The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 12:20 AM
Gentry

Thanks.
I wrongly thought she received the British citizenship when she married Harry (like similar to Marie when she married a Prince of Denmark).

Old 01-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Is it outside the realm of possibilities that Prince Harry insisted Archie stay in Canada and Meghan return to Canada after their visit to Canada House and the release if their statement? That Prince Harry has wanted to not be a senior royal for a long time and has found a person, who loves him and wants him happy, and says "we can do this. I've got your back. We'll do this together"? That Harry had this plan all along, way before Meghan came along?

The misogyny that this announcement has uncovered shocks me to my core.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I would love to know Prince Philip's point of view.

I hope it is true, but I would take the NYT with a grain of salt.

Philip, and Gemini in general, does not suffer fools nor betrayals of this kind- we hate it!

Remember this is the man who despised, almost as much as the queen mom, the duke of Windsor for obvious reasons.
This is also the man whose own royal house he was born into was brought down by the people, something which I have no doubt has caused him to be insanely intone to the voice of the people least your find yourself without your palaces and exiled for good.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A number of comments suggesting KP and BP have been plotting against the Sussexes, have been deleted. As an earlier mod note stated, please remember to avoid arbitrary speculation, rumor and gossip - let's discuss the facts as we know them.

If you wish to discuss Sir Christopher Geidt, please take it here.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

A nervous breakdown?

Meghan’s life has gone through so many changes in a short few years.

If they were valued, high-ranking employees of a major worldwide corporation, you’d tell them to take a few months or a year off; then figure out what to do when they’re ready to come back.

Keep their “salaries” and privileges in place. Maybe a lengthy period of R&R with no engagements will give them a chance to heal and then resume their duties.

That’s what I would want for my family member or employee.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Harry has net worth of 25 million and Meghan 5 million. I actually read not to long ago his net worth was 53 million. So, I don't understand them wanting to be financially independent. With 30 million dollars plus between them, they are not hurting for money. They are already financially independent. Harry's assets are inherited and cannot be taken away.

In Canada, they won't have to rush out and find jobs. Not with 30 million dollars plus between them.
I have never seen a single concrete evidence that Meghan was worth 5mil (hack her suits per episode salary was likely around 10k by the end of her time there).
In fact I feel confident enough to say that I doubt she was worth 1mil by the time she met harry.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:06 AM
Courtier

The shock and uncertainty coupled with the media frenzy and the usual no, or minimal, comment from the BRF is getting out of hand.. It is a newspaper's picnic.

This will calm down.
No titles or names will be lost.
Harry and Meghan will continue to carry out much of their previous work but spend some months in Canada and some days in the US.
If Harry and Meghan do work on behalf of the Queen then they will have expenses met, as is the custom.
Of course, less work = less reimbursement.

No important decisions should be made while either Harry or Meghan feels at crisis point. Mental stability and security of thought and awareness is necessary.
ladongas, above, I agree with your opinion.

Other royals own houses in other countries.
...Prince Andrew, David Armstrong Jones.

To work out a structure under which Harry and Meghan can ethically earn their own money and also a structure under which they can earn money for charities is critical.
There is obviously a way that works for Princess Anne's family and Prince Michael of Kent etc..

It is just as important to also come to an agreement on acceptable media communications. The BRF and Harry and Meghan need to trust each other and make no shock disclosures. (unlike the past few days)

The change could end up being an improvement on the present situation.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Yep...I live in the same area as well and had never heard of Jessica Mulroney until Meghan came on the scene. I had seen Ben Mulroney on some entertainment show.

Canada does not have big-name celebrities like the U.S. does, so in a way it surprises me that Meghan has chosen Canada as the place to base herself and Harry. On one hand, here they would be "big fish in a small pond." On the other hand, all the money, celebrity and business connections, and big media outlets are in the United States.
Like you said: big fish small pond.
In the us, they (her mostly) will always be small fish in a huge ocean!

Being in Canada mean they enjoy the ego boast of big fish, but she will be close enough to the us to monetize on the royal name.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
I feel like people overestimate how much money $30-35million actually is, especially when it would be needed to fund the lifestyle Harry has grown up with/is accustomed to, and Meghan has entered after her engagement.

Should they need to pay for their own security, purchase a new home/furniture, pay taxes, etc - $30-35 million wouldn't last more than a decade without the need to have a source of income.
I just checked and at this moment there are 13 pages of real estate listings for homes valued at 5 million or more in Vancouver proper. There are 10 listings for homes over 20 million. You can definitely go through 30 million without trying hard.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Meghan’s life has gone through so many changes in a short few years.

If they were valued, high-ranking employees of a major worldwide corporation, you’d tell them to take a few months or a year off; then figure out what to do when they’re ready to come back.

Keep their “salaries” and privileges in place. Maybe a lengthy period of R&R with no engagements will give them a chance to heal and then resume their duties.

That’s what I would want for my family member or employee.

I agree with your thoughts.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The reality is whether they call themselves Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor, or evening Sussex as a last name, businesses will want them.

People don’t have short memories. Harry is not a German prince or prince of a monarchy few people know of. Harry and Meghan are both already a brand. Harry the son of Diana and former party prince. Meghan as the birscial actress who married a prince. Anyone who thinks forcing them not to use their titles will stop them cashing in on who they are is dillusional at best.

In reality this scandal will help. Businesses won’t care if Harry is qualified, they want his fame and name even sans title. All this did is make Harry and Meghan even more recognizable. Recognition is money.

I’d be shocked if Harry and Meghan, whatever their name or title don’t already have deals lined up. If they plan on living in Canada and working even more sign they aren’t just jumping in blind and hoping to work it out. Only thing needing worked out is on the royal side.
To be honest I am not so sure about this. For a short time, maybe, but what can they offer? Though it leaves me stumbled how long Sarah Ferguson managed to make money in the US, but let us hope the Sussex couple will not drop down to her level.
But what can they offer beside their name and hidden information about the RF?
Are Us really dull enough to go after a d-level-ex actress and a british prince?

I just watched the video with Bob Iger and he is definetly uncomfortable in the situation and I was surprised to hear Harry begging for even more not recognizing,
but this has been a long thing what humans do for money, only us, mainly considered poor believe the rich ones would not need to do and get more, but yes, they do!-disgusting, but human!
If this is what Harry is for, the palace must stop this.
And some have already stepped back, Obama, Oprah, Beckhams ?, wait and see what the Clooneys will say who stepped in for her..... I am not so sure about Meghan's importance, maybe she has over-estimated the whole thing.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness

Moment Prince Harry appears to tout Meghan Markle for a Disney voiceover job

Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 AM
Nobility

I do believe that the Sussexes have caused some of their bad press prior to this week. How they handled Archie's birth was needlessly secretive. What do they gain from keeping the names of his Godparents secret? Part of being a royal is a certain amount of openness. I think this is really hard for Harry because he was a royal child in a different era. He and William were on display too much. Charles and Diana invited video cameras into there home on a number of occasions. Harry has mentioned how difficult it was for him to march behind his mother's coffin. He doesn't want his child to suffer, but he's over corrected.

He also saw his mother suffer and he doesn't want his wife to go through the same thing. He is acting in a primal way because he wants to protect those closest to him. I think his motives are admirable but his methods are misguided.

I think Meghan doesn't really get the duty aspect of being part of the royal family. I truly believe she wants to make a difference in the world. She did charitable things before she met Harry. I think she underestimated how hard the transition would be. She's gone through a number of stressful life changes in the last couple of years. Changing careers, moving to a new country, getting married and having a baby all in less than 2 years would be a big adjustment for anyone. Add on crazy amounts of fame, becoming royal and dealing with all the stories about her family, I can imagine she is hugely stressed. She might even have postpartum depression. In retrospect, it might have been better if she had not dived in with both feet, and allowed herself more time to adjust.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
To be honest I am not so sure about this. For a short time, maybe, but what can they offer? Though it leaves me stumbled how long Sarah Ferguson managed to make money in the US, but let us hope the Sussex couple will not drop down to her level.
But what can they offer beside their name and hidden information about the RF?
Are Us really dull enough to go after a d-level-ex actress and a british prince?

I just watched the video with Bob Iger and he is definetly uncomfortable in the situation and I was surprised to hear Harry begging for even more not recognizing,
but this has been a long thing what humans do for money, only us, mainly considered poor believe the rich ones would not need to do and get more, but yes, they do!-disgusting, but human!
If this is what Harry is for, the place must stop this.
And some have already stepped back, Obama, Oprah, Beckhams ?, wait and see what the Clooneys will say who stepped in for her..... I am not so sure about Meghan's importance, maybe she has over-estimated the whole thing.
An actress with a main cast role on a hit prime time show is Not. D list actress.

How many news articles do they sell every week??? Harry is the former playboy and now he will be the black sheep prince. Son of Diana. Kim Kardashian built an empire off her backside, don't doubt what American interest can lead to.

Harry and Meghan have no link to the Beckhams. Just because the likes of the Obamas gave not spoken up in the past week doesn't mean they have backed away. Not as shallow as some people on here seem to be.

The reality is businesses hire celebrities every day to promote products and their activities. Harry and Meghan will have no issue.

Meghan was already self made begins she met Harry. Beyond her acting she had her profitable blog, and a clothing line. And Without a royal title she was working for the UN, world vision and other major charity groups.

unlike her husband, Meghan dies have the education, the work experience and the self generated humanitarian background to survive well without a title.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
Trump won’t prevent them from living here. He’ll just lie and say he cleared the way for it, even though Harry can obtain citizenship like most spouses of American citizens.
With both Meghan and Archie being US citizens, this is actually where Harry would stand. "Marriage to a U.S. citizen makes you eligible for a green card. Having a green card for a certain number of years can make you eligible for U.S. citizenship."

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...tizenship.html
Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
He also saw his mother suffer and he doesn't want his wife to go through the same thing. He is acting in a primal way because he wants to protect those closest to him. I think his motives are admirable but his methods are misguided.
And he is to be commended for that, that he wants the best for his family, and I have a feeling most people feel the same..

A thought occured to me though: I wonder if P.Charles (or someone else) ever really explained to his sons that the way Diana and him each tried to use "the media" in their divorce was a big mistake and they should never have done that...
To me it seems a bit as if Harry makes the same mistake in his attempt to control the media as Diana and Charles did at the time...
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 AM
Courtier

You have to apply for British citizenship if you are a non-citizen marrying a Briton, and the process takes a while - they can't just grant it automatically because of the problem of fake marriages where someone pays someone to marry them so that they can claim citizenship. Someone I know married an American and had to go through this ridiculous rigmarole of providing photos showing them on holiday together whilst they'd been dating, to prove that they were a genuine couple! I assume it's the same in the US - think Andie MacDowell and Gerard Depardieu in Green Card!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:10 AM
Nobility

Only agree with one point

[QUOTE=Countessmeout;2281701]An actress with a main cast role on a hit prime time show is Not. D list actress.

How many news articles do they sell every week??? Harry is the former playboy and now he will be the black sheep prince. Son of Diana. Kim Kardashian built an empire off her backside, don't doubt what American interest can lead to.

Harry and Meghan have no link to the Beckhams. Just because the likes of the Obamas gave not spoken up in the past week doesn't mean they have backed away. Not as shallow as some people on here seem to be.

The reality is businesses hire celebrities every day to promote products and their activities. Harry and Meghan will have no issue.

I do not think a series which is , I do not know, a prime time event in one country and her playing not the lead role and no other movies made, makes her a a list actress. This is only my point of view considering what it is like in comparable situations and persons. I did not even know Suits before this thing with Prince Harry emerged and did not watch it since. It is known In Canada and ?

I agree that she has at least a degree and some work experience.
Maybe the RF should put more action in the upbringing and school education, degree etc of their children, the former generation of Charles siblings has proofed that most of them are unable to make their living thats mostly why they have to work for the firm. Other monarchies do not have this problem, if you look at the Nl, Benelux ..... in the Uk being a soldier or marrying someone has been the solution for siblings of the heir instead of challenging them to get a University degree and good training.( like any other non-royal parent would do)... beside the maturity which had arisen from this they would have been able to make their living. With W&Ka having at least a degree in arts , one can only hope that their children will not end up like Edward or Andrew🙄 but get and make the best if their privileged schooling....
HM has had hardly any educational background when she started and missed to give her own children a positive upbringing in means of love&emotional hold, her children are somehow victims of this, but hopefully made things better with their own children. Harry was left aside or his mental problems were not seen earlier, which is a pity!, we have the results now.
Again compared to other monarchies the Windsors are not the brightest bunnies unfortunately as most of them had all the chances with being sent to best schools... but not made something if it!
The IMO often underestimated Prince Charles can now show he has qualities to see what is obvious and if not take advice from people knowing better to deal with the situation. Even if HM was still young enough to be the boss, she could not handle it as she hasn't through all her reign, because she simply does not know how, but we will see.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry didn't get the grades at school to go to university. He basically 'failed' - a 'D' grade in one subject and a 'B' in the other is hardly the sign of someone who has the brains to go to school. He did have the marks to get into Sandhurst as they do additional tests.

The other five of HM's adult grandchildren all have degrees. William changed from History of Art to Geography while Eugenie did her degree in History of Art and Literature. She has worked at an art gallery since leaving university.

Beatrice has a degree in History and History of Ideas. There are jobs that could use those subjects but she seemed to want to go into business but she didn't study the relevant subjects to go into a degree in that area. So when making her subject selections at school she didn't think about job prospects it seems.

Charles and Edward didn't get into Cambridge on merit so there are questions about their degrees.

Neither Anne nor Andrew had the marks to get into university either.

What would you suggest - insist that the universities take in these royals who don't have the grades required?
Old 01-12-2020, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not see a complete resolution to the current problem after Monday's meeting with the Queen. But I hope they can all agree to a blue print going forward with the finer details to be worked out along the way.

And while Harry is in the UK I hope he can take the time to visit with his Grandfather Prince Philip.

Closed Thread