The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And the issue is not going away any time soon by the looks of it. More Givenchy!

Only speculation from DM, who is oh so reliable.

And, if it’s Givenchy, it CWK, who last I check is a Brit and lives in Britain.

The Givenchy issues baffles me as Meghan fans praised her for wearing Australian designers down under But excuse her continued use of French couture in Britain.

A very much pointed out that one of the designers she wore is an Australian but based in Paris. Australians happily claims, apparently not the Brits! If you dare to work for anyone else, you are on your own even if you are still British citizen and you and your family live in Britain!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Meghan looked very smart for the service at WA. Nice to see the whole of her outfit. I even liked the buttons and the hat. Good look!

Before the usual posters derail this thread starting another back and forth about foreign designers, there has been no confirmation about the designers of any of Meghan's Remembrance outfits except for the recycled Stella McCartney coat.

I have seen this morning's coat stated as probably Givency by the DF and Stella McCartney by the Meghan's Mirror website.

So clearly nobody knows as yet.

http://meghansmirror.com/royal-style/meghan-commemorates-remembrance-sunday-2018/

Last edited:
DM are reporting that the coat is from Givenchy.

Clearly British fashion is still not good enough for Meghan when attending such an important national event or standing next to the partner of the President of Germany!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6376987/Meghan-Kate-pay-respects-Cenotaph.html

Clearly I'm missing something. It's a coat not an act of treason. She has formed a relationship with a designer and turns to her for certain items. I don't see how that means that British designers are not good enough for her. ?

DM are reporting that the coat is from Givenchy.

Clearly British fashion is still not good enough for Meghan when attending such an important national event or standing next to the partner of the President of Germany!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6376987/Meghan-Kate-pay-respects-Cenotaph.html

And other sources are saying Stella McCartney. Before be bring out the pitchforks, let's wait for official confirmation, and NO, the DM does not have official confirmation.

It certainly looks like Givenchy's current aesthetic!

I was thinking her evening outfit designer may be the same as the one for the CW youth reception given how similar it is. So perhaps prada?

Before the usual posters derail this thread starting another back and forth about foreign designers, there has been no confirmation about the designers of any of Meghan's Remembrance outfits except for the recycled Stella McCartney coat.

I have seen this morning's coat stated as probably Givency by the DF and Stella McCartney by the Meghan's Mirror website.

So clearly nobody knows as yet.

Meghan commemorates Remembrance Sunday 2018
They won’t ever release details of outfits for Remembrance. Which I agree with. So it’s either up to the websites or if previously worn. The only reason I knew so early on about the Stella McCartney is because it was identified for Cardiff.

Yep, looks like Givenchy and Prada to me.

And other sources are saying Stella McCartney. Before be bring out the pitchforks, let's wait for official confirmation, and NO, the DM does not have official confirmation.

No need for pitchforks either way. I understand if some would like her to wear more British designers but she isn't obligated to and if it were really an issue, I am sure the experienced Samantha Cohen would have advised her to make some changes. But I'll assume she hasn't and this is just an issue among some royal watchers.

One thing I would like to see her change at this point is the Deneuve pumps. I get why she loves them, but come on Meghan. :lol:

If Givenchy is the 'comfort blanket' the Duchess needs during her first year or so as a member of the BRF, I have no problem, but I hope she will branch out and find other UK designers eventually. Otherwise the criticism WILL mount..

If Givenchy is the 'comfort blanket' the Duchess needs during her first year or so as a member of the BRF, I have no problem, but I hope she will branch out and find other UK designers eventually. Otherwise the criticism WILL mount..

Yes, it is beginning to seem a bit like a comfort blanket, and I also agree that the criticism will mount. For events of national importance the ladies of the BRF are careful to wear British designers for the most part. Meghan consistently choosing not to just highlights her separateness, and feeds into the hostile narrative that she's more of a celebrity than someone who is embracing becoming a member of the BRF. The fact that she was able to achieve a nice mix of local, British and foreign designers for the highly successful Australia/New Zealand/Tonga/Fiji tour shows that she understands the importance of symbolic dressing, she's just choosing not to do it while at home. And she should, it's part of the job, like it or not.

I will also add that I think there's room for a diversity of opinion on this and every other thread on TRF without posters who voice unpopular opinions being piled on as though there is one indisputable, agreed upon truth.

I suspect Meghan will continue to wear Genchy and I don't see the problem with that. Just as there doesn't seem to be a problem with Kate having one or two favorite designers. I'm all for Meghan branching out and I don't doubt that she will. But she should continue to wear Givenchy if she likes.

And frankly, the only criticism I see is on this forum and perhaps in the DM (I don't read the DM so I wouldn't know.) I don't foresee this being some big issue.

Last edited:
Yes, it is beginning to seem a bit like a comfort blanket, and I also agree that the criticism will mount. For events of national importance the ladies of the BRF are careful to wear British designers for the most part. Meghan consistently choosing not to just highlights her separateness, and feeds into the hostile narrative that she's more of a celebrity than someone who is embracing becoming a member of the BRF. The fact that she was able to achieve a nice mix of local, British and foreign designers for the highly successful Australia/New Zealand/Tonga/Fiji tour shows that she understands the importance of symbolic dressing, she's just choosing not to do it while at home. And she should, it's part of the job, like it or not.

I will also add that I think there's room for a diversity of opinion on this and every other thread on TRF without posters who voice unpopular opinions being piled on as though there is one indisputable, agreed upon truth.
Honestly, if she wears British for everything for every event she shows up to, it won’t stop people from being hostile or calling her a celebrity. And if clothing is indication of embracing being a member of BRF or not, that’s pretty sad. She has shown she’s embraced that with the work she’s already done.

One thing I would like to see her change at this point is the Deneuve pumps. I get why she loves them, but come on Meghan. :lol:

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing earlier, she has props for re-wearing the same shoes!

Last edited:
People need to grasp the concept that supporting British fashion doesn't simply mean wearing British labels. But supporting Brirish talent. Some royals may take the old fashioned view that you only support British labels. Some have joined the modern concept of a global market, and supporting British talent on the global level. Neither is wrong.

I actually find it refreshing Meghan does both. She wears British labels. She wears labels with British designers. And considering her and Harry role in the commonwealth, also a mix of commonwealth designers. All important. :flowers:

People will throw pitch forks no matter what. Notice not one complaint Kaye wore a French designer to the festival.

And we have no confirmation on the designer of either today's looks.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing earlier, at the moment and has prop for re-wearing the same shoes so often!

Well, at the rate she’s wearing them, at least we won’t be seeing them in 40 years like some of Princess Anne’s clothing. And before anyone jumps on me, I think it’s wonderful that Anne still can wear something after so long, but geez, that’s some serious storing! :lol:

Honestly, if she wears British for everything for every event she shows up to, it won’t stop people from being hostile or calling her a celebrity. And if clothing is indication of embracing being a member of BRF or not, that’s pretty sad. She has shown she’s embraced that with the work she’s already done.

Too true that there are some people who will be hostile to Meghan no matter what she does. It shouldn't be that way, but it is, just as there are still those in the UK who loathe and resent Camilla, and Catherine. Both of them present a model that Meghan could do a lot worse than to emulate. Both ladies faced really vicious articles from the tabloid media (and still do on occasion). They both learned to do their work, show up when expected, and offer as few targets for criticism as possible, including showcasing UK clothing. By doing that they kept the story, for the most part, on the cause and events they were highlighting.

Catherine also mixes in plenty of foreign brands, but because she is careful about where and when she wears those, the criticism of her on that head has been fairly muted. When mainstream media such as the Times and I think the Telegraph (please correct me if that is wrong) print criticism or negative stories about Meghan it is not a bad idea to take notice. A certain amount of negative press is inevitable, but wearing a British brand to the big public events shouldn't be that tough, and it would go a long way to shut off at least one area of criticism.

I like the style and cut of the coat this morning, especially the shoulder detail, and I think Meghan looked fine in the two-piece outfit for the Westminster Abbey service later in the evening. I particularly like the wide neckline on her top this evening, that is a combination of boatneck, and scoop-like square.

This morning, I didn't care as much for the small pillbox-style hat put together with the styling of the coat, but for the evening two-piece outfit, I think the black beret, speculated to be by Stephen Jones, is just right.

Scroll down on this page for a nice photo of the Fab Four standing together in Westminster Abbey:
Mad About Meghan

These somber-related events are right up Meghan's seemingly preferred dark-colored attire alley.

Too true that there are some people who will be hostile to Meghan no matter what she does. It shouldn't be that way, but it is, just as there are still those in the UK who loathe and resent Camilla, and Catherine. Both of them present a model that Meghan could do a lot worse than to emulate. Both ladies faced really vicious articles from the tabloid media (and still do on occasion). They both learned to do their work, show up when expected, and offer as few targets for criticism as possible, including showcasing UK clothing. By doing that they kept the story, for the most part, on the cause and events they were highlighting.

... When mainstream media such as the Times and I think the Telegraph (please correct me if that is wrong) print criticism or negative stories about Meghan it is not a bad idea to take notice. A certain amount of negative press is inevitable, but wearing a British brand to the big public events shouldn't be that tough, and it would go a long way to shut off at least one area of criticism.

Meghan has seriously been a leading sartorial royal role model in making sure the focus is squarely on the causes, people and events that she and Harry are advocating for and highlighting. It just seems important for the tabloids and for some observers to nitpick endlessly about the designers she wears and/or car doors she shuts, or anything else they can drum up, such as fabricated 'tiara drama.' ?

Catherine also mixes in plenty of foreign brands, but because she is careful about where and when she wears those, the criticism of her on that head has been fairly muted. When mainstream media such as the Times and I think the Telegraph (please correct me if that is wrong) print criticism or negative stories about Meghan it is not a bad idea to take notice. A certain amount of negative press is inevitable, but wearing a British brand to the big public events shouldn't be that tough, and it would go a long way to shut off at least one area of criticism.

I think criticism will always be there. If not the designer, then the cost and so on. I don't think it'll ever end no matter what she does until someone newer comes along. And unfortunately for her, all senior royals that are of age have married before Harry. And here is the thing, it's one thing to have some constructive criticism, it's another thing for posters to come in here and make some comment about her feeling that British fashion isn't good enough for her after her comments on her wedding dress. She was very clear, the first condition she had was that it had to be a British designer. Some can disagree with the approach she takes to showcase British talent, but some of the comments that flat out accuse her of feeling superior are simply wrong and uncalled for. And those people will be upset at her no matter what in the long run.

And I disagree that Kate's strategy has kept the story on her events or causes. In fact, I've always felt that clothing was the front story for her. I actually think Meghan, having toned down a lot of things related to her clothing, does a much better job at that.

Last edited:
i like both of Meghan outfit today she looks simple but very elegant
the hats on the other hand is a no from me.

i like both of Meghan outfit today she looks simple but very elegant
the hats on the other hand is a no from me.

You know, this hat thing is funny. Typically, I would think the smaller fascinators and berets are for transitional when someone is just starting and not used to hats. She seems to have the opposite problem. I don't ever think I've felt any awkwardness of her wearing full sized hats. I've always thought they look very suited for her. Whereas I don't think the berets and fascinators are as friendly to her. The morning hat would've been better even if as a pillbox hat. Surprisingly, I think it's velvet and I actually like it better than if it was just typical material.

Last edited:
Meghan, as I said months before she married, has since her engagement and marriage, always made a practice of downplaying a focus on her clothes, because attention will always be there. She's been very smart about putting a focus on sustainable brands and small local manufacturers as we know (Outland Denim; Huit Denim, to name two). She's also been exploring ways to meld her own style with the demands of her new royal role. As is normal, there have been some hits and misses, but the uber-petty critiques of which designers she wears are lame and old by this point. It's just a handy battering ram for some.

(..)

Meghan looked appropriate and very pleasant on both occasions today.
I liked her dress styles and colours and her hats. It's not a mistake to wear a small hat on Remembrance Day and to make the poppy the splash of note.

Focus is not really on her which is how it should be.

Meghan's lack of jewellery makes her look severe especially with this style of coat. She could at least have worn the diamond and pearl earrings that were a gift from the Queen. And is there not a brooch available that she could have borrowed to pin her poppy?
I love this severe, almost military coat and her hat definitely has its genus in the Women's Royal Air Force. All th0se years later I wore the women's' cap for twenty years so yes, bow notwithstanding, that forward cap made me misty-eyed.

Meghan's ensemble for the WA was perfect. I loved the cut and colour of the dress and the beret styled hat which was her touch of colour since it seems to have more than a hint of purple or was that magenta or mulberry . . .

Both her poppies don't look British. Is it Canadian version?

She looked lovely last night and all day, today. The Mavens who want more jewelry might take a hint from Chanel. And if British Designers need a shill, they should hire one. It is her body and life, she can wears what she wants.

She looked lovely last night and all day, today. The Mavens who want more jewelry might take a hint from Chanel. And if British Designers need a shill, they should hire one. It is her body and life, she can wears what she wants.

:flowers:

:lol: ;)

Back
Top Bottom