The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll say this about the media: it is nasty. No argument. I sympathize with them- and the rest of the family- there. But you have a choice in how you internalize, handle it and how much of it you choose to read/listen to. They basically chose to let it dominate their lives, best I can tell from that interview and their decision to step back.

Although Harry has said he reads articles about himself, I thought Meghan had said she didn't? That must have changed once she became a royal bride?

Yes, it really isn't healthy to let the media, specifically "negative for clicks" social media/tabloids affect your life.

Don't we? An agent in the Entertainment industry manages careers of their clients who are Actors in that industry. If she retained that Agent, which means she is still paying them, then it indicates she may have been planning all along to use her position to pursue projects within that industry. That is very telling and gives rise to what is really going on with these latest developments from her end.
Her ex-agent according to her own words gave an interview and told how many contacts are searched with Meghan since her engagement and that it became more and more each day. She doesn't manage her anymore but still gets these calls. So my guess is that Meghan needs a person to receive those calls and deals with them?? If they are from charities, they might deserve to be put through to Meghan.
But the "agency" could simply deal with Meghan's portfolio in the US? Who knows. The article I read only said "agents and lawyers".

The private engagement in Canada seals the entire narrative for me.

Meghan made it clear in her pre-Harry life that her ideal life path would be, and I forget the words or phrasing, essentially highlighting causes and serving as a sort of patron for highlighting issues close to her heart. The only problem is, there is absolutely no demand for that unless you are one of two things: fabulously wealthy, so you can donate to those causes on a big-impact level, or incredibly famous, so you can inspire enough other people to donate to make a difference.

So Meghan meets and falls in love with one of a handful of people in the world who can give her not one but both of the things she needs to fulfill her dream, but also puts in her a position where she can't really do it. She can't just highlight the causes close to heart and form connections how, when, and where she thinks she can make the most impact.

And the narrative here is that, through no forethought but through totally unforeseen and unexpected outside forces, here we are less than four years later and she is in the exact position she needed to be in to fulfill her lifelong dreams but without the restraints holding her back. In fact, less than a week after the announcement, she is out there doing what she always wanted to do (using her wealth and her position to privately influence causes) while her husband and his family deal with fallout a continent away.

This is why people predicted from the very beginning that the situation we are in would emerge. Meghan told us where she wanted to end up. It should be no surprise that she got there.

This. So entirely this. When people tell you who and what they are, believe them. Meghan told the world who and what she is long before Harry ever entered her world and when he did, whether by shrewd and calculated moves on her part or simply by luck, she saw the opportunities he presented and took them. Not one single person should be surprised at this outcome. I will say, however, that for those posters who were browbeaten and berated and called all sorts of awful names because they dared speak up with what they saw to be the true nature, this can and does feel very validating. So many people believed it was only a matter of time and frankly, they were right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan made it clear in her pre-Harry life that her ideal life path would be, and I forget the words or phrasing, essentially highlighting causes and serving as a sort of patron for highlighting issues close to her heart. The only problem is, there is absolutely no demand for that unless you are one of two things: fabulously wealthy, so you can donate to those causes on a big-impact level, or incredibly famous, so you can inspire enough other people to donate to make a difference.

So Meghan meets and falls in love with one of a handful of people in the world who can give her not one but both of the things she needs to fulfill her dream, but also puts in her a position where she can't really do it. She can't just highlight the causes close to heart and form connections how, when, and where she thinks she can make the most impact.

I mostly agree, but I don't understand why she couldn't have done that as a "real" royal. Sure, she'd be expected to spend some of her time and social capital on charities that aren't what she'd have picked, but they carefully steer clear of any that someone might consider truly objectionable. Senior royals seem to have a fair amount of discretion to adopt causes of their choice (e.g., the princes' mental health stuff, Charles's environmental stuff, Diana's land mine stuff, the Invictus games, etc.). Surely she'd have been able to advocate for women's shelters in the UK if she'd wanted.

Some parts of the larger topic of "women's issues" might be verboten because it's too political, but that doesn't change just because she moved to Canada and massively cut back on official appearances. I really doubt she's going to end up with a deal where she keeps any kind of royal status but is given carte blanche to advocate for abortion access or anything truly controversial. That may be exactly the sort of thing she's planning on wading into, but if so, I think it will get shot down quickly.

It does indeed, but also deeply distressing.. NO-ONE wanted to be 'proved right' on this.

That's very true. I think the vast majority of us truly hoped that we were misreading this and that we'd be proven wrong. Speaking purely for myself, I wanted them to succeed, I wanted them to be stellar assets to the monarchy. I wanted to see their happy marriage, their beautiful children, their fun moments with William, Kate, Zara, Eugenie, and the rest. Instead we got this mess. And the worst part was that we saw it coming. And when we voiced our concerns we were lambasted and accused of being racists and more. It's very sad and it's deeply distressing but it's been coming all along.

Although Harry has said he reads articles about himself, I thought Meghan had said she didn't? That must have changed once she became a royal bride?

Yes, it really isn't healthy to let the media, specifically "negative for clicks" social media/tabloids affect your life.

Which means he obsesses with what is being written, getting worked up and angry instead of leaving it to his PR people to deal with the media. I have news for him. It will only get worse from here on out if they continue with the way they have been dealing with it up to this point in the UK and they will be absolutely annihilated in the American media should they go there with the same attitude. The honeymoon will be short lived.

An interesting take on it and one that some people will find terribly offensive, particularly the headline. And while I do agree that the headline probably should have been scrapped because it does sort of cross a line, I certainly agree with the gist of the argument. And I absolutely agree with the idea that though they might become financially independent from the RF, including the money from the Duchy, they will become ever more dependent on the favors, handouts, and freebies of their super rich, super woke, jet-setter style friends. Now, not that a real and deep friendship might not exist between them and one or two of those people because, after all, they're all still human and presumably capable of forming real friendships, but I have a gut feeling that most of those friendships are not real friendships but rather advantageous acquaintances. And advantageous acquaintances are a rather dangerous thing to be be relying on.

The press can be truly vile. The Guardian said that David Cameron didn’t grieve for the death of his 6-year-old son because privileged people don’t feel the same pain as everyone else. The Sun told the parents of Gareth Jones (a former rugby union player) that he was HIV positive before he’d told them himself. I wish there were a way of stopping them, but it’s the way it is. Compared to that, criticising Harry and Meghan for flying around on private jets is pretty mild, IMHO (and I really don’t see why anyone thinks it’s racist), and they need to learn to ignore it , as other famous people must have to do.

There's plenty of scope for royals working with causes that are meaningful to them personally, without cutting themselves off from the Royal Family - Beatrice with dyslexia, Eugenie with scoliosis, Camilla with osteoporosis (which her mum suffered from). Prince Charles used to be laughed at for his obsession with environmentalism, but he stuck with it and now he's been proven right. Diana's work with HIV charities was groundbreaking at the time.

Last edited:
Harry himself said otherwise when being interviewed for the documentary on the Queen´s 90th birthday, claiming he thinks of her " first as my boss and then as my grandmother...."

I thought that was quite revealing.

I’m not sure if that’s significant or not only because, unlike with other grandmas, even the Queen’s family has to “obey” certain protocol around her. For instance, they can’t just pop by and visit her any time they want - it had to be on a schedule; also, she rarely calls anyone, it’s the other way around. Then again, when I read the whole quote again just now in the original articles, it does make me sit up straight.

The prince told programme-makers: “I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

So, if this is true, then perhaps Harry didn’t think he was disrespecting the Queen (or his father, or anyone else) when he and Meghan chose to blow everything apart even though Charles and HM had asked him not to reveal anything until things had been worked out.

TexanKitKat:

Her supporters can argue that they were pushed into these decisions due to "racial" slurs, and negative media coverage, and tension within the family, but that just won't fly at this point with only 19 months into their marriage. They seem to have had a game plan all along and it when it wasn't working the way they wanted in the time they wanted it, they began using the "victim" card to sway public opinion on their side. That is my view on it at least based on how this has all played out. Their website was not thrown together in a few weeks.

I agree. I mean, like I said somewhere above, it appears Charles and Harry’s relationship was as good as ever. Victoria Arbiter said a few days ago that they have a “warm relationship” and we’ve heard Harry call him papa several times, as recently as Charles’ birthday. M and H’s friends seem to talk an awful lot, and they seem to be PR and spin doctors as much as friends.

I can’t figure Harry out. I know he must love his family, but he’s now showing it at all. The Queen and Charles have done all they can to show him that he’s loved and valued, but I don’t know if they’ve gotten through to him.

I did read a short article yesterday and now I'm not sure where I read it from but anyway, it did state that after all of this blew up it occurred to Harry how awfully they had handled this and how much distress it caused the Queen and that he regretted that. Not, mind you, that he regretted the path they're taking, but that he regretted causing such distress to HM. Now, whether that's true or not is anyone's guess and I think it could be true but after the way he's behaved over the last couple years I'm not sure I believe that it is. Anyway, there is a story floating around that he's showing a bit of regret at how this has all been handled and if that's true then perhaps there's a shred of hope that at some point in the future Harry will see where this all went wrong and work to set it right. I just hope it happens while there's still time to set it right with HM and Prince Philip.

I suspect the queen is angry as much as upset and disappointed.

...I wanted them to be stellar assets to the monarchy. I wanted to see their happy marriage, their beautiful children, their fun moments with William, Kate, Zara, Eugenie, and the rest. Instead we got this mess. ....

THIS--100%! It is so sad that none of this will happen, things could have been so different.:sad:

I speak of this as a sports fan because I’ve seen too many players be affected by the media, whether what’s written about them is good or bad. In sports, and in general, it’s never a good idea to read anything written about you - ultimately it just doesn’t matter anyway. In fact, with the way social media is today, I wouldn’t read my timeline either. If I were a celeb with a Twitter account, I’d stick to my followers; it’s NASTY out there, and some of the things people say are behind the pale. Celebrities in the US make a living off of the media, so I’d be shocked if Meghan didn’t read about herself....

Some of them need security to protect them from themselves. Princess Diana would probably still be alive had she kept her British police protection. They would not have allowed her to be driven by a drunk driver and she would have had to wear her seat belt. Maybe Harry needs to keep his personal protection officers and I think that Charles should pay for it, if not the Queen. Just my opinion.

I have given some more thought to this, I do agree with that. Some people do need to be protected from themselves. No one wants to see anything tragic happen to the Sussexes like what happened to Diana, and if this will prevent it, I think it is a good idea if the Queen or Prince Charles pay for it. But, I am an American, so it does not affect me. JMHO.

Last edited:

I mist say I agree. The American media will be in their faces as much if not more than the British media - it’s unbelievably intrusive. Meghan had a certain celebrity while on Suits, but not much - it wasn’t an overly popular show and she wasn’t the star. If she and Harry move to the States at some point (I can’t speak as to Canada as I’m not sure how Canadians feel about them), they will be bombarded left and right with flashbulbs, not just at professional events, but when they’ve got Archie with them. Can they handle that? Harry hates them media, so I doubt it.

Americans tend to romanticize royalty and don’t understand how much the Royals’ lives are devoted to duty, hence their belief that Edward VIII and Wallis are an epic love story and that the big, bad BRF wouldn’t let them be happy. Very likely they see the Sussexes the same way...and they adore Harry; I don’t think they give a hoot about how he and Meghan have treated the Queen, his father, etc....

Personally I wonder if people will get tired of M and H glomming into their A-list celebrity friends while prostituting the Royal brand..I’m already done with it.

Yes, I was wondering what would become of her patronages.
Because I really doubt she will be spending much time in the UK in the future.

What might work is to have Beatrice and Eugenie take over Andrew's patronages (temporarily which gradually turns into permanently), have Kate and Camilla pick up Meghan's, and over time reduce Harry's.

How would the Queen stop the wedding from happening? She can only advise and counsel, but she is not omnipotent when a grandson in his 30s decides to marry an American actress. She did what she often does in circumstances where she is not best pleased - she made the best of it.

In my opinion, Harry relied on the huge outpouring of love, understanding and sympathy he rightly received at the age of 12 when he lost his mother and seemed to believe it would last forever. As an adult, he was expected to move beyond that and be regarded and respected in his own right. He didn't like that. He crumbled when he and his wife were criticised and instead of working through it, pulled the plug in the most dramatic way he could think of.

She has to give permission.

I wonder if people will get tired of M and H

I don't doubt they will - they will not always be young, glamorous, or fashionable, and neither have so abundant a talent [in any field] to compensate for the loss of those things, once middle-age arrives..

There will be an enormous amount of 'schadenfreude' on this side of the pond when this happens.

Last edited:

What might work is to have Beatrice and Eugenie take over Andrew's patronages (temporarily which gradually turns into permanently), have Kate and Camilla pick up Meghan's, and over time reduce Harry's.

Just another example of how selfish these two are. Now patronages are left hanging concerned about the future of their Royal connection due to the irresponsible way these two handled this announcement with ZERO regard for anyone but themselves.

William has already had a couple of back of house meetings with a few of Andrews' patronages. However I agree with your assessment, thankfully in a way they haven't taken on too many patronages to rehand out.

I can believe that too. It must have been a slap in the face to have her come in and act like everything was normal, only to find out a few hours later they were stepping back with NOTHING being clear. It’s still not clear what exactly this step back means.

Harry and Meghan may have intended for things to roughly stay the same with their patronages, but this is one more example of how poorly they have handled this.

This was simply not well thought out.

THIS--100%! It is so sad that none of this will happen, things could have been so different.:sad:

Same. For many ordinary people who support the Monarchy the British Royal Family has become trusted and familiar.
A sense of warmth and pride is built so Prince Harry's family will be missed. His role has become unpredictable.
For his brother, father and even for himself it is a time of uncertainty.

I hope it all works out well.

I don't doubt they will - they will not always be young, glamorous, or fashionable, and neither have so abundant a talent [in any field] to compensate for the loss of those things, once middle-age arrives..

There will be an enormous amount of 'schadenfreude' on this side of the pond when this happens.

I don’t doubt it for a moment in the UK, but in America? American’s still think of him as Diana’s little boy, and they already don’t “get” the BRF or the Monarchy in general, so he’s got that going for him. Still, I wonder how he’ll feel when the British public turn on him? If he’s paying attention to the media like apparently he does, he has to know that he’s caused a great deal of self-inflicted damage to himself.

William has already had a couple of back of house meetings with a few of Andrews' patronages. However I agree with your assessment, thankfully in a way they haven't taken on too many patronages to rehand out.

Who said they have to be remanded out :ermm:

Last time I looked part time or even junior royals have patronages. Eugenie and Beatrice have patronages and they aren't working royals.

They have never said they are going to abandon Royal duties. Just full time.

People Magazine article says Harry cut out old friends about 6 months into Meghan's pregnancy.

This fits into the whole idea some of us are getting that Harry & Meghan have been distancing themselves from family & friends over the past year. Which is also when everything seemed to really go sideways.

https://people.com/royals/prince-ha....com&utm_content=20200115&utm_campaign=473966

Shocked it took so long got them to regurgitate this tired story.

Back when they were engaged the tabloids tried this story. How evil Meghan had forced Harry to ditch friends and none were invited to wedding. That of course was proven wrong. But now that evil witch Meghan persona has become popular again, they regurgitate the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
American’s still think of him as Diana’s little boy,

That may be increasingly hard to maintain, as he balds/ages/puts on weight ? I hope you won't think it insulting when l say that what characterises the Hollywood milieu that seems to be their inevitable destination, is 'the NEXT big thing' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom