On this Day in German Royal/Imperial History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
23rd of June 1356 : Death of Margaret,Dowager Holy Roman Empress and Countess of Hainaut, Holland, and Zeeland.

Margaret was the widow of Ludwig IV and the daughter of Willem I of Hainaut and Jeanne de Valois.
The Empress was also Countess of Hainaut, Holland, and Zeeland in her own right and died at Le Quesnoy.
Her remains were buried beside her parents at the now destroyed Minderbroeders Abbey in Valenciennes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_II,_Countess_of_Hainaut

Margaret_II%2C_Countess_of_Hainau%2C_by_Hendrik_van_Heessel.jpg

On this day, June 28, 1757 - Demise of Sophia Dorothea of Hanover, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, at Monbijau Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, June 29, 1875 - Demise of Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria at Hradcany Palace in Prague, Kingdom of Bohemia

On this day, July 4, 2011 - Demise of Crown Prince Otto of Austria in Pocking, Germany

On this day, July 7, 1683 - Demise of Elisabeth Henriette of Hesse-Kassel, Electoral Princess of Brandenburg, first wife of the future King Friedrich I in Prussia

On this day, July 8, 1827 - Birth of Peter II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg, in Oldenburg, Grand Duchy of Oldenburg

On this day, July 11, 1657 - Birth of Friedrich I, King in Prussia in Konigsberg, Duchy of Prussia

On this day, July 12, 1856 - Birth of Archduchess Gisela of Austria, daughter of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, in Laxenburg, Lower Austria

On this day, July 18, 1712 - Birth of Karl Friedrich, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen in Meiningen, Duchy of Meiningen

On this day, July 19, 1810 - Demise of Luise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen Consort of King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, at Schloss Hohenzieritz in Hohenzieritz, Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, July 26, 1865 - Birth of Marie of Baden, Duchess of Anhalt, wife of Duke Friedrich II of Anhalt, in Baden-Baden, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, June 29, 1875 - Demise of Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria at Hradcany Palace in Prague, Kingdom of Bohemia

At time of his death he was a former monarch having abdicated in 1848 in favour of his nephew, Franz Joseph.
His Empress,Maria Anna of Savoy survived him by 9 years and died in 1884.
Post abdication both Ferdinand and Maria Anna lived in Prague and both are buried side by side at the Imperial Crypt in Vienna.

On this day, August 1, 1817 - Birth of Adolf I, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe in Buckeburg, Principality of Schaumburg-Lippe

On this day, August 3, 1770 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 11, 1863 - Birth of Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein in Dolzig, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 14, 1688 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm I, King of Prussia, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 17, 1887 - Birth of Karl I, Emperor of Austria, at the Castle of Persenbeug in Persenbeug-Gottsdorf, Austria

On this day, August 21, 1858 - Birth of Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria, son of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, at Schloss Laxenburg in Laxenburg, Austria

On this day, August 30, 1813 - Birth of Mathilde Karoline of Bavaria, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Grand Duke Ludwig III of Hesse and by Rhine, in Augusburg, Kingdom of Bavaria

Today in History

Sept 1 The Wedding of Prince Konstantin of Bavaria in 2018

Sept 4 The Wedding of Prince Ernst August of Hanover and Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg in 1951

On this day, September 9, 1826 - Birth of Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden in Karlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, September 10, 1898 - Demise of Empress Elisabeth of Austria in Geneva, Switzerland

On this day, September 19, 1803 - Birth of Maria Anna of Savoy, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria, at the Palazzo Colonna in Rome, Papal States

On this day, September 25, 1744 - Birth of King Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia at the Stadtschloss in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, September 30, 1811 - Birth of Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Empress of Germany, wife of Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany, in Weimar, Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

On this day, October 3, 1970 - Demise of Duchess Viktoria Adelheid of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha at Schloss Greinburg in Grein, Austria

On this day, October 15, 1795 - Birth of King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia at the Crown Prince's Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, October 18, 1921 - Demise of King Ludwig III of Bavaria at Nadasdy Castle in Sarvar, Hungary

October 20th,1139 : Death of Henry X, Duke of Bavaria (Henry the Proud)

Henry was Duke of Bavaria from 1126 to 1138 and also Duke of Saxony from 1137 until his death.
In 1127 he married Gertrude of Süpplingenburg and their sole surviving child was the future Henry XI also know as the Lion who married Matilda of England.
Henry X died suddenly at Quedlinburg and is buried at the mperial Cathedral of Königslutter.
His widow Gertrude acted as Duchess-Regent for their son Henry who was just 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_X,_Duke_of_Bavaria

297px-Wgt_Stifterb%C3%BCchlein_33v.jpg

On this day, November 9, 1907 - Birth of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia at the Marble Palace in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, November 9, 1907 - Birth of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia at the Marble Palace in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

Your are 2 days too early as we still have the 07. November.
And there were many other Events on 09. November like in 1918 the abdication of among other Emperor Wilhelm II.

Last edited:
November 9th ,1312 : Death of Otto III, Duke of Bavaria

Otto III was Duke of Bavaria from 1290 until his death and also briefly King of Hungary and Croatia from 1305 and 1307.
Following his death at Landshut he was buried at the Seligenthal Cistercian Abbey in Bavaria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_III,_Duke_of_Bavaria

522px-Otto_III_of_Bavaria_thurocz.jpg

On this day, November 13, 1801- Birth of Elisabeth Ludovika of Bavaria, Queen Consort of King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia, in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, November 21, 1840 - Birth of Victoria, Princess Royal who became Empress of Germany, at Buckingham Palace in London, England

On this day, November 28, 1811 - Birth of King Maximilian II of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, December 17, 1802 - Birth of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria in Vienna, Austria. He was the father of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria.

:candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane::candycane:

On this day, December 21, 1800 - Birth of Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, wife of Duke Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, in Gotha, Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg

:poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia:

On this day, December 24, 1837 - Birth of Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, January 2, 1784 - Birth of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in Coburg, Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. He is the father-in-law of Queen Victoria of England.

On this day, January 7, 1845 - Birth of Ludwig III, King of Bavaria, in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, January 11, 1571 - Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II granted Austrian nobility freedom of religion

On this day, January 13, 1797 - Demise of Elizabeth Christine of Brunswick-Bevern, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Friedrich II of Prussia, at the Stadtschloss in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 17, 1755 - Birth of Peter I, Grand Duke of Oldenburg in Risenberg, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 24, 1712 - Birth of Friedrich II, King of Prussia at the Berlin City Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, February 3, 1919 - Demise of Maria Theresia of Austria-Este, Queen of Bavaria, spouse of King Ludwig III of Bavaria, at Schloss Wildenwart at Wildenwart, Germany

On this day, February 9, 1873 - Demise of Caroline Augusta of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Franz I of Austria in Vienna, Austria

On this day, February 13, 1991 - Demise of Georg Moritz, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Altenburg, Head of the House of Saxe-Altenburg in Rendsburg, Germany

On this day, March 3, 1778 - Birth of Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen Consort of King Ernst August of Hanover, at the Altes Palais in Hanover, Kingdom of Hanover

On this day, March 6, 1823 - Birth of King Karl I of Wurttemberg in Stuttgart, Kingdom of Wurttemberg

On this day, March 13, 1741 - Birth of Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, April 7, 1816 - Demise of Maria Ludovika of Austria-Este, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at the Palazzo Canossa in Verona, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia

On this day, April 18, 1861 - Birth of Eduard, Duke of Anhalt in Dessau, Duchy of Anhalt

On this day, May 5, 1747 - Birth of Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor in Vienna, Austria

On this day, May 9, 1892 - Birth of Zita of Bourbon-Parma, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Karl I of Austria at the Villa Pianore, Tuscany, Italy

On this day, June 12, 1878 - Demise of King George V of Hanover in Paris, France

On this day, June 14, 1753 - Birth of Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine in Prenzlau, Duchy of Zweibrucken

On this day, June 21, 1818 - Birth of Ernst II, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha at Ehrenburg Palace in Coburg, Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

On this day, July 11, 1657 - Birth of Friedrich I, King in Prussia in Konigsberg, Duchy of Prussia

On this day, July 13, 1608 - Birth of Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor in Graz, Archduchy of Austria

On this day, November 25, 1868 - Birth of Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, Neues Palace in Darmstadt, Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine

On this day, November 28, 1811 - Birth of King Maximilian II of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, December 8, 1708 - Birth of Francis Stephen, Duke of Lorraine, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Holy Roman Emperor at the Ducal Palace of Nancy, Duchy of Lorraine

:xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2:

On this day, December 12, 1801 - Birth of King Johann of Saxony in Dresden, Electorate of Saxony
:xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2::xmastree2:

On this day, December 14, 1787 - Birth of Maria Ludovika of Austria-Este, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Franz I of Austria, in Lombardy, Austrian Empire

:poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia:

On this day, December 15, 1618 - Demise of Anna of Tyrol, Holy Roman Empress, spouse of Matthias, Holy Roman Emperor, in Vienna, Archduchy of Austria

:advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent:

On this day, December 17, 1802 - Birth of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria in Vienna, Austria
:wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath::wreath:

On this day, December 18, 1574 - Birth of Maria Anna of Bavaria, Archduchess of Inner Austria, first wife of the future Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II, in Munich, Duchy of Bavaria

:rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2:

On this day, December 21, 1800 - Birth of Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, spouse of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in Gotha, Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg

:xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell:

On this day, December 24, 1837 - Birth of Elizabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, at the Herzog-Max-Palais in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

:poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia:

On this day, January 14, 1767 - Birth of Maria Theresia of Austria, Queen Consort of King Anton of Saxony, in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, January 20, 1612 - Demise of Rudolph II, Holy Roman Emperor at Prague Castle in Prague, Kingdom of Bohemia

On this day, February 12, 1768 - Birth of Franz I, the last Holy Roman Emperor and the first Emperor of Austria, in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, February 16, 1679 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen in Ichtershausen, Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen

On this day, February 23, 1883 - Birth of Adolf II, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe in Stadthagen, Principality of Schaumburg-Lippe

On this day, February 29, 1868 - Demise of King Ludwig I of Bavaria in Nice, France

On this day, March 20, 1619 - Demise of Matthias, Holy Roman Emperor in Vienna, Austria

On this day, April 10, 1742 - Demise of Wilhelmine Amalie of Brunswick-Luneburg, Holy Roman Empress, spouse of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph I, at the Monastery of the Visitation of Mary in Vienna, Austria

On this day, April 17, 1838, Birth of Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Anhalt, wife of Friedrich I, Duke of Anhalt, in Bamburg, Kingdom of Bavaria

Back
Top Bottom