Pippa and James Matthews and Family 1: May 2017 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And on a petty note, I'm not sure why the DM has styled Catherine as a widow/divorcee. They're either incompetent or they're very pessimistic about the Cambridge marriage.

They actually, for a change, got it right.

If she was divorced or widowed she would be Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

They have Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge. That 'the' makes all the difference as they have separated the first name from the title rather than joining them together as one.

Strange for the DM but on this occasion they are correct.

So he was arrested and charged, but they have six months to decide if it will go to court :ermm: Is it just me, or don't they usually wait to make an arrest until they are sure there is enough evidence to go to court??? Seems a lot to put him and his family through, if it ends up there I not enough proof. Even if proven innocent, this will never go away. Thanks to both Pippa and his son Spencer, it is bigger news then for most.

In the UK, US and Australia (along with many other countries) absolutely the idea would be to investigate fully before making an arrest and then going to trial.

In some systems though the arrest and charges are made before the investigation is completed, which appears to be the case here.

It is simply a case of a different legal system at play to that which has its origins in the British/English system.

I remember some of the misunderstandings in Australia about the Indonesian legal system with the drug trials of the past decade or so - where this practice also happened - arrest, charged and then the investigation continued rather than investigation completed, arrest and then charges.

Trying to make the story about Pippa is even a stretch for the British yellow press.

An alleged sexual assault from 20 years ago against Pippa’s father in law has zero to do with her. Unfortunately this a by product of today’s trial by social media

Last edited:
He went to France on a visit. No expectation apparently.

general comment - Apart from the acceptance of innocent until proven guilty, individuals should be very careful of what they write.

I think this subject needs v careful moderation.

I am sorry but exactly what did I write that I should have been careful about :ermm: I asked questions, for clarification.

Trying to make the story about Pippa is even a stretch for the British yellow press.

An alleged sexual assault from 20 years against Pippa’s father in law has zero to do with her. Unfortunately this a by product of today’s trial by social media

Unfortunately just like any of the DM's articles it seems they do anything to get as much clicks as possible. :bang:

Putting Pippa, and even Spencer, in the article, will bring more readers in. Unfortunately neither Spencer or Pippa deserve to be drug into this but they are. Spencer who was 10 years old at the time of this, really has little more to do with this then Pippa.

He stands accused, not convicted. :huh: He is denying the charges.

This public shaming stuff is so destructive. I have seen it take place up close. Nasty business. :sad:

It would be a shame if he was innocent having been pretty much convicted by the press already. Though I'm not sure why one would make up a story 20 years after the fact. I guess financial motivation as he's wealthy, or since a relative reported - family strife? I would like to be believe the French police are fairly convinced of his guilt because otherwise they had to know it would be a big public spectacle.

For the sake of his children, grandchildren and Pippa, Vogue - I would like him to be innocent. But for the sake of victims I would like him to be guilty, it's already difficult for most to come forward without another case of "crying wolf" making it less likely for them to be believed.

Either way it won't be a happy outcome.

This is a general comment but my children are of an age where they’re starting to be interested in dating and the like.

My poor son doesn’t know up from down. Is he allowed to tell a girl she looks nice or will he be labelled a pervert.

He likes a girl in his class but he’s afraid to talk to her because he’s terrified of his words being used against him.

I’m glad my dating days are well over.

I hate trial by media and public opinion as well. There are too many people who equate accused with people guilty. I also wish defendants in he said/he said trials could be kept private.

The mistreatment and labelling of young boys is infuriating to me and I don't even have a son. Not only because they are labelled as perverts but also because when they are victimized it is disregarded or taken as not being as serious as when a girl is a victim.

Last edited:
This is a general comment but my children are of an age where they’re starting to be interested in dating and the like.

My poor son doesn’t know up from down. Is he allowed to tell a girl she looks nice or will he be labelled a pervert.

He likes a girl in his class but he’s afraid to talk to her because he’s terrified of his words being used against him.

I’m glad my dating days are well over.

People aren't just tossed those labels unless they are provoked. Most people understand flirting and such but if you put your hands on someone and/or make them feel extremely uncomfortable then yeah that is an issue. Common sense is typically at play here. Tell your boy to tell the girl she is pretty. 9 times out of 10 she will take the compliment in stride.

As for the topic at hand. It is a shame that Pippa is being dragged into something that has zero to do with her but the family connection is gold for the media. Her name and close connection to the royal family is being used to sell the story.

I agree with the person who said either way this story is sad. Either he is innocent and this will follow him for the rest of his life or he is guilty and did a awful, awful thing that forever has changed the victim's life. Hopefully the truth comes out, whatever it may be and consequences are paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: hel
He went to France on a visit. No expectation apparently.

general comment - Apart from the acceptance of innocent until proven guilty, individuals should be very careful of what they write.

I think this subject needs v careful moderation.

Agree absolutely

This story is going to last because this man's daughter in law is the sister in law and aunt of two future kings of England. This will spill over on the Cambridges and the BRF to some degree because the press wants it to stick to them. (But I noticed on Daily Mail there is no comment section for this story.) There are a lot of people who are not fans of the Middletons because they are perceived as social climbers, and they would love to see the family get taken down a peg over this.

But at the end of the day child rape is a serious and heinous crime. If evidence bears out that this guy did it, he has to answer for it no matter to whom he's related. The thing is, if found innocent, accusations of "limousine justice" (personal wealth of the accused and loose connections to the BRF) will fly and will not go away.

(personal wealth of the accused and loose connections to the BRF) will fly and will not go away.

The Nation in which the accused [IF it comes to Trial] is a proud Republic, and the BFR 'holds no sway' on its system of Justice', so any accusation of that sort is errant NONSENSE..

Basically, anyone can come out and accuse someone of doing something. What is deplorable is that an accusation against someone can and does lead to permanent damages to a person's reputation especially if the person is a high profile personality or extremely wealthy. Something like this would appeal to tabloid mentality for not only Mr. Matthews because of his "connection" to the sister-in-law of the heir to the heir of the British throne but also to people, for example, like Richard Branson or George Clooney or Vladimir Putin. For the tabloids, anyone is fair game to report the "scandals" and the "scoops".

We don't even know if this situation will ever make it to court. It could be someone's figment of imagination wanting to cause trouble or it could be a valid accusation. I'll wait and look for the evidence to be presented and proven before I'll think less of this man.

^ ABSOLUTELY^

Innocent until PROVEN guilty..

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not even a charge. According to the article there is no equivalent in English law. The French will do a 6 month investigation and then decide if charges are warranted.

A 20 year old ‘he said, she said case’ is going to very difficult to prove. In fact I don’t know how cases like is are ever proven

Last edited:
A 20 year old ‘he said, she said case’ is going to very difficult to prove. In fact I don’t know cases like is are ever proven

Exactly, and that makes it worse.
Matthews has been accused, and if he can't be cleared beyond any doubt, the allegation will follow him forever.

It will be mentioned any time his name comes up.

I agree with those who think the names should never be publicized unless there's enough evidence to take to trial.

I am sorry but exactly what did I write that I should have been careful about :ermm: I asked questions, for clarification.

Unfortunately just like any of the DM's articles it seems they do anything to get as much clicks as possible. :bang:

Putting Pippa, and even Spencer, in the article, will bring more readers in. Unfortunately neither Spencer or Pippa deserve to be drug into this but they are. Spencer who was 10 years old at the time of this, really has little more to do with this then Pippa.

Please reread my post.

1st paragraph answered your question

2nd paragraph - said it was a general comment, ie not directed at you.

this is certainly bad news for the matthews family, which pippa belongs to now. whoever says that is not the case does not understand the importance of relationships on one's personal reputation.

this is certainly bad news for the matthews family, which pippa belongs to now. whoever says that is not the case does not understand the importance of relationships on one's personal reputation.

Yes, its a horrific turn of events for the Matthews family to go through but as of this date, there are only accusations without presentation of proof or evidence that these allegations have a leg to stand on. These accusations also come almost 20 years after the "alleged" crime was supposedly committed.

Oh, I agree that it's going to be a unfair headache for Pippa because of the media. Same for Vogue Williams, who will have every one of her pregnancy articles mentioning this - if the tabloids have their way. Heck, if the tabloids had their way they'd want to imply that 15-year-old Pippa, and 13-year-old Vogue were a party to the alleged attack.

But I'm dubious to those that say not only does this tarnish the Middletons, it tarnishes The Cambridges. As David Matthews isn't a member of either family, I find the idea of guilt by proxy through multiple degrees of separation to be ludicrous.

I mentioned on the previous page that linking Pippa to the allegations are akin to linking Jack Brooksbank to the allegations against Andrew. Well saying the Middletons are tarnished is like saying the entire Brooksbank family is tarnished by Andrew, and then to say the Cambridge family is tarnished is like saying the entire family of the spouse of Thomas Brooksbank are tarnished. That's a leap I'm not sure even the tabloids can make. Frankly the allegations against Andrew (blood uncle of William) are more likely to have an indirect impact on the Cambridges than a genetically unrelated man who they likely only met a couple times.

Last edited:
If it is indeed a libelous set-up, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Matthews were to sic his lawyers on the accuser as well as any media who said he was charged (some erroneously said charged instead of accused) when he hasn't been formally charged. He strikes me as a legal bulldog type, the way he doggedly sued the Everest Guide company after his son died.

Accusations against Mrs Pippa Matthews' father-in-law are appalling, but not surprising. The upper crust in the enlightened British regime has been accused of similar crimes.
Dave Matthews is not "upper crust", he is a self-made man and any money or position he has now is by virtue of the sweat of his own brow.

However, it is both unfair and inaccurate to lambast entire strata of British Society for no other reason than your own prejudice if, as you claim, rich British men have been accused of similar crimes.

My only query is, were they all convicted?

It's loathsome that they use pics pf Pippa to illustrate charges against another person. :bang:

It's loathsome that they use pics pf Pippa to illustrate charges against another person. :bang:

Yes, I agree. That is the undignified vulgar media actually trying to throw backhanded dirt towards the Royal family. Hell, James and especially Pippa had absolutely nothing to do with this event, if even true.

Pippa is pregnant. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom