The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’m confused.

They’ve clearly found a house either on Vancouver Island or near, the dogs are there and it’s a place they felt safe enough to leave Archie while they were in the UK.

The Daily Mail reported they’d be back on the 20th, now they’ve reporting in tomorrows paper they’re gone for the next three months.

It’s utterly ridiculous, who is paying for their security whilst they’re in Canada where they now apparently live without representing the crown?
Well, it's clear to me, they have already relocated to Canada.
It's a fact, we might just as well accept it. - The Canadian reaction will be interesting though!

As for the security bill: Canada will foot most of the bill, at least until the status and role of the Sussexes has been resolved. Until then H&M are still high ranking members of the BRF and, we must assume, welcome visitors to Canada... As such it's the duty of Canada to protect them, as they would with other foreign high ranking guests. Or for that matter any other visitor who they feel is in need of extra protection.
And the royal protection officers will remain in place - again at least until this situation has been resolved.

H&M may be dancing around with their feet in their mouths, but for the time being they are still who they are: Senior royals.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I am saddened that the distance between Prince William and Prince Harry is widening. And that only happened from the moment Meghan entered Harry's life.
p.
I think the distance happened when Prince William married Kate, rightly so she (and the Middletons) became his family. Harry tagged along not rocking the boat and was quite lonely.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I'm not sure that is totally true--

"The administration of the duchy is regulated by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall (Accounts) Act 1838, which requires Treasury's supervision and for the accounts to be presented to both Houses of Parliament."

This seems to imply some government oversight.
This is true. The Duchy of Cornwall is its own entity in and of itself as a private estate. One of two royal duchies in existence with the other being the Duchy of Lancaster that provides the Queen's personal income.

The income that is provided to Charles is his own private monies and can be spent however Charles deems fit. For example, Charles did not purchase Highgrove. The Duchy of Cornwall did and that, along with the income will pass to the next Duke of Cornwall. As the Duke of Cornwall, Charles is entitled to the private estate's annual revenue surplus and is his personal income. So, in short, there's Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall along with the Duchy of Cornwall's separate financial holdings of which the duchy itself is accountable for. This is a link that explains it further.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/ann...ture-and-staff

Not to derail the thread but this is to show that Charles can continue to support that 95% of the Sussex expenses should he so choose.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Who pays for the safety of Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie?
They don't have RPO's. Beatrice and Eugenie once did but not anymore.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

Quote:
Peter and Zara have never had security. Beatrice and Eugenie lost their RPOs in 2011, any security from that point has come from Andrews own pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannedde View Post
I think the distance happened when Prince William married Kate, rightly so she (and the Middletons) became his family. Harry tagged along not rocking the boat and was quite lonely.

Completely disagree. You only have to look at interviews they all did, and the engagements to see that isn’t the case.

Henry said, but a couple of years ago, how excited he was to live next to his siblings.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think you hit a nail there.

Uncle Harry was a welcome guest. Merry and nice and good with the children. But uncle always have to leave at some point - going home - alone...
Yes, I agree, he would have felt lonely. And dearly missing a family of his own.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It looked that he was very much apart of their family. He was very close to George in particular before and Kate before he met Meghan. But you know he still went home at the end of the day and more and more of his long term friends were moving abroad too.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Betsypaige, that is sad, yes.

I think that for Meghan a breakdown of family relationships could feel more like what she's used to. Meghan has perhaps developed a fierce independence. She knows she will survive and thrive even without family.

I have high hopes that the strength of the Queen's communication teams will work out a viable solution. However, how to change the mindset of not missing or needing close family can't be decided in meetings around the table. If Meghan and Harry wish more independence then they will have it. Archie will have it too and he could be destined to feel an outsider in his own family through no fault of his own.
I agree, and I think that her lack of a family may make her overly stubborn and insisting on her own way. I wonder if she’s just not a fan of big families, like she’s overwhelmed by the Windsors. Sadly, I foresee that Archie wii likely grow up not knowing his family...
Old 01-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

I'm surprised that Harry and Meghan have handled it in this way. They've acted like two stroppy teenagers stomping off in a huff. Why couldn't they have discussed it properly, like the Queen asked them to? I'm sure something could have been worked out.
The poor execution has surprised me too, as whatever you think of Meaghan she was quite media aware in the past. She only had a supporting actress role on SUITS yet she made her profile higher with The Tig, her UN speech etc..
Old 01-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter, Zara and their spouses do not receive security coverage from the state.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Peter and Zara have never had security. Beatrice and Eugenie lost their RPOs in 2011, any security from that point has come from Andrews own pocket.
I always thought all the Queen's grandchildren had security guards.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

So what will be your opinion if this does actually happen?

From royal correspondent Richard Palmer

@RoyalReporter In spite of a number of polls over the past two days showing the public want Harry and Meghan to leave and be deprived of cash, the Queen and her family have no desire to cut the couple adrift. Better inside the tent than outside? Also Important to say that the talks are still at an early stage but they are “progressing well”, according to sources who say the governments of the UK and Canada are involved. The big thing is nobody is saying: You won’t get any money unless you agree to x, y, or z.

This seems to be the cover story of the papers tomorrow. Another leak?
Old 01-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
It’s utterly ridiculous, who is paying for their security whilst they’re in Canada where they now apparently live without representing the crown?
Until Scotland Yard finishes their evaluation and changes things, me (And all other UK taxpayers too, of course!)

Quote:
As they are not considered "working royals", their security personel (if they have it) is paid privately. I think Prince Andrew was paying for Bea and Eugenie, if Peter and Zara have security, probably Princess Anne.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
So much for commitment to the Commonwealth..

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/sta...300336643?s=21
Isn't Canada part of the Commonwealth or am I mistaken?
Old 01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I always thought all the Queen's grandchildren had security guards.

You are mistaken. The only members of the RF who have round the clock security are The Queen, Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla, Cambridge’s and still the Sussexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Isn't Canada part of the Commonwealth or am I mistaken?

It is. However they don’t intend to represent the commonwealth whilst spending half the year outside the UK. I believe they’ve chosen a commonwealth country for appearance sake, and for monetary reasons personally.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

@RoyalReporter In spite of a number of polls over the past two days showing the public want Harry and Meghan to leave and be deprived of cash, the Queen and her family have no desire to cut the couple adrift. Better inside the tent than outside? Also Important to say that the talks are still at an early stage but they are “progressing well”, according to sources who say the governments of the UK and Canada are involved. The big thing is nobody is saying: You won’t get any money unless you agree to x, y, or z.

Hmm, I don’t want the Queen to punish Harry and Meghan, but neither do I want her - or Charles - to give them everything they want. I believe the Queen will do what’s best, though I hope she understands that the public doesn’t want to pay for part time Royals with an attitude problem
Old 01-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I think if they get the money it will mean some level of agreement to not enter certain types of commercial deals etc. I don't believe they will be given money and a free reign to do everything they want. The DM has a poll in tomorrows paper that shows while the public are happy for them to make their own way, that means making their own way, not on the coat tails of Charles and HM's money.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

I think what will develop is a plan where Harry and Meghan will not be considered full time working royals for the "Firm" but rather part time representing the Queen and the monarchy on things such as tours, official engagements such as state banquets and Trooping the Color and whatever else the monarch would deem they're required for. They will not be called on to open hospitals or railways but rather their charitable work and their foundation will no longer be tied to the monarchy itself and not appear as "official business" in the court circular and the Sussexes will be focused more on the charities and organizations and incentives that are part of SussexRoyal Foundation and have sole control of that foundation.

They're enacting changes in how things work going into the future for the Sussexes and part of that will be perhaps residing in Canada for part of the year. It may even be seen eventually like the Queen taking personal time at Balmoral for a few months in the summer and Sandringham around the holidays. The Sussex family just chooses Canada, a Commonwealth country.
They're negotiating to enact changes that are suitable and workable for both the monarchy and the Sussexes.

To quote Buddha: Nothing is permanent. Everything is subject to change and being is always becoming".
Courtier

Zara and Peter haven't got security. Prince Andrew pays for any security Beatrice and Eugenie have got - they did have state-funded police protection at one time, but it was stopped.

All this speculation about who's advised them is just paper talk, but I wish they *had* spoken to the Obamas or Oprah - intelligent people who would surely have advised them not to act so rashly.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I think Mr Trudeau would be delighted to welcome a 'like minded' couple into Canada, and may 'move heaven and Earth to do so..
I think Mr Trudeau has more important things on the table at the moment.

Closed Thread