Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: September 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaques Demolay said:
Margrethe 11

Thankyou. I must confess, that sometimes I get a little embarrassed when people call her "our own Aussie princess". If she had not have met Frederik, the majority of Aussies would not have cared a fig for her. She is only princess because she married the heir to the Danish Throne.
I am very happy that an Aussie married the Danish prince and will always follow her progress because of that, and I am happy that she is making good because as an Australian I would only want her to succeed. There is also the added bonus of Mary having a great personality, however, she is now a Dane.

As a Tasmanian, I am very proud of the fact that an Aussie could make a transition such as this and do it so competently.

It's the long way around to explain that I agree with you totally, that she is a Dane first.

Regards Jaques D.

.lol. I understand "JD"

She is Denmarks Australian-born Crown Princess. HRH relinquished both her Australian & UK pssports upon her marriage and as such is legally & officially a Dane (this we all of course already know).

I must confess though, that I bet she is still that same Mary Elzabeth Donaldson from Tasmania deep down...HRH (I am sure) shall never part with that 'Mary'.

"MII"

Hi, I don't post here very often, but I think things need to be clarified.

It seems to me that some people have misunderstood what is happening, and are reacting to false information.

On New Year's Day Crown Princess Mary will be at the New Year's Cour and Gala Dinner with the rest of the family and invited guests.

Mary will also be present with Frederik and the Regent couple for the Court events of 4th January - a cour for members of the Supreme Court, Officers from the Royal Guards and the Horse Guards, followed by a reception for members of the Diplomatic Corps.

On 5th January, while The Queen, The Prince consort and The Crown Prince are at a long reception for the Armed Forces, Civil Defence and high ranking representatives of organisations and their individual patronages,
Mary's court for her patronages will take place.

Nothing traditional is being undermined or compromised. Representatives will still see their own patrons, and of course this new, extra initiative on the 5th, hosted by the Crown Princess is fully sanctioned by the Queen, or it would not be under the umbrella of the New Years Court.

Before now, the New Year's Court receptions have been mainly for high ranking officials and the upper levels of society. This is a first step in broadening the court events, to include the greeting of ordinary people too.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi Freye & welcome :)

Thank you for the post. I am sure (pressume) it shall help clarify for those who have been a little puzzled by the whole thing...

"MII"

Thanks for the welcome, Margrethe II.

I was surprised to see things so badly misunderstood.

fanletizia said:
Princess Mary causes to controversy

Princess Mary of Denmark wants to make competition to queen Margrethe II with her own reception of New Year and in addition she generated misfortunes by a salad of kangaroo in the day of its wedding.
According to the press in Copenhagen, the wife of inheriting prince Frederik wishes "to implement a new tradition" the 5 of January. That day, the queen receives the representatives of the diplomatic body. Mary, of 33 years, wants, on the other hand, to offer a reception to representatives of beneficial organizations and the sector of the Danish fashion.

http://estadis.eluniversal.com.mx/estilos/46599.html

Okay, don't jump all over me or anything because this is my opinion:
I once was a great Mary supporter, but this makes me upset. QMII shouldn't have to deal with this at all because CP Mary should know her place. I'm sure QMII has approved it because it wouldn't happen otherwise, but it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place since the tradition with QMII is perfectly sufficient.

Also, AGAIN with the fashion... I know she's a patron, but there are much better and pressing issues that should have the attention of the future queen - the fight for human rights isn't over. I'm NOT saying Mary is bad and Alexadra is good, but Alexandra works for causes that are much more socially relevant and important. I would perfer to see CP Mary take a serious position in a human aid/rights organization than Danish fashion. I am glad that other organizations are included, but I would like to see CP Mary phase out the fashion emphasis because it gives a terrible image for royals: all they care about is clothes and other superficial things. Yes, other organizations will attend, but the only one people really seem to notice is the fashion.

Please don't be too harsh on me since I believe I bring up a valid point. Of course discussion is what we're here for, but lately I fear saying anything remotely critical of CP Mary sometimes because I know she has many die-hard supporters on this board who might not appreciate different views. I DO respect CP Mary for many things, but with these I believe I make a fair argument.

Last edited:
I really see no problem with it personally. She is to be the future Queen Consort of this Kingdom. What is so bad about holding her own Court in recognition of her own patronages?

Really, if HM the Queen has no problem with it then why should we? ;) :)

"MII"

SpiffyBallerina said:
I once was a great Mary supporter, but this makes me upset. QMII shouldn't have to deal with this at all because CP Mary should know her place. I'm sure QMII has approved it because it wouldn't happen otherwise, but it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place since the tradition with QMII is perfectly sufficient.

Also, AGAIN with the fashion... I know she's a patron, but there are much better and pressing issues that should have the attention of the future queen - the fight for human rights isn't over. I'm NOT saying Mary is bad and Alexadra is good, but Alexandra works for causes that are much more socially relevant and important. I would perfer to see CP Mary take a serious position in a human aid/rights organization than Danish fashion. I am glad that other organizations are included, but I would like to see CP Mary phase out the fashion emphasis because it gives a terrible image for royals: all they care about is clothes and other superficial things. Yes, other organizations will attend, but the only one people really seem to notice is the fashion.

Please don't be too harsh on me since I believe I bring up a valid point. Of course discussion is what we're here for, but lately I fear saying anything remotely critical of CP Mary sometimes because I know she has many die-hard supporters on this board who might not appreciate different views. I DO respect CP Mary for many things, but with these I believe I make a fair argument.

I agree that you have brought forward some valid points, Spiffyballerina. I am sure members on the board are too mature to get into verbal fights over Mary.

Although, why is it presumed that Margrethe has not given the consent willingly. Why shouldn't a Mother-in-law (even a future queen) think of her daughter-in-law, her desires and wishes. Why is it always assumed that there are tensions between the two and Mary is overstepping her boundaries. Since we can know for sure what happens between the two of them, can't we be equally sure that Margrethe presented the idea to Mary or maybe even Fred, so that she may better understand her future role as a queen consort.

I am not a Mary supporter or dissenter, I would like to think myself as a neutral person standing back an observing the discussion and may be try to point out the other side of the coin.

SpiffyBallerina said:

Not sure if you've read the previous posts properly. There is no conflict with the Queen's activities on the same day.

Again, its not only reps from the Danish fashion industry that have been invited (i.e. this shindig isn't for the sole benefit of the Danish fashion industry). In addition to the Danish fashion industry, the following have also been invited (as they should, because Mary is their patron):

"Representatives from the organisations under the crown princess's protection have been invited to attend the levee, including the Danish Refugee Council, the Children's Aid Day, the Heart Association, the Mental Health Association, and Copenhagen International Fashion Fair." (from Copenhagen Post).

I don't think its justified to give up on Danish fashion just because fashion is superficial. The fashion industry is just as valid an industry as say, the shipping industry. Its major player in the Danish economy and I for one welcome her involvement with it. Its important though to look past the common misconceptions about the industry (that is superficial) - we should try to be objective and think "hang on, its a legit industry, its part of the Danish economy and she's making a difference, helping people who work in that industry". I think that Mary's charities are quite wide ranging, including as it does human rights/aid organisations, sporting organisations and the fashion industry. She mixes it up, which makes it very interesting. And it is this wider interest that will allow her to bring attention to less newsorthy organisations/ causes. That's the way to do it IMO. Good work, tough chickie, she has a modern head on her shoulders (which is what an outdated institution like a monarchy needs).

From what I understand, the 5th is a day when most of the DRF will be recognising their own charities, and Mary has decided to join them by holding hers on this day as well. Easy peasy - and a good idea IMO. I don't really see any reason for her to lump hers with the rest of the Danish armed forces etc.

Last edited:
QMII is a women firmly in control of her job of being The Queen. Even the thought of Mary dreaming up something of her own is silly at best. Whatever is the queen's reason for approving Mary's activities we may never know but nothing happens without her consent. Mary do as Mary is told - to believe anything else is pure fantasy.

Actually Spiffy Ballerina your wish has already come true. Crown Princess Mary's patronages were chosen from a broad range of issues.

point 1- The Spanish article you quoted is a gross distortion of the facts, and probably deliberately so. (See my post on the previous page).

point 2-Crown Princess Mary's patronages are predominantly related to social, health and humanitarian issues. Unfortunately many people don't know that, and jump to conclusions.

Here is a list of Mary's patronages, from the CPMEoD board (used with permission):

http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3535

HRH The Crown Princess is patron of the following:

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Danish Academy of Music LINK
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association LINK
The Danish Cultural Institute LINK

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

Humanitarian Aid:
The Danish Refugee Council LINK . LINK

Research and Science:

The Danish Youth Association of Science LINK
Research Day LINK

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation LINK . LINK
Danish Association for Mental Health LINK
Rare Disorders Denmark LINK
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation LINK
The Christmas Seal Foundation LINK
The Danish Brain Injury Association LINK
The Danish Heart Association LINK
The Danish Kidney Association LINK
The Danish Mental Health Fund LINK
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe LINK
Crown Princess Mary is also a member of the board of directors for the Danish Cancer Society.
Queen Margrethe is the patron.

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union LINK
Women's World Cup Cycling LINK

HRH is also honorary member of the following organisations outside Denmark:

Honorary Hans Christian Andersen Ambassador to Australia LINK
Honorary Life Governor, The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute LINK
International Committee of Women Leaders for Mental Health

Just to keep on topic, it is representatives from all these organisations who Mary will receive and thank at the final of the New Year's Court events.

Last edited:
Freye said:
Actually Spiffy Ballerina your wish has already come true.

point 1- The Spanish article you quoted is a gross distortion of the facts, and probably deliberately so. (See my post on the previous page).

point 2-Crown Princess Mary's patronages are predominantly related to social, health and humanitarian issues. Unfortunately many people don't know that, and jump to conclusions.

Here is a list of Mary's patronages, from the CPMEoD board (used with permission):

http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3535

HRH The Crown Princess is patron of the following:

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Danish Academy of Music LINK
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association LINK
The Danish Cultural Institute LINK

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

Humanitarian Aid:
The Danish Refugee Council LINK . LINK

Research and Science:
The Danish Youth Association of Science LINK
Research Day LINK

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation LINK . LINK
Danish Association for Mental Health LINK
Rare Disorders Denmark LINK
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation LINK
The Christmas Seal Foundation LINK
The Danish Brain Injury Association LINK
The Danish Heart Association LINK
The Danish Kidney Association LINK
The Danish Mental Health Fund LINK
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe LINK
Crown Princess Mary is also a member of the board of directors for the Danish Cancer Society.
Queen Margrethe is the patron.

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union LINK
Women's World Cup Cycling LINK

HRH is also honorary member of the following organisations outside Denmark:

Honorary Hans Christian Andersen Ambassador to Australia LINK
Honorary Life Governor, The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute LINK
International Committee of Women Leaders for Mental Health

Thank you so very much Freye :) :)

"MII"

grevinnan said:
QMII is a women firmly in control of her job of being The Queen. Even the thought of Mary dreaming up something of her own is silly at best. Whatever is the queen's reason for approving Mary's activities we may never know but nothing happens without her consent. Mary do as Mary is told - to believe anything else is pure fantasy.
Hi,
Had to comment on your post which I agree with. Mary could never ever organise an event of this type without the express approval and - who knows? encouragement - from Queen Margrethe. As I see it, QMII may very likely see this as a good opportunity to introduce some changes and new elements in these procedures.

Re Mary's fashion activities (general comment); I don't understand why some people critise this. The Danish fashion industry is actually a very great industry and one which brings in a lot of money to the country. No one would ever question a Danish royal who worked to support e.g. the shipping industry which also brings in a lot of money to Denmark.
QMII has never seemed to be very interested in fashion; she has many artistic interests which various arts and crafts organisations in Denmark has enjoyed over the years. I personally think it it a good thing if we now have a new crown princess who shows an interest in one of the dominant industrial sectors in Denmark and has agreed to be a patron for it.

I already said that I KNOW CP Mary works for many diverse charitable organizations, but the only one that seems to get press is the fashion, and therefore I believe the fashion should be toned down so as not to promote a frivolous and snobbish idea of royalty.

grevinnan said:

I have to disagree. Margarethe is extremely uninterfering and hands-off when it comes to her sons and their wives. (the best trait possible trait in a mother-in-law;) )she didnt even meet mary until Fand M been together several years. she wasnt particularly involved in 'screening' who her son would marry-the most important decision of Fred's life both for his own happiness and the future of the royal family.

i'm sure she advised Mary on how to adjust to royal life but the only situation in which I could imagine Margarethe actually interfering is if Mary were committing some outrageous breach of royal protocool.

The new years reception is not that big of deal, so if Margarethe is unhappy-I'm quite sure she would keep it to herself.

I can´t se why ther is sutch a big debate about Mary having a New Year's Court for her patronages.
I mean she is going to learn how to do this kinde of things before she becom queen her in Denmark.
I think it is a great idea becaus she has 20 patronages to take care of and she also has her and Frederiks babyboy to take care of.
Ther is now ned to take a big step and do a wrong thing when you can take a littel step and do a greath thing....

SpiffyBallerina said:
I already said that I KNOW CP Mary works for many diverse charitable organizations, but the only one that seems to get press is the fashion, and therefore I believe the fashion should be toned down so as not to promote a frivolous and snobbish idea of royalty.
That's not true. The only time the fashion really gets press is about one weekend in February and one weekend August, when the Copenhagen international fashion fair takes part. It is only by some of you that the fashion keeps on being an issue between those two weekends in February and August. It can not be Marys problem that some people can not separate two weekends of fashion form the rest of the year. and who says that royalty only has be about clapping unfortunate children from 3th world countries on thier heads. There are already many royals doing that. Royals can also do culture(theatre, film, art etc.), enviroment, agriculture, science, healthcare, social things, sports, design, education, fashion, business/exports(those she will do many of in the future) you name it. With pictures and press some of those things wont get as much covarage because it is just less visual and doesn't always interests the broard public. That is just how it is. But often a little press covarage for a small organisation like Rare Disorders, a gallery for disabled artists or daycenter for immigrants, that otherwise would not get mentioned, is better than nothing. And thats is what Mary helps with.

Mary is patrone for for instance The Danish Refugee Council which works both domestic and out in the world and Im sure she will do trips to disaster areas in the world for them through the rest of her life as a CP. But that doesn't mean it will happen right away. And she should not hurry up just because royals and small poor children looks good on photographs. Alexandra did not start out right away either. Except for one trip where Alexandra followed Joachim the first few days on one of his trips to Afrika for the organisation CARE, before Alexandra went to Hong Kong for a holiday, Alexandra did not do any trips like that in about her first three years as a princess and she also had about 8 or 9 patronages after 3 years. Much of Alexandras start up was more or less smaller activities like opening different things. She first took took off later later on in her princess life. I think it would only be fair to judge Mary in ten years time. Then there will be much more varity in her work to judge her on and she will also have had the children she and Frdderik wants so she can concentrate more on her work.

pollyemma said:
I have to disagree. Margarethe is extremely uninterfering and hands-off when it comes to her sons and their wives. (the best trait possible trait in a mother-in-law;) )she didnt even meet mary until Fand M been together several years. she wasnt particularly involved in 'screening' who her son would marry-the most important decision of Fred's life both for his own happiness and the future of the royal family.

i'm sure she advised Mary on how to adjust to royal life but the only situation in which I could imagine Margarethe actually interfering is if Mary were committing some outrageous breach of royal protocool.
You absolutely don't know anything about wether Margrethe is hands-off or not. And she only did not officially comment on Mary during Mary and Freds relationship. That does not mean that Margrethe privately was not interrested and talked to frederik and met Mary. They reportedly went together to the cinima to see Lord of the Rings in the christmas 2002. Had Margrethe commented early on in thier relationship then the press would have gone even more "engagement-nuts" than they already did. I think that was a wise solution and will also be that in the future for the new generation.

H.M. Margrethe said:
I can´t se why ther is sutch a big debate about Mary having a New Year's Court for her patronages.
I mean she is going to learn how to do this kinde of things before she becom queen her in Denmark.
I think it is a great idea becaus she has 20 patronages to take care of and she also has her and Frederiks babyboy to take care of.
Ther is now ned to take a big step and do a wrong thing when you can take a littel step and do a greath thing....
I do not see fuss either. It will only be s a small reception for her patronages. Thats all!! The big News year court the 5. January is traditionally(old) only for the Reigning couple and the heir to the throne. Not the Crown Princess. So Mary would not have taken part in that anyway. So it is not like she skips something. But the other New Years Courts 1. and 4. January she will attend. btw the Queens, Prince Henriks and Frederiks patronages are invited to the big New Years Court.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpiffyBallerina said:

Yeah, ok....and that's really Mary's fault :rolleyes:

"MII"

Exactly...Mary does not control the amount of press attention that her fashion patronages get! These are only a couple of days of the year that she attends these fashion events as patron...the rest of the year is devoted to her other patronages and her duties as crown princess...There are lots of threads on this message board of Mary's official activities as crown princess besides going to fashion shows! That's proof enough!

Margrethe II said:
Yeah, ok....and that's really Mary's fault :rolleyes:

"MII"

if you'd reread spiffyballerina's post you'd see the only person she was blaming was the media. you're so defensive of mary you perceive insults to her where there are none.

pollyemma said:
if you'd reread spiffyballerina's post you'd see the only person she was blaming was the media. you're so defensive of mary you perceive insults to her where there are none.

If you reread over the page, SpiffyBallerina's post, you may see why I have replied the way I did.

I know that she recognises Marys other patronages but she is pin pointing the balme on the Crown Princess in regards to the media attention on the fashion side of things.

Defensive of Mary? when there are people flying insults at the woman (and not just in this thread) built upon pure assumptions (and that is all they are is assumptions), I think defending someones name is the right thing to do, If you dont, too bad.

Spiffy Ballerina has made her view (which is her right) most well known (not solely in this thread) by calling the Crown Princess, & I quote 'A spoiled brat'!

Something I have learned, is how can anyone possibly claim that he or she doesn't like a person when they have only seen photos or a video link? I have no negative or ill feelings towards any of the Crown Princesses whatsoever as I have no reason or right to make such claims.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Something I have learned, is how can anyone possibly claim that he or she doesn't like a person when they have only seen photos or a video link? I have no negative or ill feelings towards any of the Crown Princesses whatsoever as I have no reason or right to make such claims.

"MII"

hmmm...I have to disagree with you on this point. I DO think its possible to know a lot about someone from photos, articles, how they interact with people, the ways they spend their time etc. especially Mary who has given an especially high volume of interviews as compared to the other European Crownprincesses.

of course its unfair to make an assumption about someone after seeing a few photos but after a lot of photos, reading lots of articles etc etc yes you can get a good impression of what someone is really like.

pollyemma said:
hmmm...I have to disagree with you on this point. I DO think its possible to know a lot about someone from photos, articles, how they interact with people, the ways they spend their time etc. especially Mary who has given an especially high volume of interviews as compared to the other European Crownprincesses.

of course its unfair to make an assumption about someone after seeing a few photos but after a lot of photos, reading lots of articles etc etc yes you can get a good impression of what someone is really like.

Fair enough, I respect that this is your opinion but I disagree...

I hardly think that one is able to claim that they know alot about a person from a few articles (the media is hardly a reliable source unless they have had a one on one interview(s) which you noted), in photos I have seen nothing but a down to earth, vibrant & happy woman who is sincere & warm hearted. She is always smiling.

Mary is so much more than a "fashion obsessed" Crown Princess and I do take issue with her being label as such.

That said, I dont want this situation to linger and dominate general discussion.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Fair enough, I respect that this is your opinion but I disagree...

I hardly think that one is able to claim that they know alot about a person from a few articles (the media is hardly a reliable source unless they have had a one on one interview(s) which you noted), in photos I have seen nothing but a down to earth, vibrant & happy woman who is sincere & warm hearted. She is always smiling.

Mary is so much more than a "fashion obsessed" Crown Princess and I do take issue with her being label as such.

That said, I dont want this situation to linger and dominate general discussion.

"MII"
I agree with you Margrethe II, it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine someones personality based on photographs. Some members of my family look strict and snobbish in photos but in reality they are fun cheerful people. I would say the same is about Mary. Poor woman, leave her alone for a change and stop bullying her.(to those select few in this forum). Also, i dont think that the Queen would allow her to join the family if she thought she was a snobbish and uptight person or whatever the anti-mary poeple say she is. I think the Queen might be a good judge of personality and she obviously approved of Mary. And the Queen can judge as she has actually MET Mary not through viewing pictures but actually seeing her in the flesh :)

Last edited:
"Fair enough, I respect that this is your opinion but I disagree...

Mary is so much more than a "fashion obsessed" Crown Princess and I do take issue with her being label as such."

I find this an interesting comment becuase by looking at the same articles and photographs you seem to have concluded that Mary is a wonderful person. Yet you seem to criticise others for doing the same thing and reaching a different conclusion. Or at least that's what it seems.

Little_star said:

Mary is so much more than a "fashion obsessed" Crown Princess and I do take issue with her being label as such."

I find this an interesting comment becuase by looking at the same articles and photographs you seem to have concluded that Mary is a wonderful person. Yet you seem to criticise others for doing the same thing and reaching a different conclusion. Or at least that's what it seems.

It can seem to you however you like.

My conclusion is not purely based upon articles in gossip mags and photos like it is for yourself, but I think that having personally met the Crown Princess, I can quite comfortably say that she is not the many things some people here, have misconstrued her to be.

"MII"

Last edited:
Little_star said:

well like i said in my previous post, the Queen wouldnt have allowed her in to the family if she wasnt a wonderful person. Also, Frederik obviously sees some good in her, otherwuise why would he have married her? Do you think he would have married a person who the anti-mary people say she is? The Queen has met her and therefore came to the conclusion that she would do good for the monarchy etc, and she met her not through photos but in person.

"My conclusion is not purely based upon articles in gossip mags and photos like it is for yourself, but I think that having personally met the Crown Princess, I can quite comfortably say that she is not the many things some people here, have misconstrued her to be."

My information on Mary isn't purely "gossip" as you seem determined to suggest.

Little_star said:
My information on Mary isn't purely "gossip" as you seem determined to suggest.

Oh...right...

So as to not fill this thread with further "getting no where conversation" (which I think we can all safely say gets us no where fast), you are more than welcome to write me through the Forums email service "LS", and explain what you implied to be, reliable sources..of course only if you wish to!

"MII"

Last edited:
Let's bear in mind that Mary has been in the public eye going on 5 years now...Her life has been completely exposed by the media...Emma Tom just wrote an unauthorized biography on her and could not find any hidden dirty secrets on Mary! Reading a lot of the internet message boards on royalty, there are a lot of people who do not like Mary (which is entirely their right)! However, if any of these people had any "information" on Mary...they could have sold it to the media by now! In addition, the DRF would have had Mary's past checked out, so they know everything there is to know about her! So anyone claiming to have such exclusive information (truthful and untruthful)..do not know anything that we have not heard about Mary already...even Emma Tom in her book criticized the nasty comments written about Mary on the internet as the work of "fustrated and unimaginative fiction writers".
In the final analysis...anyone who cares to take the time to find out the truth and the facts would know that Mary does a lot of other work besides being the patron for the Danish Fashion industry (as can be seen from the numerous threads of her activities on this message board)...in addition, she has a loving husband, has produced a son and direct heir to the Danish throne, learnt one of the most difficult languages in the world to the point of being fluent, has the support of a royal family that allows her to thrive and grow in her role as Crown Princess and has the support of the Danish people! And no matter who claims to have this so-called "information" on Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth of Denmark...nothing can change the fact that she is presently the wife of the Crown Prince of Denmark, the mother of the future King of Denmark and a respected senior member of the Danish Royal Family!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom