The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Royal Highness

From the very first day, she said "If there's a charity that needs me to use my title", then she would consider it. That is her "true nature", or at least she's been perfectly straightforward about her actions and motivations from then till now. That it's taken her more than a year to do something this public also says something.

Should she have said something to the Palace sooner? Maybe. Might have been more polite. However, their response to every single thing she's done over the interval has been "the Princess is a private individual and we have no comment". Whether or not Philippe is displeased (and given his reticent nature and Delphine's bolder one, I can see him thinking it's not perfectly proper), he has to maintain a decent relationship with her and probably can't cut her off so easily, because he knows he has basically no control over what she does. So it's likely smart not to fit-throw when it doesn't really matter. I don't see any of this as some sudden ingratitude on Delphine's part.

She was always going to be an unconventional princess (and that might even come from being raised more strictly than some — I don't know how many HRHs had to give their birthday presents away). She's still treading right down her unconventional line. Just because it's royalty doesn't mean "unconventional" automatically equates to wrong. Read or watch The Princess Diaries again. And just take a deep breath.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is not about the charity. It is about royals maintaining some decorum, some distance indeed.

Delphine will join, amongst others, tv-sexuologe Lotte Vanwezemael (known as Sexuolotte), gymnaste Nina Derwael, actor Maxim Stojanac and singer Joris van Rossem (artist name Metejoor).

It is the same as Eugenie of York compete with talkshow-host Graham Norton, diver Tom Daley, comedian Ricky Gervais. Even when it is all for the Battersea Home for Dogs, the fine line of decorum, distance any monarchy needs, is totally blurred out.

Delphine can do excellent charity work in the Brussels backyard of royal palaces with quite impoverished areas housing sans-papiers and people living in appaling conditions.

What is next? Alexia or Gabriel singing in The Voice ("for charity")? It is a direction best avoided.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Delphine will join, amongst others, tv-sexuologe Lotte Vanwezemael (known as Sexuolotte), gymnaste Nina Derwael, actor Maxim Stojanac and singer Joris van Rossem (artist name Metejoor).
See? I told you she wouldn't be the most famous or popular.
Quote:
It is the same as Eugenie of York compete with talkshow-host Graham Norton, diver Tom Daley, comedian Ricky Gervais. Even when it is all for the Battersea Home for Dogs, the fine line of decorum, distance any monarchy needs, is totally blurred out.
If Eugenie did it (unlike her mother), I'm sure she would attract positive attention. Because people like and respect her, at this point. And although Battersea would be worthy, I'm sure she would do something for scoliosis, which she's devoted such effort to. And dance in many more backless dresses.

Decorum is necessary for a monarchy, but it's not a fixed line. It shifts and moves with the rest of it, by necessity. It also descends from the sovereign and maintains there. The most recent and private citizen-member of the family is not the lynchpin.

Quote:
Delphine can do excellent charity work in the Brussels backyard of royal palaces with quite impoverished areas housing sans-papiers and people living in appaling conditions.
She's been working with hospitals and cancer foundations all year long. Perhaps you and Delphine have different ideas for her goals.

Quote:
What is next? Alexia or Gabriel singing in The Voice ("for charity")? It is a direction best avoided.
When you have the title of princess and nothing else, your life is different than if you live with the sovereign or heir. If Alexia or Gabriel actually had the talent to compete, why not? It might be one way of avoiding 'chronically dissatisfied spare syndrome'.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:55 AM
Courtier

I have the feeling Delphine is seeking attention since she doesn't have a "fixed" royal role (nothing wrong with not having one, it's a can of worms better not opened) and likes being in the spotlight.

As long as it doesn't really become problematic for Philippe, I don't really see the issue, it's about her personality, she likes that, unlike her two oldest siblings who are more of the "shy" kind and would probably not be out and about in the public eye if they could. I believe Philippe isn't really happy about this because he probably doesn't want her to become Laurent 2.0 but he knows there isn't anything he can do about it.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
See? I told you she wouldn't be the most famous or popular.

If Eugenie did it (unlike her mother), I'm sure she would attract positive attention. Because people like and respect her, at this point. And although Battersea would be worthy, I'm sure she would do something for scoliosis, which she's devoted such effort to. And dance in many more backless dresses.

Decorum is necessary for a monarchy, but it's not a fixed line. It shifts and moves with the rest of it, by necessity. It also descends from the sovereign and maintains there. The most recent and private citizen-member of the family is not the lynchpin.

She's been working with hospitals and cancer foundations all year long. Perhaps you and Delphine have different ideas for her goals.

When you have the title of princess and nothing else, your life is different than if you live with the sovereign or heir. If Alexia or Gabriel actually had the talent to compete, why not? It might be one way of avoiding 'chronically dissatisfied spare syndrome'.

It is Pandora's Box and it only leads to royals becoming completely interchangeable with the entertainment industry. My wellmeant and heartfelt advice for any monarchy is to avoid the celebrity shows trap.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Nobility

nothing to see here.... :-)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Princess Delphine has given an interview about her participation at "Dancing with the Stars":

"I still remember the dance lessons at school. I felt like an awkward rhinoceros in a tutu".
Asked about King Philippe watching the show she answered "Everyone has very busy schedules and I know this isn't an immediate priority. I wouldn't force anyone to watch".

The full article is only available to subscribers:

** nieuwsblad.be: Prinses Delphine gaat voluit voor ‘Dancing with the Stars’: “Ik denk dat mijn coach stalen tenen heeft” **
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hereís the IG account of Dancing with the stars in which Delphine will be participating.
https://instagram.com/dwts_play4?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWSiI...dium=copy_link