The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Even the MP for the area they live in has said that they should pay for their own security. At this point, if the government insists on paying for their security, I suspect Trudeau will be out of a job soon.

Oprah is not, and has not ever been in the business of presenting facts. She has an financial investment in Harry and Meghan being successful--Harry has at the very least collaborated with her on something regarding mental health. She is trying to do what she can to ensure that these collaborations are a ratings success and make her money.
They really need to - it’s not like they were invited to live in Canada, they just decided they were going to. The whole security issue is based in the fact that they are Royal, but they really kind of aren’t... are they ? Would other non-working royals get security if they came to Canada - or US?

I guess Oprah will be like their PR person - people love her, so they’ll believe anything she says about Meghan and Harry

Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

What exactly are you basing Oprah going to be their PR person on? Because she (and Hoda too!) was asked and gave her opinion about the Sussexes' decision? I'm not sure how that somehow translates into her speaking on their behalf.

LaRae

Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What exactly are you basing Oprah going to be their PR person on? Because she (and Hoda too!) was asked and gave her opinion about the Sussexes' decision? I'm not sure how that somehow translates into her speaking on their behalf.

LaRae
I'm going to guess that people are seeing at least Oprah in the same light as they see Jessica and Amal now, sort of unofficial spokespeople. If she were truly just a well known television personality that was asked her opinion and answered I doubt people would see her as an unofficial spokesperson. However, considering she has personal connections to Meghan and Harry, she would seem to have a bit of an "in" or an insight into what they may be thinking, the circumstances, etc.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I was kidding, lol....my sarcastic sense of humor doesn’t translate on line, I guess !
Old 01-23-2020, 12:52 AM
Courtier

Now that I've read nearly 4300 posts it's time for me to add my two pennyworth.

When I first heard of this a couple of weeks ago, my first reaction was that Harry and Meghan want to have their cake and eat it too. My next reaction was, it's not so much the WHY they did it, but the problem lies in HOW. And it seems as though 95% of posters in this thread think the same.

And my other reactions (in no particular order):

What about their engagement spiel when they said, as I recall, they weren't going to read the press. Seems they've done nothing but. And only the bad press. What about all the good stuff – and there has been lots. I know this cause i only tend to read the positive articles, unless written by someone who really knows their onions re the BRF. I only go onto DM for the pictures, although I have read the odd article but NEVER the comments. And I never buy those trashy magazines at the supermarket where they always have the most unflattering pics of Camilla, Beatrice, Eugenie, always with the mention of the word 'feud', always 'officially' telling us Kate is pregnant yet again (how many babies does that make now so it is easy to avoid the negative stuff.

I know those comments are out there, but look at the good stuff. Take a typical picture of regular people meeting the RF – look how happy they look. Look at the crowds that turned up for H&M's wedding; they were certainly happy. Happy faces always seem to surround royal turnouts. I think you'd have to out of your way to read all those negative media articles. I know it's not about me, but I certainly find sticking to Hello or Majesty keeps me happy. I don't need to see pap pictures. And if I want to read constructive criticism, i come here to this forum cause i know royalty's not always sweetness and light. And I know us forum people know what's true and correct and what's made up. Well, nearly always.

It's certainly put paid to a potential thread as to when Meghan's going to receive the Family Order. Not to mention the future wearing of serious bling!

In Canada/North America H won't have the support of his friends and family close by. Of course to be fair we could say the same of M in England.

Two years is certainly not enough time to relax into the job.
Of course 'they' say that the first two years of a relationship is a honeymoon period, where you view your partner as perfect and can do no wrong, and it's only when you settle into real life that you can see them (and love them hopefully) warts and all. I've always believed H&M rushed into the marriage, although I can see why, given her age and we certainly know H wanted children. But as many, many others have pointed out, those who lasted the distance BEFORE their engagements have lasted the distance WITHIN the RF, Sophie, Kate etc. Autumn. Jack Brooksbank, although it's quite early yet with Eugenie, but I see absolutely no problem there.

In the words of that 'other' fabulous Queen:
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all – and I want it NOW!"

I certainly believe H&M started off their marriage really wanting to get into it all and do the right thing, the flowers on her veil testify to that. I do think they really tried and I do get they had problems. But not to stay and work it out? Not to have any staying power? Ask The Queen about staying power. Ask the Duke about loyalty.

I think H will live to regret their/his decision to step away. He's never lived in the real world – and if he has any idea that those of us who are not burdened by life in the RF don't have any problems, well he has another think coming. I mean, taking six weeks off before Christmas – that's not gonna fly in the real world. And working 40 hours a week 48 weeks a year is not always a bundle of laughs.

And this business of suing the media that seems to have started up, although to most of us 'great unwashed' having millions in the bank seems just fine and dandy, in the world of the super rich, I don't think H&M are in that league, and suing people is just going to bite into their savings mighty quickly.

H said the other day that he made the final decision; that they wanted to serve but without taking public money. Well, that's just plain silly. If they were allowed to do that, what about the rest of the RF – and before you know it, no one's getting anything to do the Royal job, and then there's just no RF at all. Money is needed. The RF deserve to get 'paid' for what they do. All the ceremonial and charity stuff they do, it doesn't come cheap to set that up. And it all does such a power of good.

I first started getting annoyed with H&M when they said that Archie would not be taking a style and would be plain Master. This is my point of view – Royalty/Monarchy, it's an artificial construct. They have no real power. They're not really needed. But, boy, do they add a bit of magic to a dull life (like mine :) And of course they do a power of good. But it's up to them to keep their side of the bargain – they do the Royal engagements, show up, smile, say the right things, wear the right tiara, and we, the people, turn up to see them do it. We support them, they support us; it's teamwork. But when one of the team says he doesn't want to play the game, doesn't want to do it anymore except on their own terms, well it lets the public down.

And then that documentary. Said their pieces without even thinking, there they are in a country where an enormous amount of people find it difficult to even LIVE let alone survive, with no chance at all of ever thriving, well it was totally the wrong forum. And as for H confirming he and William were having problems, why feed the beast? If you don't want media outbursts, don't feed them. And don't let William down at the same time; I thought you were going to have his back. Keep your brotherly squabbles private. And then for Meghan to say to a group of women, 'I am here as your sister, as a woman, as a woman of colour' (or words to that effect), well, no, Meghan, you were there because you were Royal, as a member of the BRF. You and H were asked to go, it wasn't your idea. And here's another to add to an avalanche of niggles – she never seemed to understand that H was the one who should go first, she only married in to the family, he was the born Royal. Now, back here in the 'real' world, I totally would agree that women are equal to men, totally agree, but it's not how the RF works. ANd it's not that she's a woman, Tim Laurence knows how to step back too, and the DoE is of course a past master. Certainly she should have a voice, but not THE voice of the couple. JMO of course.

And as for that wish list on the SussexRoyal website... don't get me started.

Of course we shouldn't compare, but some other Royal wives whose names begin with K or S (or husbands beginning with T for that matter), have just got down, buckled up, and done all those mundane engagements without fail, and it's NEVER mundane to someone who's gone to the trouble of being there when a Royal person goes by. I myself in all my long long years (heh heh) have seen the Queen Mother, The Queen, Duke, Charles, Anne and even Diana, here in NZ. I travelled out of my way to see them, took time off work, and was so happy when I just got a glimpse. Doesn't take much to make me happy I wouldn't go anywhere to meet a politician or a 'celebrity'. Royalty is magic to me. I'd rather not hear about their problems – I have enough of my own. PS I'm two years older than Diana would have been and yes, it was Diana that started off my interest in royalty. And she was just so lovely at the start before it all turned to custard. But that's another thread.

All my own honest opinions above, not meant to upset anybody.

As the song goes: "It's sad, so sad, it's a sad sad situation..." and I can't see it ending well...
Old 01-23-2020, 01:13 AM
Royal Highness

Well said! I couldn’t agree more.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:34 AM
Royal Highness

Ellie, I agree with everything you’ve said...and yay that someone else also thinks H and M ate going the way of Veruca Salt, lol

They’ve let their family and many people down. They’ve shown an unfortunate sense of entitlement and an astonishing lack of awareness (that Africa interview, my god). The BRF is about duty, sacrifice and commitment ...they’ve not shown any of these. Consider the Queen, who lost her beloved father at a young age because he gave his life to the crown; no wonder she’s so disappointed. She sacrificed precious family time, Philip sacrificed his career...I could go on.

Harry and Meghan talk of family, but they’re devastating the BRF and separating Archie from grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles that he’ll never know...
Old 01-23-2020, 02:09 AM
Courtier

I had been team Harry and Meghan but not so much now, after the big mess they've caused. I still wish them well but I'm pretty much done.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:50 AM
Courtier

A lot of people emigrate, for one reason or another, and raise their children in another country. With people leaving the UK, it's usually for another English-speaking country, so Australia, New Zealand, the US or Canada, none of which allow for regular visits if you're an ordinary person with limited funds and only a few weeks' annual leave from work every year. But that doesn't mean that the children can't have a relationship with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, especially in these days of Skype and Facetime. Even in Queen Victoria's day, they used to be writing letters all the time. It's up to Harry and Meghan. They can put Archie on Facetime to Prince Charles every day, if they want. I somehow doubt that they will, but the distance itself doesn't have to mean that Archie won't have a relationship with the Royal Family, or indeed with the Spencers.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I didn't say the queen would - I said that Meghan might think the Queen might. And the fact that she left Archie in Canada for the five minutes she showed up in the UK tells me that she probably isn't going to take Archie to the UK anytime soon.

Harry might speak up and take him there himself - but at the moment he's pretty much doing what Meghan wants. So I doubt it will be in the near future.
Yeah because not wanting to drag a seven month old across the world for 48 hours is insane. I mean it’s a clear sign her son will never fly again.

Sorry have yet to see one Rational argument From you as to why you think Meghan will never return to the UK or allow her son. Or for that matter one rational reason Harry would allow her to control it all.

They have both said they will continue with their British charities. They have kept Frogmore as a Family home. They have said that Archie will know his family and his home country. Where in this do you see them saying he will never come back.

Meghan is not an idiot. She also doesn’t think that the queen or Charles are after her. And FYI if the queen wanted Archie he wouldn’t have to be in the UK. Canada would enforce custody and Meghan knows that. Meghan isn’t hiding in some country with no extradition treaty believing he will be taken.

Meghan grew up in a broken family. Her siblings were grown up before she was born. Until her father started selling her out literally to the press. She had a relationship with her mom as well as a niece and nephew.

I see people using her broken relationship as excuse why she tries to destroy Harry who seems to be a mindless sock puppet to you and his family. When really it’s the exact opposite. Why does William love the Middletons? Because he gets the close family he missed. Meghan is the same way. Meghan was extremely close to her grandmothers before they died and a grandfather. There is no rational reason to suggest she’d want less for her son.

They plan to divide their time between countries. When they are back in Uk for less then two days Archie will surely come.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:52 AM
Nobility

Did they really miss the worldwide patent for their brand?
Maybe now it does not matter much if they can no longer use Sussex Royal but if the story is true it shows another time that the whole fuss has not been well organized.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 AM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

The telegraph is a serious newspaper in the UK. They report that H&M claim that the RF has been jealous of them and unfriendly towards them. Apparently these issues would date back to December 2018.

Given the source, I trust this is not fake news.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...iendly-prince/
Old 01-23-2020, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yeah because not wanting to drag a seven month old across the world for 48 hours is insane. I mean it’s a clear sign her son will never fly again.

Sorry have yet to see one Rational argument From you as to why you think Meghan will never return to the UK or allow her son. Or for that matter one rational reason Harry would allow her to control it all.

They have both said they will continue with their British charities. They have kept Frogmore as a Family home. They have said that Archie will know his family and his home country. Where in this do you see them saying he will never come back.

Meghan is not an idiot. She also doesn’t think that the queen or Charles are after her. And FYI if the queen wanted Archie he wouldn’t have to be in the UK. Canada would enforce custody and Meghan knows that. Meghan isn’t hiding in some country with no extradition treaty believing he will be taken.

Meghan grew up in a broken family. Her siblings were grown up before she was born. Until her father started selling her out literally to the press. She had a relationship with her mom as well as a niece and nephew.

I see people using her broken relationship as excuse why she tries to destroy Harry who seems to be a mindless sock puppet to you and his family. When really it’s the exact opposite. Why does William love the Middletons? Because he gets the close family he missed. Meghan is the same way. Meghan was extremely close to her grandmothers before they died and a grandfather. There is no rational reason to suggest she’d want less for her son.

They plan to divide their time between countries. When they are back in Uk for less then two days Archie will surely come.

We'll see -time will tell. I still think that Meghan and Harry won't take Archie back to England. When they have to go back he will go alone. I don't think she will go back.

She's made it clear she doesn't like England. And I don't think she has any intention on returning.

But time will tell - you might be right. Or I might be.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
The telegraph is a serious newspaper in the UK. They report that H&M claim that the RF has been jealous of them and unfriendly towards them. Apparently these issues would date back to December 2018.

Concerning the telegraph, LOL
does any adult seriously agree that making crocodile tears and comments on a video which is meant to be published worlwide is the correct attempt to attract attention, understanding, love and change from their closest family members?
But maybe this is really what H&M are like, instead of talking& asking for help like any normal person would do in a family,
they do things differently and show up in a film to get what they want.
To me this is sad but ridiculous aswell, anything but mature.
And yes, if something is most possibly true in this article maybe M.'s opinion the RF is too slow...and she was not able to shape her new role.....
She yet has not understand her new life is not a role ( in sense of acting) and not she is important but the monarchy!

Sorry, but I really laughed when reading the telegraph, even pro-sussex should be objective enough to see that the way those two acted could only lead into a mess.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

We don’t know anything. So in that I agree. People are taking liberties and speaking things as truth on all sides. It’s what they want to believe, whether true or not. Honestly the truth doesn’t even matter at this point.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Tuesday night Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands was in an interview program Op1 on NPO1. It is a current news program and the situation of the duke and duchess of Sussex came up.

The presentors asked if he followed what was happening in the British RF. His answer: "from a very appropriate distance".

On a question of the presenter if he felt connected to what happening he answered: "In a way I feel connected but they have a very different position than mine in that family. They have all kinds of formal duties. Here we have chosen a different solution. Although I am inside the Royal House, we -my brother as well when he was alive- have to make our own income. And that is a very different solution. They seem to be more stuck between those two worlds. And good, they have made their choice. And I think it was also brave of them."

After that the program went to a clip from a documentary about the prince in 2019, where he says that he lives like anybody else and he is doing groceries in an Albert Heijn supermarket.

"Yes a little less glamourous" he dryly remarked after the clip was over.

When asked the prince repeats that he thinks it is a brave decision as prince Harry probably also doesn't yet know what he gets himself into."I think a lot of things will still happen to him, as we have seen [the last weeks]. He choses for himself and for his wife..." The presenter wanted to conclude the topic and ended the sentence for the prince: "choosing for your wife is always good" after which the Prince smiled and did not say a word.

Today the Belgian French speaking newspapers of Sudpresse published comments of Prince Laurent, with whom they seemed to have talked about the matter. He said that "no person should be the possession of his family. The situation with Harry proves one thing: you are just 'the son of...'. You are an object. That is unacceptable. You can not let a person live in such a situation. A person should not be the property of a family, or the government. Or you should be compensated. That is why I never agreed to that. And that is why I was punished. Hopefully it will change because I do not want to be the victim of archaic people. I do no longer want to be a thing that is the property of a structure, a government or a state."

Last week the prince was asked about the couple during a visit. He replied that he was happy for them if they are happy. And added: "I also had a job and I still hope to get it back. Things are looking good in that respect, but I can not say more about it." When the topic moved back to the duke and duchess of Sussex he concluded the chat by saying: 'actually, it is none of my business'.

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty/...ilie~a2165505/

Note that for a while Prince Laurent had an arrangement simular to what Harry and Meghan wanted: inside the family, receiving public money (though much less of it and directly from the state) ánd the freedom to pursue his own business (ad)ventures. After a few scandals he was forced by the Belgian government to give up his private carreer.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very interesting Marengo thank you.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
A lot of people emigrate, for one reason or another, and raise their children in another country. With people leaving the UK, it's usually for another English-speaking country, so Australia, New Zealand, the US or Canada, none of which allow for regular visits if you're an ordinary person with limited funds and only a few weeks' annual leave from work every year. But that doesn't mean that the children can't have a relationship with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, especially in these days of Skype and Facetime. Even in Queen Victoria's day, they used to be writing letters all the time. It's up to Harry and Meghan. They can put Archie on Facetime to Prince Charles every day, if they want. I somehow doubt that they will, but the distance itself doesn't have to mean that Archie won't have a relationship with the Royal Family, or indeed with the Spencers.
FaceTime or Skype is not the same as seeing people in person, and Charles for sure apparently isn’t allowed to visit when ever he wants to (I’m not sure about anyone else).
Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
We don’t know anything. So in that I agree. People are taking liberties and speaking things as truth on all sides. It’s what they want to believe, whether true or not. Honestly the truth doesn’t even matter at this point.
The contents of the article has been said many times in others ways. There are many sides to any store - the way the two sides see it , then the perceptions of the outside parties, then the truth.
I did however find it odd when I was told by a royal correspondent that Meghan couldn't understand why the royal women couldn't be like Beyoncé, Serena Williams, Oprah and Michele Obama. That was the treatment and support she wanted. She wanted loud and obvious support.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige
FaceTime or Skype is not the same as seeing people in person, and Charles for sure apparently isn’t allowed to visit when ever he wants to (I’m not sure about anyone else).
The Prince of Wales is not the only person in a situation like this. Millions of people are and if they want to they can find a solution and still have a great relationship and play a significant role in each others lives. My mother in law -in Portugal- sees her grand son -in Canada- every day on Skype. They have dinner/breakfast together on nearly a daily basis. They see each other in person maybe twice per year but the bond they have seems to be very close. I think an international upbringing can be very beneficial for children, though I understand many will feel differently about that, esp. in the times we are living in at the moment. The dry reality is that there are an unprecedented amount of children raised in families of multi nationalities and Archie is one of them. Let's not make it more dramatic than it is.