The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima, Current Events 7 (Jan 2007 - Nov 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
carlota said:
i'm so happy they did an special programme for their anniversary. the name is quite unfortunate, but i totally second what verde esmeralda said about the tears in the wedding. i think i would have cried too. mette marit, mary or even frederik also cried during their wedding ceremonies. it must be such an emotive moment, specially when the person you are sitting next to you is the prince and you both are being the center of attention of a whole country.

It makes ME cry when I watch the video ... :cry: btw her makeup suffered no harm...still find it amazing!!

Is it true that the Queen said "sweetie....!" when Maxima was crying?

Verde Esmeralda said:
Is it true that the Queen said "sweetie....!" when Maxima was crying?

where did you read it, verde esmeralda? i doubt the queen got the chance to talk to maxima, as she was sitting with willem when the music started to play at the altar. what is obvious to everyone is the good relation between them and i have no doubt the queen spoke to maxima about it afterwards.

I read it in an Argentinian magazine, regarding the famous tears. I don't know whether she (supposedly) said it right in that moment (as you said, she was not that close to the couple in the ceremony, but some mts. away as I can see in the pics), but I promise I will search for it tonight and translate the extract for the forum.

It is GENTE (which in spanish means "people") magazine nº 1907, which was released right after the wedding, with Maxima and WA on the cover (my Argentinian fellows in the Forum will know which magazine I am talking about)

I kept it, without knowing I would have a Dutch "prince" by my side someday as well :wub:

Yes. I know "Gente" is a very old magazine and it uses to publish excellent pics and information about actors, politicians and royals. It is not my kind of publication, but it is worth in its tasks: show to people how the famous lives and all the rumors and gossips there are about them. :rolleyes: ;)

Vanesa.

Here's the magazine i was talking about.

Page 11: 'Cuando sonó Adiós, Nonino (de Piazzolla), Máxima no pudo contener el llanto...(...) Al ver a Máxima tan conmovida, la reina le dio aliento desde su lugar y le dijo "Sweety (dulce)" '

Translated, it says: 'When Adios, Nonino (by Piazzolla) was played, Máxima could not help the tears...(...) While watching Máxima being so touched, the Queen cheered her up from where she was and told her "Sweety" '

Last edited by a moderator:
Verde Esmeralda said:
I read it in an Argentinian magazine, regarding the famous tears. I don't know whether she (supposedly) said it right in that moment (as you said, she was not that close to the couple in the ceremony, but some mts. away as I can see in the pics), but I promise I will search for it tonight and translate the extract for the forum.

It is GENTE (which in spanish means "people") magazine nº 1907, which was released right after the wedding, with Maxima and WA on the cover (my Argentinian fellows in the Forum will know which magazine I am talking about)

I kept it, without knowing I would have a Dutch "prince" by my side someday as well :wub:

Ow yess I have it too:) also the one from Caras;)

Princess Maxima said:
Ow yess I have it too:) also the one from Caras;)

I also wanted to get that one, but it was too late... and I've been searching for it, without luck :bang:

You will agree with me, at that time our country was going through a severe crisis that left us little margin for enjoying this wedding ... :ermm:

Empress said:
Hey maybe I'll put up my personal pictures of the wedding. I drug my husband out of bed at 4 am so that we woud be on the front lines in front of the palace balcony. We were there at 4.30 and stayed until after the balcony scene. We were front and center, we couldn't have gotten closer if we'd tried. And we have some great pictures. Mind you, Michael was not too happy of a camper with me that day when I pulled him out of bed before the sun came up... But oh well. he got over it!

The days before the wedding Amsterdam turned into a beautifully decorated and festive city,with pre-wedding balls and parties here there and everywhere.Opposite the Beurs van Berlage,the civil wedding venue,is C&A,for the occasion it was dubbed M&A,which I thought was hilarious to start with.On friday I was at the Concertgebouw,Royals flocking in by the bus loads,literally,amid deafening cheers and applaus from the crowds.

One of my favorites,the Nieuwe Kafe next to the church,was the meeting point for the international press,and fun to be during the day time,the hustle and bustle of it all and the feel of expectation/excitement,and dear Mr.Rudolf Spoor,who was in charge of the tv broadcast sitting next to me going through the entire programme with his secretary had me looking as if I wasn't there,but meanwhile my ears worked overtime...

Decided to watch the ceremonies in front of the telly,still the best place to see it all,and went into town right after,what a party what a joy,evryone,the tens of thousands were enjoying themselves,not one incident,just wonderfull.

Found myself back at the Palace late that evening as most of the Royal guests left,and finally,HM came out and walked to her car,waving and beaming head to toe.There were so many wellwishers and lurkers alike,that instead of stepping into the car,she walked around it exclaiming;"What a wonderfull day it had been" and shaking hands and chatting away with the crowd for a minute or so,deafening cheers from the crowd as she finally departed.

After that exciting wonderfull week,my feet had "departed" too,or so it felt,as I had hardly seen my bed the previous days,but it was worth it,every second.

A touch from Argentina at the Nieuwe Kerk:
YouTube - Dutch Royal Wedding

Courtesy Kelly who posted the link at the RWMB.

Last edited:
Máxima is the best life insurance for the monarchy

I found this article in today's Nederlands Dagblad (02-02-2007) and I thought it was a good idea to translate it for you:

MÁXIMA IS THE BEST LIFE INSURANCE FOR THE MONARCHY
By Hans Jacobs / Nederlands Dagblad 02-02-2007

WASSENAAR- A dinner with friends and with the bridal personnel which lives close by. That is all what has been planned by Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima for today, the fifth anniversary of their marriage. The Prince, just back from Kenya, also is not such a reviewer. He prefers to look forward.

“That was a little bit stupid”. These nicely rehearsed words by Máxima Zorreguieta during the announcement of the princely engagement did set the tone for her fast acceptance in the Netherlands. Five years after the 'fairy-tale marriage' on 02-02-02 can be stated that the partner choice of the Prince was anything but ‘stupid’. Princess Máxima has strengthened hím as well as given the monarchy colour and new zest.

A few years ago the future kingship of Prince Willem-Alexander was anticipated with scepticism. The republican movement even expected the Prince would, after a few faux-pas, witness his own end and that of the monarchy. The stubborn and somewhat short-tempered Prince Willem-Alexander was considered as their guarantee on success. Five year later on, even the Republican Society must admit that the Prince has, with the Argentinean Máxima, brought in the best possible life insurance for the monarchy.

According to an inquiry by the magazine Weekend Royalty, 74 per cent of the population thinks Prince Willem-Alexander is ready for ‘the big job’ even when the Queen is making no any signs of an abdication. The princely couple also gives the impression that they are not in a hurry for the kingship. “The later, the better” once was stated by the Prince. There is more than enough to do in the shadow of the throne and there is time for their children, Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia. Their daughters already need to get used to working and travelling parents but that is, according to the Princess, a situation which occurs in more families.

Their agendas are full. Prince Willem-Alexander, who has gained self-assurance since his marriage, even has adapted his style of planning so that there remains space for spontaneous visits and invitations. The princely couple helps Queen Beatrix where necessarily - last year they did host the royal new year receptions and end of February they will accompany the Queen on a State Visit to Turkey. The princely couple also work together in getting consciously rooted into society. Precisely as Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus once did before them, with meetings at Drakensteyn Estate.

Now there are dinners in the princely villa ‘De Eikenhorst’ (the Eyrie in the Oakwood) in Wassenaar. Guests from various generations and corners of the society are invited to learn from each other. There are also the so-called ‘Lunches for the Excellent’ at Noordeinde Palace. During these lunches the Prince and Princess receive price winning and excelling Dutchmen of all sorts and conditions. That can be a scientist, but also the national champion in sudoku-puzzles. According to the princely couple it is 'striking' how many Dutchmen become distinguished, often without any media attention.

Both take an active part in the Orange Fund, which was given to hem as a national wedding gift. This fund spends millions a year to encourage, support and stimulate, among many, volunteer work in districts and neighbourhoods, with younger persons, newcomers and olds. During the princely visit to Morocco (and also now to Turkey) younger persons with a bridge to youth and immigrants accompanied the Prince and Princess. Princess Máxima feels at home in the social corner and wants to expand her activities in this.

At the same time their focus is also over the borders. Two weeks ago was Princess Máxima was in New York. The Princess is member of an UN-advice group for making financial markets more accessible for the poor. Prince Willem-Alexander ended his participation in the IOC-commission for the election of the best city for organizing the Olympic Winter Games 2014: “Too busy”.

Since a few months, the 'Water Prince' is chairman of the UN-advice council for water and sanitary facilities in underdeveloped countries. The Prince sees this as a ‘top job’, in which he does not want to disappoint, despite the fact he could not make the promise to take a seat in the commission for the whole term (until 2015). In the Netherlands the Prince is very focussing on his pet topics of water management and environmental planning, among many with a long series of work visits. And in the best tradition of his mother: without media. Also during the recent princely visit to Kenya, the press was not welcome.

In general however, the relationship of the princely couple with the (serious) media is reasonably relaxed, as long as the heavy guarded private domain is not entered. “If we can not give our daughters an usual youth, we have failed” according to the Prince. By fits and starts the princely couple is looking for a balance between the necessary openness and the desired privacy. At the moment the princely couple is at the winning hand. Even the Argentinean press has refused to publicize the latest paparazzi photographs of Princess Máxima during a private visit in her native country.

Last edited:
Thank you VERY MUCH Henri M. for the translation! My Dutch level is still too basic to understand the hole article from its original source...

A (maybe "een klein beetje dom") question: why "Water Prince"?

Verde Esmeralda said:
Thank you VERY MUCH Henri M. for the translation! My Dutch level is still too basic to understand the hole article from its original source...

A (maybe "een klein beetje dom") question: why "Water Prince"?

He is very much involved in water problems, water supply and in sustainable development. Like Prince Charles is very into 'back to nature'-farming methods and 'architecturing on a human scale', Prince Willem-Alexander also has his own pet topics.

And of course the Netherlands, 2/3 under sea level and protected by dykes, dunes, continuously pumped dry by watermills and geographically the end of a riverdelta of Europe's largest rivers, is extremely vulnerable for waterproblems.

:flowers:

Thanks again... i'm happy to know that he is being known with other nickname, besides the unfortunate "Prince Pils" I'd heard / read before (which you also explained to me before, regarding the syndrome he suffers from):flowers:

I just readed, the photosession from the family wil be this weekend.

Oh yes! Finally some great pictures are coming our way! I'm so excited!

great news! beatrix will be with them?

i can't wait!
wonder which location they chose for the photoshoot.

Lech am Arlberg in Vorarlberg, Austria

carlota said:
i can't wait!
wonder which location they chose for the photoshoot.

Since almost 45 years the Queen and her family goes on wintersport in Lech am Arlberg, in Vorlarlberg, Austria. The Queen and her family also always and ever stay at the same hotel: Gasthof Post. The family Moosbrugger, who owns the hotel, is privately befriended with the Queen and her family.

Henri M. said:
Since almost 45 years the Queen and her family goes on wintersport in Lech am Arlberg, in Vorlarlberg, Austria. The Queen and her family also always and ever stay at the same hotel: Gasthof Post. The family Moosbrugger, who owns the hotel, is privately befriended with the Queen and her family.

thanks for the information henri. i thought this one was going to be the photoshoot for willem and maxima's anniversary rather than the lech one, as magriet and family were there earlier on.... (although perhaps they just took advantage of the situation and are doing both at the same time ;) )

Thank you for sharing this article with us. In my opinion, Willem-Alexander made one of the best decisions of his life when he asked Maxima to become his wife. They truly are a dynamic duo.

is the photosession in lech today or tomorrow? thanks!

at last a photosession, lots of wonderful pictures. The children are soo cute and its nice to see them with there parents. Cant wait !

The photosession wil be tomorrow!!!! Wonderful !!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see Máxima again in new photos! She looks great with this pregnancy!!

Yes can't wait for that photosession. She does look more tired with this pregnancy and much bigger.

Yes..This pregnancy is really BIG! It looks very different than the other two former ones. However, even big pregnancy could be girl's ones.

Vanesa.

Flag-instruction for the coming princely birth

Communiqué by the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst 9 March 2007

The acting Chairman of the Council of Ministers, Vice-Premier and Minister of Finances mr. W.J. Bos has, after consultation with the Council of Ministers, issued a flag-instruction for the coming birth of the third child of Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands.

The flag-instruction determines that the national flag will be flown, together with an orange pennant, from all the national administrative buildings, agencies, services and all other institutions which ressort under the national administration.

After the official announcement of the birth of the new Prince or Princess, the flag-with-pennant will be put out until sundown.

The Minister of the Interior will request all provincial and municipal authorities to follow the same instruction. The Minister of Foreign Affairs will request all Embassies and Consulates abroad to follow the same instruction.

The Hague,
9 March 2007.

Last edited:
Wow! was this also done for the other two princesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom