Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Leonor will take part in an upcoming state visit to Spain. Perhaps she will since she's an adult now. Can't wait to see her first tiara appearance. I bet she'll wear the floral tiara.

I wonder if Leonor will take part in an upcoming state visit to Spain. Perhaps she will since she's an adult now. Can't wait to see her first tiara appearance. I bet she'll wear the floral tiara.

I believe that she will if she is available, i.e., if it doesn't conflict with her military training schedule.

I suspect she is more likely to make her debut on a state visit by a fellow European monarch, which would be a more familiar setting (literally speaking as all European monarchs are cousins, albeit possibly distant ones).

I would be surprised if she attended a state banquet before competing her military commitments.

I would be surprised if she attended a state banquet before competing her military commitments.
I thought Infantas Elena and Cristina began attending state visits when they reached majority. I thought majority was a turning point.

I thought Infantas Elena and Cristina began attending state visits when they reached majority. I thought majority was a turning point.

Two points. Firstly, Elena & Cristina grew up in very different times, with a different monarch in place. Secondly, neither of E & C were destined to be monarch's themselves.

My sense is we are seeing a much more serious, hardwokring and slimmed down monarchy at work in Spain these days. I expect to see few other members of the family join state banquets, unless they have joined "The Firm". As of now, Leonor as not.

That is true, but the Infantas were not in the military academy.

When was the first state dinner attended by Prince Felipe? I know for sure that he attended the state dinner in honor of Queen Elizabeth II held at the Royal Palace of Madrid, but that was in October 1988 when he was already 20 (and I believe still in military training).

I wouldn't rule it out as the SRF only has 3 working Royals Queen Sofia sadly has attended or been invited to any State Galas since 2014 which is very odd.

I expect to see few other members of the family join state banquets, unless they have joined "The Firm". As of now, Leonor as not.

Actually there have been not soo much in the past. Usually it have been King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, either both Infantas (but sometimes also only one of them) and Felipe but did not attend them direct after turing 18 (or not all of them). Only for some special State Visits (like from the portugese President and the one from Queen Elizabeth II) also Infantas PIlar and Margarita attended too.

Actually there have been not soo much in the past. Usually it have been King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, either both Infantas (but sometimes also only one of them) and Felipe but did not attend them direct after turing 18 (or not all of them). Only for some special State Visits (like from the portugese President and the one from Queen Elizabeth II) also Infantas PIlar and Margarita attended too.

That is the pattern which I think Leonor will follow, i.e., she will not start attending right away, but might show up on a "special visit", which could be, as in his father's case, a visit by the Portuguese president or another European monarch.

After turning 18, she is nonethless clearly an official member of the "Firm". It is symptomatic that she traveled to the Cortes building for her swearing-in ceremony in her own car identified by her personal standard rather than her father's.

By the way, at what age did Prince Felipe get his own Private Secretary within the Royal Household?

Last edited:
T
After turning 18, she is nonethless clearly an official member of the "Firm". It is symptomatic that she traveled to the Cortes building for her swearing-in ceremony in her own car identified by her personal standard rather than her father's.

By the way, at what age did Prince Felipe get his own Private Secretary within the Royal Household?

Since she has been Princess of Asturias, she has always traveled in a car with her standard.

Prince Felipe had a private secretary when he finished university and began to dedicate himself completely to royal activities.

Early Spring is a nice time of the year for a State Visit to the Netherlands :previous:

Hopefully the rumours are true.
That just leaves Norway and Belgium in the European Kingdoms lists to visit.

It is good news if this state visit takes place.

I also hope for a state visit to Norway. Especially because we never saw Queen Letizia in Norway.

Early Spring is a nice time of the year for a State Visit to the Netherlands :previous:

But End of March or April/May would be better as there are then better chances for nice weather then in February.

Well, we return to the same website and therefore to information without much credibility... but they write about a possible visit of King Charles and Queen Camilla to Spain.

https://monarquia.elconfidencialdig...incesa-palacio-real/20231229000000115059.html

If it is true, and in the article it says that the visit will be at the end of January or beginning of February. Let's see if we have confirmation in the first few days of the year. I really want to see Leonor wearing a tiara. :flowers:

Spanish State Visit to the Netherlands, 1980

Queen Beatrix and the Dutch Royal Family hosted King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain on their second State Visit to The Netherlands, in 2001.

It must have been special to her to receive Europe's newest King and of a restored monarchy! And the daughter of Queen Frederika and King Paul, whom she knew well.

I remember this, quite extraordinary, Max taking part as fiancee and with a tiara on her head already.

Now with th Dutch SV on the way, of the EU monarchies only Norway and Belgium remain to be visited. While Belgium got an Introductory Visit, Norway is blank. Both Kings sit on the throne (much) longer than Felipe.
Hopefully it will be done with Harald V still alive.
We've seen Andorra as principality, don't think Monaco is on the cards, possibly Liechtenstein but eventually Luxembourg as Grand Duchy.

Now with th Dutch SV on the way, of the EU monarchies only Norway and Belgium remain to be visited. While Belgium got an Introductory Visit, Norway is blank. Both Kings sit on the throne (much) longer than Felipe.
Hopefully it will be done with Harald V still alive.
We've seen Andorra as principality, don't think Monaco is on the cards, possibly Liechtenstein but eventually Luxembourg as Grand Duchy.
Yes, Norway, Belgium and Luxembourg are missing.
Liechtenstein and Monaco do not usually receive state visits.
I believe that the next state visits to European monarchies by the King and Queen of Spain will be to Norway and Luxembourg, perhaps Belgium will take longer to receive a visit from Felipe and Letizia.

Because of his former girlfriend (Eva Sannum, who attended the wedding reception of Haakon and Mette-Marit with him), Felipe knows Norway very well. I wonder whether that previous relationship somehow may play into them (and especially Letizia) not pushing for Norway - although I am sure they will eventually visit.

Because of his former girlfriend (Eva Sannum, who attended the wedding reception of Haakon and Mette-Marit with him), Felipe knows Norway very well. I wonder whether that previous relationship somehow may play into them (and especially Letizia) not pushing for Norway - although I am sure they will eventually visit.
I don't think that's why, it simply hasn't been provided yet.
A state visit will take place.
Felipe and Letizia normally make two state visits a year, there may be news soon.

The next state visits from Spain should be to Norway, Belgium and Luxembourg

That would be lovely and I hope to see that soon, but within Europe perhaps Italy and Poland would be logical as well. Both large and important EU countries.

Back
Top Bottom