The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Were they at a wedding

Not sure where 'wearing black at a wedding' came up in this conversation. I said at evening events.

And royals certainly wear black at evening events. I could post pictures of Camilla, Kate, Sophie all wearing black. So I don't see how Meghan is possibly skating on a thin line.

If people are going to clutch pearls when 'soon to be royal' Meghan wears black, they really must clutch pearls a lot.

Not place to post the fashion of other royal ladies, but could post dozens of photos of senior royal ladies in black at events. Kate certainly has several black lace in her closet. Heck even when she was younger, the queen wore black.
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was that we regular folk now wear black to weddings (a place where it was once taboo to ever do such a thing), but I didn't think the royals ever wore all black unless in mourning or at a funeral.

But it appears I was (told) wrong - they do wear black.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah Kate has worn black to evening events (a really nice black lace dress comes to mind). I think things are a lot more relaxed with color...I do think it's true that they always travel with black outfits in case of the death of one of the members of the BRF.

Personally I think it horrible to wear black to a wedding. I would never do it...I've seen bridesmaids in black! BLEAH! I hope this phases out.

LaRae

Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yeah Kate has worn black to evening events (a really nice black lace dress comes to mind). I think things are a lot more relaxed with color...I do think it's true that they always travel with black outfits in case of the death of one of the members of the BRF.

Personally I think it horrible to wear black to a wedding. I would never do it...I've seen bridesmaids in black! BLEAH! I hope this phases out.

LaRae
I definitely wouldn't wear black to a wedding - I'd be afraid to give my great aunts heart palpitations.

Do the women of the BRF wear all black to day events? I feel like a black evening gown doesn't read as "mourning" because when they are mourning, they don't attend events like that anyway, right? As opposed to carrying out some day events in all black?

Maybe it isn't taboo anymore.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm trying to remember if they have worn black to a day event and nothing is coming to mind right off the top....we know the Queen wouldn't. I don't seem to think Camilla doing it...Not sure on Sophie...don't think Anne would.

I'd say no...but I could be wrong! Evening yes..not daytime. Unless it has been something like a memorial event (they wear the poppies to it every year..blank mind).

LaRae
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm trying to remember if they have worn black to a day event and nothing is coming to mind right off the top....we know the Queen wouldn't. I don't seem to think Camilla doing it...Not sure on Sophie...don't think Anne would.

I'd say no...but I could be wrong! Evening yes..not daytime. Unless it has been something like a memorial event (they wear the poppies to it every year..blank mind).

LaRae
Yeah - maybe it's just day events where they avoid all black...
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I actually think women wearing black to a wedding is pretty visually, but what do I know (..)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I definitely wouldn't wear black to a wedding - I'd be afraid to give my great aunts heart palpitations.

Do the women of the BRF wear all black to day events? I feel like a black evening gown doesn't read as "mourning" because when they are mourning, they don't attend events like that anyway, right? As opposed to carrying out some day events in all black?

Maybe it isn't taboo anymore.
Black 'only for funerals' seems to be the 'older' and by that I mean the queen, generation of royals. And only in older age. She wore black evening gowns in her youth.

And yes, some royals do wear all black/mainly black to day events. Kate has worn all black to visit a hospital and in New Zelanad (though did have a silver fern embroidered on the shoulder). She also has her black dress with white peter pan collar that come to mind. Camilla has at least one black suit, and day dress, though sometimes accessorizes with color (not always).

Heck Sophie wore head to toe black at Ascot.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

For me easily the best look since Meghan arrived on the royal scene. For once no hair fiddling/messy hair, a classy LBD, great shoes, appropriate jewellery.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...4159788098.jpg
Old 04-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Royal Highness

she is looking phantastic!
BYe Bine
Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 AM
Royal Highness

She does look great
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

The dress is lovely on Meghan and the jewels are nice. But that hair! Messy bun again with that great dress, UGH! Other than that, the shoes are a little "heavy" looking for my tastes, but still okay. Best look I've seen so far.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

It's a Black Halo dress, I believe. I have the exact one but in navy. She looks great and I love the shoes!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Regarding Meghan's first CHOGM look with the Altuzarra pin-striped dress and the black blazer, I don't particularly care for that look on Meghan. LOL. I see that there are a variety of opinions on some of the Meghan fashion blogs and a number of people here appear to like the dress, and some who don't overall or in part. As usual, Meghan carries it off very well, but it just strikes me as a bit too casual in this instance, and I don't like the length and cut of the dress on Meghan.

Someone described the look as laid-back California style meets preppy. Meghan has previously worn some edgy preppy-inspired looks (as seen in some of the Meghan fashion galleries in articles on the Internet). But for me, the belt is too long (even though it seems purposely designed that way). Although I like the shoes, I don't think they are particularly suited to the dress.

I like a lot of the things Meghan has worn recently, but this is not a look I'm partial to. The blazer doesn't seem to match the dress that well the way it's thrown over her shoulders. The bodice and back of the dress looks interesting without the blazer, but still I don't like the look on Meghan. It seems a bit overly conservative in it's length and styling. Prince Harry looked better, and of course they were color-coordinated. Obviously, Meghan has had a good influence on the styling and cut of Harry's clothes. But Meghan's look on her first CHOGM outing is just a miss for me. I think all the royal ladies will not please everyone every time out. And Meghan is in the midst of a high profile transition, which is surely not easy.

The black Halo Jackie O dress yesterday was stunning. I love the length, the overall styling and silhouette and especially the neckline. I know the black shade is exceedingly elegant and stunning on Meghan (and we know she loves black), but since the dress is also available in red and blue as seen on this website (http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/), it would have been nice to see Meghan in a different color. In fact, I'd buy the dress in all three colors! I wouldn't even have any objections to seeing Meghan in this black dress, if not for all the unrelenting black and dark colors she's tended to choose recently. But of course, I'm nitpicking.

At this point Meghan seems focused on making her appearances more about the events and the people she and Harry are meeting, while at the same time feeling comfortable and looking appropriately well-dressed. Perhaps that approach will remain the same for Meghan, as perhaps she does not wish all the talk to be about what she wears in an 'attention-seeking' kind of vibe. So I do think she is in transition, and as she's not married yet either, she and Harry are footing her clothing bills. I agree with MARG in looking forward that perhaps we shall see Meghan's style evolve over time, and there's a lot on the horizon. I just hope I won't grow to hate seeing her in black.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Meghan's second Commonwealth look is great and I much prefer it to the first outfit (which I agree, does look a bit like a school pinafore). I agree with those who say that she's probably still finding her style; after all, she's not married to Harry yet so is not technically a member of the BRF. Perhaps once she is married she will hire a stylist who can help her discover a style. It just takes some people time to find their own style - I've only recently just found mine myself.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I thought it interesting they brought up the hosiery issue (Queen prefers them to wear hose not bare legs) etc. Interesting discussion. I figure she learned yesterday that draped on the shoulder jacket look won't work on engagements.
I was surprised that they harped on it for Eugenie despite the fact that per usual Meghan's legs were bare too (which I have no problem with). I think it's clear that Meghan will only wear hosiery in HMQ's presence out of respect and maybe for formal church events. I think we'll get the answer to the latter at Mon & Wed services. Agree that the draped jacket doesn't work for a "meet and greet" engagements with lots of hand shaking, but I imagine we'll still see her with that styling at other events. Think of last year's polo match and Invictus Games opening ceremony. It's not my thing but it is Meghan's.

Quote:
Hmmm I have wondered, do you think she is trying to dress to match the group she's meeting with? Maybe this is why she's not looking the 'part' as some expect out of women in the BRF.
Yes I think she's been doing this from the beginning e.g. Brixton, Endeavor Awards. If the people she's meeting with are dressed relatively casually or if there's a wide range of style, she seems to dress accordingly so that they feel comfortable. I really like that about Meghan because it shows that those people are her focus. I know this goes against the notion of (paraphrasing here) they wear their best for me so I do the same but sometimes their best is khakis and a polo shirt and it's OK for the royals to meet people on that level.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Yes I think she's been doing this from the beginning e.g. Brixton, Endeavor Awards. If the people she's meeting with are dressed relatively casually or if there's a wide range of style, she seems to dress accordingly so that they feel comfortable. I really like that about Meghan because it shows that those people are her focus. I know this goes against the notion of (paraphrasing here) they wear their best for me so I do the same but sometimes their best is khakis and a polo shirt and it's OK for the royals to meet people on that level.
I agree with this - I think this is why she placed #1 on a poll about the most relatable royal. People don't see her as pretentious - they see her as relatable and I think her clothing choices are done deliberately to help her stay down to earth.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan at the Invictus games reception today

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id949414994
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id949413612
https://api.profimedia.com/data/larg...0369220868.jpg

This is her bag

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id949445806
Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Courtier

I love that dress and the colour on her. She looks great.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Royal Highness

Colour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Gorgeous. I wish we could see it without the coat

Closed Thread