Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 4: May 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the reason why the DRF does so many interviews and photo shoots b/ they don't have a full as calendar as other royal families?

Reina said:
Is the reason why the DRF does so many interviews and photo shoots b/ they don't have a full as calendar as other royal families?

Good question, Reina.

I was under the impression that they are out and about more than other royal families. Somehow I don't think all their activities get recorded in the Royal Calendar.

I think Queen Margrethe has a bit of the theatrical temperament. She likes to be down-to-earth but then she really likes to pull off a good show when the situation calls for it. She's designed tapestries, monograms, all sorts of theatrical props for the Royal family. The Danes in their regalia are about the most royal looking family today. They have the props, they have the attitude, it just flows. I think Margrethe is more outgoing than Mary and that's where the difference between the two women lies but Margrethe wasn't always that outgoing.

The Royal Family is also outspoken. Margrethe has given some controversial speeches but it hasn't affected her popularity. Henrik went off into France with a statement to the press that he had been degraded and apparently the Queen had seen and approved of the statement. That really surprised me. Frederik is the only crown prince I know of that has several interviews on his website. Perhaps they want to remain regal yet accessible at the same time?

Its almost a given that as a royal, Mary would be expected to fall into this pattern. That's why I don't believe Margrethe would let Mary just come in and set her own agenda like this.

For right now, I think Mary is unusual-looking but that can be an advantage as a royal. She seems to be a bit stand offish but given the intrusiveness of the press, I think that's wise for now.

Give her a couple of more years, and then we can really see what kind of Crown Princess and later Queen she will be.

I think we have to reconize the fact that Mary is doing a very good job since she married with FredericK! For what I see in the photos nothing says to me that she became snob or pretensious...In my opinion she could be on the beach, doing shop, or salling like other royals do...but no, she's pregnant,probably very nervous and tired,without overcareful husband...performing her tight agenda. This is my opinion of course.

michelleq said:
I agree with Carlota. I said before in a thread that Mary is turning into a "Princess Diana". She thinks too much of herself and you're going to see more of it. She will be a problem; and I am waiting to see how the Royal Family handles her.

As far as the raising the chin; Princess Caroline of Monaco does the same. Now, I remember reading that Attorney Robert Shapiro told one of his famous client (I don't want to mention his name, horrible person) that he should raise his chin when facing the photographers. This way your eyes will not red when the cameras flash.

can't agree with you more! i also thought she was too pretentious when i saw her in all those covers in magazines so short after the marriage. you are also quite right in what you said about camilla and charles. i changed my opinion so much after the wedding and saw a lot of true love there. however, (maybe it's too late to judge but...) i don't think this is the case. i find her more as an "attention seeker" than a princess...

ysbel said:
....Give her a couple of more years, and then we can really see what kind of Crown Princess and later Queen she will be.
Agree, it will be fair enough for her....sometime people have a wrong start but they still can fix it in the future.

Harmony said:
How do you expect to look upstage on a stage that are floating on the water??? Looked down??? :p

btw I was refering to her in general not just those pictures so no I dont expect her to look down on a stage that are floating on the water. I expect her to look relax and confident like many other royals I admire that do not raise their chin up majority of times to seeming snobish in a sense.:rolleyes:

oskana said:
btw I was refering to her in general not just those pictures so no I dont expect her to look down on a stage that are floating on the water. I expect her to look relax and confident like many other royals I admire that do not raise their chin up majority of times to seeming snobish in a sense.:rolleyes:

It does look snobbish, but Mary doesn't come off as being pretentious. I think that Mary is trying to make herself look poised and isn't pulling it off very well. She is still new to the game and eventually she will take notice of how it looks in photos and adjust her actions. She still needs more time to really assert herself and become comfortable. Raising her chin up from time and time is not the end of the world. All things considered, she is doing a fine job.

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16167478%5E3462,00.html

Glowing pregnancy of our princess radiant

06aug05
THERE'S no disguising Princess Mary's growing bump even if she wanted to.

Tasmanian-born Mary and her husband, Danish Crown Prince Frederik, attended a floating theatre yesterday for the opening of a musical based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen's harbour.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=37246

Princess Mary 'glows' at the theatre

12:37 AEST Sat Aug 6 2005
AAP
There's no disguising Princess Mary's growing bump even if she wanted to.

Tasmanian-born Mary and her husband, Danish Crown Prince Frederik, attended a floating theatre on Friday for the opening of a musical based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen's harbour.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16175021%5E663,00.html

Mary vows to raise baby Aussie way
By JACQUELINE FREEGARD
07aug05

PRINCESS Mary is planning to raise her child the Australian way -- whether the Danish royal family like it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radio/princess-power/2005/08/04/1123125839637.html?oneclick=true

Princess power
By Alexa Moses
August 6, 2005

Adult women who swooned over Princess Diana now swoon over Princess Mary.

From theatre to reality TV, the myth of the princess has never been more popular.

The five women are learning to walk. Shifting their weight backwards, they painstakingly extend a leg, place the foot down and pause. They take another step, and another, bobbing across the room like tentative storks.

Their fairy godmother, Teresa Page from StarMakers studio, shows the women in her presentation class how it looks at speed. Page panthers across the room until she reaches the opposite wall, pauses sideways and snaps her chin over her shoulder. She panthers off again in the jaw direction. Page is a Chilean-born model, whose claim to fame is that hers was the first deportment course that Crown Princess Mary, nee Mary Donaldson, attended after meeting Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik. Up to 50 women attend Page's courses each week to tap the princess power within.

Of the female archetypes, the princess is the most ubiquitous. Adult women who swooned over Princess Diana now swoon over Princess Mary. Tweens are riveted by the oeuvre of actor Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries, Ella Enchanted). The Disney Princess brand, which brings together seven of their female characters and dubs them princesses, is colossally popular among little girls. Hillsong Church frames segments of its women's ministry in the language of royalty (instead of being Christ's brides, women are now his princesses).

Why does women's fixation with the princess continue in the face of feminism and harsh reality? The Australian fascination with the princess is so robust that when, this year, Granada Productions called for women between the ages of 18 and 30 to be groomed for a reality television show called Australian Princess, more than 4000 women applied. Fourteen women are being taught grooming, deportment, elocution, conversational skills, public speaking, etiquette and how to mingle in Australian and British high society.

Talking to women, teenagers and girls, it's clear the appeal of the princess goes far deeper than the desire to walk nicely and wear a ball gown. The aspiration is as much about transforming the personality as it is about polishing the exterior.

At the heart of the princess myth lies the notion of transformation. Inside the female, the myth goes, waits a flawless being, gracious and pure. Oh, and physically beautiful, of course. It just takes someone - a fairy godmother, prince or reality-television producer - to pare back the soiled layers and scrub off the tarnish, and the true, perfect self is revealed. The delicious moment in so many fairytales, books and films is this rebirth, when the true self emerges shyly. So a fairy godmother turns housemaid Ella into Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty and a Tasmanian account manager receive their tiaras after they are kissed by princes.

Deportment teacher Page describes the alchemy this way: "Australia doesn't have a monarchy, but I believe there's nobility in the individual. I try to help people bring that powerful, noble being out."

The key word that wannabe princesses, deportment teachers and even entertainment companies use to describe this transformed being is "power", in various forms - "empowered" and "powerful". When Ruthy Anscombe read the website of a feminist who characterised the princess of fairytales as a weakling who needed to be rescued by a prince, Anscombe felt compelled to post a reply.

"I wrote back to her disagreeing, because she mentioned a lot about the Prince Charming," Anscombe says. "Men don't have to be involved; women can enjoy life by themselves. I think we're valiant creatures, we're extraordinary and mysterious and powerful. I don't think wanting to be a princess takes away from that at all. I think it helps."

And isn't the princess powerful? Whether she's Cinderella or teen actress Hilary Duff, she's invariably the protagonist of the tale. The prince, a shadowy figure in tights or jeans, depending on the era, dances attendance. The princess is fawned upon, scrutinised, adored, and gets the goods - the prince, the frocks, the applause.

One way of explaining the princess myth is that it taps into some deep human anxiety about not being complete, about not being sexy, smart or successful enough. Academic and author Dr Catherine Cole, of the University of Technology, Sydney, likens shows such as The Nanny to a fairy godmother transforming hyperactive kids into obedient children, and believes plastic surgeons and renovators transforming your face or home can be equated to handsome princes.

"I wonder what people really think happens when those programs end," Cole says. "You've transformed the external, but what you think motivates your unhappiness - will that change? What once might have been a mythological process, a fairytale or a story that was a metaphor for something has become something that people see as quite real and potentially doable."

Being a princess also implies an element of restraint. The adjectives commonly used to describe Princess Mary, for example, include groomed, cool, elegant and poised.

Even Innes wonders how Princess Mary maintains her poise. "There's a bit of subjugation," she says. "She's serious. I find it draws you to observe it; it amazes you that this human can be so controlled. There are great things about it and things that make you a little concerned."

Early in our lives, both males and females discover that participating in formal situations involves restraining oneself, assuming a formal persona with the black tie. Yet formal finesse is perhaps scarce in Australia, which is known for its casual clothing and casual manners. Australians are generally not taught social manners, such as how to accept an award graciously, walk confidently, write a thank-you note or put others at a gathering at ease.

As the grey-suited, immaculately groomed Miss Dally glides into a large room in her Sydney city school for education and training, the eight young women practising their catwalk routine to Shakaya's song Are You Ready? suck themselves up, straight as soldiers. Miss Dally says good afternoon to her "young ladies" and asks them to continue walking so she can watch.

"Keep ya body movin', keep ya hot body groovin'," Shakaya sings as the girls walk in a way that looks nothing like groovin'. They lift their chins, tuck their bottoms under and walk across the room as if they had ceased breathing. "Body control!" Miss Dally urges them from the sidelines. "Don't let your body be sloppy because that's how it will grow!"

To Miss Dally, these girls aren't princesses, a word she equates with girls who dress like Barbie dolls. "Those 'princesses' are showing themselves off in clothes that are far too brief and way-out, instead of developing themselves as good human beings," she says.

The Grade-A princess, in Dally terms, is not about undue restraint but about refining oneself and learning social rules so one can be comfortable in one's own skin. "When you know the right way to be, it gives confidence and self-assurance," she says.

That presupposes there is a right way to be. If there is, the code is scrambled. Is the right way for Australian women to behave dictated by European monarchy, or is it something like 1950s Australia, or are the rules decided by groups selling corporate grooming programs described as being empowering to both genders? Even if we could agree on a right way to be, would these rules free women by teaching them confidence, or would they be yet another way of playing on female anxieties about not being perfect?

It's the opening night of Disney on Ice's Princess Classics, which, despite the name, isn't about cryogenically frozen princesses. The show stars ice-skaters dressed as Sleeping Beauty, Jasmin from Aladdin, Mulan, Ariel the little mermaid, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and the show stopper, Cinderella. They've Disney-fied the classic fairytales and myths.

The foyer of the Entertainment Centre rings with the chirpy voices of little princesses. Their tiaras are plastic instead of diamond, their dresses are bubblegum-pink tulle instead of silk and their slippers are rubber. A miniature Snow White in yellow rayon and sneakers bounces past. A plastic-moulded Cinderella model with whom little princesses can have their photos taken is ransacked at intermission by eager girls. It's a pandemic of princess fever.

In the centre of the throng, galumphing towards door nine, is the kind of princess a classic fairy godmother would refuse to enrol. This girl is plump, ungainly and argumentative, with fuzzy hair and thick glasses. She tugs at her mother's hand for attention. "Look, Mum! I'm a princess!" she bellows, climbing the steps in her rubber slippers.

Surely this princess can't last long in the palace. But after she's ejected, will she spend her youth hammering on the castle door, or will she discover other, brighter ideals by which to steer herself?

P.S: i hve posted this entire article because it's necessarily to be a member of this journal.

Interesting. based on a chinese gender chart for pregnant mums, at the time of her conception with this baby, she is 33 years old. therefore she is expected to have a boy :) and so will letizia. lets see if the chart is accurate!

Jasl said:
Its just a mannerism that she has. She certainly doesn't do it all the time either - perhaps its because of upturned nose that makes her seem like she does it all the time.

I also can't help but think that its poor form to judge a person based on their looks. The meekest and most approachable looking person might have the nastiest personality, with a hidden agenda etc... you know what I mean?

Really...so it must be a mannerism she apparently just acqiured huh? Has she had this mannerism before or after she became cp? If she's had this mannerism forever then i apologize for criticizing her in that respect. Your right its poor form to judge a person based on their looks. But to me I was judging her based on her how she carries herself which I thought was ok not whether she's pretty or ugly.

rchainho said:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16175021%255E663,00.html

Mary vows to raise baby Aussie way
By JACQUELINE FREEGARD
07aug05

PRINCESS Mary is planning to raise her child the Australian way -- whether the Danish royal family like it or not.

Interesting but I've read a few years ago (in Paris-Match) that Fred had a mix upbringing due to the two cultures of his parents. It was more relaxed and fun with the Danish side of his family (where they wrote he could jumps on his grandparents' bed playing with them). On the other hand, with his French relatives it was quite strict which is normal if you consider that in his grandparents' time (and still with some families) children were to be seen and not heard and where physical punishments were common.

oskana said:
Really...so it must be a mannerism she apparently just acqiured huh? Has she had this mannerism before or after she became cp? If she's had this mannerism forever then i apologize for criticizing her in that respect. Your right its poor form to judge a person based on their looks. But to me I was judging her based on her how she carries herself which I thought was ok not whether she's pretty or ugly.

You seem to indicate that she must be a snob since she has her head raised. That is how your posts come across. She does do that, but in so many pictures I've seen she comes across as very warm and caring.

More photos of Mary and Frederik at the premier of "The Little Mermaid", Copenhagen on Aug. 5, 2005.

Photos from Newscom

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 308
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 372
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 378
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 417
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 488
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 300
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 275
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 437
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 333
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 294
Few more photos from Newscom

Attachments

• a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 327
  • a12.jpg
    a12.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 253
  • a13.jpg
    a13.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 721
is that man looking at her stomach? :D

ysbel said:
is that man looking at her stomach? :D

If he is that is quite declasse IMO.

Mary is looking splendid during her pregnancy!!

Frederik looks like he's letting his hair grow out.

Frederik and Mary on holiday in France, (not recent) The first picture was taken on the way to a resturant, the other two are obiously papparazzi pictures taken with long lences on in front of the Chatau. Scanned from S&H

Larzen said:
Frederik and Mary on holiday in France, (not recent) The first picture was taken on the way to a resturant, the other two are obiously papparazzi pictures taken with long lences on in front of the Chatau. Scanned from S&H
They are recent. Is from this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I always enjoy this forum.
I have a question.
Does Mary smoke? In the picture where Frederik and Mary is
going to a restaurant, Mary seems to be holding a cigarette
holder with her small purse. Or is that a camera holder?
I just didn't have the image of Mary smoking, because she seems
like a "healthy sportswoman" type.

The Crown Prince couple may have some problems because Frederik is more open with his emotions and Mary seems more reserved. This isn't impossible to overcome though as long as they maintain a mutual respect for each other and recognize each other's boundaries.

Sakura said:
I have a question.
I think it just on the second picture it look liker Mary smokes.

Sakura said:
I have a question.
I know even some of healthy sportman has smoked little bit.
I think it is a little camera' bag as they are in holiday and as tourist who normaly likes to take some picture in foreign place:D. Anyway, It will not good for her pregnancy if she moke.

galuhcandrakirana said:
I know even some of healthy sportman has smoked little bit.
I think it is a little camera' bag as they are in holiday and as tourist who normaly likes to take some picture in foreign place:D. Anyway, It will not good for her pregnancy if she moke.

Nope, I'm pretty sure she doesn't smoke. There's no pictures of her smoking... and for some reason her teeth doesn't look like that of a smoker's.

Mary doesn't smoke - never has. Frederik has given up for her pregnancy, and hopefully forever.
What I can't understand is how a British news server could take a Woman's Day article as gospel (re the no nannies whatsover). It is quite normal for that weekly mag to make up new stories about royals and celebreties which are absolutely untrue. Just take a photo and make up an attached fairy tale to go with it.
Unfortunately there are half a dozen mags like this in Australia, and I guess while the public still buy their mags and continue to believe the trash they contain, they have no incentive to change their ways.

Fredrik and Mary today at the opening of the Amager Beach Park around noon. Pictures from Polfoto.

Attachments

• Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_1.jpg
    Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_2.jpg
    Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 465
  • Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_3.jpg
    Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 421
  • Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_4.jpg
    Amager Beach 18 aug 2005_4.jpg