The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looked lovely last night and all day, today. The Mavens who want more jewelry might take a hint from Chanel. And if British Designers need a shill, they should hire one. It is her body and life, she can wears what she wants.

LOL! So funny!:lol:;)

Seriously...from someone who just doesn't pay much attention to the BRF anymore, I caught a glimpse of Meghan on TV and she is looking beautiful beyond belief.

I don't know if it's the extra pounds or the famous "pregnancy glow", but she looks AMAZING.

Last edited:
Both her poppies don't look British. Is it Canadian version?

Scottish poppies have four petals. Although I don't think others are all wearing British poppies either? I think the British poppies are two petals, but I've seen five petals on multiple people.

Canadian poppies have four petals as well, but given the location, I would think Scottish poppies are easier to procure than Canadian ones.

ETA: I'm pretty certain it's Scottish now. This picture showed it much better than some other photos. Canadian poppy has one layer for the petals.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrwBrx-X4AAalxH.jpg:large

Last edited:
I disliked the hat on her, unflattering. And she could have worn more jewelry. The coat was simply ok

It certainly looks like Givenchy's current aesthetic!

I was thinking her evening outfit designer may be the same as the one for the CW youth reception given how similar it is. So perhaps prada?

Agree with you on both fronts.

Scottish poppies have four petals. Although I don't think others are all wearing British poppies either? I think the British poppies are two petals, but I've seen five petals on multiple people.

Canadian poppies have four petals as well, but given the location, I would think Scottish poppies are easier to procure than Canadian ones.

ETA: I'm pretty certain it's Scottish now. This picture showed it much better than some other photos. Canadian poppy has one layer for the petals.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrwBrx-X4AAalxH.jpg:large
There are different kinds of poppies???
I never knew.
Why?

Are we counting petals on flowers now as to whom wore more then the other......:whistling::ohmy:???

I liked how Meghan looked at all the events. Perhaps her Fijian pearl necklace would have lifted the look at the Cenotaph.

A decent [ie VISIBLE] pair of earrings would have helped at the cenotaph , but I love the shoulder detail..

Are we counting petals on flowers now as to whom wore more then the other......:whistling::ohmy:???

Who said anything about who wore more petals than other? I merely noted the different types of poppies worn after someone asked about Meghan’s poppies being different.

Last edited:
I liked both her looks....I would like to see a touch more bling (brooch, larger earrings) but I know she's probably not going to go that direction for most events.

Still nothing on designers (and I saw someone pointed out we may never know who the designers are unless someone recognizes it from a collection etc).

LaRae

Still nothing on designers (and I saw someone pointed out we may never know who the designers are unless someone recognizes it from a collection etc).

LaRae

That’s correct. KP, or whoever the host royal’s office, typically would release the information on designer of the dress and hat. The rest are up to the blogs (bags and shoes and so on). However, they don’t do so for Remembrance events. Nothing was released on Meghan’s ANZAC Day outfits either, entirely relied on the blogs. Usually they are pretty quick in identifying things that are available to the public. However, if they are bespoken, no such luck.

Yeah I checked Meghan's Mirror etc this morning and no one has anything on her outfits.

LaRae

Yes, it is beginning to seem a bit like a comfort blanket, and I also agree that the criticism will mount. For events of national importance the ladies of the BRF are careful to wear British designers for the most part. Meghan consistently choosing not to just highlights her separateness, and feeds into the hostile narrative that she's more of a celebrity than someone who is embracing becoming a member of the BRF. The fact that she was able to achieve a nice mix of local, British and foreign designers for the highly successful Australia/New Zealand/Tonga/Fiji tour shows that she understands the importance of symbolic dressing, she's just choosing not to do it while at home. And she should, it's part of the job, like it or not.

I will also add that I think there's room for a diversity of opinion on this and every other thread on TRF without posters who voice unpopular opinions being piled on as though there is one indisputable, agreed upon truth.

Very well put.

Meghan demonstrated that she can get the mix right between British, local and international fashion brands, as she did on the Australasia tour. What the clothing on that tour also demonstrated was that she understands the sensitivities around these issues. This is what makes it all the more difficult to understand as to why, in the UK, she cannot display that sensitivity and understanding.

There has been some commentary about the giving her time to settle into her new royal role and the “security blanket” of tried and tested designers. I could not agree more. That is why I never comments about the colour or frankly, the style of her clothes. My view is that she will find a style that works for her as a working royal, and she should be given the space to do so.

As regards comfort with certain designers, her relationship with Givenchy is less than a year old, it really is not a long established relationship.

I also agree with your point about there being negative commentary come what may. Every royal lady has faced that: Camilla, Sophie, Catherine, Anne. They all start off with a thin skin, but eventually learn to ignore it and focus on their work, and their royal role.

I liked both outfits. She is in that weird phase where she is not quite ready for full on maternity clothes because she can still fit into pre pregnancy items she currently wears though how she wears it is very different. I suspect that will shift very soon because her body has noticeably changed.

Last edited:

Today's argument and the flamed up fans-and-haters discussion have been deleted. We don't need to discuss how to discuss, it goes without saying that we do so civilized and understanding towards each other. Please remain on topic of this thread, further off topic and offensive posts will be deleted without notice.

LaRae

Information on clothes/designers are not released for the Remembrance Service.

I liked how Meghan looked at all the events. Perhaps her Fijian pearl necklace would have lifted the look at the Cenotaph.
A great suggestion Tarlita. That is a lovely new acquisition for Meghan and I would love to see it on her in the near future.:flowers:

It's lovely, hope we see it again.

LaRae

Meghan looked great at the Cenotaph - very elegant and sophisticated. As for the discussion on the designers, whilst it would be nice to see more British brands from Meghan in public, I agree very much with those who say that Givenchy is, for now, a "security blanket" whilst she's settling down into royal life and her new marriage. After all, she's only been an official member of the BRF since May so she still has a lot of learning and time. I believe that towards the later half of next year we may start to see Meghan be more adventurous with her choice of designers or as soon as she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings.

Pearl necklace

A great suggestion Tarlita. That is a lovely new acquisition for Meghan and I would love to see it on her in the near future.:flowers:

Yes that Fijian pearl necklace would have looked great breaking up the all black ensemble. I am a little dissappointed really that she didn't take this opportunity to wear it.

I must be the only one that’s not crazy about the Fijian necklace. Especially with a dark outfit. I wouldn’t mind if Meghan doesn’t pull those out for a few years. Pearls have always struck me as matronly. It’s one thing for the small pearl earrings she received from The Queen, it’s another for a full on pearl necklace.

Pearls when done right can look fresh. But paired with the somber look, woukd definitely be aging. Certainly more matronly then Meghan's style.

I prefer she didn't wear anything but earrings. The ficus should be on the poppy and event. This was an event that less is more.

The navy skirted suit was a little too much in the bodice for her height and body shape to handle. All those buttons and the belt were too much interest crammed in. I also disliked the neckline. It would have been better in another color, burgundy, or hunter green but navy is so boring, so reminiscent of uniforms. Also, either the belt or the buttons, not both

Love Duchess Meghan’s sartorial choices! Excellent choices for the morning & evening ceremony, elegant & good for the occasion. I know that she has always loved her neutral colours & she looks gorgeous in navy too.

Well, truth be told, Meghan has renewed my interest in navy and my winter and now summer wardrobe reflects that. What we wear often signals how we feel. At the moment Meghan is going through so many changes and almost all of her friends are on the other side of the Atlantic. It is hardly surprising that she trends toward people who have made her look and feel good.

I don't think we can underestimate the relationship she has built with CWK as she has dressed Meghan in such a way that the only complaint many have had is that the fashion house is not British. As to her trademark Aquazaura pumps, I think they are definitely her go-to shoes and make her feel good when wearing them. Heavens, I feel good just seeing her wear them.

This last weekend was IMO a sartorial win and I am interested to see what her actual "Maternity" style will be.

Are we assuming Meghan wore her black Aquazzura heels? The ones she wore looked blue to me.

I must be the only one that’s not crazy about the Fijian necklace. Especially with a dark outfit. I wouldn’t mind if Meghan doesn’t pull those out for a few years. Pearls have always struck me as matronly. It’s one thing for the small pearl earrings she received from The Queen, it’s another for a full on pearl necklace.

I think she could make it work but not with that Givenchy outfit, particularly not with that neckline and button right near the top. Most I could see is perhaps a brooch or larger earrings. But I've really come to appreciate how beautiful she still looks with her minimalist style and taste in jewelry.

With Meghan, I get the distinct feeling that she's dressing more to blend into the event that she's at rather than stand out. Its almost as if she doesn't want her clothing choices to be a prime focus. This tells me that she's a woman comfortable in her own skin and doesn't need page after page centered on her fashion sense, her mannerisms or her demeanor. She's more in line of putting her focus on what she's trying to do than to dress to make the front pages.

We may like or dislike what she's wearing on a certain day but that's our own personal tastes being reflected. Her fashions do not in any way reflect on the job she's doing or how she goes about her life day to day. Its those aspects that I think Meghan, herself, is more concerned with. ?

Back
Top Bottom