The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It's certainly what was said at the time, but that was when there was still a lot of hostility towards Camilla from Diana superfans, and also when acceptance of divorcees marrying into the Royal Family was still a moot point.

Times have changed since then, and IMHO Camilla should be known as Queen when the time comes, but I don't see why the issue's being raised now. And what's with that "when the Queen steps down" headline. The Queen isn't stepping down.

I don't see what the problem is. The title of "Princess of Wales" was closely associated with Diana, especially as there hadn't been a previous Princess of Wales since 1936, and it would have been awkward for Camilla to use that, but there's no reason she shouldn't be known as Queen. I think it'd be very insulting if she wasn't: it'd be suggesting that she had some sort of second class status. Marriages end. People remarry. It was all a long time ago.
There actually hadn't been a Princess of Wales since 1910 when George V became King. Although Edward VIII was Prince of Wales he didn't have a Princess and so prior to Diana the previous Princess of Wales was Queen Mary.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
people will become familiar with it quite quickly. The public isn't going to erect barricades & storm the palace.
I think the Accession Council [held in the first 24 hours of the new Kings reign], is CRUCIAL in this.. if [along with his Regnal name], Camilla is proclaimed Queen, then the nation [in mourning] will unquestionably swing fully behind the bereaved King and Queen, and the rest of the Royal family.
And it will be [irrevocably] done.
No doubt all of this has been exhaustively discussed, examined 'with a fine tooth-comb' and already decided upon..

But we won't know what decision has been made until that day

Old 03-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Majesty

I think they will go with the conservative option... I did think she mght be named as queen but in latter years Im not so sure.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-crowned.html

Clarence House said: 'The intention is for The Duchess to be known as Princess Consort when The Prince accedes to the throne.'
The article has disappeared. The link only goes to the Femail page and not to a specific article.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There actually hadn't been a Princess of Wales since 1910 when George V became King. Although Edward VIII was Prince of Wales he didn't have a Princess and so prior to Diana the previous Princess of Wales was Queen Mary.
Sorry, total brain fail - put it down to it being Sunday night! Yes, if Edward had had a Princess of Wales, history would have been very different .

I agree that they should just proclaim Camilla Queen when the time comes. There's hardly going to be a revolution over it.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I think the Accession Council [held in the first 24 hours of the new Kings reign], is CRUCIAL in this.. if [along with his Regnal name], Camilla is proclaimed Queen, then the nation [in mourning] will unquestionably swing fully behind the bereaved King and Queen, and the rest of the Royal family.
And it will be [irrevocably] done.
No doubt all of this has been exhaustively discussed, examined 'with a fine tooth-comb' and already decided upon..

But we won't know what decision has been made until that day
I agree it's crucial to proclaim her Queen from the start. They need to be brave & just do it. Any objections are pure nonsense. We are a nation that now has a twice divorced Prime Minister with an indeterminate number of offspring and another on the way via his much younger girlfriend (now fiancee). Anyone becoming agitated over a once divorced Queen Consort needs to loosen up with some yoga (or pour themselves a large G&T).
Old 03-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thumbs up

Its my belief that the way things are now, the moment Charles becomes King, Camilla becomes Queen, it will be that if Camilla is to be known as something other than Queen Consort, that is what would need to be proclaimed at the time.

Bear with me if you see unusual things in my posts such as the "thumbs up" in the header. My system died and I'm on a still unfamiliar laptop that has a mind of its own at times.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:26 AM
Serene Highness

If Camilla is to be styled as Princess Consort, then IMO set the precedent that the spouses of the monarch should be Prince/Princess Consort going forward. I realize that the way a royal family operates is the opposite of egalitarianism, but what's good for the gander should be good for the goose as well.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenPenny View Post
If Camilla is to be styled as Princess Consort, then IMO set the precedent that the spouses of the monarch should be Prince/Princess Consort going forward. I realize that the way a royal family operates is the opposite of egalitarianism, but what's good for the gander should be good for the goose as well.
Not necessarily. If that were the case then Kate would become Duchess of Cornwall when Charles becomes King. I think she and W will be Pr and Pss of Wales
Old 03-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO when Charles becomes King people will be so shaken by Queen Elisabeth passing that they won't be really interested about the subject of Camilla's title.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

For Camilla to not be known as Queen Camilla, would require an act of parliament. Which would I imagine only be for her, not future consorts such as Catherine.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is also the little bug in the rug that says that wives/consorts take the female equivalent of their husband's titles. For Camilla to be a Princess Consort, there is no "prince" title that Charles will hold as king to take it from. It may end up being that Charles, as monarch using his will and his pleasure, will create Camilla a Princess of the UK in her own right similar to how the Queen did with Philip in 1957.

This "princess consort" stuff can turn out to be tricky.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Serene Highness

Camilla will be Queen come what may, it's just a question of whether she'll be known as the Princess Consort - just as she's now Princess of Wales, but known as the Duchess of Cornwall. I can't see any way that Kate won't be Queen Catherine. Apart from anything else, it'd look like lowering the status of the British monarchy in relation to other monarchies, saying that she had a lower status than Queen Maxima, Queen Letizia and, by then, probably Queen Mette-Marit and Queen Mary.

If they hadn't said anything in 2005 … but, OK, it seemed sensible at the time. But it's not set in legislation anywhere, and people are allowed to change their minds. It's also very difficult to discuss what's going to happen when … , because no-one really wants to talk about death.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Majesty

The notion that Camilla will be "punished" and denied her legal title Queen as a penance is nauseating and will forever be a stain on the BRF.

We are constantly being told that the BRF will not be dictated to or placate the squeaky wheel, but the media has kept this ill-thought out well and truly to the forefront and is it happens I have no doubt the rest of Charles life will be spent reading horrendous headlines about his mother's in Christian spite and his lack of backbone.

And then of course there is the small matter of Camilla (and Sophie, Catherine and Meghan) not being a Princess of the UK. They are either born of the BRF or are so titled by their own Royal House as were Princess Alice and Princess Marina.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Gentry

I hope it will be Queen Camilla. I really like her alot.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The notion that Camilla will be "punished" and denied her legal title Queen as a penance is nauseating and will forever be a stain on the BRF.

We are constantly being told that the BRF will not be dictated to or placate the squeaky wheel, but the media has kept this ill-thought out well and truly to the forefront and is it happens I have no doubt the rest of Charles life will be spent reading horrendous headlines about his mother's in Christian spite and his lack of backbone.

And then of course there is the small matter of Camilla (and Sophie, Catherine and Meghan) not being a Princess of the UK. They are either born of the BRF or are so titled by their own Royal House as were Princess Alice and Princess Marina.
Charles won’t let “it” happen - Camilla not being Queen. He didn’t cave to pressure to give her up, he didn’t listen to public opinion, he even essentially defied his parents. All this media blather, as if there’s a debate, as if it’s up for grabs, is moot.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Charles won’t let “it” happen - Camilla not being Queen. He didn’t cave to pressure to give her up, he didn’t listen to public opinion, he even essentially defied his parents. All this media blather, as if there’s a debate, as if it’s up for grabs, is moot.
if CHarles "wont let it happen" how come he agreed to a statement on his website that she would be knonwn as Princess Consort?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
CHarles "wont let it happen" how come he agreed to a statement on his website that she would be known as Princess Consort?
'Realpolitik'.. because THEN it was the only way to get the marriage 'past the public' - NOW things are different, even 'die hard' Dianaphiles are markedly less rabid toward Camilla, and the majority see clearly she is a 'good Woman', and [especially] good for the Prince of Wales..
Old 03-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
If Camilla is to be styled as Princess Consort, then IMO set the precedent that the spouses of the monarch should be Prince/Princess Consort going forward.
Similar thought. Probably not their intention but maybe things end up going into that direction.

IMO Camilla definitely deserves the "Queen" title.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
'Realpolitik'.. because THEN it was the only way to get the marriage 'past the public' - NOW things are different, even 'die hard' Dianaphiles are markedly less rabid toward Camilla, and the majority see clearly she is a 'good Woman', and [especially' good for the Prince of Wales..
Im not so sure of that. I think that Camilla is accepted but she and Charles overall are not as popular as one might expect. And obviously Charles was willing to consider the possibility that Camilla would not become queen, or he would not have agrred to that statement. so its not a case that "Charles wont let it happen."

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion