Duchess of Edinburgh Jewels 1: Mar 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilia C.

Former Moderator
City
O
Country
Germany

Welcome to the
The Duchess of Edinburgh Jewels thread part 1

commencing March 10, 2023

The Countess of Wessex Jewellery Thread can be found here.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.​

Last edited:
What a beautiful piece!

I think Sophie is wearing her aquamarine necklace tiara at the Korean state banquet tonight.

It seems so, and an aquamarine pendant as a necklace. Not the most exiting choices but then she has only two tiaras available to her, this one which she aquired herself IIRC and the construction made of some brooches with tiny diamonds. I imagine the other aquamarine tiara and the floral bandeau she wore in Denmark were loans as we never saw her with them again.

As the duchess supposedly was a great favourite of the Queen it is interesting that she only received one haphazard tiara. Of course for a wife of the youngest brother she has enough jewels, esp. in comparison to other European royals in her position. But considering the enormity of the UK collection it is a pity she can't at least loan some more intresting pieces.

Last edited:
I agree that given the number of times she attends tiara events, I’d like to see her able to loan a tiara, perhaps this may happen with the new monarch.

I believe she wore that other aquamarine tiara (the Queen's) at least twice, if I recall correctly.

However, compared to the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester, she has minimal 'major' pieces.

I must say, though, I've always liked Sophie's convertible necklace-tiara that she's wearing here; though the pendant gets lost in the lace.

I imagine the other aquamarine tiara and the floral bandeau she wore in Denmark were loans as we never saw her with them again.

I believe she wore that other aquamarine tiara (the Queen's) at least twice, if I recall correctly.

Sophie wore the five emerald tiara many times over a decade, but does not appear to have worn it in recent years now. We don't know if it has returned to the vault, or just fallen out of favour with Sophie for now.

Interestingly, she has only worn her own reconstructed wedding tiara once in public, for the 2019 state banquet for Trump and his traveling crew.

Interestingly, she has only worn her own reconstructed wedding tiara once in public, for the 2019 state banquet for Trump and his traveling crew.
Indeed but she had only 2 tiara Events after 2019 last years State Banquet and this one, as she doesn't take part in the diplomatic reception.

However, compared to the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester, she has minimal 'major' pieces.

The difference is that the mother-in-laws of the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester both got a full parure and other tiaras as Wedding gifts which isn't done anymore.

I counted at least five appearances of the five aquamarine tiara on Sophie. That makes me think that is is a permanent loan to her. And I don't think that Charles will retract on his mother's decision to loan it to Sophie. It's probably just that she likes her own aqua tiara as well, so she wears it a lot.

The difference is that the mother-in-laws of the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester both got a full parure and other tiaras as Wedding gifts which isn't done anymore.

Queen Mary's gifts of jewellery to the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester were made in a different era: where a lot more jewellery was worn, and worn more frequently. We are in very different times now. Sophie is provided enough jewellery by the Queen of the day to be suitably bejewelled.

Has the duchess ever worm the Aquamarine Tiara as a necklace?

Sophie's tiara appearance in 2023

Back
Top Bottom