Princess Beatrice and Eugenie jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Beatrice wearing a tiara that no other current member of the family has worn except Queen Elizabeth II, on her own wedding day no less.

It was Queen Mary's and then QEQM's until her death. And Anne wore it for her first wedding.

I always think how special what both Beatrice and Eugenie did for their weddings -- very much saying I AM A BORN BLOOD PRINCESS DONT FORGET.

Eugenie wearing a tiara that has never been seen worn publicly ever from the royal vault. And Beatrice wearing a tiara that no other current member of the family has worn except Queen Elizabeth II, on her own wedding day no less.

Well, also Anne! Which makes it even more special that it's the wedding tiara of two other princess of royal blood.

Eugenie's has no significant royal connection but THAT EMERALD! probably the most precious one among her generation.

And she also wore a dress that was worn by her Grandmother. To me, that was special. Most of the royal brides have amazing designers creating their dresses, but Bea's topped that just because of who wore the dress before her.

All things considered she looked great at this event. She desperately needed an updo for the tiara though. In many photos it was difficult to see the tiara as her hair looked a bit unkept

Unlike royal women when on a tour, Beatrice doesn't travel with a stylist as private. Doing a very formal updo for a tiara is not a simple task. As much as I would have loved to see an amazing updo with the tiara, she did her best with the situation.

All things considered she looked great at this event. She desperately needed an updo for the tiara though. In many photos it was difficult to see the tiara as her hair looked a bit unkept

I agreed with you until I saw the high resolution video of the evening banquet receiving line.

Beatrice's hair in sharp focus was a glorious mane, and while I do prefer an updo for a tiara, if Beatrice had to keep her hair down she did it correctly.

I'm wondering maybe her gold-pink gala gown is supposed to be her ceremony gala, while the icy blue ceremony gown was planned for the gala, as some other guest had worn the gold-pink gown in the ceremony as well. While I like both gown, the icy blue gown does suit the York tiara much better.

I doubt it. The icy blue dress sees the black belt with the coordinated black bow on her hair. If that were the case, the tiara would have been worn with the bow in the back (otherwise why having a bow with you?), which I doubt.

Also, the icy blue dress is not floor-length, also appropriate to daily events. The gold dress has a hint of a train.

I think Beatrice looks lovely. I prefer tiaras with updos so masses of hair doesn’t get in the way. But most of the female royal guests wore their hair down at the receptions and Beatrice’s hair looks fine. As does her whole look. And the York tiara on a York Princess adds the crowning touch. It’s a lovely tiara and I’m glad it’s not gone wandering off somewhere.
The tiara was a wonderful surprise just wish Beatrice had worn her hair up to complement it better.
Seeing Beatrice wearing the York Tiara was an almost magical moment and I thought she looked really lovely; I too would have loved to see it perched on a magical updo and it really would have made it even better.

However, this was the very first "tiara" engagement that either she or her sister have attended (their weddings notwithstanding) and Beatrice has never worn her hair up so her to expect her to pull off a worthy updo would have been big ask and with all the women getting their hair done that day, finding someone to do Beatrice's would have been miraculous.

However, this was the very first "tiara" engagement that either she or her sister have attended (their weddings notwithstanding) and .......

At least one if not both the York girls attended the CHOGM reception at BP in 2018, which was a tiara event. The York's did not wear tiaras, whilst the working royals all did.

At least one if not both the York girls attended the CHOGM reception at BP in 2018, which was a tiara event. The York's did not wear tiaras, whilst the working royals all did.

Both York women were unmarried in April 2018. Standard practice for English Royals, nobility and ariostracy is only brides and married women wear tiaras

Both York women were unmarried in April 2018. Standard practice for English Royals, nobility and ariostracy is only brides and married women wear tiaras

Not always so. Anne and Margaret both wore tiaras before they were married.

Not always so. Anne and Margaret both wore tiaras before they were married.

So did Princess Alexandra in the UK so it really wasn't/isn't a rule at all.

Last edited:
So did Princess Alexandra in the UK so it really wasn't/isn't a rule at all.

Perhaps not a rule, but more of a precursor to the "working" royal position. Anne, Margaret and Alexandra were all expected to regularly carry out official duties on behalf of the crown, while Beatrice and Eugenie's appearances are fairly rare at official functions except where several family members attend.

Last edited:
I think with Beatrice and Eugenie from now on they will have use of their mother's tiara however they want but only be able to use those from the RF's collection IF they were ever asked to attend a state banquet or the like (i.e were to start doing some level of official events) and even them I think it more likely they'd use Sarah's or simply go without.

Perhaps not a rule, but more of a precursor to the "working" royal position. Anne, Margaret and Alexandra were all expected to regularly carry out official duties on behalf of the crown, while Beatrice and Eugenie's appearances are fairly rare at official functions except where several family members attend.

Anyone can wear a tiara, Elizabeth Taylor liked wearing them in the 50s and 60s, there are no hard and fast rules about them.

Last edited:
Anyone can wear a tiara, Elizabeth Taylor liked wearing them on the 50s and 60s, there are no hard and fast rules about them.

Certainly anyone can wear a tiara. I wore one on my wedding day like many other brides.

For a member of the BRF, however, the practice of what royal jewels to wear and when to wear them is likely quite different than it is for the average woman. Her late majesty didn't exactly hand out tiaras like candy for every event.

Last edited:
Maybe had Beatrice's original Wedding plans gone thru, instead of being derailed by Covid, she *might* have worn the York Tiara.
But I thought it was sooooo special and meaningful that QEll lent her own Wedding Tiara ( and a gorgeous dress) to Beatrice. A magnificent choice to lend big sparkle and royal provenance to Beatrice's scaled down Wedding.

Maybe had Beatrice's original Wedding plans gone thru, instead of being derailed by Covid, she *might* have worn the York Tiara.
But I thought it was sooooo special and meaningful that QEll lent her own Wedding Tiara ( and a gorgeous dress) to Beatrice. A magnificent choice to lend big sparkle and royal provenance to Beatrice's scaled down Wedding.

Why would have the Covid times held her back from wearing the York Tiara? it's not that its a bigger gun than the one she finally wore. Apart from that I think I remember, but sure will be corrected immediately, that the oldest/first princess of the blood of a generation in direct line is wearing it, i.e. Anne before her.

Tirilshatz, what I was saying, is that in light of the unbelievable scaled down Events that Covid protocols necessitated, was that I *believe* ( with no proof) that Queen Elizabeth offered her beloved granddaughter a VERY special gift. Wearing her own magnificent Fringe Tiara on Beatrice's Wedding Day.
Had Beatrice's original Wedding plan been realized....at The Chapel Royal, St James Palace in May of 2020, perhaps She might have worn The York Tiara was all I'm saying. But that Ceremony, and accompanying Reception had to be scrapped. I'm sure that was a disappointment.

Queen Elizabeth made a lovely and personal gesture, by loaning Beatrice a magnificent and treasured heirloom Tiara.

Last edited:
Personally I can see it being true. Zara is the eldest granddaughter and would have been the daughter and granddaughter of wearers so if they really wanted to godown that route is would make just as much sense for Zara to wear it as Beatrice. I simply don't see the tradition for Beatrice wearing it other than it being offered as a gift for the event and matching some of the details of the dress. I can also see the Queen wanting to make it up to her granddaughter marrying in covid times with social distancing and a limited number of guests in her local chapel vs a large scale event by offering her a grand tiara. It also ties in with the idea / theme of borrowing a dress from HM by wearing HM's wedding tiara.

Either are just as likely to be true IMO.

But for the future my bet is both Beatrice and Eugenie will have access to the York tiara whenever they want but not to other tiaras, including their wedding tiaras.

Personally I can see it being true. Zara is the eldest granddaughter and would have been the daughter and granddaughter of wearers so if they really wanted to godown that route is would make just as much sense for Zara to wear it as Beatrice. I simply don't see the tradition for Beatrice wearing it other than it being offered as a gift for the event and matching some of the details of the dress. I can also see the Queen wanting to make it up to her granddaughter marrying in covid times with social distancing and a limited number of guests in her local chapel vs a large scale event by offering her a grand tiara. It also ties in with the idea / theme of borrowing a dress from HM by wearing HM's wedding tiara.

Either are just as likely to be true IMO.

But for the future my bet is both Beatrice and Eugenie will have access to the York tiara whenever they want but not to other tiaras, including their wedding tiaras.
Not really, yes the Queen obviously loves all her granddaughters, but Zara isn’t royal. The tradition would be different because Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise are the only titled granddaughters of the late Queen. Anne was the only Princess in the main line of her generation. But it’s possible the Queen offered the tiara for the special occasion as it would have been her last wedding of a granddaughter she would get to see marry.

Yes I remember that argument coming up and I still don't believe for one second the late Queen wouldn't see Zara as royal but would see Beatrice as royal.

There are dozens of reasons the fringe tiara would have been lent for. Ironically the most clear cut to me is that Beatrice and Eugenie's mother wasn't royal and with access to a variety of tiaras in the way Anne was able to lend her d-i-l and Zara tiaras for their big days.

Last edited:
Yes I remember that argument coming up and I still don't believe for one second the late Queen wouldn't see Zara as royal but would see Beatrice as royal.

There are dozens of reasons the fringe tiara would have been lent for. Ironically the most clear cut to me is that Beatrice and Eugenie's mother wasn't royal and with access to a variety of tiaras in the way Anne was able to lend her d-i-l and Zara tiaras for their big days.
Well, there’s a difference, Beatrice is titled as an HRH Princess in the male line and one of three granddaughters as a Princess is royal by that definition, Zara isn’t, she just has the Queen as her grandmother. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t love them equally or she’s not considered part of her family, but this is the most obvious difference. Sarah didn’t have much access to tiaras because she’s not a blood member of the BRF like Anne and was gifted one tiara by the Queen. A Princess of the blood and a daughter-in-law won’t be the treated the same. Anne was gifted her grandmothers tiara (the Greek meander, the Greville double Greek key, a tiara from the worshipful company) so of course she was able to provide a few tiaras because she owned those as gifts. Sarah was gifted her tiara and kept it. I also added that she was probably gifted it because Beatrice probably would have been the last granddaughter of the blood royal to be married whilst she was alive. Anne owning a tiara or two didn’t make Zara royal.

Last edited:
Personally I believe the loans on tiaras to B&E were because they asked for them and weren't offered something from their mother first, unlike Zara and Autumn who were presumably offered tiaras by Anne before they even needed to ask HM. I'll also add I can imagine Andrew being quite happy to ask for tiaras for his girls but I believe HM would have happily lent tiaras to all her granddaughters if needed and I can't imagine her not lending Zara the fringe tiara if she had expressed a wish to wear the same tiara as her mother and grandmother because there was some plan to only lend it to the oldest Princess granddaughter.

I'm not trying to convince anyone as people are welcome to their own thoughts but thats my thoughts on it.

Back to the discussion about the York tiara I suspect this is the only tiara we will see on either Eugenie or Beatrice anytime soon. Even if she did wear it for her wedding Beatrice is almost certainly not got even wearing rights to the fringe tiara. Given how often Bea at least seems to attend European royal weddings and the like I think we'll see it again.

Last edited:
tommy100, completely agree.

Lets also not forget that the York Girls had been unfortunately saddled with bad press, *mostly* due to their Parents extremely poor choices and antics for years. They got singled out for fashion faux paus, and extravagant vacations that the Press loved to call attention too. That others in their social circle, let alone their cousins, enjoyed. And got passes for.

Sadly, for Beatrice the WHOLE horrid Andrew-Epstein sordid debacle blew wide open in Nov 2019 with the Emily Maitlis Interview. A mere two months after Beatrice got engaged. Unbelievable fallout for the already "troubled" reputations of The Family. The Parents, actually.

Again, I think a loving Grandmother, QEll recognized all of this in play. ON TOP of Covid onerous restrictions. Wasn't it no more than 30 at a gathering allowed ?

With Social Distancing no less. The dress, tiara.....what a loving and special gesture from QEll.

In closing.....nice that Beatrice got The Fringe Tiara. And sooo wonderful to see the lovely York Tiara. Again.

Last edited:
tommy100, completely agree.

Lets also not forget that the York Girls had been unfortunately saddled with bad press, *mostly* due to their Parents extremely poor choices and antics for years. They got singled out for fashion faux paus, and extravagant vacations that the Press loved to call attention too. That others in their social circle, let alone their cousins, enjoyed. And got passes for.

Sadly, for Beatrice the WHOLE horrid Andrew-Epstein sordid debacle blew wide open in Nov 2019 with the Emily Maitlis Interview. A mere two months after Beatrice got engaged. Unbelievable fallout for the already "troubled" reputations of The Family. The Parents, actually.

Again, I think a loving Grandmother, QEll recognized all of this in play. ON TOP of Covid onerous restrictions. Wasn't it no more than 30 at a gathering allowed ?

With Social Distancing no less. The dress, tiara.....what a loving and special gesture from QEll.

In closing.....nice that Beatrice got The Fringe Tiara. And sooo wonderful to see the lovely York Tiara. Again.

It is even possible that Beatrice asked her granny if she could use it, to go with grannys dress.

I don't think for one second that if Zara had wanted to wear the diamond fringe because her mother and grandmother had worn it that the Queen wouldn't have been delighted for her to have had it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom