Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 1: February 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The traditional torchlight procession in the inner Palace Courtyard of Fredensborg Palace that was scheduled for March 12 has been cancelled.

Usually Queen Margrethe is welcomed by Fredensborg's citizens and scouts to Fredensborg, but today the Palace announced that the Municipality of Fredensborg together with the Royal House have decided to cancel the event for reasons of safety - mass gatherings are considered to be too dangerous due to the possible spread of the Corona virus.

** kongehuset: AFLYST: H.M. Dronningen modtager Fredensborg bys fakkeltog **

The traditional torchlight procession in the inner Palace Courtyard of Fredensborg Palace that was scheduled for March 12 has been cancelled.

Usually Queen Margrethe is welcomed by Fredensborg's citizens and scouts to Fredensborg, but today the Palace announced that the Municipality of Fredensborg together with the Royal House have decided to cancel the event for reasons of safety - mass gatherings are considered to be too dangerous due to the possible spread of the Corona virus.

** kongehuset: AFLYST: H.M. Dronningen modtager Fredensborg bys fakkeltog **

Well, that's pretty much it, isn't it?

If the situation hasn't improved by 16th April the traditional balcony appearance at Amalienborg is bound to be cancelled as well. As way more than 1.000 people are expected to gather there.
Wonder how they will handle that one? A TV-greeting? (Sounds tame though.) Postponing all the festivities till next year?

The court has announced that QMII upon coming back from Norway has taken up residence at Fredensborg, where she intends to stay. - Basically a self-imposed quarantine.

She is obviouslt acting out of an abundance of caution. Where she leads a lot of Dane's will follow even with reluctance.

She is one smart cookie and knows in this time of national emergency her place is in Denmark being seen to lead her people per the instructions of the experts.

I concur with Marg.
We all have to live with disappointments during this crisis.
BTW Marg I hope Jacinda Arderns travel restrictions work for NZ.

The queen will adress the nation tonight at 20:00 pm

Hendes Majestæt Dronningen taler til befolkningen | Kongehuset

Her majesty the queen will this evening adress the whole nation from Fredensborg palace, about the serious situation in connection med with the spread of corona virus. The speech will be shown 20:00 pm on DR and TV2.

The queens speech is recorded this afternoon.

QMII gave a short speech, which will probably be available in English shortly.

It was a full support of the government and the health authorities and cracking the whip a little: Do what is being told, people will die, if you don't!
She mentioned that not all people seems to have understood the seriousness, like still going ahead celebrating round birthdays. (QMII has as you know cancelled hers.)

She used a phrase which was good: "We must stand together, by keeping a distance to each other."

- It is sensational that a Danish Monarch speaks to the nation outside the New Year address.

--------------

One of the problems the authorities is facing is that the weather, for once, is good, so people milled out into parks and public places, without being able to maintain a proper distance during the weekend.

ADDED: A photo from a private home of people watching QMII's speech:
https://images.scribblelive.com/2020/3/17/f7b22de3-dba4-4424-b25a-987c9ede228e.jpg

Such an extraordinary speech has not been held by a Danish Monarch since 1945.

Last edited:
Normally QMII moves her residence to Marselisborg in Aarhus, during Easter, but due to the Corona crisis, she has decided to remain at Fredensborg.

- A sound precaution. When QMII moves residence, a number of people are on the move as well. From drivers, to PET officers to guardsmen.

And at present a number of guardsmen from the Guards Battalion of the Royal Lifeguards Regiment are in quarantine at their barracks in Høvelte Barracks.

Last edited:
I am surprised that the Queen chose to describe the actions of some of her subjects as "thoughtless" and "inconsiderate".
I'm not surprised at all. The Queen has previously never shied away from taking the Danes by the ears if they misbehave. This was very much Mutti Margrethe speaking. She's also right - the actions of those not adhering to government guidelines is endangering the health and even the lives of others. I might have chosen more colourful words myself to express my feelings about those people.

That is really an excellent address. It hits all the important points: it admonishes those who aren't taking it seriously, offers sympathy and encouragement, and thanks those who are doing the hard work of dealing with the crisis. It's exactly what is needed from QMII right now.

I'm not surprised at all. The Queen has previously never shied away from taking the Danes by the ears if they misbehave. This was very much Mutti Margrethe speaking.

Thank you for the clarification! I was unfamiliar with the history of the Queen's speeches.
Out of curiosity, what were her most memorable "Mutti Margrethe" remarks previous to this?

You really can't underestimate the place a royal family holds in the heart of its people. When SHTF in as dire and devastating a way as the arrival of Covid-19 they are the glue.

People's entire lives are disrupted, even destroyed, jobs are lost and, in many cases, absolutely no money is coming in and fear rules the hearts and minds of the people. Their lives have been shattered and nobody has a clue what the "new nornal" will be.

This is when a connection showing mlyour monarch and royal family going about the business of living in a calm and confident manner, with grace and kindness speaks even louder than any words. They act as an anchor speaking praise or demanding the government do better. They praise those on the frontline, having spent their lives visiting frontlines caused by fire, flood and earthquake. Now we add Covid-19 and see they or their families are in as much danger as everybody else! And they help lead the way, cool, cam and collrcted

QMII has given an interview to a women's magazine, where she talks about her life coming to an end.
Her relationship to her grandchildren.
Her health.
Thoughts about PH.

- As not much else is happening, I think I'll have a look at it.

-------------

And for your viewing pleasure.
Here is an article by the same magazine.

In which the author claims QMII would be a good fashion-blogger should she decide to go online. - One of the main arguments is that QMII always know how to pose and present herself in the photo. (That is selected by photo-editors in the various picture agencies and magazines, but don't let trivialities get in the way of a good fill-story.)
https://www.alt.dk/mode/dronning-margrethe-stil

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/saadan-holder-dronningen-paaske

QMII will spend Easter at Fredensborg - pretty much on her own all Easter.
Apart from a LiW and an adjutant and a couple more from her staff.

There will be no guests, no going to church (being a devout Christian Easter is otherwise very important for QMII) and no lunch with the family.
QMII sticks to the guidelines issued by the government - and in her own speech.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/saadan-holder-dronningen-paaske

QMII will spend Easter at Fredensborg - pretty much on her own all Easter.
Apart from a LiW and an adjutant and a couple more from her staff.

There will be no guests, no going to church (being a devout Christian Easter is otherwise very important for QMII) and no lunch with the family.
QMII sticks to the guidelines issued by the government - and in her own speech.

I suspect it will be the same for a lot of the royals around the world: The Queen and Prince Philip at Windsor, C&C up at Birkhall, The Cambridges at Anmer, Princess BEatrix probably on her own, J-C and Sofia in their individual corners of Zarzuela....

Summary of interview with QMII in Alt for Damerne #15, 2020.
Interviewer: Marie-Louise Truelsen.

The interview is based on a number of photos of QMII wearing a dress or an outfit, then the questions gradually shift to other topics.
I will in this summary omit the dresses, unless relevant, and instead focus on answers from QMII that are of more general interest in regards to QMII's personality and opinions.
If you wish I may write a little about what QMII has to say about the photos.

Here we go.
QMII is asked about her thought about turning 80.
QMII: "Yes, time flies and then all of a sudden you are going to turn 80. I can't quite understand it myself. But when I look back I can see a tremendous lot has happened. A lot happens in 80 years.
You are used to regard people of 80 as very old and I don't that at all myself. But of course I probably am. (Laughing)"

A: Do You feel people look at You differently today?
Not really, responds QMII, probably because she has reached the age where people don't that much from year to year.
"I feel the same as I have for the past many years."

A: Do You still feel young inside?
QMII: "I certainly don't feel like an old person. I have never pondered much about my age. After all it's no secret. Everybody in the country knows when I was born and makes it all very easy."

A: Is there an age You look back on as something especially nice?
QMII is more thinking about that she has now been more than 50 for 30 years. She doesn't really thing at was that long ago she was 50.

A: What thoughts do You have about the coming ten years?
QMII: "I don't think there are ten years ahead of me. I really don't. But we shall see. I don't feel time is running out, but with a certain degree of realism you have to acknowledge that there isn't ten years ahead of me."

A: But You are healthy and well?
QMII: "Yes, and that's good as long as it lasts."

A: How is it to think that there are perhaps not ten years ahead of You?
QMII: "I'm actually very at ease with that. I'm busy because I do 117 things (= a zillion) all the time, so no, that doesn't play a big role as the years go by, I think."

A: "What's the best part of the age You have now?
QMII points to her experience build up over many years doing what she does.

A: Is there another calm or overview?
QMII: "Yes, perhaps there is, that might be."

A: I watched the documentary about Frederik IX, about Your father recently, how was it for You to take part and look back on history in that way?
QMII: "It was fun to be reminded about many things from that period. I actually think they did the series very well, but at the same time I can also see that the interior is undeniable somewhat made up. Apart from the scenes that really does take place in the real places, I couldn't help thinking from time to time: Well, that's NOT how it looked at my parents home. (Laughing.)"

A: What's the worst part of being Your age?
QMII responds that no longer being able to ski does annoy her, but apart from some physical limitations, she's pretty well.

A: Do You pick all the clothes You are seen wearing Yourself?
She does.

A: What does it mean to You to gather the whole family?
QMII: "It's nice when the whole family can gather. We were all gathered during Christmas 2018 and that was very, very cozy. We are so fortunate that we have pretty good room where we live, so there is room enough for people can be both together and not sit on each others lap all the time. And that's fine. And all the kids are outside most of the time, especially at Cayx, because the weather is usually summely. And during Christmas we gather around all the traditions and enjoy that."

A: How is it to see all the grandchildren together?
QMII: "I have noticed that Prince Joachim's two big boys are fantastically sweet towards their younger siblings. There is a very lovely relationship between Prince Joachim's four children, that I'm very impressed with. And the little ones look up to the two big ones, and that's so utterly charming/sweet."

A: How are You as farmor (paternal grandmother)?
QMII: "I'm certainly no exemplary farmor. I really am not. I think it's difficult to see as much to the children as I really would like to or ought to. And that's probably because I still have a lot to do, which is probably is the big difference between me and other grandmothers. I still have my hands full, so that's why there isn't quite as much time for the grandchildren. As it is now, most of the grandchildren out abroad. In Paris and Switzerland. Fortunately both teams are tremendously happy with their schools and that's nice to see.
Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to visit any of them while they are abroad."

- Okay, I'm taking a break.

There is much more though.
- Overcoming the loss of her husband.
- The last years of PH and how it was for the best he died.
- Her friends.
- The balance between being a royal, and being normal.

You may enjoy the scans here, and those who can understand Danish may enjoy the text as well:
https://app.box.com/s/udkhrgdgm0hg0nto6nvhdvsvbypnvish

Muhler what did Queen Margrethe say in the interview about the balance between being royalty and being normal?

:previous: I'll get to that tomorrow. ?

The interview of QMII continued.

QMII visiting Argentina was the first visit after the death of her husband, how was that?
QMII explains that she took it in her stride, after all PH retired a couple of years before he died and CP was with her. So that wasn't a problem. And it was nice to have Frederik with her, two can cover more ground than one. And that's also how it was, when her husband went with her.

A: Presumably it's also a part in quietly passing on the baton?
QMII: "You can say that. The Crown Prince is experienced, he is doing tremendously well, I think. I feel very, very comfortable about that. Both in regards to him coming along (to visits abroad) and in knowing that he is the one who will be taking over.
You have a tremendous responsibility as head of state, but it also contains many delights. And that I can tell that the Crown Prince is very much aware of. He is also very much helped by Crown Princess Mary, they are a very fine team."

QMII goes on to talk about the state visit to Argentine, which she had visited back in 1966, so it was interesting to return and see the changes. And a lot has happened since then! It was amusing to meet two or three she met at the previous visit.

(This is based on the photo from QMII and PH's siver anniversary, with the two of them in the window.)

A: What thoughts do You have regarding lifelong love?
QMII: "You find each other and then you build something up together. Make experiences with each other. Get to know each other and you have children and get to know them. The children become a part of ones life and all you have together.".

A: There are many today who doesn't manage to stay together all life?
QMII: "That's true, but some fortunately do. I actually have quite a few friends who have been together for just as long as my husband and I was."

A: What do You think is the recipe?
QMII explains that having something both are in to is essential, both together and apart. In their case it was art, and that came about after they met.
"We didn't spend much time together before we got married and that was probably just as well. Because then there is so much you can discover together and find out together. I knew about my husband's musical talent from the beginning, but it came as a surprise to me - for him as well, I think - when he suddenly started to make sculptures and was so good at it."
PH began to to make sculptures shortly before the death of Frederik IX.
Making sculptures is not something she masters, because it requires a 365 degree angle and that was something PH had.

A: You are good at being creative as well?
In a different way, explains QMII. She is into colors and lines, she is not good at being three dimensional.

A: Your husband also had a way with words?
QMII: "Yes, very much so."
That also evolved over time and he improved over time as well. The poetry appeared suddenly though. There was a musicality when he worked with the language. A rhythm and tone in his poetry, that in her opinion clearly stemmed from PH's musical talents.
This was something she and PH worked on together.
The discussed the meaning of the words, the structure of a sentence and how it could be changed. They played wordgames in both Danish and French and in both languages at the same time and they did that from the very beginning.
When PH started to write poetry, she helped a little with the translations and that she enjoyed as well.
So they had a rewarding teamwork both publicly and privately.

A: How has it been for You to lose Your husband?
QMII: "I began to sense that something was wrong, but it takes some time before it dawns on you what is wrong, when it's dementia. And before you find out that, yes, it's true alright, that something is wrong.
I don't mind saying that it wasn't easy for the last couple of years. He wasn't well."

A: Can one say that it in a sense was a relief when he passed away, even though that is not something you say?
QMII: "Yes, it's difficult to say out loud. It doesn't sound nice, when you say it. But I was glad that wasn't to linger on for longer than he did. For his sake. And for mine too. It's hard to be the relative of a person who is suffering from dementia, because that person change. It's not the same person you have been with for so many years."

A: Did You experience a form of loneliness in that?
"Yes... In a sense there was, I suppose..."

A: But You have moved along well?
QMII: "Yes, I do believe I have."

A: How does one move on after such a loss?
QMII: "I'm fortunate that I have my job. There is something I have to do. And then it turns out along the way, that things are going really well after all. Because you are preoccupied by the things you have to do. And because whet you have to do, is also what you would like to do. That counts for something as well. It's no sour duty. It's really a good thing to have something to do, so I'm very fortunate in that respect. I have also got a fantastic support from my entire family."

A: Has Your mother ever put You in a dress, where You though: Ush, I don't like that very much?
QMII: "As a child there were dresses one wasn't particularly fond of and other you loved and used for as long as they could possibly last.
My sisters and I had practically all our dresses sewn and we got new (dresses) every summer and autumn. When my mother brought us three girls to England for the first time, that was in the summer of 1952, we had SEVERAL dresses. My, they were fine. An my, we were fond of them. Most of the dresses I got at that occasion were some I really, really liked.
But there was one dress I always had a particular ability to spill on. I was tremendously good at spilling. The dress was actually really neat, but it met with ALL stains out for a walk. They sat down on that dress and in the end I couldn't stand it. Because I knew it wouldn't end well, when I wore it.
My mother got no stains. Benedikte get no stains. They don't dare. The stains.
But they come to me. (Laughing.) They always have."

A: That hasn't improved over the years?
QMII: "No, not really."

- Taking a break. The last bit tomorrow.

This is placed here temporarily: https://www.bt.dk/samfund/dronningen-vi-boer-ikke-panikke-over-klimaforandringerne

I guess I will be doing a good deal of translations over the next couple of days!

In this interview to the paper Politiken, QMII talks about climate changes, and while she admits there are climate changes, she is far from convinced as to why the climate is changing.
In fact QMII is not in line with the dominating view that the climate changes are man-made.

- Quite a few Danes will agree with her and just as many will disagree completely!

I look forward to writing about that article!
But it will have to wait a couple of days.

The third and last bit of the interview in Alt For Damerne.

Tomorrow it will be the climate-comments by QMII, I will deal with. And QMII has made headlines again! :D

This is based on the photo of QMII in a ballet-pose with her dear friend Susanne Heering.

A: Can You put some words on Your friendship with Susanne Heering?
QMII: "I got to know her lots of years ago, because was married to an acquaintance of mine, Peter Heering. She was interested in ballet and my mother had started up a small class with ladies that went to ballet instead of calisthenics. I was on that team and when we at some point needed to fill out the class a little Mrs. Heering joined us. We went to ballet every Tuesday for many years..."
Later on Susanne Heering moved away from Copenhagen and here she started a local ballet class in the nearby town of Næstved. Surprisingly it was a big success and she ended up having that ballet school for 31 years. And each year at the end of the season QMII contributed with ideas and sketches.

A: What does a friendship like this mean to You?
QMII: "It's nice to have good friends you tag along with through a long life. And I have many other good friends that I see regularly. It's people where you can be completely at easy with in each other's company and where you can see each other without the big hullabaloo. Some of my friendships goes all the way back to my time at school."

A: What does it take to become friends with You?
QMII: "That the characters/mindset/temperaments are compatible. And then I'll say that my friends are very careful about being discreet and be pretty at ease with everything."

A: Where in particular do You Yourself buy clothes?
QMII: Mainly in Cahor (summer dresses) and in London.

A: How ordinary can one be as a royal?
QMII: "I don't know. But you should preferably be fairly ordinary. (Laughing) Insofar as any people are ordinary.
If it's the clothes You think about, that is mostly a question of it fitting the occasion and that's something I learned from home. My mother was tremendously good at that. It's about not showing up in whatever suits you. That you are either really neat because that's what you are supposed to be, or that you are not too neat, because that's not what you are supposed to be."

A: Presumably it's also about being visible?
QMII: "Yes, I happen not to mind that very much. And as I actually also also has to be visible, it doesn't bother me showing up in strong colors."

A: And if it's not about clothes, but in general, how does one stick to being someone special and still be at eye-level with people?
QMII: "Well, you do your best and hopes that suffices."

- That's it. ?

Mange tak Muhler for the translations! They'll be something for me to read through tomorrow!

That's great many thanks Muhler for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom