The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And a revelation that there was nothing to scathing accusations that suddenly flared up (and if I'm not mistaken, were alleged to be initiated by the Cambridges' communications secretary) ahead of the Oprah interview wouldn't be a PR nightmare?

The time of the release of these accusations was 'convenient,' but they had happened long in the past. I wouldn't say they were instigated by Knauf. He reported something alarming. Then it was alleged by camp Sussex it was because he was close to an incompetent worker. Which was also crass. And fairly insinuating he was protecting a friend or perhaps someone closer. Knauf appears to have always conducted his work morally. Convenient appearance of certain information in the public domain aside. But the Cambridges couldn't speak for themselve.

All truth is perspective and I have no doubt that these complaints had validity

:ermm:
Thanks so much for sharing this! I had wondered what had happened to this report. I do hope that BP learned some things and that the investigation will inform any needed new HR practices. While I (and others I’m sure) would like to know the results of the investigation, due to ongoing issues with the Sussexes, I would imagine HM and the RF don’t want any more publicity about this.

Where there is smoke, there is fire….so very sad:ermm:
I sincerely hope that changes have been made to the HR policies so staff can feel confident and comfortable if they need to speak up about their concerns.

I find the whole than thing rather predictable.

The investigation would not have either exonerated or cast blame on Meghan because it was focused on palace policies to protect the workplace environment. The palace didn't investigate whether the allegations were true or false.

The problem with releasing the results is that the report necessarily includes the original complaints. Regardless of whether the complaints were false, some people would still believe them to be true. Conversely, if the complaints were true, some people would be attacking the complainants.

Personally, I still find it interesting that Harry and Meghan have sued over allegations that he was being untruthful about the security arrangements. To me the allegations against Meghan are far more damaging.

The investigation would not have either exonerated or cast blame on Meghan because it was focused on palace policies to protect the workplace environment. The palace didn't investigate whether the allegations were true or false.

The problem with releasing the results is that the report necessarily includes the original complaints. Regardless of whether the complaints were false, some people would still believe them to be true. Conversely, if the complaints were true, some people would be attacking the complainants.

Personally, I still find it interesting that Harry and Meghan have sued over allegations that he was being untruthful about the security arrangements. To me the allegations against Meghan are far more damaging.

Quite and quite. If you sue frequently, when you don't everyone persumes it must be true.

Meghan has never once categorically denied these allegations in fact her lawyer said she wouldn't want to negate anyones truth.

Last edited:
Meghan has denied these allegations. It has been denied from day one.

Meghan has sued (and won) over her kids and direct attacks from direct people. This is vague allegations made via no names. Her lawyers did request info about who it was directly from and what she was exactly accused of -- and yet nothing was made of that.

It will be interesting though if Tom Bower does what he claims and "reveals the truth about the bullying" in his book. That is very very different and that reaction will be something especially when he has already been sued for libel before. Time will tell...

Anyways this non report didn't do anything new except create new headlines.

Meghan has sued (and won) over her kids and direct attacks from direct people. This is vague allegations made via no names. Her lawyers did request info about who it was directly from and what she was exactly accused of -- and yet nothing was made of that.

It will be interesting though if Tom Bower does what he claims and "reveals the truth about the bullying" in his book. That is very very different and that reaction will be something especially when he has already been sued for libel before. Time will tell...

She didn't really. It was a fudge claiming a smear campaign. And there were names. Everyone knew who it was. In any case it doesn't matter. None of it is important. The thing which is important is that future employees are protected from objectionable behaviour.

Of course Bower would say that. Gotta promote your book. It will just be one more in a pletoria of books.

I don't know whether these allegations are true or not - and neither does anyone else on the board - unless they have direct information.

I agree that Meghan has denied (weakly) the allegations but Valentine Low described seeing Meghan berating one of her staff. She chose not to sue even though that is a very specific allegation.

As Fig Tree points out, when someone sues over forgettable articles (the timing of Harry's security discussions) and don't sue over something this substantive, it is not unreasonable to conclude the substantive allegation is true. That is why the palace rarely confirms or denies stories, especially if they are petty (Meghan made Kate cry).

The bottom line is that no matter what the palace concluded about their internal procedures, Meghan is going to be damaged more by the report than the palace.

I don't know whether these allegations are true or not - and neither does anyone else on the board - unless they have direct information.

I agree that Meghan has denied (weakly) the allegations but Valentine Low described seeing Meghan berating one of her staff. She chose not to sue even though that is a very specific allegation.

As Fig Tree points out, when someone sues over forgettable articles (the timing of Harry's security discussions) and don't sue over something this substantive, it is not unreasonable to conclude the substantive allegation is true. That is why the palace rarely confirms or denies stories, especially if they are petty (Meghan made Kate cry).

The bottom line is that no matter what the palace concluded about their internal procedures, Meghan is going to be damaged more by the report than the palace.

That was very well said.

To avoid premature closure of the thread, I suggest everyone review the guidelines for posting that are listed on the first page of this thread, as well as the general forum rules.

The Duchess of Sussex, Gloria Steinem and Jessica Yellin talked to Vogue „on Abortion Rights, the ERA, and Why They Won’t Give Up Hope“:

** vogue article: Gloria Steinem, the Duchess of Sussex, and Jessica Yellin on Abortion Rights, the ERA, and Why They.. **

I won't say I understand the particular ins and outs of the current issue in the USA. In th UK it is a non issue and it is regulated medically. Having said that, we must have all voices on the issue so fine. I don't know who this Jessica but obviously know who Steinem is.

I checked she is a serious journalist. Do I think Meghan belongs with them? Not really. But if people want to give her the platform. Fine.

Last edited:
I won't say I understand the particular ins and outs of the current issue in the USA. In th UK it is a non issue and it is regulated medically. Having said that, we must have all voices on the issue so fine. I don't know who this Jessica but ibviously know who Steinem is.

I checked she is a serious journalist. Do I think Meghan belongs with them? Not really. But if people want to give her the platform. Fine.

But what has she done to earn the platform for a very serious and contentious issue with a feminist icon of decades and a reputable journalist? Marry someone? :ermm:

I know Meghan has long professed feminism and done various things in support of it. That's fine. But she has about as much cred as I do, and I don't want to hear from her when the country's being ripped apart and women are going to die.

If this was the ONLY thing she had ever chosen to speak out on post-royal I would have more respect for her. As it is, it's less "incredibly important" and more "just somewhere else she can gain attention". She's long diluted her cred away, imho.

Is the Duchess planning to do anything else — like continue campaigning for reproductive rights, or make visits to states where it's now banned, or donate for transport — or does she think talking to Vogue will be enough?

Last edited:
But what has she done to earn the platform for a very serious and contentious issue with a feminist icon of decades and a reputable journalist? Marry someone? :ermm:

I know Meghan has long professed feminism and done various things in support of it. That's fine. But she has about as much cred as I do, and I don't want to hear from her when the country's being ripped apart and women are going to die.

If this was the ONLY thing she had ever chosen to speak out on post-royal I would have more respect for her. As it is, it's less "incredibly important" and more "just somewhere else she can gain attention". She's long diluted her cred away, imho.

Is the Duchess planning to do anything else — like continue campaigning for reproductive rights, or make visits to states where it's now banned, or donate for transport — or does she think talking to Vogue will be enough?

Not everyone earns their platform on their own merit. Not everyone deserves a platform. People only have one when others listen and it is very nice to be in Vogue I'm sure.

I listened to the news and heard a worker at an abortion clinic talk about the issues they see. Found it enlightening. Do you want to hear your own voice or do you want to lend your spotlight so others can speak?

Last edited:
I mean we are on a royal forum. What has any of them done to earn their massive platform outside of marriage and being born to someone? At least Meghan has been active most of life on women's issues -- whether you agree with her or not.

It was an interesting chat. Meghan speaking alone will cause some who were likely not paying attention to suddenly take focus, which is the point.

Last edited:
Meghan is drawing herself and Harry into deeper and deeper waters with regards to American politics. She is now talking about going to Washington to protest a decision made by the Supreme Court, a still HRH British Royal Duchess protesting about a decision made by the U.S. Supreme Court! Whether she likes it or not Trump was explicit that if he won against Clinton he would appoint pro-life justices and he did, so if she wants to make this about the mid-terms he can also say he had a mandate when he appointed Kavanagh etc. The Queen surely must do something about this, the Sussex's are really overstepping the mark now.

Last edited:
Why should she. They no longer work there and nothing they say reflects on the royal family. So why the Queen should even be interested I don’t know. This is a highly controversial issue around the world. That in most of Europe it is treated privately just marks the difference. I mean a member of the royal family, a politician, or really anyone having anything to say on abortion who is isn’t a medical professional is just so far in the past. I certainly wouldn’t discuss it with anyone, if Meghan is brave enough. Fine. Having read it though she didn’t say anything of use really.

Last edited:

- Other than the than Jessica & Gloria own thoughts on why Meghan fit the bill for want they wanted, I can give you my reasoning if you'd like over private chat because I'm not trying to get into in this thread. I would like to point out, it was more than just marrying someone in *my eyes* though, it helped and would help anyone person that ends up married to someone with a high profile.

- In the article / interview it stated that Gloria & Meghan have been working while now and their main focus is to get the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) ratified. It's something Gloria has been working at and she's happy that Meghan is joining her so we can assume, they'll be doing more work together and whatever plans they have, are their plans.

--- and this is just my own thoughts and not a response from here on.

In 2016, I had an abortion. I had just left one job and was starting at another. While I figured out what to do, I cried myself to sleep most nights. I didn't want to be...on this earth. Finally, I managed to get a credit card and with the money from the few weeks I started working, I managed to get it. My boss at the new job told me I couldn't take the day off and I broke down in tears at work because I about a week and half from the cut off date (I remember as it was right around thanks giving). My co-worker, the sweetest woman ever, saw me, I explained what happened and she said became like a mom and was like "NOPE. don't worry about it, I got you."

And she did.

And it wasn't until I was at home after that I felt like I could breathe again. I felt like I could live again.

All of that being said, this is a human rights issue, this is an issue that will cripple poor woman and woc and absolutely black women the most. (even rich black women as Serena almost died because she was ignored despite being THE Serena.)

So, I'm extremely happy Meghan spoke on the subject, I'm extremely happy to know see the faith and friendship put in her Gloria and the faith put in her by Jessica. I'm glad she covered because I've seen this interview has reach and everyone, especially Americans need to understand how devastating this will be in the future. I'm glad Meghan spoke out even if people mock, attack, belittle or roll their eyes at her, as long as they're taking about the issue at hand or their is talk about the issue, I'll be grateful.

And yes, there are other voices speaking on this issue. As they should but not everyone will listen to those voices, not everyone will listen to Meghan's voice because she's Meghan, it's getting covered all over. I've seen Today, Town and Country, Huffpost, Hello Canada and many other outlets that might not cover other voices, are covering this interview.

Either way, I'm thankful. I can only speak for myself but as someone who as lived this experience, who has lived this fear....yeah, ANYONE speaking out on this has my support, however they got their platform. Meghan had a platform before this, it might not have been huge, as big but she has used her voices, this isn't new and I'm not gonna act like I'm not happy that her marrying Harry has given her a bigger platform and a bigger chance to spotlight this issue and those who work with her are surely happy as well.

Now, all of that being said, I'm probs going to bounce until this thread is closed because I honestly don't know how this will go and this is too much of a trigger topic for my me to feel some type of way. It's easier when the thread is closed because you can't reply and let your emotions get in the way of things, tho, if someone quotes and wants to have a real talk, I'm down.

And also,

if anyone has experienced getting an abortions, thinking about it or anything related and you need someone to talk to because there isn't anyone IRL that you can talk to, my messages are open. (I never told my family, we're religious, I'm the pastors granddaughter and my mom had me out of wedlock. there's a lot of trauma in the family around that.) So, even you like Meghan or not, you need a safe-space, for this topic, I'm open.

:flowers:

Why should she. They no longer work there and nothing they say reflects on the royal family. So why the Queen should even be interested I don’t know. This is a highly controversial issue around the world. That in most of Europe it is treated privately just marks the difference. I mean a member of the royal family, a politician, or really anyone having anything to say on abortion who is isn’t a medical professional is just so far in the past. I certainly wouldn’t discuss it with anyone, if Meghan is brave enough. Fine. Having read it though she didn’t say anything of use really.

The Queen should be interested because they are still using the titles she gave them when it was expected they would be representing the British Royal family.

- Other than the than Jessica & Gloria own thoughts on why Meghan fit the bill for want they wanted, I can give you my reasoning if you'd like over private chat because I'm not trying to get into in this thread. I would like to point out, it was more than just marrying someone in *my eyes* though, it helped and would help anyone person that ends up married to someone with a high profile.

- In the article / interview it stated that Gloria & Meghan have been working while now and their main focus is to get the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) ratified. It's something Gloria has been working at and she's happy that Meghan is joining her so we can assume, they'll be doing more work together and whatever plans they have, are their plans.

--- and this is just my own thoughts and not a response from here on.

In 2016, I had an abortion. I had just left one job and was starting at another. While I figured out what to do, I cried myself to sleep most nights. I didn't want to be...on this earth. Finally, I managed to get a credit card and with the money from the few weeks I started working, I managed to get it. My boss at the new job told me I couldn't take the day off and I broke down in tears at work because I about a week and half from the cut off date (I remember as it was right around thanks giving). My co-worker, the sweetest woman ever, saw me, I explained what happened and she said became like a mom and was like "NOPE. don't worry about it, I got you."

And she did.

And it wasn't until I was at home after that I felt like I could breathe again. I felt like I could live again.

All of that being said, this is a human rights issue, this is an issue that will cripple poor woman and woc and absolutely black women the most. (even rich black women as Serena almost died because she was ignored despite being THE Serena.)

So, I'm extremely happy Meghan spoke on the subject, I'm extremely happy to know see the faith and friendship put in her Gloria and the faith put in her by Jessica. I'm glad she covered because I've seen this interview has reach and everyone, especially Americans need to understand how devastating this will be in the future. I'm glad Meghan spoke out even if people mock, attack, belittle or roll their eyes at her, as long as they're taking about the issue at hand or their is talk about the issue, I'll be grateful.

And yes, there are other voices speaking on this issue. As they should but not everyone will listen to those voices, not everyone will listen to Meghan's voice because she's Meghan, it's getting covered all over. I've seen Today, Town and Country, Huffpost, Hello Canada and many other outlets that might not cover other voices, are covering this interview.

Either way, I'm thankful. I can only speak for myself but as someone who as lived this experience, who has lived this fear....yeah, ANYONE speaking out on this has my support, however they got their platform. Meghan had a platform before this, it might not have been huge, as big but she has used her voices, this isn't new and I'm not gonna act like I'm not happy that her marrying Harry has given her a bigger platform and a bigger chance to spotlight this issue and those who work with her are surely happy as well.

Now, all of that being said, I'm probs going to bounce until this thread is closed because I honestly don't know how this will go and this is too much of a trigger topic for my me to feel some type of way. It's easier when the thread is closed because you can't reply and let your emotions get in the way of things, tho, if someone quotes and wants to have a real talk, I'm down.

And also,

if anyone has experienced getting an abortions, thinking about it or anything related and you need someone to talk to because there isn't anyone IRL that you can talk to, my messages are open. (I never told my family, we're religious, I'm the pastors granddaughter and my mom had me out of wedlock. there's a lot of trauma in the family around that.) So, even you like Meghan or not, you need a safe-space, for this topic, I'm open.

:flowers:

My heart goes out to you but I don't think these forums are the place to be for you as this is a very divisive subject and we are only discussing whether royals should be involved in talking about it. I hope you have support going forward.

The Queen should be interested because they are still using the titles she gave them when it was expected they would be representing the British Royal family.

If it’s that worrisome to them or the UK government…take the titles away then. Although I think one thing we are learning is that the title without the force of the royalty behind you is essentially nothing. Just trading on a fancy name.

My heart goes out to you but I don't think these forums are the place to be for you as this is a very divisive subject and we are only discussing whether royals should be involved in talking about it. I hope you have support going forward.

Thank you for your kind words, I did have a lot of support around me. Not my blood family but those I consider family and my friends were there for me every step of the way. I'll say, it was an amazing experience seeing my co-worker who only knew me for a week or so, go to bat for me like that. I don't know what she said/did behind to our manager at the time but she got me the day off and the next day for recovery.

I disagree about the forum being a place for me. I don't have an issue if people talk about if royals should speak on something or not because they're royals. That doesn't bother me. I don't see this political issue but a human rights/women's rights issue so I don't have any skin in the game on that front.

Thank you for your kind words, I did have a lot of support around me. Not my blood family but those I consider family and my friends were there for me every step of the way. I'll say, it was an amazing experience seeing my co-worker who only knew me for a week or so, go to bat for me like that. I don't know what she said/did behind to our manager at the time but she got me the day off and the next day for recovery.

I disagree about the forum being a place for me. I don't have an issue if people talk about if royals should speak on something or not because they're royals. That doesn't bother me. I don't see this political issue but a human rights/women's rights issue so I don't have any skin in the game on that front.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that, I just thought that your situation seems serious and most of us here are on to talk about more flipant things overall. As far as the Royals go (well the British ones anyway) they really can't be seen to be taking sides politically on any subject and whatever your feelings are here it is a divisive debate. Please keep posting though, great to have you involved.

I won't say I understand the particular ins and outs of the current issue in the USA. In th UK it is a non issue and it is regulated medically. Having said that, we must have all voices on the issue so fine. I don't know who this Jessica but obviously know who Steinem is.

I apologize to the moderators, but I feel I need to respond to that comment. If my post is removed, I kindly ask the moderators to please forward it as a private reply to the OP.

There is actually a lot of misinformation about the "ins and outs of the current issue in the USA". Basically what happened is that, in the 1970s, the Supreme Court of the United States, in the Roe v. Wade case, ruled that a woman had an unlimited right to choose to have an abortion of a non-viable fetus without state interference based on her constitutional right to privacy, with legal restrictions allowed, however, depending on how far the woman was into her pregnancy.

Since that was declared a constitutional right, and because the United States has a rigid written constitution with a qualified constitutional amendment procedure, that meant elected legislative bodies in the US could no longer pass ordinary laws restricting or even regulating abortions in the first trimester of pregnancy, and all preexisting laws to that end automatically became null and void (as they were unconstitutional). During the second trimester, ordinary law could regulate the abortion procedure but only for the purpose of protecting maternal health and not for protecting fetal life. After viability, which includes the third trimester of pregnancy and the last few weeks of the second trimester, abortions could be regulated and even prohibited, but only if the laws provided exceptions for abortions necessary to save the "life" or "health" of the mother. In subsequent cases, the Supreme Court for the most part confirmed that central opinion while relaxing it somewhat in terms of which regulations could be imposed by law. In particular, in the early 1990s, in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the Court, while upholding the main decision in Roe v. Wade, abandoned nonetheless the strict "trimester framework", thus opening up the possibility of abortion regulations at earlier stages of the pregnancy based on a more scientific viability analysis (rather than merely counting weeks).

What happened now is that the Court, in a case known as Dobson v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, basically reversed its previous opinions in Roe and Planned Parenthood, declaring that they were wrong and that there is no unrestricted constitutional right to choose to have an abortion of a non-viable fetus based on the right to privacy as implicitly protected by the 14th amendment, and that abortion regulation (or lack thereof) is a matter to be decided by the elected legislatures.

That basically puts the US now in line with the UK, which does not have a rigid written constitution and where abortion is regulated by an act of Parliament (the Abortion Act 1967). Moreover, it puts the US back in line with pratically all other countries in the world where abortions are legal. There are very few countries actually where abortion was declared by the courts to be a constitutional right beyond the reach of elected legislatures. In fact, other than the US pre-Dobson v Jackson, Canada is the only other example I know of where there was such a court ruling (in Canada specifically, R. v. Morgentaler)

An important difference, however, between the US and the UK is that the United States is also a federal state where the regulation of abortion, if the legislature decides to do so, falls under the jurisdiction of each of the states rather than the federal government (in this sense, the United States is now in line with Australia for example). The controversy is that, unlike in most of the developed world where, as you said, that is a "non-issue", some states in the US (not all of them) might elect, by contrast, to severely restrict abortions or even prohibit them altogether, and women in those states can no longer rely on the courts to overturn such state laws based on their alleged conflict with the constitution.

Please note also that, unlike in Canada (and perhaps nowadays Australia ?), it is not true that the UK has scrapped all forms of legal /criminal abortion regulation and now regulates it only as "a medical procedure" as you have claimed. As far as I understand , in the UK,except for situations of risk of life to the pregnant woman, or risk of permanent grave injury to her mental or physical health, or risk of the child being born with severe handicap, it is generally unlawful to have an elective abortion beyond the 24th week of gestation and, even before the 24th week, the women requesting the procedure needs the approval of two doctors on the grounds for example of risk to her mental health (or of any of her preexisting children), which, comparatively, is not required in other countries, where there is an unrestricted legal right to abortion on demand in the first trimester for example.

I think you didn't quite understand the point. In a constitutional monarchy like the United Kingdom (or, for that matter, all other modern kingdoms in Europe), the Royal Family is not responsible for government policy and must abstain from expressing opinions on political/partisan issues, which is the case here.

For example, it would be unthinkable and, indeed, perhaps even unconstitutional in the UK, for the Duchess of Sussex to campaiign publicly for a change in the law (as she is campaigning now for the ratification of the ERA in the US). The position most Britons would take is that, if she wanted to influence the legislative process, she should give up her royal status and stand as a candidate for member of Parliament. The Queen could, in private, express her opinion to the Prime Minister or other ministers on proposed legislation, but such opinions are always confidential and, in any case, once the government has made a decision on its legislative agenda, the Queen must accept it, except for most extreme circumstances. The last monarch for example to veto a legislative bill in Britain was Queen Anne in 1708 and, even then, she did so on the advice of her ministers, and not on her personal decision.

My take in this case, however, is that the Meghan is acting not as the Duchess of Sussex and a representative of the British Crown, but rather as the US citizen Rachel Meghan Markle, which is a legitimate constitutional right that she enjoys in the United States. That would become clearer though if she stopped using her British royal title in the US and did her lobbying activities under her "civilian" name. In my opinion, that would be the right thing to do to eliminate any controversy.

In any case, what that signals to me is that Meghan is "burning bridges" and making any comeback to royal life in the UK an even more remote possibility than it already was.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

I mean we are on a royal forum. What has any of them done to earn their massive platform outside of marriage and being born to someone? At least Meghan has been active most of life on women's issues -- whether you agree with her or not.

It was an interesting chat. Meghan speaking alone will cause some who were likely not paying attention to suddenly take focus, which is the point.

I rather doubt Meghan will move the needle on abortion much in the US, if that’s what you mean. Roe has been over- turned. That will stand imo at least until there is a more liberal court who sees things differently. Which will be some time, I think. They’re appointed for life.

There was plenty of attention on abortion before Roe was overturned; there is plenty now. It’s long been a hot button topic. I doubt Meghan can add much to it.

Not to go OT, but what the court did was refer the matter back to the states. Instead of it being guaranteed within certain parameters nationwide, it now depends on what state you live in and what the law is there. Meghan lives in CA. It’s set there: as in you can have one. I can’t see most people in say Texas (where I live) caring what her opinion is.

She’s welcome to her opinion, but I rather doubt it really matters. It was a big issue before she weighed in. IOW- I don’t think there’s a need for her to bring attention to the subject. And most people are unlikely to just change their minds based on her thoughts.

Last edited:
https://www.thecut.com/2022/06/meghan-markle-calls-on-men-to-be-vocal-about-the-end-of-roe.html

[FONT=&quot]Since the Supreme Court overturned [/FONT]Roe [FONT=&quot]v. [/FONT]Wade[FONT=&quot], rolling back the constitutional right to abortion, many celebrities have expressed [/FONT]outrage and despair,[FONT=&quot] sharing personal stories of [/FONT]abortions[FONT=&quot] and calling on men to step up as [/FONT]allies[FONT=&quot]. In a new conversation with [/FONT]Vogue[FONT=&quot], Meghan Markle called the SCOTUS ruling a “blueprint for reversing rights” and echoed calls for male allyship, sharing that husband Prince Harry’s reaction to the decision was “guttural like mine.” She added, “Men need to be vocal in this moment and beyond because these are decisions that affect relationships, families, and communities at large. They may target women, but the consequences impact all of us.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am glad Meghan is speaking about this issue. And that Harry agrees with her on her conclusions and reactions. As a well known woman and US citizen she has every right to express her disagreement with what has taken place. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I rather doubt Meghan will move the needle on abortion much in the US, if that’s what you mean. Roe has been over- turned. That will stand imo at least until there is a more liberal court who sees things differently. Which will be some time, I think. They’re appointed for life.

There was plenty of attention on abortion before Roe was overturned; there is plenty now. It’s long been a hot button topic. I doubt Meghan can add much to it.

Not to go OT, but what the court did was refer the matter back to the states. Instead of it being guaranteed within certain parameters nationwide, it now depends on what state you live in and what the law is there. Meghan lives in CA. It’s set there: as in you can have one. I can’t see most people in say Texas (where I live) caring what her opinion is.

She’s welcome to her opinion, but I rather doubt it really matters. It was a big issue before she weighed in. IOW- I don’t think there’s a need for her to bring attention to the subject. And most people are unlikely to just change their minds based on her thoughts.

Of course her opinion won't move the needle. Never claimed it would. It will give it additional spotlight and create more dialogue which is the goal. I mean what exactly are we doing on this forum right now? We wouldn't be having this conversation had she not.

That is the whole point of why people go to those with massive platforms. While some don't care one way or another -- there will be someone who will suddenly want to learn and invest more just because someone they like said look more into this.

This is has been a hot button issue for decades and will be for decades more.

Last edited:
Of course her opinion won't move the needle. Never claimed it would. It will give it additional spotlight and create more dialogue which is the goal. I mean what exactly are we doing on this forum right now? We wouldn't be having this conversation had she not.

That is the whole point of why people go to those with massive platforms. While some don't care one way or another -- there will be someone who will suddenly want to learn and invest more just because someone they like said look more into this.

This is has been a hot button issue for decades and will be for decades more.

I guess where we differ is that I don’t think her commentary really gives additional spotlight to the subject. Yes- we’re talking about it, but we’re not debating it. This isn’t the forum for it anyway.

I highly doubt there are many people who have no opinion on abortion, of all subjects. But maybe that just me. I know Meghan has long been interested in women’s issues, but she’s weighed in on other current issues lately. This is just one more.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/06/meghan-markle-calls-on-men-to-be-vocal-about-the-end-of-roe.html

[FONT=&quot]Since the Supreme Court overturned [/FONT]Roe [FONT=&quot]v. [/FONT]Wade[FONT=&quot], rolling back the constitutional right to abortion, many celebrities have expressed [/FONT]outrage and despair,[FONT=&quot] sharing personal stories of [/FONT]abortions[FONT=&quot] and calling on men to step up as [/FONT]allies[FONT=&quot]. In a new conversation with [/FONT]Vogue[FONT=&quot], Meghan Markle called the SCOTUS ruling a “blueprint for reversing rights” and echoed calls for male allyship, sharing that husband Prince Harry’s reaction to the decision was “guttural like mine.” She added, “Men need to be vocal in this moment and beyond because these are decisions that affect relationships, families, and communities at large. They may target women, but the consequences impact all of us.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am glad Meghan is speaking about this issue. And that Harry agrees with her on her conclusions and reactions. As a well known woman and US citizen she has every right to express her disagreement with what has taken place. [/FONT]

She has a right to her opinion, of course.

Though I have little interest in hearing what a male British prince, of all people, thinks on the subject of the American law.

Last edited by a moderator:
He may be a British Prince. However, Harry is also a husband, a father and is residing in the US. His wife lost a baby through miscarriage before her last pregnancy an experience which is just as devastating for the father of the lost baby as it is for the mother. He is entitled to his view too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom