The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Beautiful name!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Majesty

What a cruel world we live in. The Fail ends by noting Pippa's occupation on the birth cert is "author" then reminds us her book was panned by critics.

I'll end by saying that seeing her wedding photo again, I thought she was such a beautiful bride. And he is no slouch as a groom.

Anyone know where Arthur is from? Is it popular again?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Very nice name. I can see William becoming Godfather too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Courtier

Handsome old name ... and it's not too much of a tongue twister to say Master Arthur Matthews.

William is his Uncle's middle name so after two uncles.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

Lovely names. Tradition now seems to be going back to "old" names whether family or just favorite names. Recently I have known personal friends grandchildren naming their babies Lillian, Jacob, Stephen, Sarah, Carol and Mary. All names common many years ago. I guess what is old is now new again.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

What a lovely names! Especially the Arthur!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Handsome old name ... and it's not too much of a tongue twister to say Master Arthur Matthews.
Master Arthur Matthews sounds perfect. I am glad that Grandfather Michael was able to have his name of Michael included.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Nobility

I don't particularly like it but he will grow into it; like all names really.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Michael was what I was hoping,for, do not like Arthur, Artie or,art in the us
Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Michael was a given. Not just Grandpa but James' late brother.

I could be wrong but I think there was a possible agreement between the two brothers not to use Michael as a first name. Both Spencer's son Theodore and Arthur have Michael. Though one using it as a first name wouldn't rule out the other using it as a middle. Arthur is one of Louis' after all.

I had wanted Arthur for Louis as a first name. Guess got used, not Royal

William is a nice nod to Uncle James. Honor uncle on both sides of the family.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I had wanted Arthur for Louis as a first name. Guess got used, not Royal

Well there was Prince Arthur and Ermm King Arthur Several Arthurs as middle names. And Louis isn't a partularly royal first name for British princes. I also wanted it to be Louis first name but there you go. I've got used to it. Not that the Cambridges were quick to ask my opinion.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Well there was Prince Arthur and Ermm King Arthur Several Arthurs as middle names. And Louis isn't a partularly royal first name for British princes. I also wanted it to be Louis first name but there you go. I've got used to it. Not that the Cambridges were quick to ask my opinion.

I don't care for either name. (Arthur or Louis).

If the Cambridges decided to reuse one of George's names, I would much prefer Alexander.

But then, they didn't consult me.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Nobility

Pippa and James Matthews: May 2017 -

I did expect them to use old fashioned names, used by royalty in the past.
If you see names in Pippas family, most of them have such names.

I was expecting a nod to the babys grandfather/uncle Michael and royal relatives (not necessarily William).

Im now more than certain that Prince William will be godfather
Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I meant the name got used just not for a royal baby. Arthur Matthews is not Royal. No suggestion on my side that the name doesn't have obvious Royal pedigree.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely names. I wasnt expecting to see William, but its a nice nod to one of his uncles!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Lovely names. I wasnt expecting to see William, but its a nice nod to one of his uncles!
Even to two of his uncles as William is also James Middleton's middle name and you could argue that it can be considered a reference to his aunt Vogue Williams as well (but that would be more of an added bonus than the reason to choose that name).
Old 11-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Pippa and James Matthews: May 2017 -

I love the baby's name! I was hoping Arthur for Louis however perhaps the reason why the Cambridges didn't include Arthur in neither of George or Louis's names is because they knew that Pippa wanted to name her first child Arthur; it could've been a name Pippa had wanted for a long time.
I'm surprised at how traditional and royal sounding the combination is; despite the names obviously being Middleton honour names. I thought that being a private citizen Pippa might have been slightly more adventurous with her naming choices.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I love the baby's name! I was hoping Arthur for Louis however perhaps the reason why the Cambridges didn't include Arthur in neither of George or Louis's names is because they knew that Pippa wanted to name her first child Arthur; it could've been a name Pippa had wanted for a long time. I doubt we'll see Arthur now in any of the baby's future royal cousins' names should his aunt and uncle have any more children, though having said that, they did reuse Louis from George's middle names so we might see Arthur in the middle name spot.
I'm surprised at how traditional and royal sounding the combination is; despite the names obviously being Middleton honour names. I thought that being a private citizen Pippa might have been slightly more adventurous with her naming choices.
Arthur is included in Louis' name. He is Louis Arthur Charles
Old 11-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saz83 View Post
Arthur is included in Louis' name. He is Louis Arthur Charles

Thanks for reminding me - I should log into TRF earlier - I might have less moments!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Courtier

The 100 year Anniversary of Armistace Day has brought so many stories about brave men with names from about 1900. The names don't feel remote or particularly old. Perhaps that has helped make them familiar and used again. They are endearing names from our family trees.
Pippa and James' son has names rich with history. It's a good start.
Do you reckon that the baby's first name is also a nod to the honeymoon in Sydney?
Arthur Phillip having been the first Governor?