate to the events- they weren't state occasions . And why is the wearing of boots so very wrong ?-it's winter/ an outdoor event - I would have thought they were ideal footwear. (Plus she can't be accused of copying Diana - I don't recall seeing her in ankle boots)

Yes I agree a little harsh there but I do wish she would do more with the hair on the first day it was out the her face and the wind the second also would have been better. BUT I do like the style she has, I pretty much dress that way myself and though once considered out fashioned and boring now is chic. ODD. I loved the ankle boots and I love Russell and Bromley.
I thought the red suit was a perfect choice for the day. L;oved the little bow detail.
The black coat for book signing was also a lovely cut and detailing cute.
Thanks for all the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom