Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect, 1870 appears to be a deflection. There exists -no legal bar- to Delphine and her kids becoming Prince / Princess of Belgium (Royal Highness) as of 1 October 2020.

You and others said that the Royal Decrees of 1891, 1991, and 2015 concerning the title of Prince/Princess of Belgium granted royal titles and styles.

The point I was making in response was that - going along with that interpretation - no person should have been entitled to Belgian royal titles and styles in 1870, since that was before the issue of the first "Prince/Princess of Belgium" decree in 1891.

I wrote an expanded explanation of the actual intentions of the 1891 decree and moved it to the thread for royal titles and styles, here:

[...] the 1891 Royal Decree was not meant to allow a future Delphine, or any other future descendant (legitimate or illegitimate), to be born as HRH Princess. Every single person ("direct male-line descendants from His late Majesty Leopold I") who was potentially impacted by the 1891 decree at the time the decree was issued already was HRH Princess or Prince (or HM King) by custom.

Article 1. In the public and private acts relating to them, the princes and the princesses born in direct male descendance from His late Majesty Leopold I will be referred to as princes and princesses of Belgium, following their first names and preceding the mention of their original title of duke or duchess of Saxony.​

There is little point in guesswork about the intentions of the 1891 Royal Decree, because the report about the Royal Decree presented by the Government in 1891 makes the government's intentions plain and explicit:

[...] on ne les désigne que par leur prénom, mais à l'étranger, on qualifie nos princes et princesses du nom de la Belgique et tel est bien leur nom qui leur revient.
Nous avons la conviction, Sire, de répondre au vœu de tous, en soumettant à la signature royale un arrêté qui leur confère ce nom, [...]

Translation:

([...] we designate them solely by their forename, but in foreign countries, they refer to our princes and princesses by the name of Belgium, and indeed such is their name that they merit.
We are determined, Sir, to answer the wishes of all, by subjecting to the royal signature a decree which confers this name on them, [...])​

So it was enacted not to make any person a prince or princess, but to officially confer the name (surname) "of Belgium" on those male-line descendants of Leopold I who were already, by custom, princes and princesses. It was the surname, not the title, that was transferred from custom into law by the 1891 Royal Decree.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Belgique

The former lawyer and expert in Nobility, jonkheer Adolph Robert Phoenix Boddaert LL.M. summarized on the website of Adel in Nederland:

On October 1st, 2020, the Brussels' Court of Appeal issued a final judgment in the long-term proceedings of Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg (formerly Boël) against her father King Albert II.

Delphine's first claim was that King Albert was her father. After a DNA test showed that there was no doubt about this, in this appeal King Albert no longer defended himself against this claim. This claim was therefore honoured, without question by the Court.

Delphine also claimed for herself and for her children that they should be allowed to use the paternal surname de Saxe-Cobourg. This name was already borne by the first King of the Belgians. This claim was also honoured.

Finally Delphine claimed for herself and for her children the right to bear the title Prince (Princess) of Belgium and the predicate Royal Highness. She relied on article 2 of the Royal Decree of 12 November 2015. This article stipulates that the direct descendants of King Albert II may use this title. A special feature is that this right also belongs to descendants in the female lineage.

The King argued against this claim that this article would only apply to his descendants, who already had this title when the Royal Decree of 2015 came into effect, and to the descendants who were born afterwards. It would therefore not apply to persons who were already alive at that time, but only obtained the status of descendant afterwards.

The Court rejected this defense, partly because such an interpretation of the Royal Decree would be contrary to the principle of equality, described in articles 10 and 11 of the Belgian Constitution (comparable to article 1 of the Netherlands' Constitution). The Court therefore ruled that Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg and her children may use the title Prince (Princess) of Belgium and the predicate Royal Highness.

Bergen, October 5, 2020

Jonkheer Dolph Boddaert LL.M.

https://www.adelinnederland.nl/delphine-de-nieuwe-prinses-van-belgie/

Did the website of the Brussels Court of Appeals ever publish its ruling?

Quotes from the ruling, which back up and expand on Mr. Boddaert's piece, can be found in this article. I will try to provide a translation when I have more time.

https://www.justice-en-ligne.be/Delphine-de-Saxe-Cobourg-membre-de

Delpnine is the Princess of Belgien in accordance with decree 1891, not 1991 and not 2015:

Tatiana Maria, The succession law of King Baudouin the early 1990's gives Albert's descendants in male and female line the title and styles HRH Prince/Princess of Belgium

It were 1891 and 1991 decrees which not excluded borned out of wedlock and their issue. The court just use these decrees.

The information published about the court ruling (read the above articles) proves that was not the case. Delphine Boël applied for royal titles under the 2015 decree, not Leopold II's 1891 decree (which was replaced in 1991), nor Baudouin's 1991 decree (which was replaced in 2015), nor Baudouin's 1991 succession law (which says nothing about titles and styles, and therefore is irrelevant). The court awarded her the titles under the 2015 decree. It was as simple as that.

I'm sorry but Delphine and her kids became Prince/ss since their birthdays.

There was nothing in the Civil Code to allow for a recognition to be retroactive to one's birth, and absolutely nothing in any of the reports that would suggest that Delphine attempted a claim for an ultra vires retroactive application.

As for your claim that members of the Belgian royal family were not legally princes prior to 1891, and your statement that "Belgian nobiliary law is not the same as Belgian dynastic law", see my responses in the thread for discussion of royal titles and styles:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-25.html#post2464496
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-23.html#post2440319
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-25.html#post2464833

Last edited by a moderator:
Passages of the judgment of the Brussels Court of Appeals of October 1, 2020:

https://www.justice-en-ligne.be/Delphine-de-Saxe-Cobourg-membre-de

« [L’article 2 de l’arrêté royal du 12 novembre 2015] ne fait aucune distinction entre les différents enfants et petits-enfants issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert qui sont en droit de porter le titre de ‘Prince ou Princesse de Belgique’ »

« Madame Delphine Boël, et ses enfants […], sont enfant et petits-enfants issus de la descendance directe du Roi Albert II, et ils sont donc autorisés à porter le titre de ‘Princesse de Belgique’ et ‘Prince de Belgique’, leurs prénoms étant précédés du prédicat ‘Son Altesse Royale’.

En décider autrement reviendrait à instaurer une discrimination, ou une différence de traitement sans critère objectif ou justification raisonnable, entre les enfants et petits-enfants issus de la descendance directe du Roi Albert II selon le moment auquel leur filiation avec le Roi Albert II a été établie, ce qui violerait les articles 10 et 11 de la Constitution.

L’article 334 du Code civil dispose d’ailleurs que quel que soit le mode d’établissement de la filiation, les enfants et leurs descendants ont les mêmes droits et les mêmes obligations à l’égard des père et mère et de leurs parents et alliés, et les père et mère et leurs parents ont les mêmes droits et les mêmes obligations à l’égard des enfants et de leurs descendants.

De la même manière, la circonstance que le Roi Albert II et Mme S. ne sont pas mariés ne pourrait constituer un obstacle au port du titre de ‘Princesse de Belgique’ ou ‘Prince de Belgique’ et du prédicat ‘Son Altesse Royale’ conformément à l’article 2 de l’arrêté royal du 12 novembre 2015, sous peine d’établir une différence de traitement non raisonnablement justifiable entre les différents enfants et petits-enfants issus de la descendance directe du Roi Albert II selon le statut matrimonial de leurs parents, ce qui violerait les articles 10 et 11 de la Constitution ».

Translation:

"[Article 2 of the royal decree of 12 November 2015] does not make any distinction between the different children and grandchildren in direct descent from His Majesty King Albert who have the right to bear the title of 'Prince or Princess of Belgium'"

"Ms. Delphine Boël, and her children [...], are child and grandchildren in direct descent from King Albert II, and there are thus authorized to bear the title of 'Princess of Belgium' and 'Prince of Belgium', their forenames being preceded by the predicate 'Her/His Royal Highness'.

To decide otherwise would be to create a discrimination, or a difference in treatment without an objective criterion or reasonable justification, between the children and grandchildren in direct descent from King Albert II depending on the moment at which their filiation with King Albert II was established, which would violate articles 10 and 11 of the Constitution.

Article 334 of the Civil Code also stipulates that whatever the mode of establishment of filiation, the children and their descendants have the same rights and the same obligations in regard to the father and mother and their relatives and in-laws, and the father and mother and their relatives have the same rights and the same obligations in regard to the children and their descendants.

In the same manner, the circumstance that King Albert II and Ms. S. [Baroness Sybille de Sélys Longchamps] are not married could not constitute an obstacle to carrying the title of 'Princess of Belgium' or 'Prince of Belgium' and the predicate 'Her/His Royal Highness' in conformity with article 2 of the royal decree of 12 November 2015, otherwise, it would establish a difference in treatment without reasonable justification between the different children and grandchildren in direct descent from King Albert II depending on the marital status of their parents, which would violate articles 10 and 11 of the Constitution."

The articles of the Constitution referred to in the judgment of the court say:

Article 10

No class distinctions exist in the State.

Belgians are equal before the law; they alone are eligible for civil and military service, but for the exceptions that can be created by a law for particular cases.

Equality between women and men is guaranteed.

Article 11

Enjoyment of the rights and freedoms recognised for Belgians must be provided without discrimination. To this end, laws and federate laws guarantee among others the rights and freedoms of ideological and philosophical minorities.

A reminder: The Court of Appeal took the decision to provide titles exclusively to Delphine and her children. Other illegitimate children of noble men, and other children (legitimate or not) of noble women, continue to be excluded from carrying their father's or mother's title, as can be read on the official website of the federal government:

9. I believe that I am the descendant of a noble ancestor. Am I eligible for a recognition of nobility? What are the conditions?

If the applicants consider themselves to be the legitimate direct descendent, in the male line, of an ancestor who belonged to the nobility in our regions until the end of the 'Ancien Régime' (i.e. until the abolition of the nobility in the French era) or who was officially a member of the nobility in his country of origin, they may lodge an application for recognition of nobility.

https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/services/Protocol/nobility_and_honorary_distinctions/nobility/faq

Having regard to the judges' reasons given in the passages above, in my view it was inappropriate of them to apply their decision specially to Delphine and her children and continue subjecting other illegitimate and female-line children to discriminatory inheritance rules.

If the titles of Delphine and her children come within Article 10 and 11's guarantee of equality, then the same guarantee should govern the titles of other families.

Last edited:
Can't get over how much she looks like Princess Astrid:)

Interesting assessment on Delphine's position in the family, according to Wim Dehandschutter:
She is invited to family parties, but with two family members there isn't exactly a click, he writes.

A mix of civility and sincerity?

She'll be there on National Day tomorrow, but will she be invited to Princess Maria Laura and William Isvy's wedding this September?

I have read the linked article in the Twitter post.
According to Chris Michel, her children Joséphine and Oscar know their nieces and nephews. Delphine's bond with her father is, against her ánd his expectation, remarkably well. The family doesn't meet frequently, but whenever there is a birthday party or a barbecue Delphine is invited and her partner Jim and their children accompany her.

The two family members with whom she doesn't click (anymore) are Paola and Laurent. Paola is not surprising, Laurent apparently feels like Delphine is now against him. Previously he saw her as an ally against Albert, now he feels like she wants to fall into grace with her new family and thinks: now you don't need me anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
...or previously you were using her, Laurent, and now that she doesn't want to make any more trouble you can't see how to get along. It's very easy to spin it either way.

I feel bad for him for being relegated back to the biggest black sheep, but at the same time... :whistling:

Guy just has issues.

Thanks for the article Skippy, I was not able to read it as it was behind a paywall. Much appreciated!

My guess would have been different. I am surprised she is included in family barbecues but it is nice that the reproachment seems to be sincere - or a sincere attempt at least. King Albert can be very happy that he has given up his resistance and was able to mend some of the damage in his final years. Even if Paola and Delphine's relationship is not optimal, it was wise & humane of the Queen to support her husband. King Philippe can be proud that he was able to address this inherited matter and find a sollution to it.

I do not expect Pss Delphine at the wedding, it is Pss Laura who decides who she wants to invite and at this point I doubt she will have a relationship with Pss Delphine as I am not sure she often flies back to Brussels to attend barbecues. For future weddings of the children of the King she may be there as these are more formal events.

As for Laurent ... Prinsara said it all.

Last edited:
...or previously you were using her, Laurent, and now that she doesn't want to make any more trouble you can't see how to get along. It's very easy to spin it either way.

I feel bad for him for being relegated back to the biggest black sheep, but at the same time... :whistling:

Guy just has issues.

My thoughts precisely. I don't see Laurent necessarily as a black sheep or a mean person, but he is a troubled soul and as such he always behaves as the Contrary Mary, if you know what I mean.
I am glad the family as whole is trying to make an effort, anyway. Philippe really did wonders in this matter.

Of course I just thought — Laurent is part of that family Delphine is trying to be on good terms with, right? Technically. That he doesn't see it that way... :sad:

I think he is a little bit of a mean person — you don't exactly get a nickname like 'le prince maudit' by being pleasant and charming to everyone, but I do think the meanness (...the pettiness, the weirdness, and everything else) comes from being so deeply troubled. (And perhaps the familial mental health in every generation...) And his wonderful, nurturing parents. :whistling:

To be strictly fair to Laurent, if I were him, and I saw Delphine seemingly so quick to forgive and now get along with Albert, I don't doubt it would seem hurtful. Yes, he wanted a partner in spite and grudges. Yes, they have two very different relationships with their father. (And unlike Del, he has no "backup father" he can forge a better relationship with. He's got Père Guy, but that doesn't seem to be helping right now?)

But at the end of the day, he's back in the loneliest place. I hope he figures out a way to find some peace before Albert dies, because I'm not sure he's going to get it afterwards.

Last edited:
Princess Delphine and partner Jim attended the Tomorrowland festival in Boom:

** twitter post **

Last edited:
Hmm interesting because I can't find any interview with her on the Tatler website other than a summary of a 2020 interview with the Sunday Times.

The comparison with Princess Diana has made the news today, so that Princess Delphine felt the need to put it right. On her instagram account she wrote:

I will not accept this misquote that is going around in the press . I normally do not speak out about misquotes , but this is just wrong .
It’s taken out of context . I would never compare myself to Princess Diana , who I greatly admire .We have very different stories . And I would certainly never call myself “ A Princess of hearts “ as the press is now claiming

** instagram post **

I thought the quote didn't sound much like Delphine at all, so I will take SAR at her word.

Tatler seems to reserve certain content for its print edition. I suppose we will have to wait for the publication to see the original context of the comment?

Lala-land double-negative logic. What one thinks is not the same as having evidence to support it.

I believe that was same logical point which the other posters whose comments you refer to as "lala-land double-negative logic" were making.

Princess Delphine will present her art at a new exhibition entitled "Attitude" at the Guy Pieters Gallery in Knokke from September 13 on, today she presented some of her new works of art on her instagram account:

** instagram post **

Princess Delphine will present her art at a new exhibition entitled "Attitude" at the Guy Pieters Gallery in Knokke from September 13 on, today she presented some of her new works of art on her instagram account:

** instagram post **

I really enjoy Princess Delphine's artwork, it's fresh and modern and obviously comes from her heart. I like her use of color and meaningful text, and how she uses pops of color on a black and white background.

Art appreciation is an excellent way to engage with the public and very important for one's mental health, IMHO.

According Journalist Wim Dehandschutter:

"Josephine, the 18-year-old daughter of Princess Delphine, moves to The Netherlands.

She will study Liberal Arts and Sciences at an undisclosed university.

Inspired by her mother’s lawsuit against King Albert, the focus is on human rights."

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/prinsen...elphine-gaat-mensenrechten-studeren~a207f039/

And Princess Delphine with Jim O' Hare attended at the 67th edition of the Brussels Art Fair organized in the Belgian capital.

https://www.pointdevue.fr/society/s...ique-a-la-67e-edition-de-la-brussels-art-fair

Last edited:
Princess Delphine and family attended the premiere of 'Rebel', the latest film by Belgian director duo El Arbi - Fallah at the Kinepolis cinema in Brussels yesterday, October 1:

** gettyimages gallery **

In the first picture Josephine looks like Elisabeth and Oscar looks like Emmanuel, just with different hair colours and styles!

Agreed :flowers: Definitely strong family resemblance between the cousins

In the first picture Josephine looks like Elisabeth and Oscar looks like Emmanuel, just with different hair colours and styles!

I see a strong resemblance between Josephine and her great-grandmother Astrid and Oscar & his grandfather Albert when they were the same age! :eek:?

Those Coburg genes are really strong, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom