The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #601  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,132
I have no problem with them "carving out a new role" - it's been clear for a while that they weren't happy with their lives as they were.

I have a big problem with the way they have announced this - disrespectful and deceitful are the words that spring to mind.

It's a real shame - Meghan was a breath of fresh air at first and Harry seemed so happy. Good luck to them - I hope they can do what they would like.

I must admit I can't see exactly how it's going to work - it does seem a bit of a logistical nightmare. So they still want Prince Charles to foot their bills - and they qualify for year round protection from the Met. How does that work when they are in North America? When police forces are having their budgets cut and basic police coverage is cut back - but they have to provide security for a couple who want to live abroad and be free from the Royal Family.

They have been fiercely and often unjustly criticised but that doesn't mean all criticism is unjustified. I think this narrative that they have had no support from the BRF is ridiculous and untrue and grossly unfair to the Queen and Prince Charles.
Egotistical, self-important and petulant with absolutely no awareness of what they look like in some situations eg. standing in a shanty town complaining how hard you have it or taking a private jet to go to a gathering on the environment...

Harry is fiercely protective and has said he doesn't wish his wife to be commoditised like his mother was or to lose her to the same dark forces. The press can be really, really tough and positively nasty and there is no doubt Diana suffered greatly - and leaving Harry deeply traumatised. But he's an adult now and he needs to realise his mother wasn't killed by the press, she died because she was in a speeding car driven by a drunk man and she didn't wear a seat belt.

So good luck but I don't think they have started off on the right foot.
__________________

  #602  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: München, Germany
Posts: 39
i'm kinda sad about it, but it looks to me, that they are driven away by the criticism. i hope for them live will get better for them, but i think, they will face new criticism. It will be interesting how this will work out.
__________________

  #603  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,659
On the issue of Frogmore Cottage, all the renovation and structural work done was funded by the Sovereign Grant and not the taxpayers, themselves. This ensured that the property that belongs to the Crown Estates endures through future generations and wasn't solely for Harry and Meghan although H&M, themselves, financed the interior decorating. This is why its been stated that should they no longer work for crown and country, they'd be required to pay a going rent on the property to remain there. That's part and parcel of them moving away from the Sovereign Grant in all this. I don't believe this will be done by half measures. One either/or decision to watch for here.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #604  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: maidstone, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,197
This had been elaborated for probably a long time, I imagine his brother at least had some kind of idea! The fact that they spent XMas away from the Queen and the rest of the fanily shows how slowly they were trying to part different ways lus the split in the foundation with his brother. Of course I do not have the crystal ball but I am thinking Meghan was probably one of the forces for this to happen
__________________
Ashelen
  #605  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
He's not interested in the army etc or some other proper job like a pilot, they want to lead the Bono or Angelina Jolie life, do-gooders on a global stage, Bono's base for fame is being a musician, Jolie being an actress and they are royal and they need to stay royal to stay interesting. But there is a difference that they don't understand because there is public money involved. I guess that was Meghan's plan all along, she needed Harry to come from small time actress to get to the global stage to grace the world with her virtues, but she never understood that the royal idea is different, it's enormous privilege against duty and public service. You cannot have one without the other, therefore it will all end in tears. It will work with a celebrity A Lister, but not with a British Prince.
I just can't believe how full they are of themselves.

You nailed it!!! Many people have actually speculated Meghan's fame angle after her Vanity Fair cover (Mad about Harry!!) hahaha lol

For me, it was their wedding. She invited celebrities that she knows very little of and few old friends. Only mom as a family member. Who does that at Global Stage? The fact that she thought it was ok to do that, it shows Meghan's narcissistic behaviour. Families are not perfect. But usually families stick together in good and bad. She doesn't understand this concept. Everything is about me-gain. and Harry is indulging her - whether because of his love for her or mental health issues, i don't know.

They don't bring the best in each other, which will be a downfall for them.
  #606  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,654
With all of this happening I can only think of one thing: Harry is on the run. From his basic self. He is a grown man, but is he *truly* in every aspect of the word?
On Meghan I have nothing to say.
  #607  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Based on his previous sentiments I think Harry is leading the 'charge'. It's interesting to see self proclaimed feminists blame it all on Meghan.


LaRae
ICAM. The "Yoko Markle" crowd has been there from the beginning....and they are on both sides of the spectrum(conservative and progressive).

What a mess. All I can say is thank goodness I mostly follow a nice, normal, no drama family like the Grimaldi of Monaco!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #608  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
On the issue of Frogmore Cottage, all the renovation and structural work done was funded by the Sovereign Grant and not the taxpayers, themselves.
Altho' this is true [and 'Royal watchers' know it..] Joe public doesn't, and won't 'hear it'..
They believe 'we paid' for it, and will be irate if this couple [seen to be shirking their duty/responsibilities] continue to live there 'at our expense'..

This is sad but its a fact.

As things stand I cannot see them being able to continue to reside there, or [perhaps] in the UK.
  #609  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
ICAM. The "Yoko Markle" crowd has been there from the beginning....and they are on both sides of the spectrum(conservative and progressive).

What a mess. All I can say is thank goodness I mostly follow a nice, normal, no drama family like the Grimaldi's of Monaco!
Lol and then we have people who have proclaimed years ago that the Grimaldi's are messy and trashy and someone like Charlotte was too much for those precious princes.
  #610  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 989
If it's true that BP and Number 10 are already in discussions about all of this, even with everything else happening right now, then it does imply that there are probably serious questions being raised about Harry's status as a Councilor of State, their titles, RPO funding, and more that might go deeper than just "at the will of Her Majesty."

Some posters here have made quite a show of proclaiming that if Edward VIII, Andrew, Beatrice, and Eugenie can all keep their titles and HRHs then Harry and Meghan can, too. However, absolutely none of those are the same circumstances we're seeing here. In fact, if Harry and Meghan had handled this all differently then I suspect we wouldn't see the public outcry for their titles to be removed, etc. We might even be able to wish them well and watch them go do whatever it is that they believe will make them happy. However, most people do not take lightly the idea that these relatively minor and, in the grand scheme of things, unimportant figures, believe that they are entitled to dictate to HM how things will be done, what they will be given, what they will be entitled to, etc. That simply isn't the way this works. They can ask, they can speak to, they can lay out an idea for, but they can't dictate. They simply aren't that important and aren't in that position. None of the four being held up as examples have taken that tact and it's precisely for that reason that many, myself included, believe that ultimately they will no longer be a part of the BRF and will no longer have their titles, their HRHs, any public funding whatsoever, and probably no funding from the Duchy in the long run. You cannot expect to be able to go into this with these high-handed tactics and expect to get your way. If for no other reason than the fact that after this behavior it will need to be made very clear to them exactly what their place and position is and that the BRF does not revolve around them.

The Queen showed her willingness to act swiftly, decisively, and forcefully when she made the decision to handle Andrew's issues as she did. I very much doubt that she'll hesitate to show these two exactly what and who they are, what their standing is, and exactly who is in charge.
  #611  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I suppose that's one way to look at it. Or, conversely, she's the only one who managed to adapt and thrive and that may be due in large part to her stable family background and long relationship prior to marriage that gave her time to feel more comfortable with the pressures, the press, the family, and the system as a whole. In fact, every single one of these things could also be said about Sophie. None of the other three had or gave themselves the time, the stability, etc.
I think is a very good point. Longer relationship or in Sophie's case she was older. Meghan was older too but she to didn't have the most stable of backgrounds. Neither did Sarah and Diana and their was trauma IN Harry and Williams. But you have to give it to both those women, Sarah and Diana, William, Bea and Eugenie turned out great. And with time and stability I am sure Harry would be great too.
  #612  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:03 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
You nailed it!!! Many people have actually speculated Meghan's fame angle after her Vanity Fair cover (Mad about Harry!!) hahaha lol

For me, it was their wedding. She invited celebrities that she knows very little of and few old friends. Only mom as a family member.Who does that at Global Stage? The fact that she thought it was ok to do that, it shows Meghan's narcissistic behaviour. Families are not perfect. But usually families stick together in good and bad. She doesn't understand this concept. Everything is about me-gain. and Harry is indulging her - whether because of his love for her or mental health issues, i don't know.

They don't bring the best in each other, which will be a downfall for them.
This is where you are wrong. Meghan only had her dear close friends and her mother up in front. You can speculate about the rest. That is your opinion but that part is just false. I literally can list every close friend and how long they have been her friend. No need to peddle lies.

And honestly at this point we know all about her toxic family. We still shocked they were not there? Really?
  #613  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,753
Breaking news:

The Queen has convened a meeting of all four royal households and ‘tasked’ them with coming up with a ‘workable’ future role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within ‘days not weeks’. The discussions will take place 'at pace' and will involve both the government and the home secretary. It is understood that foreign governments - presumably Canada - will be involved too.
  #614  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:11 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Breaking news:

The Queen has convened a meeting of all four royal households and ‘tasked’ them with coming up with a ‘workable’ future role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within ‘days not weeks’. The discussions will take place 'at pace' and will involve both the government and the home secretary. It is understood that foreign governments - presumably Canada - will be involved too.


Just to add this breaking news has come from the ever popular “royal sources” and is being tweeted on twitter by the ever loveable royal reporting brigade. While I believe discussions have taken place, I only feel it’s right we define the facts now.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #615  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just to add this breaking news has come from the ever popular “royal sources” and is being tweeted on twitter by the ever loveable royal reporting brigade. While I believe discussions have taken place, I only feel it’s right we define the facts now.
Actually it would seem that BP issued a memo. All the correspondents posted at the same time. That tends to signal something landing in their inbox.
  #616  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Actually it would seem that BP issued a memo. All the correspondents posted at the same time. That tends to signal something landing in their inbox.

If BP issued a memo, we’d have seen it and royal reporters would have had no need to use the words royal sources, they could have just as easily and more credible in fact said that BP had told them.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #617  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Duchessmary's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 1,448
To be honest, I'm scratching my head. I can certainly understand why they want to do this, and I don't blame them. But to not inform the Queen or anyone else before making the announcement? Strange.
  #618  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 989
I certainly wonder about the authenticity of this "Breaking News" but it's not out of the realm of possibility, either. However, if this is true, then I hope that this isn't an indication that the Queen or any of the royal households have any intention of bending to the will of Harry and Meghan. There's absolutely nothing about any of this that should cause them to feel as though they have let H & M "win" after the way they've handled this. I'm not British so I can't say that I speak with for the British people but I'm almost certain that allowing their demands to be met and bending to their will would not be seen as a positive development.
  #619  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Breaking news:

The Queen has convened a meeting of all four royal households and ‘tasked’ them with coming up with a ‘workable’ future role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within ‘days not weeks’. The discussions will take place 'at pace' and will involve both the government and the home secretary. It is understood that foreign governments - presumably Canada - will be involved too.
If Harry wanted to leave leave his life he should have done this quietly. And you know what more power to them in that case. Instead they have behaved like unstable, volatile brats. Throwing a tantrum to.force everyone's hand to basically do this quickly. This is basically a divorce.settlement and they will gwt some of what they want. No hard ball but I don't see it ending in happiness for Harry. And I hope very much his path would lead to that but some people do not have the talent for it and as others have said Harry is a follower in many ways and the combination of the two people has led to this.
  #620  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:28 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If BP issued a memo, we’d have seen it and royal reporters would have had no need to use the words royal sources, they could have just as easily and more credible in fact said that BP had told them.
Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the
Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 07:30 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names baptism britain british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house colorblindness customs dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii general news thread george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers luxembourg medical monarchy mountbatten names nepalese royal family pless prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess chulabhorn walailak princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family swedish queen thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×