The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, for somebody whose public life in the UK is just starting out, that statement might be a bit premature. At this stage of the game, Meghan has a lot of goodwill from the public, largely resulting from who she is marrying. Longer term, it will be her royal work in support of the monarch, her charitable endeavours, and, to a lesser extent, her symbolic gestures (for example, largely wearing clothes by British designers) that will allow her to maintain and build on that public support.

Talk about taking small part of what I said out of context. I was talking about the unnecessary and inaccurate stereotyping going on and making it as her choosing us or them. As many have mentioned before, it's not exclusive European or American, and not every European or American follows it. Case in point, HM clearly didn't follow the dark and heavy color for winter this Christmas. It's personal choice. Nothing to do with being European or American.

I love the blush color on her...I love the skirt and her hair/makeup/shoes/clutch. I'm not sure about the blazer ...something is off with the outfit for me..I don't know if it's the blazer style/length or what...I think maybe I'd rather see her wearing more of a shift type of dress (in the sense of not clinging, more straight lined) it would appeal to me more.

LaRae

I take what I said back regarding the hair, just saw more pictures of it.. better than usual but not as good looking as I first thought.
She could have used a few pins to secure some parts in place.

Oohh. Such a lovely colour!

For now, it could probably be excused as it is her first winter here as a working royal, and still probably does not fully understand the season variations in hues and colours that exist in Europe.
I think HM disagrees with you ?

Attachments

• d47828a94a0611462425ef70df3d3a6b.jpg
    d47828a94a0611462425ef70df3d3a6b.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Oh she looks so fresh and lovely. Also, we are seeing a new hairstyle on her - a curly updo with a side part.

better look at the hair

(She really does not seem to think much of seasonal dressing though, haha. Everyone else in black and dark colours and she is again opting for a bright nude/peach monochrome look - very spring, imo.)

Spring? I don't know where she is, but it is winter in the UK

I thought the duchess looked lovely but the outfit was a little on the light side for January in the UK.

For now, it could probably be excused as it is her first winter here as a working royal, and still probably does not fully understand the season variations in hues and colours that exist in Europe.

The Queen has been a working royal for over 70 years and she wears blush pink in winter:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Prince-Philip-boardsa-train-Sandringham.html

and here's another blush pink in winter occasion:
https://www.shutterstock.com/editor...dringham-norfolk-britain-01-feb-2015-4402432y

Edited to add that the Countess of Wessex has worn a peachy pink to church at Sandringham in winter as has the Queen Mother. Several of the working royals have also worn cream/beige/nude coloured coats & outfits in winter.

Last edited:
The Queen does a lot of things with her clothing that no one else does--although Camilla comes close. In her public life she wears bright or easily seen colors. She wears coats with dresses over them even in the middle of summer. She wears acid green and the same shoes and purse with every outfit. I don't think cherry-picking a few of Her Majesty's outfits proves anything one way or the other, since I also don't see Meghan or any of the young royal women emulating her in those other ways.

It's a difference of opinion: some people think Meghan's clothing looks unseasonal, some don't. No one is wrong. This is exactly the kind of thing that has gotten threads shut down in the past.

What a lovely look. You really don’t need to wear dark colours in winter. Thank goodness for people who don’t follow general expectations.

I don’t understand her hair. People always defend Meghan saying it’s supposed to look messy but what does that even mean?

The Queen does a lot of things with her clothing that no one else does--although Camilla comes close. In her public life she wears bright or easily seen colors. She wears coats with dresses over them even in the middle of summer. She wears acid green and the same shoes and purse with every outfit. I don't think cherry-picking a few of Her Majesty's outfits proves anything one way or the other, since I also don't see Meghan or any of the young royal women emulating her in those other ways.

It's a difference of opinion: some people think Meghan's clothing looks unseasonal, some don't. No one is wrong. This is exactly the kind of thing that has gotten threads shut down in the past.

Of course differences of opinion about seasonal preferences are OK & no-one is wrong in their opinion. However, what I was responding to was a post about Meghan as a new 'working royal' not understanding seasonal variations in colour in Europe. I think showing examples from the oldest, senior 'working royal' wardrobe refutes that point.

Meghan looked beautiful today. Normally I would prefer her to mix and match her colours but we've been so used to seeing her in black and dark shades of blue that I'm welcoming this outfit.

Of course differences of opinion about seasonal preferences are OK & no-one is wrong in their opinion. However, what I was responding to was a post about Meghan as a new 'working royal' not understanding seasonal variations in colour in Europe. I think showing examples from the oldest, senior 'working royal' wardrobe refutes that point.

I always find using the queen as an example to refute or support something in regards to other royals women odd... she’s the queen- the head of state, what she does and wear has vastly different importance and reasoning behind it than of the other royal women.. most of all the wife of the man who is 6th in line and is no longer even the spare.
So it’s a very odd comparisons I use, IMO.

I always find using the queen as an example to refute or support something in regards to other royals women odd... she’s the queen- the head of state, what she does and wear has vastly different importance and reasoning behind it than of the other royal women.. most of all the wife of the man who is 6th in line and is no longer even the spare.
So it’s a very odd comparisons I use, IMO.

I don’t find it odd at all. I expect that the higher you are in the pecking order, the stricter the rule. So why is it acceptable for the Queen, but not others? Because she is the head of state, I expect her to follow far more rules in conducting herself than anyone else.

I don’t understand her hair. People always defend Meghan saying it’s supposed to look messy but what does that even mean?

Why even raise this? Her hair is very controlled today..nothing loose and down.

LaRae

How is her hair messy? I find people just throw that term out just to do it.

She looks smashing in that color doesn't matter it may not suit the weather it suit her complex perfectly and that what matter,the outfit it self is lovely but the dress is too tigh i agree she needs some maternity dresses.
Hair and make up are perfect she is glowing.

Spendid outfit ! And the shoes are to die for ! Picture of beauty !

I thought winter white, beige, icy blue and blush pink were the light winter colors, especially in the after Christmas winter months.

She looks lovely. She choses colors she likes. Black is, always, acceptable. Navy, beige. She likes neutral shade. That's her business. Where is it written it is the wrong color for the season.

The Queen has been a working royal for over 70 years and she wears blush pink in winter:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Prince-Philip-boardsa-train-Sandringham.html

and here's another blush pink in winter occasion:
https://www.shutterstock.com/editor...dringham-norfolk-britain-01-feb-2015-4402432y

Edited to add that the Countess of Wessex has worn a peachy pink to church at Sandringham in winter as has the Queen Mother. Several of the working royals have also worn cream/beige/nude coloured coats & outfits in winter.

Lily, don't you know that is too much logical thinking. :whistling:

Everything Meghan does is either too American, or too Hollywood. If another royal does it, well 'that's an exception' or 'its only on a rare occasion'. Like you know sunglasses in winter. Light colors in January. Black to an event other then a funeral. Wearing a foreign designer. All just Meghan's breaking rules. You will never see any of the other royal ladies criticized for the same thing, even the same day or week.

Sophie and the queen had a lapse in judgement certainly.

I thought winter white, beige, icy blue and blush pink were the light winter colors, especially in the after Christmas winter months.

Yes, at least in most fashion circles. There are colors in both light and dark range for the season.

There is also the more modern idea of dressing for 'your season'. The hues/colors that suit your skin tone, eyes and hair. And not dressing for the physical season.

Last edited:
Good hairstyle on her, the side part is flattering. Love the color of the ensemble and the skirt length is the perfect one for her legs

I would normally not like that color, but it looks great on her. As for the dress, I wonder if she gets a big size, then has someone take them apart and put them back together.

Wearing seasonal colours, I think, is more important when considering the occasion rather than the temperature...
Red, berries, green, gold are often around Christmas.
Not white or black for weddings
Black, darker tones for funerals.
White for a baptism etc.
Though these ideas are not manditory they are often adhered to.
I've never noticed the royals habitually wearing colours to suit the weather.

Meghan, in the two piece outfit of the same blush pink looks elegant and gorgeous.
I think the media are super sensitive to what she wears because they want something to write about.
Meghan is news.

I think seasonal dressing is not only about colour but also the material, texture, accessories, the whole combination etc. Beige actually is a quite flexible colour. Does her outfit look "winter" to me? No, not really. But does it look "spring" or "summer" or "autumn" to me? Also no, as it is so neutral to me. I can imagine it being worn in any season (probably not summer, probably will overheat).

(But I think I have no right to say anything about seasonal dressing, as a person who come from a place where has no big weather change and winter clothing sometimes actually can be too much in winter:lol:)

I loved the outfit. The colour complimented her so well, her hair was styled really well. A really great choice of clothes.

No matter who is wearing it, if the navel pops out, it’s too tight.

How is her hair messy? I find people just throw that term out just to do it.

I thought a messy bun was an updo with some hair loose. You know, the kind that doesn't look like a helmet with every hair in place. So to me it's not just a term people throw around. It makes perfect sense.

No matter who is wearing it, if the navel pops out, it’s too tight.

The navel can pop out even with loose clothing. It all depends on the thickness of the fabric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom