The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will do what they want to do, whether its attend charities in Canada, or skeet shooting.. or - staying home with Archie. I don't think they are to be relied on for anything except that they will do what they want to do. But IMO they don't have the money they will need for the kind of life they want - so its not likel they could live a quiet life, comfortable and rich and doing a bit of private charity work... they will have to hunt for more money...

My children are William & Harry's age & I can never forget the deep sorrow I felt for those boys when their mother died. I've always felt a maternal sympathy & concern for them and I still do.

I think the way Harry has handled this latest situation has been fraught with errors of judgement but I see a young man wrestling with his role as a husband, father & prince. He's trying to achieve a more balanced life that protects his family from the vitriolic press coverage while engaging in charitable causes, serving the monarchy & honouring his mother's memory. He's chosen a wife who is also committed to supporting people who are vulnerable or lacking agency or oppressed. She's clever, driven & focused on her charitable goals, which are attributes that I consider to be positive but some people view as faults. Whatever people think of Harry & Meghan, this partnership based on common purpose is now their life & if they can live it better by being part-time royals dividing their time between Canada & here then I don't have a problem with it. The nuts & bolts of how it works will undoubtedly provide the media with a rich seam to mine for reportage & commentary for months (if not years).

Looking on the positive side, if they can make this model work in the long term, it might be extremely useful to the next generation, affording them more flexible opportunities to be personally fulfilled while supporting the institution that is their heritage.

I shouldn’t speak for all Americans, but I do think that many love him because they remember that small boy...I think it’s why they love William as well. Then again, there are many Americans not on social media who may very well yawn at the sight of them, lol.

I agree with you. I do believe Harry is deeply scarred, but the way to deal with it is not to blame and push away people who love you, and not to stamp your feet, whine, and threaten blackmail

I agree Harry is not dealing with his issues properly. I wonder why William seems to have dealt with things, but Harry has not. Then again, one never knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Well this is interesting.....Makes you wonder why the Sussex's didn't do their due diligence before making this disastrous move.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-cant-live-in/

Your link is doesn't work . Hopefully this one this one should work.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...why-members-of-the-royal-family-cant-live-in/

For those who don't know, this editorial that is titled "Why Harry and Meghan and why members of the Royal Family can't live in Canada". It's is from Canada's oldest national newspaper who is well regarded. It's a paper that leans to being pro conservative and pro monarchy.

I don't think Harry and Meghan thought through their decision properly. IMHO this whole incident reflects poorly on them, (I was also very sympathetic to them for a long time but now as a result, I'm considerably less sympathetic to them.)

Last edited:
I think one of the central issues is that Meghan likes to use her voice and have her opinions heard. The role of the royal family is to ensure the other people voices are heard while they remain mute.

Meghan may like to have her voice heard. However, the voices of the other Royals need to be heard: Meghan's father-in-law and grandmother-in-law.

With today’s new pics of Meghan ingratiating herself on her public engagement in Vancouver it seems opinión in Canada appears to be turning now that it dawns on them that Meghan & Harry want to act like royals in Canada:

“The Sussexes are working out their own personal issues, and Canadians wish them the best of luck. Canada welcomes people of all faiths, nationalities and races, but if you’re a senior member of our Royal Family, this country cannot become your home.

The government should make that clear. There can be no Earl Sussex of Rosedale and no Prince Harry of Point Grey. Canada is not a halfway house for anyone looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...why-members-of-the-royal-family-cant-live-in/

Well, the Globe and Mail does not reflect the opinions of the country as a whole, but caters to a specific audience based primarily in the east. What a pompous article! It is post Christmas silly season in the media these days, and the fact that there is so little REAL information on the Sussexs in British Columbia is infuriating to those who make their living covering M&H or making up stories that might be believable.

I spoke to a reporter friend who works for CTV who says they had no idea what Meghan was doing that day. They just heard of it by chance from someone who was there. So ingratiating might not be a word that best describes her intentions.

British Columbia is quite laid back when it comes to giving privacy to celebrities or royals or anyone really. In fact, other royals have made it out here many times for holidays without anyone "outing" them and giving them the privacy they need. It is a beautiful province! This might be why the Sussexs chose to come here. I hope they have the space and time to work out "personal issues" that the Globe and Mail worries about...Thinking back on, say, the last almost seventy years of the queen's reign, there have been even more shattering and remarkable events involving members of the royal family. And they will weather this "storm" as well. The Queen is wonderful at working things out.

Last edited by a moderator:

For those who don't know, this editorial that is titled "Why Harry and Meghan and why members of the Royal Family can't live in Canada". It's is from Canada's oldest newspaper who is well regarded. It's a paper that leans to being pro conservative and pro monarchy.

I don't think Harry and Meghan thought through their decision properly. IMHO this whole incident reflects poorly on them, (I was also very sympathetic to them for a long time but now as a result, I'm considerably less sympathetic to them.)

Well that is interesting. It's an identical link. At any rate, no I don't think they thought it through at all other than running away to a place they thought would be safe from the media, which is ridiculous since it has only increased negative coverage and made them look extremely foolish. What a mess!

For those who don't know, this editorial that is titled "Why Harry and Meghan and why members of the Royal Family can't live in Canada". It's is from Canada's oldest newspaper who is well regarded. It's a paper that leans to being pro conservative and pro monarchy.
Thanks for posting it ! It is a brilliant editorial that summarizes the constitutional position of the Crown in Canada, whch is something that most Americans and even some Brits don't understand.

Meghan may like to have her voice heard. However, the voices of the other Royals need to be heard: Meghan's father-in-law and grandmother-in-law.

Perhaps she should have stayed in the US and gotten into politics instead. They all like their voices to be heard

I agree Harry is not dealing with his issues properly. I wonder why William seems to have dealt with things, but Harry has not. Then again, one never knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Of curse everyone is different, but William being older must have something to do with it..l

Thanks for posting it ! It is a brilliant editorial that summarizes the constitutional position of the Crown in Canada, whch is something that most Americans and even some Brits don't understand.

As evidenced by Harry and Megan.

Well that is interesting. It's an identical link. At any rate, no I don't think they thought it through at all other than running away to a place they thought would be safe from the media, which is ridiculous since it has only increased negative coverage and made them look extremely foolish. What a mess!

I can't figure it out either myself (I checked both links before I posted).

I agree with you. Canada isn't that remote, we have media here too. Although the UK tabloids may not have full time staff here, they can employ Canadian free lancers and stories will continue as long as the media feels there's a demand for them.

Public opinion here in Canada is very mixed to their decision. Although almost all Canadians are fine with them vacationing or visiting, living here is seen as something very different. Harry and Meghan seemed to have failed to grasp the difference.

Last edited:

It was a brilliant piece - I suspect Canada is tired of being thought of the “Great White North”, just another nice country with really nice people that happens to border the U.S and where people can willy nilly run away to.

I have a better feel for Canada myself now, truthfully. This is just another instance of H and M acting impulsively and expecting the Red Sea to part for them...

'She was really great': Meghan Markle visits women's shelter on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

Meghan visited a women's shelter in Vancouver's downtown east side (one of the poorest neighbourhoods in all of Canada) yesterday. There is a photo. While her interest in women's issues has been clear and constant, in my opinion, this is the kind of thing that sets her up for criticism in the short term. She and Harry are "stepping back" but she is already visiting an agency and being photographed with the staff. Until the dust settles, and they have a clear plan, you would think that any such visits should be kept private. Of course, maybe this is part of the plan that she and Harry developed weeks, if not months ago.

I have seen this on tv just anhozr ago and was surprised. will the canadians both public and officials accept this kind of "critism"?
snd why does she feels to be right to do that in canada, because its comminwealth?

Some people are referring to the wessexes when mentioning establishing other work and career routes. I don’t recall them ever doing so. I know Sophie carried out her PR work for a while. Is there anything else? What kind of activity did they try to do and why didn’t it work out? That may be the precedent we need to think about in light of this situation.

The whole situation with Meghan and her father is getting so messy again. I always thought he screwed her up but the fact that he’s willing to testify against her makes me think there’s probably one side of the story we never heard about.... I mean no one does that to their daughter unless something went really wrong.

Well this is interesting.....Makes you wonder why the Sussex's didn't do their due diligence before making this disastrous move.

The Globe and Mail does not speak for the general opinions of Canadians. Not at all. It is not read in large parts of Canada. It is a good conservative newspaper, true, and traditionally monarchist, and might have some good points from the constitutional aspect in this article. But it is getting ahead of itself and needs to chill. We are not there yet.

But...Canada is a vast country and it would be wise to hear from posters in other provinces and territories in addition to this rather arrogant editorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything, I see Harry being the one to doing the back and forth and Meghan staying in Canada. So exacty how do Royals travel? First class on commercial?

Never ever will Meghan stay put in canada. She will travel to the UK for the glamourous events such as movie premiers etc. She will now jump back into big business of her liking after she got rid of the BRF. In Canada they will be celebrity royals, and cased by the paps day in day out, like celebrities are normally being chased. They will never be Mr and Mrs M-W in terms of privacy. Lots of Drama and further complaints to come. Despite the downsides the BRF was home, and Harry will soon learn what he gave up so willingly. Torn between 2 worlds, same goes for Archie.

I think the Middleton's stable family life has had a positive effect on William and has provided him a sense of belonging. Harry on the otherhand is now married to Meghan who, despite a lovely and loving mother, does have an unstable family as evidenced by the behavior exhibited by her father and step-siblings.

Very very sad.

But that doesn't also negate the fact their decision impacts so many people. What about their staff who many now face either much reduced roles or being made redundant. For example their new Private Secretary had a promising career in the Foreign Office, most lately as an Ambassador. Now she is Private Secretary for a couple who have just announced they are moving overseas and reducing their role so she can sit playing on the swivel chair in the office

Honestly if only they had waited a little longer before marrying. If Meghan had seen more of what royal life was all about she may have decided it wasn't for her sooner and the two could have married and made it clear they weren't going to be full time working royals. to be honest if they had announced what they have now back then it wouldn't have been half the drama it is now.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful think but they moved so fast in everything its almost like no one had time to breath.

Excellent point about their staff. This impacts them as well. How exactly is unknown. The really does impact so many people.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this entire situation just spells out the lack of real thought they seem to be have put into anything before acting.

From Meghan joining the family and the roles they took on to them reducing their roles- and announcing before anything was agreed upon.

I know it’s easy to look back now, but it all just feels like they haven’t thoroughly thought through anything before making a decision.

For those who don't know, this editorial that is titled "Why Harry and Meghan and why members of the Royal Family can't live in Canada". It's is from Canada's oldest national newspaper who is well regarded. It's a paper that leans to being pro conservative and pro monarchy.

Thanjs, exactly what I was thinking when I saw Meghan's visit in Vancouver today, can this be accepted?

Any similarities with post-royal tactics of Tessy Antony?

Without wishing to give extra undue publicity to the grouping of ex royals, I wonder if Tessy Antony Nassau's financial independence is comparable to Meghan? Both want to use their royal connections to advance their economic situation.

There is the following pattern.

Philanthropic glow + royal/ ex-royal status + some lucrative contracts = "a job" commercially and outside the firm.

Much like Tessy, Meghan is going for feminism to tick the philanthropy box.

A tension is the following. Royal and ex-royal status have huge value. yet, Royalty and the estabishment represent the oppressive challenge that this brave individual is fighting - or has fought - in order to stand up for women's rights.

It was a brilliant piece - I suspect Canada is tired of being thought of the “Great White North”, just another nice country with really nice people that happens to border the U.S and where people can willy nilly run away to.

If I had a loonie for every time a colleague from the United States who didn't like the latest election result told me they were going to move to Canada ?

I appreciate the sentiment - it's a lovely place to live, even if the winters are a bit harsh - but people can't just move here out of the blue. There is a lengthy emigration process, which even Harry and Meghan must follow.

If I had a loonie for every time a colleague from the United States who didn't like the latest election result told me they were going to move to Canada ?

I appreciate the sentiment - it's a lovely place to live, even if the winters are a bit harsh - but people can't just move here out of the blue. There is a lengthy emigration process, which even Harry and Meghan must follow.

Also because Canada has a wonderful health care system and we don’t! I love Canada - I’d like to visit more often (and take lots of maple products home, lol.

Therein lies Harry and Meghan’s sense of entitlement. If they’d thought this out, there would be paperwork indicating they’d laid the groundwork for this. Instead they’ve put Canada on the spot and it’s really rather awkward...

Also because Canada has a wonderful health care system and we don’t! I love Canada - I’d like to visit more often (and take lots of maple products home, lol.

Therein lies Harry and Meghan’s sense of entitlement. If they’d thought this out, there would be paperwork indicating they’d laid the groundwork for this. Instead they’ve put Canada on the spot and it’s really rather awkward...

Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.

So

Honestly if only they had waited a little longer before marrying. If Meghan had seen more of what royal life was all about she may have decided it wasn't for her sooner and the two could have married and made it clear they weren't going to be full time working royals. to be honest if they had announced what they have now back then it wouldn't have been half the drama it is now. They wouldn't have been given the Sussex title, they wouldn't have been given Frogmore if their intention was to be out the UK so much, they wouldn't have set up their own office with such highly qualified staff. Meghan could have been one of the first women to marry into the family who continued working and doing her own thing.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful think but they moved so fast in everything its almost like no one had time to breath.
What would Meghan have done, if she and harry had said they couldn't/wouldn't do royal duties? IMO carrying on acting wasn't really an option. and who was going to take on the Commonwealth role? In fact other women, including Fergie and Sophie Wessex married into the family and tried to retain jobs, but it never worked out very well...

The press keep saying that M&H are angry at the RF. If that were the case, then why do they want to be part time?

The press keep saying that M&H are angry at the RF. If that were the case, then why do they want to be part time?

Because if they are part time, there wil be less objection to them having money from the Duch of Cornwall etc. Because they don't want to quit England entirely?

Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.

The last couple of pages in this thread eloquently portray just how many people/countries/organisations are simply assumed to be 'on board' with the impulsive wishlist of this astoundingly entitled pair -

Canada 'fall into line' ! BRF 'acquiesce to our every whim' ! Politicians, Police forces, Immigration Authorities 'do as WE want' !

As with out of control children SOMEONE needs to say NO !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom