The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

From the very first day, she said "If there's a charity that needs me to use my title", then she would consider it. That is her "true nature", or at least she's been perfectly straightforward about her actions and motivations from then till now. That it's taken her more than a year to do something this public also says something.

Should she have said something to the Palace sooner? Maybe. Might have been more polite. However, their response to every single thing she's done over the interval has been "the Princess is a private individual and we have no comment". Whether or not Philippe is displeased (and given his reticent nature and Delphine's bolder one, I can see him thinking it's not perfectly proper), he has to maintain a decent relationship with her and probably can't cut her off so easily, because he knows he has basically no control over what she does. So it's likely smart not to fit-throw when it doesn't really matter. I don't see any of this as some sudden ingratitude on Delphine's part.

She was always going to be an unconventional princess (and that might even come from being raised more strictly than some — I don't know how many HRHs had to give their birthday presents away). She's still treading right down her unconventional line. Just because it's royalty doesn't mean "unconventional" automatically equates to wrong. Read or watch The Princess Diaries again. And just take a deep breath.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is not about the charity. It is about royals maintaining some decorum, some distance indeed.

Delphine will join, amongst others, tv-sexuologe Lotte Vanwezemael (known as Sexuolotte), gymnaste Nina Derwael, actor Maxim Stojanac and singer Joris van Rossem (artist name Metejoor).

It is the same as Eugenie of York compete with talkshow-host Graham Norton, diver Tom Daley, comedian Ricky Gervais. Even when it is all for the Battersea Home for Dogs, the fine line of decorum, distance any monarchy needs, is totally blurred out.

Delphine can do excellent charity work in the Brussels backyard of royal palaces with quite impoverished areas housing sans-papiers and people living in appaling conditions.

What is next? Alexia or Gabriel singing in The Voice ("for charity")? It is a direction best avoided.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Delphine will join, amongst others, tv-sexuologe Lotte Vanwezemael (known as Sexuolotte), gymnaste Nina Derwael, actor Maxim Stojanac and singer Joris van Rossem (artist name Metejoor).
See? I told you she wouldn't be the most famous or popular.
Quote:
It is the same as Eugenie of York compete with talkshow-host Graham Norton, diver Tom Daley, comedian Ricky Gervais. Even when it is all for the Battersea Home for Dogs, the fine line of decorum, distance any monarchy needs, is totally blurred out.
If Eugenie did it (unlike her mother), I'm sure she would attract positive attention. Because people like and respect her, at this point. And although Battersea would be worthy, I'm sure she would do something for scoliosis, which she's devoted such effort to. And dance in many more backless dresses.

Decorum is necessary for a monarchy, but it's not a fixed line. It shifts and moves with the rest of it, by necessity. It also descends from the sovereign and maintains there. The most recent and private citizen-member of the family is not the lynchpin.

Quote:
Delphine can do excellent charity work in the Brussels backyard of royal palaces with quite impoverished areas housing sans-papiers and people living in appaling conditions.
She's been working with hospitals and cancer foundations all year long. Perhaps you and Delphine have different ideas for her goals.

Quote:
What is next? Alexia or Gabriel singing in The Voice ("for charity")? It is a direction best avoided.
When you have the title of princess and nothing else, your life is different than if you live with the sovereign or heir. If Alexia or Gabriel actually had the talent to compete, why not? It might be one way of avoiding 'chronically dissatisfied spare syndrome'.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:55 AM
Serene Highness

I have the feeling Delphine is seeking attention since she doesn't have a "fixed" royal role (nothing wrong with not having one, it's a can of worms better not opened) and likes being in the spotlight.

As long as it doesn't really become problematic for Philippe, I don't really see the issue, it's about her personality, she likes that, unlike her two oldest siblings who are more of the "shy" kind and would probably not be out and about in the public eye if they could. I believe Philippe isn't really happy about this because he probably doesn't want her to become Laurent 2.0 but he knows there isn't anything he can do about it.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
See? I told you she wouldn't be the most famous or popular.

If Eugenie did it (unlike her mother), I'm sure she would attract positive attention. Because people like and respect her, at this point. And although Battersea would be worthy, I'm sure she would do something for scoliosis, which she's devoted such effort to. And dance in many more backless dresses.

Decorum is necessary for a monarchy, but it's not a fixed line. It shifts and moves with the rest of it, by necessity. It also descends from the sovereign and maintains there. The most recent and private citizen-member of the family is not the lynchpin.

She's been working with hospitals and cancer foundations all year long. Perhaps you and Delphine have different ideas for her goals.

When you have the title of princess and nothing else, your life is different than if you live with the sovereign or heir. If Alexia or Gabriel actually had the talent to compete, why not? It might be one way of avoiding 'chronically dissatisfied spare syndrome'.

It is Pandora's Box and it only leads to royals becoming completely interchangeable with the entertainment industry. My wellmeant and heartfelt advice for any monarchy is to avoid the celebrity shows trap.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Courtier

nothing to see here.... :-)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Princess Delphine has given an interview about her participation at "Dancing with the Stars":

"I still remember the dance lessons at school. I felt like an awkward rhinoceros in a tutu".
Asked about King Philippe watching the show she answered "Everyone has very busy schedules and I know this isn't an immediate priority. I wouldn't force anyone to watch".

The full article is only available to subscribers:

** nieuwsblad.be: Prinses Delphine gaat voluit voor ‘Dancing with the Stars’: “Ik denk dat mijn coach stalen tenen heeft” **
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here’s the IG account of Dancing with the stars in which Delphine will be participating.
https://instagram.com/dwts_play4?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWSiI...dium=copy_link
Old 12-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Delphine for the Dancing with the Stars!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXEItgFtjkQ/
Old 12-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks... pretty magical.

And her art is on the floor.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Delphine & Family, General News & Events Thread; 2020 -

As of Wednesday 12th January VRT één will air a 3 part documentary about and with Delphine.
Delphine: Mijn verhaal (my story).

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20211221_95169256

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/prinses-...-vrt~a5769719/

She testifies exclusively about all phases and emotions in her life and makes her own photo archive and family albums available. Her partner, mother, friends, but also her lawyers, journalist Mario Danneels, palace employees and friends from the art world also get to talk about this royal saga.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Now this, I'm sure the palace would prefer she not do. On the other hand, palace employees are participating? And it'll be nice to finally hear from Jim.

I also feel like the odds of hearing something shocking we don't know about the Albert saga are low (in that pretty much everything has already been put out there).
Old 12-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Will Princess Delphine and her family be invited to the wedding of Princess Maria-Laura and William Isvy?
How do you think?
Old 12-27-2021, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Will Princess Delphine and her family be invited to the wedding of Prinvcess Maria-Laura and William Isvy?
How do you think?
I guess it depends on how much contact they have!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Will Princess Delphine and her family be invited to the wedding of Princess Maria-Laura and William Isvy?
How do you think?
I really think so, after her appearance at the National day, I think she is integrated to the family now.
After all she is the bride's aunt.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Half-aunt, to someone she's possibly never met. I know Delphine speaks highly of Astrid, but she still may or may not want to go, or may or may not have something else to do.

I imagine if she does, Jim and Princess Josephine and Prince Oscar will come too.

But we just have to see.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:38 PM
Majesty

I agree. Chances are high that they (Delphine and Maria Laura) never met. While Delphine might be invited as a token of goodwill; I don't think the bridal couple has a close relationship with their grandfather's (no longer) secret child.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

From The Daily Mail, quoting The Times, quoting Princess Delphine's comments in the VTM documentary "Delphine, Mijn verhaal" airing today:

Quote:
During their first meeting in 2013, she claimed to the VTM channel that he 'sneered' at her: 'Ah, because it's not going so well as an artist you need some attention.'

She added: 'At that moment I thought, "how unbelievably rude is this?"

'After the first conversation with Albert and his lawyers, I walked out of the office completely crushed and crying.

'They said I was "putting a gun to the king's head" by going to court.'

[...]

Princess Delphine said: 'The first time I visited him and his lawyers, he was very nasty and made me cry.

'I never thought I would go to court. But I did it out of a certain principle.

'After Albert said I wasn't his daughter, I needed proof. I had to know for sure.'

[...]

But when she turned 16 in 1984, the soon-to-be king - who ascended to the throne in 1993 - distanced himself from the pair to preserve his marriage.

Delphine only found out that he was actually her father a year later, at the age of 17.

She told the documentary: 'It was wonderful when she told me.

[...]

'Not about who he was, because I didn't care about the fact that he was a prince.

'But I was relieved . . . although I immediately understood that that would cause a scandal.'

The rumours of the paternity issue began swirling in 1997 and became stronger in 2001. It was then that Albert ceased contact with Delphine.

She said: 'I never felt close to him. I called him "daddy" because I was instructed to call him that. But I never felt that way.'

Delphine needed answers after being branded a 'high financial risk' by the banks - leaving her unable to open accounts for her children Josephine and Oscar, who she gave birth to in 2003 and 2008 respectively with her partner and US businessman Jim O'Hare.

She explained: 'My life and that of my children had become unnecessarily difficult and at one point it became unbearable.

'When I wanted to open a bank account for my children, it was a problem. I saw that my son Oscar was referred to as PEP: a "politically exposed person" who had been blacklisted.'

Her children have since been made an official royals - joining 20 other Belgian princes and princesses.

Delphine says she has healed the relationship with her father and retells the moment she had an emotional meeting with Albert and Paola at their lavish home in Belvedere Castle in Laeken in October 2020.

'Today I enjoy a cordial and mutually respectful relationship. But I keep my specific interaction with them private,' she said.

'I get on well with the royal family and I like them. They have been hospitable.'
The Daily Mail incorrectly states that there was a second court battle regarding the royal title. The Brussels court of appeals awarded her recognition as King Albert II's daughter and royal titles in the same decision.

The statement that there are "20 Belgian princes and princesses" is also incorrect. There are hundreds of princes and princesses in Belgium, mainly belonging to the ancien regime Belgian nobility. Perhaps Princes and Princesses of Belgium is what was meant, although that count would exclude the Kings and Queens who also hold the title.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She said: 'I never felt close to him. I called him "daddy" because I was instructed to call him that. But I never felt that way.'
That also makes it seem like it refers to Albert, but is probably meant to refer to Jacques Böel? (I can't imagine she was instructed to call Albert "daddy".)

Also his comments to her in 2013.....what a nice father-person. (/sarc)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:43 AM
Majesty

On french RTL at 19 h 40 also.
Delphine et son histoire in 150 minutes. producted by Warner Bros.

Don' t believe the Daily Mail as my belgian newspaper saw only part of it and did an interview of Chris Michel, the film maker who contacted himself Warner Bros.
They met in 2001 and Delphine said if one day She should tell her history , she will do it with him. So she contacted him 2 years ago and he said yes. She gave him boxes full of pictures.
The interview lasted 3 days without any problem. They had 300 minutes to be shortened to 150 minutes with Delphine's agreement .

Last Week the Palace saw the whole interview , not to critic but te be prepared from the media sollicitations.

Why did she want to speak more ? Answer : she wanted for one and for the last time explain her own Vision , "her drole de vie " .

She want to start a new live with her Father and the Members of the Royal Family.