Crown Prince Frederik as a Member of the IOC 2009 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frederik at the DIF Congress
Kronprins Frederik var et hit på talerstolen | Billed Bladet

he looks very young and handsome
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...media/article/kronprinsen_0.jpg?itok=ZSHVop2T

and from the article it looks like his speech was a hit
"It was an extraordinarily enthusiastic and eloquent Crown Prince Frederik, who almost enthralled his audience in Brøndbyhallen at the House of Sport, where the Danish Sports Federation Thursday broached the conduct of this year's major congress.
- Sport is all about fighting, the best one has learned. Let us fight together, said the Crown Prince as one of the last in his excellent speech, which was a hit among the large audience from Danish sports organizations."

Kronprins Frederik: "Sport is not just about competitions. Sport is also about friendship, respect and to enjoy life." #DIFkongres

added:
Another picture of Frederik giving his speech
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...e15/11049146_963279650372319_1821770437_n.jpg

Another article and picture
Kronprins joker med IOC-præsidentens ekstra kilo - Sport
The IOC president said this about Frederik
"He is a good athlete, and I admire that he is currently preparing for Wasa race and considering a marathon this summer.
- He is very active and not just talking about the Olympic spirit. He lives the Olympic spirit, says IOC president.

Thomas Bach says that the crown prince participating in debates in the IOC in line with all other members"

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks Polyesco.

As Frederik has told, him and Mary are practicing their speeches together before going to bed.

And all we Danes may be extra enjoyable today. The weather has proved from its spring side. Nine degrees, blue skies and bright sun. I can feel the spring coming... :D

Last edited:
I rechecked the calendar, it does not say that it was due to Frederik being an IOC members but simply that he speaks at the National Athletic association.
Either way

two more pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_VYxOZXEAEtxG_.jpg:large
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/file...at-the-danish-sports-sederations-congress.jpg

and article
IOC-præsident beundrer Kronprins Frederik: Virkelig en stærk atlet - Øvrig sport | www.bt.dk

quote from Frederik
"I especially remember how frogman training and my work as a frogman changed my world. Here I learned my body's abilities and my mental abilities, "he said.

today he is regent

more pics on the DRF website
http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/foto--video/dif-kongres

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1434897552_fce458204d16f1cfa5f426c1408852aa

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik was at the lectern with the message that sport can save the world for the individual.

a very important message

Thanks Roskilde & Polyesco :flowers:

Yes, Frederik who has so often been pretty poor when it comes to giving speeches and being in the spotlight, appears to have a genuine YES-day here!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2015.
Written by the one and only Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know Frederik as member of the IOC attended the Danish Atletics Association congress, along with the German IOC president, Thomas Bach, with whom Frederik had some friendly banter.
And here Frederik gave a personal speech that must have struck a cord with those who were listening:
"I know from personal experience that sport has the ability to change the world for the individual.
For example my year as a frogman-student (aspirant) and following three years as active Frogman was something that changed the world for me.
The training as aspirant/student may perhaps not be classified as sport in the classical sense, but I will nevertheless claim that it is in many ways comparable to what an individual elite-athlete go through when he or she train for some of the big events.
Based on that I got to learn to know myself, the capabilities of my body and my mind. The knowledge and experience I bring with them in my daily life and when I take part sports-competitions - be that triathlon, mountain bike or sailing.
But you don't have to out into the extreme to feel change. Sport has changed the world for many and still do so daily all over the world. I meet many people who through sport has gotten a better life. From the war veteran who finds a new meaning with life to the salesman who want's life a healthier life, to the retiree who finds a new social life.
When I stood up a a candidate for IOC it was because I knew how big a strength sport has. It can give up some fantastic experiences both as spectators and as active performers. It unite us across the boundaries of religion, ethnicity and social background and that can very much influence our lives in a positive way.
The most important thing in sport is not to win but to take part. The essential thing in life is not conqueror but to fight to the best of your abilities. Let us all fight to the best of our abilities".

The speech was very well received and the chairman of Danish Athletics Association, Niels Nygaard, told BB later: "It was a dedicated and good speech. Both in regards to the Olympic (stuff) and sports in Denmark.
I spoke with Crown Princess Mary at the launching of a swimming project a couple of days later and told (her) how well the Crown Prince had performed. The Crown Princess was both pleased and proud about that".

Frederik has previously told in an interview to the magazine Euroman what it meant to him to become a Frogman: "The education became a turning point for me. That meant that I could finally compare myself with others, because I knew I hadn't been given anything (for free).
I would like to be remembered as someone who makes a difference when I meet people".

Kongehuset.dk has uploaded Frederik's twelve minute long speech at the event last week. A speech he was given great credit for. The first 1:40 minute is in English, the rest is in Danish.

Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

Watched the video and I immediately thought of MidwestMom :p looking at Frederik's hair.
He's still not a great speaker in the sense that he speaks like most Danes speak on the street i.e. not very clear, but he is confident, he is on home ground and he speaks from the heart.
Perhaps he's had some training (and been listening)? If so, GOOD!:)

:previous: thanks
His hair is just fine lol
Excellent speech, some people, no matter how much help, will never be great speakers but you can tell this came from the heart .
You can def. See Frederik has grown more confident in his last speeches, the wind energy one he did recently too

Immediately after his 5 day trip to Nepal with the Danish Red Cross, Frederik went to South Korea as a member of the IOC

"HRH Crown Prince participates in IOC CoCom meeting on 22 and 24th September in PyeongChang, South Korea."

Pyeongchang 2018 hold groundbreaking ceremony at Olympic and Paralympic Village
Pyeongchang 2018 hold groundbreaking ceremony at Olympic and Paralympic Village

Second one on the left hand side ;)
http://cdn1.insidethegames.biz/media/image/11511/o/top%20image.jpg

added:
another photo
http://aroundtherings.com/articles/images/2b2fb910-ce92-40bf-87f2-115ce9d5ee81.jpg

Last edited:
Frederik has today in a large interview in the serious and conservative paper Berlingske announced that he intends to take seven more years in IOC.

I haven't got time right now to translate the many quotes, but that's the gist.
There are also a number of quotes where he talks about pushing the envelope physically. Why and how.

:previous: thanks Muhler

here is the interview that Roskilde had placed
»Jeg har aldrig givet op« - Sport | www.b.dk

A nice interview. He talked about a little about his frogman days, the Olympics in his life, pushing himself physically.
He also mentions how the idea of Denmark hosting the 2007 sailing championships came about. I remember Frederik was also involved in the planning and meetings for Denmark to host a marathon a few years back, and last year another meeting with the Tour de France people and getting Denmark to host part of the trail. it would be nice

He also has a very nice way to describe the Olympians and the hard work they put in

Here is where he talks about the IOC
http://www.b.dk/sport/kronprinsen-tager-otte-aar-mere-i-ioc

"I'm certainly open to continue. IOC has changed much for the better through the seven years I've been with. It has become more transparent and more open, "says Crown Prince Frederik in an exclusive interview with Berlingske.
"I feel it is important that we in Denmark will keep the chair in the IOC, a Dane had continuously for 100 years. Denmark does not automatically have a seat."

Last edited:
As we know Frederik will be attending the Summer Olympics, as an IOC member, he will also be attending various IOC meetings from August 2 to the 5th.
H.K.H. Kronprinsen deltager i IOC’s generalforsamling den 2. – 5. august | Kongehuset

Today, August 1st he along with Mary attended the opening IOC Session
"Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark and Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark take their seats ahead ahead of the opening ceremony of the 129th International Olympic Committee session, in Rio de Janeiro on August 1, 2016, ahead of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games"

http://binaryapi.ap.org/12e2af372252490fba66478c4e3ccace/preview/AP16215029485542.jpg?wm=api&ver=0
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...rik-of-denmark-attend-the-picture-id585109120
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...rik-of-denmark-attend-the-picture-id585108402
Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark and Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark... News Photo | Getty Images

they look great.
Besides these meeting Frederik and Mary, will be attending various events for Denmark

Nice pictures of the Crown Prince Couple on Facebook and Instagram who now have arrived to Rio and attended the IOC opening together:

"The Crown Prince Couple have arrived in Rio de Janeiro, where they have just taken part in the opening of the IOC's general assembly. �� TheDanishMonarchy"

Instragram picture:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BImM37NAT1d/

Facebook picture:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=48a86e5e5a9bb91c16fe02e5953bbfb6&oe=582E2937

I like Mary participates with Frederik to the IOC. They are a strong team together. And always good to participate in each other's things.

Last edited:
That must be an Olympic ties of some sort. The gentleman behind Frederik appear to be wearing the same pattern.

Nice photos of the couple. Fred is wearing a green bead bracelet for some reason.

As IOC member, Frederik has for the past 4 days attended ioc sessions and meetings, tonight August 4, Frederik along with Mary attended the IOC president's dinner.
The opening ceremony is tomorrow August 5th
They both look great
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...-princess-mary-of-denmark-picture-id585975946
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...-princess-mary-of-denmark-picture-id585975934
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...of-denmark-as-she-arrives-picture-id585975940

prince Albert and King Wilem-Alexandar also attended.

Group photo of the IOC members
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8506/28660146962_bc670afb1a_h.jpg

Last edited:
Frederik has got some heat here in DK by left wing politicians and opinion makers, including the Villemann woman for basically repeating the official statement from IOC regarding the Russian athletes.
The decision as the whether the Russian athletes could take place in the Olympics was left in the hands of the individual associations they belong to, in regards to what they take part in.

Frederik repeated that and said it was the right decision.

- He could hardly say anything else, while at the same time remaining loyal to IOC and neutral in regards to the major decisions in the IOC.

But here in the Danish duck-pond that has by some been seen as controversial and not neutral and Frederik as an a-political royal should have dodged the question. - Apparently ignoring the fact that saying nothing is also a statement...
It is as we all know, easy to say what someone else should have said...

But it seems like the press and opinion makers, not for the first time is out of sync with the general public, because a recent survey has shown that 44 % think Frederik should run for a second term as IOC member, while some 34 % don't.

Frederik has got some heat here in DK by left wing politicians and opinion makers, including the Villemann woman for basically repeating the official statement from IOC regarding the Russian athletes.
The decision as the whether the Russian athletes could take place in the Olympics was left in the hands of the individual associations they belong to, in regards to what they take part in.
Left wing politicians, opinion makers and the Vileman (misspell intended) woman... As usual.

The final decision re the Russia athletes was made by IOC Executive Committee, Review Panel and CAS (Sports Court).
https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-re...ussian-athletes-at-the-olympic-games-rio-2016

The individual IOC members had no part in the decision, whatever their personal opinion.

It appears obvious that the statement that Cr Pr Frederik made was the standard line decided By the IOC for there members. As IOC members can hardly walk outside;- meeting the press and all saying different things.
Ms Villeman should understand this as she claims she was once a reporter. As Nordic says no individual IOC members had taken part in the decision.
Therefore IOC members when confronted by the press then had a standard line to say, instead saying no comment.
Ms Villeman loves to make mountains out of molehills. Loves to attack when there is no reason to attack.

I've decided to place a summary of this interview here, rather than in the Rio-thread, because this is more about Frederik, the sports enthusiast, rather than Frederik, the IOC member and DRF representative at Rio.

Summary of interview in Biled Bladet #34, 2016.
Interviewed by our sports-reporter, Ulrik Ulriksen.

(The difference between formal and informal you will here follow the same rules as in Danish: With a capital Y when it's formal You, and lower case when it's informal you).

If I understand it correctly DK has had a record in medal-wins at this Olympic. As a result of a determined policy of supporting the best talents, rather than a more loose support of all contestant.

Frederik sure is pretty pleased with the athletes and the results! It's been a fantastic olympics as he puts it.

Q: You seem very much on, when You watch sports, but perhaps in particular on, when You watch the national handball team, which You have followed closely for many years. How come?
F: "I'll say that I can easily be carried away to a sports event in general. In particular when there are Danes in action and on the way up. But, well, in a handball-arena there is always a good atmosphere and then you are seized by it and of course you shout and get up on your feet when Denmark score and when they defend themselves well. It's fun to follow them.
I must confess that I hadn't put them high on my lists of expectations, but right now we can't say anything else than they have passed with flying colors. It's totally fantastic".

Q: And then there is a special rapport between You and the handball player Mikkel Hansen who is the big star of the Olympic-tournament?
F: "I've met him a number of times over the years and he is something special. He has done really well outside the arena, but also on the arena.
He has moved to Paris and play for Paris Saint Germaine and (he) has quickly picked up the French language. That's well done. You don't necessarily expect that, but it's insanely well done by him.
He's actually a pretty good ambassador for Denmark".
Frederik then goes on to praise the sailing team at length.

Q: Billed Bladet's Facebook-group has commented positively on Your dedication here during the games. What do You think about the fact that the Danes think You are cool?
F: "Well, that's nice. It's after all something that's just for the right leg for me and which I love a lot, that is sports and the sports performances. And being able to cheer the worlds perhaps best Danish athletes is important".

Q: You are good at congratulating the Danish medal-winners, but you also direct Your attention at the Danish athletes who were perhaps disappointed with themselves and disappointed others at the Olympics in Rio. Why do You put effort into that?
F: "You simply have to. Well, the countrymen who didn't live up to expectations are disappointed and down and need support. The badminton-duo with Christinna Pedersen and Kamilla Rytter Juhl were in tears after their finals. It was so close to gold and then it slipped away.
The defeat combined with physical, psychological stress and emotional outburst resulted in tears.
It's important to support as well as you can in those situations".
Frederik continue with expressing support for another athlete who went down with an illness.

DK will in 2018 host the world championships in sailing. Will Frederik be involved directly in that event?
Yes, Frederik replies. He has already been involved in the preparations. He already know personally a number of people who are involved in sailing on this level and there was so to speak a trial-run five or six years ago, when the world youth championships were held in Aarhus.
That resulted in good feedback, because the logistics were good and accomodation was hospitable as well and the sailing conditions were ideal. (The many islands, currents and straits, makes it an interesting challenge for sailsport-teams. As well as providing scenic views, camera wise).
So when the world championships are to be held in Aarhus, we can be sure to see M&F and children around.

In the end of the interview Frederik looks forward to returning to a normal life after 19-20 intense days.

:previous: thank you Muhler for the wonderful translations.
Loved Frederik response to not only supporting those who do well, but also those that are disappointed in the results.
Nice to read that he is involved in the preparations for the sailing world championships, he has been involved before in high level preparations for big events like the marathon in Copenhagen a few years ago.
And yes after some very busy weeks I bet he is glad to be back home

DK will in 2018 host the world championships in sailing. Will Frederik be involved directly in that event?
Yes, Frederik replies. He has already been involved in the preparations. He already know personally a number of people who are involved in sailing on this level and there was so to speak a trial-run five or six years ago, when the world youth championships were held in Aarhus.
That resulted in good feedback, because the logistics were good and accomodation was hospitable as well and the sailing conditions were ideal. (The many islands, currents and straits, makes it an interesting challenge for sailsport-teams. As well as providing scenic views, camera wise).
So when the world championships are to be held in Aarhus, we can be sure to see M&F and children around.

Frederik is now the patron for the 2018 Sailing World Championships
Kronprinsen bliver protektor: »Aarhus giver VM den bedste kulisse« - Aarhus | stiften.dk
Nyheder | H.K.H. Kronprins Frederik bliver protektor for VM i sejlsport i Aarhus

"- As a sailing nation Denmark has for decades distinguished itself among the world elite, and in Danish sports is the sailors who contributed the most Olympic medals... In Denmark, we know what it takes to take medals at big competitions and I am delighted that a Danish city now is to host one of the major championships. There is hardly any better backdrop for the World Cup in sailing than Aarhus. The city has good experience with the settlement of major international competitions, and I am pleased that the sailors from around the world in 2018 will experience the superb sailing conditions in the charming international culture, says HRH Crown Prince."

"- World Championships in sailing is a huge international event which will characterize the entire city and focus on Denmark as a sailing nation. We are therefore proud and happy that the Crown Prince, who have sailed on the Bay of Aarhus, where the World Cup will be held, has agreed to be patron, says Jacob Bundsgaard, Mayor of Aarhus and Chairman of the Presidium behind the World Cup."

Frederik is getting some moderate heat these days.

Kronprins Frederiks OL-optræden undrer professor - Indland

It all started before the Olympics, where Russia was caught doing systematic doping and cheating with test samples.
The official Danish stance, as laid out by the Ministry of Culture (and sports), was that Russia should be barred completely from the Olympics in Rio.
But as you know a kind of compromise was reached in which it was up to the various associations to decide whether individual Russian athletes under these associations should be allowed to compete.
That was what Frederik as a member of the IOC voted yes to.

In other words he seems to have gone against the Danish Parliament and government in this matter.

It gets even more interesting because the Ministry of Culture contacted the court via e-mail several times prior to the vote taking place about the governments attitude.
There are no details of what the replies from the court was. - If any at all...

The left-wing part of the opposition is out saying it's unacceptable if the Crown Prince ignore and even go against the policy formulated by the government and Parliament.
In fact when Frederik, after much debate was allowed to run as candidate for IOC, it was stipulated that he should act accordingly to the instructions given by the government.

Interestingly the very seasoned Minister for Culture, Bertel Haarder has gone out basically saying: No big deal.
The government's most important supporting party has gone out saying: If there is a problem it's the governments fault. It's the government who advise and instruct Frederik in what to do in political IOC matters. If they don't do that clear enough (read: order him what to do) the blame is on the government.

- However, If, repeat if, it turns out that Frederik actually did ignore and even go against a clear "advise" from the Ministry of Culture then I think he can forget about running for another period as an IOC member. He will instead quietly step down in order to "better concentrate on other duties".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom