Countess of Wessex Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitated to put those pieces (the sapphries and rubies) on the list, but ended up doing so because they are personal pieces. I think it is highly unlikely that the sapphire suite will ever be taken out of the collection and will most likely be the set that she leaves for longevity. The rubies I put on there because the necklace isn't a family piece, but an auction piece (beautiful though it is, Queen Victoria's is much nicer), and the ruby tiara is also questionable. I don't care for it, but HM does so she may want to leave it to the crown as well.
The Wessexes do have two tiaras (the aquamarine and the diamond element)--and I do think that HM will leave Sophie a more substantial one. I just dont' know which one it will be! That's why I threw the rubies and sapphires on the list. The scroll is always a possibility, but we've not yet seen it......

Last edited by a moderator:
But having a son is not guaranting that the pieces will stay in the Family as we can see at the example of the Duke of Kent.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Andrew was the love child, the one she fought to have, Edward is meant to be Philip's favourite acc. to a biography I read. Yet I think Edward is the one who has given the Queen the least greif during his adult years and marriage, and the one who has the most stability.
What do you mean saying that Andrew is "the one she fought to have"?

I hesitated to put those pieces (the sapphries and rubies) on the list, but ended up doing so because they are personal pieces. I think it is highly unlikely that the sapphire suite will ever be taken out of the collection and will most likely be the set that she leaves for longevity. The rubies I put on there because the necklace isn't a family piece, but an auction piece (beautiful though it is, Queen Victoria's is much nicer), and the ruby tiara is also questionable. I don't care for it, but HM does so she may want to leave it to the crown as well.
The Wessexes do have two tiaras (the aquamarine and the diamond element)--and I do think that HM will leave Sophie a more substantial one. I just dont' know which one it will be! That's why I threw the rubies and sapphires on the list. The scroll is always a possibility, but we've not yet seen it......

You are right in that the rubies don't have a royal provenance, and if the Queen was looking to give a substantial piece of jewellery to another member of the family, they could be contenders.

I also agree with you that Sophie may receive a diamond tiara (and possiby a suite with it) at some stage. We may not know if she already has one, as she is rarely photographed at state banquets, being much further down the receiving line. That said, it is amazing how Princess Michael of Kent manages to make it to the pictures!

That said, it is amazing how Princess Michael of Kent manages to make it to the pictures!

Bless her.
She dose her best to get in on the action.

Give the sappiers to sophie- then she can remodel the Tiara.

Well said! Please, let's do something with that tiara! It's a waste of stones.

Agree with doing something to the tiara, but not with giving it to Sophie!

the earrings are lovely, I have never seen them before? Could they be part of the necklace? has anyone seen both being worn at the same time?

the earrings are lovely, I have never seen them before? Could they be part of the necklace? has anyone seen both being worn at the same time?

If my memory serves me right, Sophie has only been seen wearing the rubies in the last year or so. The first event she wore them to was when she was pictured in the blue dress (1st picture above), which was one of her last public engagements before she gave brith and went on maternity leave. I would be very surprised if the earrings were part of the necklace - those things are quite difficult to put together, and rarely look as elegant and neat as the necklace does. My sense is that they are separate.

Ok I 'm having another look and it looks like the neclace breaks down into a braclet pic 3 and the earrings - the stones in the necklace are all the same size? I hope not, this is some of the best I have seen on Sophie>

The rubies are very beautiful. The aquamarine clips would also be very lovely on her.

Sadly, HM seems to be VERY stingy with allowing any females of the royal family to borrow her jewels....except the Duchess of Cornwall, or the former Princess of Wales.

I always found that curious....that she has such an impressive collection, but does not seem fond of lending them out....of course, we will never know the real reasons why..

Maybe because she do not wont the world to know (remember) the extent of the collection. tax reasons? or a backlash on the royals? Who can tell..

But we get to see the extent of her collection anyway when she wears the jewels herself.

The rubies are beautiful, and especially so on Sophie, but with a blue dress????

Lovely brooch--the outfit, well, I'll just stroll on over to the Fashion Threads for a few minutes.....

The brooches worn by the Countess for the wedding were a gift to her from the Queen Mother on her own wedding. They are diamond clip brooches in art deco style, and can be worn as two brooches or as one large brooch. Sophie has worn them several times since her marriage, including at the Queen Mother's funeral.

The Countess also now has a diamond and sapphire brooch (probably the one you were refering to), in the shape of the crowned initials ER (Elizabeth Regina). It isn't very big, also in art deco style, and probably made for the Queen Mother in the late 1930s after her husband became King . Sophie started wearing this brooch in early 2003, and it was written that it was a gift from the present Queen in memory of the late Queen Mother. (the present Queen Elizabeth inherited all the jewels of her late mother)

found some more info on that brooch that Sophie wore yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom